Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What new condiments would you like to see at Whattaburger?

Tonysounds

Then there's Redamak's, in New Buffalo, MI. We live about a half-hour away; so from March through mid-November we usually make at least three trips. A top-notch burger that refuses to be chained. Redamak's is essentially a religion to my wife's family - a rather happy discovery early on in the relationship.

There used to be a Redamak's on Lincoln when my wife and were still dating. Every bit as good as the MI store.

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Let's hear it for the one and only true King God O' the Universe of burgers. In-N-Out.

All other burgers must bow down to your greatness.

For the life of me, I do not get the infatuation with in-N-Out. I think the hype actually sets expectations too high. :idk:

Don't get me wrong -not a bad burger by any stretch...but Fatburger, The Habit, Five Guys - all as good...or better, IMO.

:saber::puff:

dB

+1. New Mexicans go nuts for it (we dont have one), but having been a few times, its no different than Whattaburger. 5 Guys, okay that's pretty next level for a chain. but in n out....meh.

I'd drop the Habit from your list. they aren't any better that I&O imho.

Islands makes a good burger and fries ... you can watch surf videos on the TVs while you eat.

The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

Islands makes a good burger and fries ... you can watch surf videos on the TVs while you eat.

Absolutely! As chain burger places go, Islands is pretty great. I also dont get the whole In-N-Out fixation. Utterly forgettable. I find most local institutions are like that, as people are tasting fond childhood memories more than the food. To an uninvested outsider the experience falls far short.

It was like the first time I was in Philadelphia and found out that the classic cheesesteak is made with Cheez Whiz. Really? Thats the culinary delight you chose to build a reputation around? Sorry, but youre no poutine.

Acoustic: Shigeru Kawai SK-7 ~ Breedlove C2/R

MIDI: Kurzweil Forte ~ Sequential Prophet X ~ Yamaha CP88 ~ Expressive E Osmose

Electric: Schecter Solo Custom Exotic ~ Chapman MLB1 Signature Bass

I'm personally a Red Robin fan. Hated Fuddrucker's in the 1980s.

Around here, the 800 pound, uh, steer is Burgatory, a couple hours away in Pittsburgh. If you're too good for Angus, you can also have your burger made from bison or Japanese wagyu beef.

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

Dried rat flakes. Hey, why not, I've enjoyed a few things that sounded far worse. It might add to the novelty of the food and I'd enjoy watching people scream upon realizing what it was. I've had sushi and fried octopus. Suck it up, you culinary cowards.

Lab Mode splits between contemplative work and furious experiments.
Both of which require you to stay the hell away from everyone else.
This is a feature, not a bug.
Kraftwerk’s studio lab, Kling Klang,
 didn’t even have a working phone in it.
       ~ Warren Ellis

It was like the first time I was in Philadelphia and found out that the classic cheesesteak is made with Cheez Whiz. Really? Thats the culinary delight you chose to build a reputation around?

No, it isn't. :idk:

Many of us like our cheesesteaks with the equally classic white American cheese. Whiz - ugh. :eek:

You can also get a pizza steak with either provolone or mozzarella. :thu:

dB

Native Philadelphian

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

Many of us like our cheesesteaks with the equally classic white American cheese. Whiz - ugh. :eek:

Perhaps it was just the locals trying to horrify a tourist. I'm glad to hear that there's tradition attached to something more sane as well. We certainly had ours with something recognizable as actual cheese when we were there.

Acoustic: Shigeru Kawai SK-7 ~ Breedlove C2/R

MIDI: Kurzweil Forte ~ Sequential Prophet X ~ Yamaha CP88 ~ Expressive E Osmose

Electric: Schecter Solo Custom Exotic ~ Chapman MLB1 Signature Bass

I also dont get the whole In-N-Out fixation. Utterly forgettable. I find most local institutions are like that, as people are tasting fond childhood memories more than the food. To an uninvested outsider the experience falls far short.
I totally get the local childhood loyalty concept. In-N-Out does have that, but a couple of reasons they have lines out the door is because they use fresh ingredients and have had consistently high quality for generations. Way different than some local greasy burger joint. And the $25 burger at Islands is in a different category, you need a knife & fork to eat it, and frankly most gourmet burgers are woefully overrated.

As for 'gross' local legends, I would put a lot of UK food into that bucket. Like fish & chips, comes wrapped in a newspaper and is super greasy and god awful. Great beer but the food, not so much!

Some music I've recorded and played over the years with a few different bands

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

I'd drop the Habit from your list. they aren't any better that I&O imho.

