Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Extremely light gear quest

I-missRichardTee

Getting old sucks. In my youth I used to move a leslie 145 by myself to gigs. Not sure how my back survived that.

Currently, I replaced my 88 board which weighed in over 60 lbs with one in the 40's. A good case with wheels helps.

However, you can ditch all the gear if you find a spot with an acoustic obviously. Since doing it steady weekends, it'll spoil you. End of gig, just walk out and home in a short time.

The problem as I discussed in another thread is dealing with an out of tune piano. Since I tune pianos I just tune and voice it once a month on my on dime. It's only a Yamaha console but it's amazing the power of an in tune acoustic has.

Past weekend I played Chopins Nocturne No.1 in B flat minor ('Murmures de la Seine 1') Op. 9 I've been working on past 2 months. Since I just tuned it, it was beautiful. People stop chatting to listen. Of course, that piece would sound like crap

on the piano out of tune.

If you can find a place that keeps them in tune, that's an option.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd say XW-P1 beats MZ-X500 for integrating an iPad or other MIDI device... it has better MIDI functionality (the 9 sliders can send MIDI, and your programs can send definable MIDI Program Changes) and there's a convenient surface to put your device on. Most glaring controller omission is an expression pedal, though you can rig one in with a third party device.

OTOH, as a standalone board, I'd say the MZ-X500 has a better sound set then the XW-P1 (at least apart from the XW's solo synth), better interface, and the speakers and backing track/arranger functions he'd find useful.

For a lightweight board that will primarily serve as a MIDI controller but also has sounds in it, as an XW-P1 alternative, you could also look at the Korg Kross 2 which is even lighter, has some backing track abilities, and 16-zone MIDI control (Casio has 4). It's light on real-time controls, though. Other possibilities with their own pros and cons could be Roland DS and FA, Yamaha MODX, Numa Compact 2X.

... or CT-X5000

CT-X5000 doesn't have the MIDI controller functionality of the XW-P1 (mod button instead of wheel, no 5-pin MIDI jacks, no sliders/knobs, no MIDI zoning or Program Change controls). The CT-X5000 probably has better built-in sounds, though (not counting the organ or synth stuff), and it does have the arranger functions and speakers. Though in that case, I'd still prefer the MZ-X500, which has the drawbar organ, the MIDI jacks, the better screen/interface. And for an arranger, the extra polyphony could make a difference, too. (Though the CT-X5000 is lighter, cheaper, and has the newer sound engine.)

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Archived