Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Do you move when you play?

TommyRude

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I didn't think I moved too much until my church started streaming our performance on face book. Watching myself do what looks like some sort of nerd dance while jerking my head sideways from time to time! Why didn't anyone tell me? ~BOB
I'm practicing so that people can maybe go "wow" at an imaginary gig I'll never play. -Nadroj

I didn't think I moved too much until my church started streaming our performance on face book. Watching myself do what looks like some sort of nerd dance while jerking my head sideways from time to time! Why didn't anyone tell me? ~BOB

No one told you that you... bob... your head side to side?

Sorry, couldn't resist :laugh:

Side note: Several of my very favorite musicians move *very* little when playing. I guess complex music requires your 100%! I'm thinking Coltrane, Zawinul, Shorter, Holdsworth, Gordon Beck...

Addendum: tonight one of my band's guitarists asked me why I want to do the Reelin' in the Years guitar solo on my keytar by myself, rather than as a duet with him. I answered that the whole point of me doing the song is to show off.

He replied, "You're always showing off -- you jump around behind those keyboards like some kind of Muppet."

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

Ive recently started playing in a tribute show where the playing itself isnt that involved, but the whole show is set up more like a theater performance where Im playing the part. The original keyboard player has this sort of C-3PO-craving-for-recognition vibe going on, so...yeah, I move a lot. Gesticulating weirdly, drawing parts in the air, all that.

"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement" (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)

The Drawbars | off jazz organ trio

The other end of the spectrum :)

[video:youtube]

That's just flat out creepy. :o

MainStage; Hammond SK1-73; Roland XP-80, JV-90, JV-1080, JV-1010, AX-1; Korg microSAMPLER;

Boss DR-880; Beat Buddy; Neo Instruments Ventilator; TC Electronic ND-1 Nova Delay

Not really. Intense head-bobbing and random non-synced leg movement is about all you get even if I'm standing. If dancing becomes a requirement I'll just quit playing live LOL!

I do get that audiences care more about the "fun factor" in bands than the actual music (see: acceptance of tracks aka karaoke) but it's not in me to dance around. If I was doing it for a living then my tune would change I'm sure :D

Apparently not only do I move when I play, I'm told it is very distinctive and unique,
I would love to see this!

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Apparently not only do I move when I play, I'm told it is very distinctive and unique, which can be confirmed by the number of people who do impressions of me playing! :blush:
I would love to see this!
Here you go

[video:youtube]

Some music I've recorded and played over the years with a few different bands

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

I try to but it depends on the gig, my comfort level, the circumstances. When I was really comfortable, playing every weekend, and putting on big shows - I moved A LOT. Especially if I took lead vocals, guitar, or wireless sax where I could run around the stage or even go out in the crowd. I got in trouble at one venue for playing a sax solo out on top of a kind of half wall. They said I couldn't go out there for insurance reasons. But if I'm less comfortable and just trying to get through the gig, I'll be standing behind the keyboards staring at my hands hoping not to screw up. Just depends. But I always at least TRY to put on a show.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Look at my avatar... 'nuff said

Your avatar isn't moving.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Side note: Several of my very favorite musicians move *very* little when playing. I guess complex music requires your 100%! I'm thinking Coltrane, Zawinul, Shorter, Holdsworth, Gordon Beck...

Yeah, but then you got Sherinian, Jaco, Emerson, Cory Henry. Personally, I move because it's part of the music, it actually helps me keep better time and feel.

BTW: I think Zawinul and Shorter purposefully stiffened up during the Jaco era to try to get him to shape up. Joe moved more in the Syndicate.

Puck Funk! :)

Equipment: Laptop running lots of nerdy software, some keyboards, noise makersâ¦yada yada yadaâ¦maybe a cat?

Archived