Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Extremely light gear quest

I-missRichardTee

Half century of lifting, has caused me to have to search for very light weight amplification and keyboard.

Even my k10 is becoming iffy. The rest of my body is plenty strong, but one weak link in your spine, and that's the end of lifting.

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What's your main keyboard right now?

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

I a/b'd and thought the zxa1 sounded better than the (original) K8, and from what I know, the K10 sounds a lot like the K8, so yeah, that's an obvious way to cut some weight, as long as you can deal with a bit lower max volume. It's about the lightest thing you can get that still sounds good.

For keyboards, well, what sounds/functionalities are most important?

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

1) I have an 11 1/2 lb. M-Audio Code 61 MIDI controller. It is terrific - keybed feels like butta, but it took me a YEAR to break in the aftertouch so it didn't crash my MIDI modules.

2) How about a 38 lb. Mackie Thump 15 BST. Powerful & easy to carry.

3) Midi Racks are lightweight in a Gator wood or poly case.

Best to you and your lumbar spine !

To me, the best lightweight all-purpose keyboard is the Nord Stage 3 compact or the Nord Electro 5/6 (~20lbs). If you can find a Roland SA-300, I used to have one and it was a good lighweight stereo amp/monitor. It also comes in two pieces to much easier to haul around (both pieces together ~42lbs).

NS3C, Hammond XK5, Yamaha S7X, Sequential Prophet 6, Yamaha YC73, Roland Jupiter X

A mere 32 lbs... it is light. but back can't deal.

looks like midi controller keyboard time?

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

But what is it?

Can't suggest something lighter that might cover the same territory without knowing what the board is.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

But what is it?

Can't suggest something lighter that might cover the same territory without knowing what the board is.

From memory I think IMRT plays a Tyros of one variety or another? Apologies if I've got that wrong.

For amplification I would add a Yamaha DBR10 to the list of lightweight contenders. It's just 23 lbs and loud with 129dB SPL max. It has a decent 2 channel mixer with DSP. It's essentially a lightweight, IMO similar sounding, slightly lower-power, and cheaper version of the much-loved Yamaha DXR10.

I bought a DBR10 for a portable rehearsal keyboard amp but have actually left my QSC K12 and JBL's at home and used it a few times for small / medium-sized gigs and it's done the job.

Gigs: Nord 5D 73, Kurz PC4-7 & SP4-7, Hammond SK1, Yamaha MX88 & P121, Numa Compact 2x, Casio CGP700, QSC K12, Yamaha DBR10, JBL515xt(2). Alto TS310(2)

A Juno DS76 is 15.4 lb. (DS61 is 11.7 lb.) and a Bose S1 Pro is 15.7 lb.

Nord Stage 3 HA88, Nord Stage 3 Compact, Casio CT-S1, Radial Key Largo, Westone AM Pro 30, Rolls PM55P, K&M 18880 + 18881, Bose S1 Pro, JBL 305p MKII, Zoom Q2n-4K

doing the same "lighten the rig" thing..

replaced Korg CX3 (mark 2) with Hammond XK1c - LOVE IT

replaced KBR3d with MS500s - LOVE IT (a little lighter)

tried replaceing PC1x w/ SP6 .. not feeling it :(

PC1x, Hammond XK1c, Deep Mind 6, MS500 (gig rig)

Kurz PC4, Mini Moog Model D, Little Phatty, Hammond M3, Leslie 145, viscount op-3, Behringer model D, Roland GAIA.. (home studio)

For amplification I would add a Yamaha DBR10 to the list of lightweight contenders. It's just 23 lbs and loud with 129dB SPL max.

DBR10s get my vote, too. We're using a pair of them as floor monitors at the church gig. I'm pleased with the sound of keys, guitar, vocal and anything else we throw at 'em.

-- pj

I hope it's OK to say that the prospects that OP will comfortably adapt to a MIDI controller running software instruments seem distant at best. And besides, it's not like keyboards are heavy because they carry all those sounds in them, it's mostly the action that creates the weight. But I was thinking that a Stage 3 HP76 might do the trick at 27 pounds...?

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

I'm using a Stage3 compact and two Yamaha DXR8s. Nord is easy to tote but at just a tad under 30lbs the DXR8s are getting a little too heavy.

So I'm thinking pair of EV Zx1a or the new QSC CP8s. CP8s are 21lbs.

As for light keyboard suggestion, I'd have to go with a MODX 6 or 7.

Paul

Casio PX-5S w/ a Strymon Big Sky and QSC K8.2.

Simply run Stereo out of Big Sky into channel 1 and 2, then adjust the sound from default to a certain setting you like and save.

It doesnt get lighter than that.

I just bought a PX-5S and use that set up above fo rehearsals.

The horns suck, strings are lacking articulations, Organ is weak, but...

Pianos and EPianos sound really good with the Strymon.

The first time I used it was last night.

I have a great place to rehearse, huge basement totally furnished with Bar big screens multiple drum sets and PA gear, 5G WiFi, but a long ass walk down a stone sidewalk, beautiful actually, but my Dolly cant roll over this architectural goat fuck.

I can put my hand under the Casio and do curls.

The Strymon needs a few pages just to explain this MIDI Controlled Reverb.

Ive owned PCM70, 480L, Bricasti M7, all really great sounding units, but the Strymon is a freak of nature and just blows these units away with equally impressive sound quality, but far more algorithms and the MIDI Control is totally complete.

Sorry for the Strymon rant, but I gotta share anything that excites with my brothas from other muthas.

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

Reface YC, CS, and CP together dont weigh 15 lbs, and run in stereo through a Radial Key Largo and into a pair of powered speakers is killer. Use a 61 note controller and youre good to go.

Jake

1967 B-3 w/(2) 122's, Nord C1w/Leslie 2101 top, Nord PedalKeys 27, Nord Electro 4D, IK B3X, QSC K12.2, Yamaha reface YC+CS+CP

"It needs a Hammond"

P125 for that matter would be great.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

Casio PX-5S w/ a Strymon Big Sky and QSC K8.2.

...It doesnt get lighter than that.

Oh, sure it does. ;-)

But until the OP comes back with what he's using now and what sounds/specs/capabilities are most essential, we're basically doing nothing but blindly throwing out a list of light keyboards. Numa Compact 2X? Roland VR09? Yamaha MX49? Casio MZ-X500? Others that have been mentioned? They can all be the right answer, or the wrong one.

This kind of behavior by the OP is why I have given up on trying to help in his threads. You practically have to scream at him to get facts. He'll start something then not come back to look for a week.

On the flip side, it doesn't take much to get us nerds to shout out names of keyboards, and often by the third post or so we are enjoying the exercise of shouting to and with each other, more than the reason we are supposed to be shouting for.

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

Archived