Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Looking at a Kronos 61 - still viable?

A Korg Kronos 61 (original with OS 3.3) showed up locally. I haven't seen one of these come on the used market in a long time. Just wondering what y'all think about its viability these days?

The price is about half the full retail from the pics and the seller tells me it's in excellent condition, used mostly as a sound source in his home studio.

I really like the GrandStage but have often wanted to get into some deeper editing of the core sounds â looks like the Kronos might be the ticket.

Anyone?

Here for the gear.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Differences among the Kronos variants are minimal, and it's still Korg's top of the line.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I would say so. I still have 2 of the 61s (primary and backup). They've been my sole sound sources in two bands (70s/80s rock band and a Genesis tribute band) since I bought them new in 2011. The only downside to the original is the lack of RAM, but you can install it yourself (I added memory to both of mine).

Korg Kronos 61 (2); Kurzweil PC4, Roland Fantom-06, Casio PX-350M; 2015 Macbook Pro and 2012 Mac Mini (Logic Pro X and Mainstage), GigPerformer 4.

A Korg Kronos 61 (original with OS 3.3) showed up locally. I haven't seen one of these come on the used market in a long time. Just wondering what y'all think about its viability these days?

?

I am not aware of the 'market' in BC. I am a Korg/ used Kronos watcher, and reverb has from 30-50 used K's thru-out

the past few years. I go by Reverb as being a good indicator of value.

and you say " original "

That sounds like the K1 - which might be 9-10 yrs old. Which isn't necessarily a problem.

depending on all the details, if the owner enhanced it, took perfect care of it, and if its exactly what you require,

it might be viable for some years.

I am a 10 yr Kronos owner. I am confident of enjoying it for another 3-5 years.

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

An original 61, yes. Still very viable. I would avoid hammer action K1's because of the triggering issues. The interface can be just a bit slower and overall it has a little less power under the hood, but it is still a great instrument. I had three Kronos at one point. Not because I needed them, but after I upgraded to the latest version I didn't want to sell the K1 for the going price. The keyboard was better than that, but the release of two updates drove the price down. I finally relented and sold mine and am now down to a single K2 61. There really is not much difference between the original and the K2. Go for it.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

I would say yes. I have had a Kronos 2 61 for about 5 years and have no GAS for a replacement. I honestly don't spend much time playing it at home but for my live gigs (back in the days before C-19) it was just the ticket. Set List let me keep my iPad at home. It covers a really wide range of sounds and the action is light but really nice.

Yes, it's a complicated beast and not really the thing for Monday night blues jam. But it lets me do all sorts of splits/velocity layer tricks etc that are desirable when you cover rock/pop tunes in a duo. (e.g. I've got a combi that uses 15 parts for Depeche Mode's "Enjoy the Silence." )

I really enjoy having two main boards that are on opposite ends of the spectrum: Nord Stage is intuitive, easy to adjust things on the fly and I rarely do anything complicated from a programming perspective. Kronos is deep and involves menus, but with planning and programming, lets me do things live that I could never do with just the Stage. Feel lucky to be at a point in my life where I don't have to compromise...which has now put me in the weird position of having more disposable income to spend on music toys than ever... and less desire to do it. :)

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

Most instrument line updates and reveals have been changes in UI design following Nord"s lead on the front panel of the Stage. As far as workstations - what has been a tech jump ahead of Kronos? Competitors are still playing catch up. Alternatives would be - Kurzweil but 61 keys? PC4-7 is due soon, but the Forte and K2700 are not in the smaller synth action format yet. Roland has a new Fantom 6 worth a look. Yamaha the Montage comes in a 61k.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

I really like the GrandStage...

If you really like the "GrandStage" piano, it's not available in the Kronos. I happen to dig it, but of course YMMV.

Another original Kronos user here (although an 88) and still going strong!

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

I"m aware. The GrandStage piano is apparently a hybrid of the best elements of the others. And I see the Nautilus has its own Nautilus Grand as well - probably the same thing.

Here for the gear.

Absolutely. Only you can decide what your taste/needs are for critical sounds like acoustic piano, organ etc. but it is an absolute workhorse. Sonically very versatile, plenty of hardware controllers, and able to do lots of splits, layers, load custom samples, arrange sounds into gig-ready setlists and so on. It's complex, and sound/sample file management is arcane, but learnable. Certainly worth considering - its age should not be a factor to worry that is has become outdated. Or surpassed.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but OS upgrades are available to bring new functionality to the original Kronos? I agree that it's still "top dog workstation" despite its age.

Cheers, Mike.

