Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New Studiologic Numa X Piano

Hi all

Would someone be kinda enough to recommend me some headphones that they know for a fact work well with numa x piano, I know nothing of headphones but the ones I have are too quiet, id like open backs if possible (nice and loud)

Thanks in advance

I haven't tried the Numa X, but in general that might be an impedance problem if yours work well normally but are too low with the Numa.  If your phones are good ones that you like, one approach you could take would be a small mixer/headphone amp.

As far as open-backed phones, I've got two sets from Massdrop:  58x (hd600) and 6xx (hd650).  Best deal around as far as I'm concerned, especially when they go on sale.   I'm not really sure they'd match well with the Numa however, especially the 6xx (they are a bit quiet with my current headphone outputs, being higher impedance, but not so much that it's a show-stopper.)   If impedance is the issue, then I'd guess you'd need phones with low impedance (or an amp that can drive them.)

On 1/12/2024 at 8:06 AM, Stefan011 said:

On the other hand EPs were disappointing at first. A was used to the great midrangey MkI by Purgatory Creek on Kurzweil. I like my sound more in the style of early Herbie so I rolled off the tines. Here the Mk I sounds rather dull with weak mids. But Mk II and Suitcase respond better and are pretty usable. At least to my ears. Any recommended settings?

Try inserting the "Warm Drive" effect into the first slot and dialing down the gain. You can then use the other two parameters as an eq of sorts.

• Like 1

On 2/16/2024 at 7:52 PM, TomKittel said:

One thing I am missing badly is that velocity settings can’t be saved per program. Velocity can only be set globally. Hope they will fix that in a future update like Yamaha did with the YC series.

Agree with this. Most of the piano samples/models have vastly different dynamic responses and would benefit from being able to be saved per program. It makes a massive difference to the playability.

• Like 3

On 3/18/2024 at 1:24 PM, Kilfo said:

Hi all

Would someone be kinda enough to recommend me some headphones that they know for a fact work well with numa x piano, I know nothing of headphones but the ones I have are too quiet, id like open backs if possible (nice and loud)

Thanks in advance

I’ve been very happy with Philips Fidelio X2HR phones - not specifically designed as studio phones but work well with the Numa X, and loud enough for me.

I don’t know where you are based, but in the UK Amazon has a good deal on the Philips headphones at the moment. May be similar deals in other countries. They also have Sennheiser HD 599 Special Edition phones at a similar price - another option for you which gets good reviews.

On 3/20/2024 at 2:33 AM, SLHQC said:

Agree with this. Most of the piano samples/models have vastly different dynamic responses and would benefit from being able to be saved per program. It makes a massive difference to the playability.

I asked Studiologic for this feature update. Here is their answer: “we got very few requests of this kind, probably because all internal Sounds already have specific velocity sensitivities according to the type of sounds.” 

If you like please send a request to info@studiologic-music.com and cc lorenzo.torregiani@studiologic-music.com

LIFE IS SHORT, GO GET THE GEAR YOU WANT ;-)

On 2/20/2023 at 7:04 AM, CyberGene said:

@AnotherScott, here's a screenshot from the manual:

image.thumb.png.2536058105da74ceee93393da9521c42.png

I wanted to follow-up on the usage of External MIDI zones, specifically in reference to a Global Setting that is present, but undocumented in the user manual:

MERGE IN: [OFF] [TO DIN] [TO USB]

This setting, when set TO USB, was the crucial missing link to enabling me to control an external MODULE with an external KEYBOARD, through the Numa X.

Many others have already reported how simple it is to add a modern iPad, as a sound source, to the Numa X. You simply connect the USB-B port on the NX to the USB-C port on the iPad, and then configure an EXTERNAL MIDI zone's "MIDI Port" setting as [MIDI USB]. Voile; MIDI flows to the iPad, audio flows back to the NX, over the same cable. You select and play the EXTERNAL MIDI zone exactly like a zone that plays one of the NX's internal voices.

This is a great feature, as long as you want to play the external zone using the NX's keyboard -- but I wanted to play it from an external keyboard controller, and still have the NX be the only "main out" for all of my audio.  I had already accomplished this in another way, by MIDI-connecting the external keyboard directly to the iPad and connecting the iPad's headphone output to the NX's built-in mixer. But that required "yet-another-cable", an iPad dongle to get at its audio (since modern ones don't have a headphone jack), and just required more moving parts than I'd prefer for live setup and performance.  What I wanted was to be able to play the iPad, from the external keyboard, through an EXTERNAL MIDI zone.

And here's where the MERGE IN and COMMON CHANNEL global settings come into play.

1. Select a preset on the NX where all 4 zones are assigned to an internal voice.
  2. Set MERGE IN to [OFF].
  3. Set COMMON CHANNEL to [OFF].  This assigns MIDI channel values of 1-4 to the NX zones 1-4, respectively.  You can still play all of the (unmuted) zones from the NX's keyboard, in the usual way.
  4. Connect an external keyboard controller to the NX, using a standard 5-pin MIDI DIN cable. Set the controller's MIDI channel value to 4; you can now play the zone 4 internal voice from the external controller.
  5. Set the controller's MIDI channel value to 3 (or 2, or 1); you can now play that zone's internal voice from the controller.
  6. Connect the iPad and the NX using a USB-B-C cable, as described above.
  7. Configure the software instrument on your iPad to use MIDI channel 6 (for example).
  8. Likewise, set the controller's MIDI channel value to 6 (to match the iPad); play the controller -- you will hear no audio.
  9. Set MERGE IN to [TO USB].
  10. Now play the controller -- you will hear the audio from the iPad!
  11. Set zone 4 on the NX back to internal voice; now you have access to 5 voices -- the 4 internal zones, plus the external connection to the iPad.

So you see, you can have it both ways. Connect to the iPad through a zone, and you have access to the real-time knobs to control whatever CC values you want to manipulate while playing.  Or, bypass the zones by connecting on a MIDI channel higher than 4, and you can still control the iPad instrument from anything available on the external keyboard AND still have the 4 internal zones available for playing from the NX's keyboard.

Legend '70s Compact, Jupiter-Xm, Studiologic Numa X 73

• 1 month later...