Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roland is joking...

I could be wrong - often am - but looking at the cloud membership packages I think you need the Pro package rather than the Core ($30) to get the forthcoming Model Expansions? So its a fair bit more expensive to access those.

Have been having a bit of a scout around the Zenology setup - it is a bargain as Woody says and the sounds are really excellent. Its an interesting comparison to something like Arturias Analog Lab offering with their controllers and I wonder whether something like Rolands new A-88 will automatically map to Zenology? I do find though the GUI at present little basic visually and again compared to something like Analog Lab, theres no option in this version for multis/splits etc. Its not standalone either from what I can see which is a shame, as you could just stick it on a MBP without the need for a DAW, pair it with a controller and you"ve got a 'best of Roland" gigging workstation. All that said its $30 and release day one! - theres plenty of exciting potential here I think

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The title of this thread should state "Zenology"

Not surprised you can get close to the $$4000 Fantom with the $199 Zenology subscription.

Last year, I noticed all the Roland XV sounds could be rented for your DAW. That was a big clue for me, that Roland was going to build their Cloud.

The future or at least the big promise, has always been software.

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

Not surprised you can get close to the $$4000 Fantom with the $199 Zenology subscription.

Except for V-Piano and Drums, all the stock tones of the Fantom are also in the $1200 RD88. And lots of them are in the even cheaper AX-Edge, too (and with the Zen-core compatibility, I guess the rest will follow). I think the bigger appeal of the Fantom (other than the V-Piano if that's your thing) is the control surface, interface, keys, connectivity, MIDI and Mainstage functions... IOW, what's unique is more about ergonomics and workflow than the basic sounds. Kind of like it's a high end controller, except they threw in a bunch of sounds. ;-)

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

So this has the same sounds as that.... but do they actually sound the same?

I've seen comparisons between the DS88 and a Fantom something or other. They sounded very close to the same but the Fantom just sounded a bit richer.

Sometimes not even by much. Is that algorithms or hardware? Are VSTs going to sound like the hardware version or like a less rich version? Somebody needs to do a real side by side between a hardware board and the matching vst.

FunMachine.

I would guess V piano will arrive later on the Cloud. The Roland drums have their moments but are not my 1st choice.

anyway, I am a home studio person. I can overcome or adapt to software. I love the Fantom screen but can get over not having it.

For me, looks like the days of pricey multiple keyboards is over.

[70's Songwriter]

Ed Diaz and Scott Berry on their Synth Talk Youtube today was say the new Roland Cloud Zenology site is just at basic release at this point that much, much more is going to be added moving forward. So seems like a hell of a deal for the money.

I see this as Roland seeing subscription products are the way of the world today streaming music, movies, games, books, magazines, software, and thing that can be digitized can be sold via subscription to keep a perpetual stream of money coming in with everything moving to be a service. Even Tesla is investing in Hardware As a Service and paying a subscription to have cars available on demand.

So this has the same sounds as that.... but do they actually sound the same?

I've seen comparisons between the DS88 and a Fantom something or other. They sounded very close to the same but the Fantom just sounded a bit richer.

Sometimes not even by much. Is that algorithms or hardware? Are VSTs going to sound like the hardware version or like a less rich version? Somebody needs to do a real side by side between a hardware board and the matching vst.

Yea if I had one choice KRONOS is still the king. The Fantom still needs updates to compete in bread and butter sounds. Ed can you hear me and I will hang up and listen.

'

Anyone knows if this also requires the annoying 'must log once a week in Cloud' to make sure the VST works?

I think this answers my question... I think account must be logged in.

"Additionally, all members will have the option to purchase lifetime keys, which gives them unrestricted access to a single Roland software instrument for as long as their account is active."

Source:

https://www.engadget.com/roland-slashes-the-starting-price-of-its-cloud-synth-subscriptions-070036849.html

yes, as a previous poster noted, roland releasing the synth engine and tones from their current hardware as a $30 plugin will make people think twice about buying the hardware. of course there are many other factors to consider when choosing between hardware/software but for many people the plugin will get the job done.

Korg also make their synths available as VSTs, but only the vintage stuff.

This is a rather radical and courageous move from Roland. And I think, incredibly generous. They must be betting on selling a ton of subscriptions and I hope they will.

Agreed.

Roland has invested in Cloud technology a 1-2 years ago. I thought it was a smart move.

Their competition has not adopted the Cloud AFAIK.

The sub prices are attractive since the objective is to build a user/customer base.

Get users hooked [ in a good way] and offer them more content down the road.

This is a great option for the home studio musician.

[70's Songwriter]

How is Roland "Cloud" any different from Native Instruments, Ableton, etc....? All the Roland VST's still reside on your PC, right? I remember trying the demo a while back and it was just a bunch of downloads like anything else. Or has something changed?

A "lifetime" key is for what exactly? .....only that specific current version/engine of the VST? When it inevitably switches to a new branding/engine/whatever, and they drop support (or dump) the one you have, then you have access to the newest sparkly bestest version?

Not compatible with Integra 7? Wow...

What would you have expected (or at least hoped for) the Integra to be able to do here?

Has Roland really done anything decent aside from the VR-09/VR-730 in the last 10 years?

Lots. I've happily purchased the AX-Edge and some Boutique modules (the SE-02 and JP-08 are my pick, though I was also tempted by the D-05). The JD-XA is a very cool analog/hybrid synth (I know the System 8 VA has its fans too). I think the Juno DS61 is the best performance keyboard in its price range, and even better, they came out with a 76. (Maybe a tough call between that and the Numa Compact 2X, each strong in areas where the other is weak.) If I was going to buy a lightweight hammer action with speakers today, it could well be the RD88 which looks like it might be best of breed (though Casio PX560 is good competition there, again, with different strengths). And to get back to Tony's post, Integra is a compact lightweight flexible rack module with some very high quality sounds... it's still the only source for most Roland SuperNatural Acoustic tones. Look at that list, that's a whole bunch of places where not only does Roland have a decent product, but where, often, Yamaha and Korg barely even compete.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

How is Roland "Cloud" any different from Native Instruments, Ableton, etc....? All the Roland VST's still reside on your PC, right? I remember trying the demo a while back and it was just a bunch of downloads like anything else. Or has something changed?

A "lifetime" key is for what exactly? ....

The 'Cloud' part is the authentication method, basically. The plug-ins are just regular plug-ins that do reside on your hard drive.

This is the main PITA with the setup, ironically. I"m currently subscribed to the Ultimate plan which is the 'everything' plan for about $20/mo. But I strongly dislike the way Cloud has to check the authentication once a week - and I could swear it was sometimes more often than that. Or, that I put my computer online for it to supposedly check it for one instrument...and then open another only to see that it didn"t do it for that one.

The instruments themselves sound good, but most are still very CPU-heavy. The infamous 'Cloud Manager' (which you have to use) is a bloated, buggy mess.

A 'lifetime key' basically lets you buy your way out of all this hassle for a single Roland plug-in. The prices were way off IMO, though.

• 2 weeks later...