Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Ricky Peterson (Fleetwood Mac) Touring Rig

wd8dky

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hey thanks for posting that wd8dky, I always enjoy seeing those type of reviews. He mentioned how he no longer uses a big rack, and funny that I was just thinking how liberating it is just to toss a couple of keyboards on a stand and go. Seems I became habituated to using a rack for so many years with the extra set-up time/hassle, but now that Ive been rack free for 6-7 years it would be difficult to go back.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

Interesting set up as the space between the two boards is a lot I think. I like that rig though. I wonder if they are playing to any tracks?

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

When you have countless hits you dont really need a big set up.

Springsteen, The Stones and so many other greats are using simple keyboard setups. Beauty is in simplicity

Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

Well, that organ sounds huge in that venue. Very cool.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76| Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT, Kurzweil PC4 (88)

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

And no mention of the killer musician giving us the tour!!?? He Ricky Peterson, is a top tier B3 player.

I think he comes out of Minnesota... and OT I note how much he resembles another great midwestern keyboardist ( no longer with us ) Ray Kennedy from St Louis area.

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

Saw them Wednesday night. Between Ricky's rig and Christine's CP4 and her Hammond (yeah, they each had their own. I think hers might be a predecessor to the XK-5 but not sure), they got all the sounds they needed out of them. Good show. Not like 40 years ago, but who would expect it to be?

Don

"Yes, on occasion I do talk to myself, sometimes I need an expert's opinion."

Alesis DG8, ARP(Korg)Odyssey Mk.1, Roland JU-06 & Keystation61. Stratocaster if I get tired of sitting.

I would be shocked if Christine was using a clone. She's been using the same chopper for .... well, for years.

Side note: Jon Lord's workhorse touring Hammond was purchased from Fleetwood Mac.

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

Hey thanks for posting that wd8dky, I always enjoy seeing those type of reviews. He mentioned how he no longer uses a big rack, and funny that I was just thinking how liberating it is just to toss a couple of keyboards on a stand and go. Seems I became habituated to using a rack for so many years with the extra set-up time/hassle, but now that Ive been rack free for 6-7 years it would be difficult to go back.

If roland made an Integra8 (keyboard!), I could lose the rack for good.

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

Funny you bring this up.

As huge a proponent of Mainstage that I am, I often think about this topic.

I played a sit in gig a couple weeks ago, and I used my PX5S, and actually brought my Fantom X6 out to a gig for the first time.

I had forgotten how simple life used to be. I showed up to the venue, opened the double braced X-stand, put the boards on the stand.

Then I ran the outputs of the PX5S into the Inputs of the Fantom.

Outputs of Fantom to my Radial Pro D2. Ready to go, with all the sounds I needed.

Don't get me wrong, it might take a while for me to go back to no rack, since I am admitted tech geek. Half my fun is the endless tweaking of the rig, and VST's I use.

Also, some of my thinking of going back to board only, is by using Mainstage and Third party apps, I have really learned how to get the sounds I want. I.e. what parameter affects what.

This has translated into me being able to dig into my hardware board like the Fantom.

David

Gig Rig:Roland Fantom 08 | Roland Jupiter 80

OK. So that was waaay better than I ever could have thought. Neil Finn now lead vocal for Fleetwood Mac. Good for him. I've been a fan of his going back to Split Enz. Ricky did great, and Christine at 75 years young, are you kidding me?
:nopity:

The clone world has gotten so damn good in the past few years none of this surprises me.

In a large stage situation, it's probably better in the long haul to run direct than to mike a Hammond. I was never wild about miked leslies, particularly depending on the speaker source, or how much you can hear the actual leslie that is being miked.

The XK-5 has still not made it to any of the stores near me ( Portland Ore.) and I am curious but not overly so since I have the Key B legend live. I would be curious to check out the XK-5 naturally but I haven't had the occasion to do it.

It's also interesting to note Christine's selection of the CP4. That ought to tell us something because I am sure she can have anything she wants. Ditto for the clonewheel selection as well.

I would be curious what the monitor source is that these are being played through. Speaker selection is an issue for me.

I'm researching what people are happy with for monitor and small venue backline amp for Hammond clones. Just started using an Alto TS115a because someone gave it to me. Not sure if it's our rehearsal space but there are some odd resonance issues. I replaced the blown 15 in it with an Eminence Kappa 15C which was recommended by an authorized Alto repair service company.

I would be shocked if Christine was using a clone. She's been using the same chopper for .... well, for years.

Hammond's website is touting twin XK-5's in use ... one for Christine McVie, one for Ricky Peterson.

http://hammondorganco.com/fleetwood-mac-and-twin-xk-5s-on-the-ellen-show/

This is slightly off topic, but you know what the real joy of that clip is? Mike friggin' Campbell on that outro solo.

Also, it's always funny to me how really high-budget TV shows can have real trouble mixing music well. That one is pretty good, all things considered, but do you think they had enough hi hat on the outro? :laugh:

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

Hammond's website is touting twin XK-5's in use ... one for Christine McVie, one for Ricky Peterson.

http://hammondorganco.com/fleetwood-mac-and-twin-xk-5s-on-the-ellen-show/

I stand corrected. The odd thing is that when I looked at the two, there were obvious differences in the looks. Ricky's was slimmer and darker and Christine's had what looked to be a real wood outer case. The word Hammond was visible on both, but all other lettering was blacked out. The exact opposite of Christine's CP4, which had the word Yamaha covered with black tape.

Don

"Yes, on occasion I do talk to myself, sometimes I need an expert's opinion."

Alesis DG8, ARP(Korg)Odyssey Mk.1, Roland JU-06 & Keystation61. Stratocaster if I get tired of sitting.

Fleetwood mac , Ellen 2018:

[video:youtube]

Both guitarists using Fender Princeton 12 watt 10" amps mic-ed to the PA. Right on.

Of course the Les Paul lead guy (from Tom Petty band) has an additional Deluxe tweed in his line, still low watt tube. He also has a Fender Lelsie Vibratone (70lbs) . CBS owned Leslie at one time too. And a 15" Fender Excelsior amp. It's overkill, imo. I would go with just the Princeton mic-ed to the PA.

Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 850 of Harry's solo piano arrangements of standards and jazz tutorials at https://www.patreon.com/HarryLikas 

Archived