Agreed. When they first showed up around here it was hyped as the greatest show on earth. meh. Also, people tend to call it the "Hobbit" for some reason which I don't get either.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

I've tried most of 'em, but my fave from my younger days is still White Castle. Useta buy a bag of 'em at 2 in the morning for 25¢ each. Fried onions and grease - cure for what ails ya. These days the only burgers I can eat are In & Out protein style - wrapped in lettuce leaves and no bun - for my diabetic low carb diet. And french fries are out of the question.
These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

I've tried most of 'em, but my fave from my younger days is still White Castle. Useta buy a bag of 'em at 2 in the morning for 25¢ each. Fried onions and grease - cure for what ails ya.

The best thing about the Castle at 2 a.m. is the floor show you inevitably get from the local drunks and weirdos hanging out.

Moe

---

I've tried most of 'em, but my fave from my younger days is still White Castle. Useta buy a bag of 'em at 2 in the morning for 25¢ each. Fried onions and grease - cure for what ails ya.

The best thing about the Castle at 2 a.m. is the floor show you inevitably get from the local drunks and weirdos hanging out.

My 2 a.m. post-gig grease job and freak show was always Tommy's Burgers at the corner of Beverly and Rampart. Epic.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

Regarding condiments, I only do cheese, lettuce, tomato and ketchup. Nothing too fancy.

My go-to burger set is cheese, onions (preferably fried), lettuce, mayo and ketchup...and bacon (when available). :thu:

No tomatoes, no pickles, no mustard. :hand:

I'm also a big fan of the BBQ/Western burger - cheddar, bacon, onion ring(s), BBQ sauce.

dB

It was like the first time I was in Philadelphia and found out that the classic cheesesteak is made with Cheez Whiz. Really? Thats the culinary delight you chose to build a reputation around?

You can also get a pizza steak with either provolone or mozzarella. :thu:

dB

Native Philadelphian

WORD. Never been a fan of the whiz.

The cheesesteak "with sauce" though was a staple (but def not the only option) out where I grew up, 40 min NW of Philly. To this day I still enjoy a modest dab of sauce. And always onions. And if I'm feeling crazy some lettuce/tomato/mayo as well.

I did enjoy a few whiz-steaks in my day but afterwards always felt dirty. Not unlike one would feel after hooking up with an ex - seems like a genius idea before execution, delicious and satisfying while being consumed, and upon a completion the feeling of overwhelming dread and regret "God what have I done??!!"

My 2 a.m. post-gig grease job and freak show was always Tommy's Burgers at the corner of Beverly and Rampart. Epic.

Been there many many times for the chili-cheese burgers, definitely a local institution! You're a brave soul for heading there past midnight though!

Some music I've recorded and played over the years with a few different bands

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

The cheesesteak "with sauce" though was a staple (but def not the only option) out where I grew up, 40 min NW of Philly. To this day I still enjoy a modest dab of sauce. And always onions.

Pizza Steak. :idea:

dB

So where is the obligatory OT in the subject?

A better question might be where is this "obligatory" rule to which you refer that defines what is or is not marked OT? :idk:

Must be posted right next to the list that says you're the forum police today..... :poke::D

dB

Yup. And I was part of that. Sometimes I was the freak, sometimes the drunk, or both, but the scene was always part of the meal deal.
These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

So where is the obligatory OT in the subject?

A better question might be where is this "obligatory" rule to which you refer that defines what is or is not marked OT? :idk:

Must be posted right next to the list that says you're the forum police today..... :poke::D

dB

Actually not forum police.. I prefer no hard rule for OT in a subject.

I was called out on it by a few "police" types.

I am loose as a goose... a jazz minded blues minded, dude. I do not need OT at all.

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

I am loose as a goose...

How loose is a goose, and how is that measured? Is there a loose goose scale/gauge? Does this so-called looseness vary on a per-goose basis, and/or can it change over time...or is every goose just uniformly loose when born/hatched? :confused:

More importantly, are geese OT????? :hitt:

So many questions... :idk:

dB

I am loose as a goose...

How loose is a goose, and how is that measured? Is there a loose goose scale/gauge? Does this so-called looseness vary on a per-goose basis, and/or can it change over time...or is every goose just uniformly loose when born/hatched? :confused:

More importantly, are geese OT????? :hitt:

So many questions... :idk:

dB

No idear.

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

No idear.

Wait...I thought we were talking about geese. Now it's deer? :facepalm:

Are we still on topic? Do topics change over time?

dB

No deer.

Archived