Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Semi-On Topic: a busy week

Some personal, some musical, hopefully not a waste of your collective time.

Monday

My brother's body is put on the plane from Berlin to Dulles. He had died of pancreatic cancer a couple of weeks ago, less than 4 weeks after diagnosis.

I read on FB that a kid who goes to my church, and sometimes hangs with me at the high school, has Covid. We had had contact the previous week. Great.

Tuesday

I wake up with a mild sore throat. I go into work. (public schools, multi-site IT guy)

After short discussion with school administrators -- "Go get tested now" -- I go get tested.

15-minute test is negative, or I would say "non-positive." Negative results aren't very trustworthy. Tester tells me to take a second, 48-hour test for much better safety. We do that too. I take two days' sick leave.

I e-mail my band that I cannot practice Wednesday, being under isolation pending test. The band is very understanding, despite the fact that we have an engagement scheduled for Friday at a state park, which translates to both above-average money and above-average exposure. They reschedule practice for Thursday night, in hopes that I will get a negative test result.

I e-mail my siblings that I may have Covid, that would interfere somewhat with attending my brother's burial on Saturday.

Thursday

I receive the "slow" Covid test results, also negative, I'm cleared to interact with humans again.

I go into work, take care of a few things, notify the band that I am fit for duty.

Practice with the band, and I mention to them that it is essential I get home as soon as possible (90 minute drive from the gig) on Friday night, as I am burying my brother on Saturday morning (45 minute drive to the grave site). Specifically, no dallying or playing past 9 PM -- I have to rest some time. They all promise to help me out with that.

Friday

The schools all have the day off, for the County Fair / Labor Day weekend. (The fair itself was cancelled due to Covid epidemic, but the schools had already given us the day off.)

9:15 -- 1:30 Go to a dentist for a molar I'd broken Monday night. Nearest one that can take me before mid-September is an hour's drive each way.

1:30 -- 2:30 Rest for half hour, and pack vanload of instruments for the state park, 90 minutes away.

20 minutes road work delay, then I get to the wrong part of state park. 10+ more minutes delay getting to the right part. Arrive slightly late, 4:15, to set up for 6 PM gig. For the first time, we have no sound man. I now get to run FOH while playing keyboards. Yip--pee!

6:10 -- 9:00 Good performance, except the lead singer promises the audience we will run over a little to compensate for a late start. I tell her -- on stage -- don't say that, I gotta leave. Awkward to bicker during a set. The band backs me. At 9 PM everyone helps me pack out, and I am out of there by 9:15 -- pretty good for loading a minivan with three keyboards, four stands, a rack of equipment, all the wires that connect them, yada yada yada.

10:30 Home. Terrible backache from playing / driving / stress. Asleep by 11:30, aided by wife's prescription backache pill.

Saturday

My wife and I get to the graveyard (in another county) in time for the burial, but the officiating pastor (a friend of mine, I booked him for the gig) was sent elsewhere by Siri. Ancient VFW men in VFW uniforms with blank-filled guns and an electric bugle are standing out in the sun. I agree to start without the pastor, who is now headed to the right graveyard. He arrives by the time the flag has been folded. All's good. Cheap wooden coffin is actually more beautiful than many we have seen in the past. Wife and I get home around 1 PM, and I sleep hard for 3-4 hours.

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tom - sorry to hear of the loss of your brother. I am relieved that you don't have covid - get some rest brother!

Korg Kronos 61 (2); Kurzweil PC4, Roland Fantom-06, Casio PX-350M; 2015 Macbook Pro and 2012 Mac Mini (Logic Pro X and Mainstage), GigPerformer 4.

Pardon me for projecting my own feelings onto your situation, but it seems to me you have to live for your brother now, too. Double your enjoyment, double your passion, double everything.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64