The Kronos is still the best workstation imo just not playing Journey anymore is a blessing cause I did that in my younger days.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but OS upgrades are available to bring new functionality to the original Kronos?

Cheers, Mike.

https://www.korg.com/us/news/2019/030502/

almost 3 yrs since the last OS rev. All bug fixes on 3.1.3 AFAIK

Not holding my breath for anything further.

[70's Songwriter]

With the Nautilus incoming, I'm watching the price of the Korg Kronos.

I might be tempted to buy a brand new Kronos and keep it in the box until the workstation renaissance comes around. :D

If all goes well, selling that brand new Kronos 10 years from now should pad my retirement account. :laugh::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

If all goes well, selling that brand new Kronos 10 years from now should pad my retirement account. :laugh::cool:

I admire anyone who can predict the future with some accuracy ;)

[70's Songwriter]

Absolutely. Only you can decide what your taste/needs are for critical sounds like acoustic piano, organ etc. but it is an absolute workhorse. Sonically very versatile, plenty of hardware controllers, and able to do lots of splits, layers, load custom samples, arrange sounds into gig-ready setlists and so on. It's complex, and sound/sample file management is arcane, but learnable. Certainly worth considering - its age should not be a factor to worry that is has become outdated. Or surpassed.

+1.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

The list of features still make it a competitor today after 10 years (announced at NAMM January 2011). I got one of the first built. Besides the various engines, multiple VAs, SST, Set List Mode, perhaps my favorite is the ability to stream multi-GB sound libraries from the SSD. How many others can do that? Even my studio computer takes time and headaches to load software instruments. Sure, it takes some setup but afterwards, with the touch a button on my Kronos Set List, I have immediate access to gorgeous strings, multi-layered Steinway, Fazioli pianos and many of Busch's fabulous EPs steaming huge GBs of samples. This allows me to take my best studio instruments with me without the mess of a laptop.
Lenny

.... I have immediate access to gorgeous strings, multi-layered Steinway, Fazioli pianos and many of Busch's fabulous EPs steaming huge GBs of samples.

..not to mention his fabulous D6 Clavinet samples which are priced at exactly $0 !!!

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

If you watch closely, you will likely find a K2 for half the original price. I bought my first K2 73 off of Reverb for just over $2000, and it wasn"t even broken in. I decided I wanted another for rehearsals and found a K2 88 locally on CL last March for about the same, also nearly unused. Due to challenges syncing data between the 73 and 88 layout, I sold the 88 and found another K2 73 again for the same price range, and again not even broken in.

The Kronos is a beast, and it will take the normal player years to explore and master all of its capabilities, even now 10 years after its initial release.

I"d encourage you to give it serious consideration. While the Nautilus is brand new, it is not a Kronos replacement IMHO and, for me, there"s no substituting the convenience and functionality of the control surface.

I have both the 61 and 73 for my Genesis tribute rig and they are excellent.

Can't understand why anyone would put a life expectancy on them, these machines will go on forever, hardware failure being the limitation.

I've only scratched the surface but it more than fulfils my needs.

Still have that quick of setlist patches not sounding on the first press though...........

Yamaha CP70B;Roland XP30/AXSynth/Fantom/FA76/XR;Hammond XK3C SK2; Korg Kronos 73;ProSoloist Rack+; ARP ProSoloist; Mellotron M4000D; GEM Promega2; Hohner Pianet N, Roland V-Grand,Voyager XL, RMI

As the OP I'll thank everyone who posted. I did get that Kronos61 on Friday night â almost like an undercover operation. Turns out the owner works for a cartage firm and had a driver coming over to the Island that day, so armed with the info and after advance E-Transfer of funds, I met the driver under a street light in the parking lot of the UPS depot as he pulled in to the loading dock. He'd carried it over in his cab â wouldn't even accept a tip for his effort â said it was a favour for the owner, he's such a nice guy. Whew!

It's in excellent shape â almost brand new â more than I expected for a 10 year old instrument. After spending much of Saturday cleaning it obsessively, setting up, installing the latest OS and downloading manuals, I was pretty gassed. Sunday was programming day, and as I've learned about complex interfaces, you just have to jump in and do stuff, trial & error. When all else fails, reboot. Then find out what you don't know as you go along.

I've got the beginnings of a kind of "master setlist" that comes up on startup. Nice, deep editing of the sounds I really liked on GrandStage are finally possible. One thing I haven't found is the Berlin Piano. Every tutorial I've seen shows it, but I'm assuming it's a download purchase. I like it because it has real una corda. I'll be off to Purgatory Creek soon, probably for Busch's MK1 and Yamaha C7.

Thanks again, guys!

Here for the gear.