Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Extremely light gear quest

I-missRichardTee

Since the only requirement is light weight, this one weighs in at just over 2-1/2 lbs:

http://www.lebigno.co.uk/img/51ipQ2qHTtL.jpg

That's the entire rig all in one: keyboard, amplification, and even a microphone so he doesn't need the mixer from the other thread.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I suspect he may have been crushed under the weight of the proferred options, an ironic complete spinal collapse into a dusty dank IMRT puddle underneath an unused R2RT rocknroll cart ... new vendor tag still flapping in the light breeze.

alas ... if only ...

RIP, brother T.

The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

Casio PX-5S w/ a Strymon Big Sky and QSC K8.2.

...It doesnt get lighter than that.

Oh, sure it does. ;-)

But until the OP comes back with what he's using now and what sounds/specs/capabilities are most essential, we're basically doing nothing but blindly throwing out a list of light keyboards. Numa Compact 2X? Roland VR09? Yamaha MX49? Casio MZ-X500? Others that have been mentioned? They can all be the right answer, or the wrong one.

But Im always right.

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

What's your main keyboard right now?

A mere 32 lbs... it is light. but back can't deal.

But what is it?

Can't suggest something lighter that might cover the same territory without knowing what the board is.

Tyros 4

But to find an alternative to that is not likely.

I guess I would have to go with lap top or ipad to play rhythm tracks, and just play over them.

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

I bet it was the divas fault.

Did you ever do work in a carnival between jobs; possibly as a clown?

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

I suspect he may have been crushed under the weight of the proferred options, an ironic complete spinal collapse into a dusty dank IMRT puddle underneath an unused R2RT rocknroll cart ... new vendor tag still flapping in the light breeze.

alas ... if only ...

RIP, brother T.

Yeah yeah, whatever.

Since the only requirement is light weight, this one weighs in at just over 2-1/2 lbs:

http://www.lebigno.co.uk/img/51ipQ2qHTtL.jpg

That's the entire rig all in one: keyboard, amplification, and even a microphone so he doesn't need the mixer from the other thread.

Love the idear, but I am allergic to cats.

What's your main keyboard right now?

A mere 32 lbs... it is light. but back can't deal.

But what is it?

Can't suggest something lighter that might cover the same territory without knowing what the board is.

From memory I think IMRT plays a Tyros of one variety or another? Apologies if I've got that wrong.

Thank you for the rescue Tyros 4 , and a CX3.

People have been helping me.. but that is an impermanent solution.

For amplification I would add a Yamaha DBR10 to the list of lightweight contenders. It's just 23 lbs and loud with 129dB SPL max. It has a decent 2 channel mixer with DSP. It's essentially a lightweight, IMO similar sounding, slightly lower-power, and cheaper version of the much-loved Yamaha DXR10.

I bought a DBR10 for a portable rehearsal keyboard amp but have actually left my QSC K12 and JBL's at home and used it a few times for small / medium-sized gigs and it's done the job.

Gracias.

A Juno DS76 is 15.4 lb. (DS61 is 11.7 lb.) and a Bose S1 Pro is 15.7 lb.

like the weights..

sounds? anything remotely musical... piano, bass, strings, elec piano

Casio PX-5S w/ a Strymon Big Sky and QSC K8.2.

Simply run Stereo out of Big Sky into channel 1 and 2, then adjust the sound from default to a certain setting you like and save.

It doesnt get lighter than that.

I just bought a PX-5S and use that set up above fo rehearsals.

The horns suck, strings are lacking articulations, Organ is weak, but...

Pianos and EPianos sound really good with the Strymon.

The first time I used it was last night.

I have a great place to rehearse, huge basement totally furnished with Bar big screens multiple drum sets and PA gear, 5G WiFi, but a long ass walk down a stone sidewalk, beautiful actually, but my Dolly cant roll over this architectural goat fuck.

I can put my hand under the Casio and do curls.

The Strymon needs a few pages just to explain this MIDI Controlled Reverb.

Ive owned PCM70, 480L, Bricasti M7, all really great sounding units, but the Strymon is a freak of nature and just blows these units away with equally impressive sound quality, but far more algorithms and the MIDI Control is totally complete.

Sorry for the Strymon rant, but I gotta share anything that excites with my brothas from other muthas.

Am I wrong in thinking you are almost drawing an analogy between a Hammond and Leslie

and a DP with the Big Sky? I never thought reverb was that significant... but being of open mind, please rant some more. I am curious.

Tyros 4

But to find an alternative to that is not likely.

I guess I would have to go with lap top or ipad to play rhythm tracks, and just play over them.

Okay, we have a starting point! We know that you don't need a hammer action, nor more than 61 keys, that helps a lot. And that backing tracks are of value.

Let's start at the top, even though it is not a likely choice. Genos is a better Tyros 4 and it cuts off 3+ lbs (28 2/3 lbs). If the Tyros 4 is just barely too heavy and maybe you have it in a case which you could also replace with a lighter case, maybe it's not an impossible solution. But let's assume that you really want a much more significant weight cut... Lower end Yamahas that still have at least some of the Tyros 4 functionality would be: PSR-S975 (25.6 lbs), PSR-S775 (24.5 lbs), PSR-S670 (17.86 lbs). You lose aftertouch on all of them, but that's a likely trade-off for a lighter board almost no matter how you go. You mentioned you also have a CX3, so organ is presumably important to you. Assuming you're trying to stick with one board, it's worth noting that all of those except the PSR-S670 at least still have the Yamaha "organ flutes." But overall, I'm not familiar enough with either arrangers nor your specific needs to know how far down you can go in the line and still get the things you most want to have.

Moving away from Yamaha, other sub-30 lb arrangers are:

Korg PA300, PA700, PA1000, PA600, which range from 18.4 to 24.35 lbs

Roland BK3, BK5, EA7, which range from 16.5 to 17.4 lbs

Casio MZ-X300, MZ-X500, 16.8 lbs

The only one I have personal experience with is the Casio MZ-X500 which I like a lot, though I haven't tried any of its arranger features. I find it to actually be just a nice performance board, with a good real-time interface for mixing and matching sounds on the fly, above average speakers that are actually usable for non full-band scenarios, light travel weight, decent feeling keys. It also has 9-drawbar organ in it... which sounds pretty lame especially in its rotary/overdrive effects, but you can pan sounds to one side or the other which should make it easy to do something like put a Ventilator on those organ sounds, which should pretty much take care of that, though I haven't tried it myself yet.

If you're willing to settle for less dynamic/interactive backing tracks, then you have a lot of other ways to go. Are there other things that are more important, that you would be fine with trading this away?

like the weights..

Juno DS is another board I like a lot, but I'd still lean toward the MZ-X500 here. Some Roland sounds are better, but OTOH, some Casio sounds are better, I don't think there's a clear winner sonically. Nether is state of the art, both are more than remotely musical. Casio gives you your arranger features, and has an action that is more even as you move toward the rear of the keys. Roland is lighter, cheaper, and offers a 76 key option. If you're willing to lose the arranger functions, though, to get better sounds, I'd also look at the Yamaha MODX. All three boards (Casio, Roland, Yamaha) let you load custom samples (in case there's some other sound you really wish it had), all three have some amount of seamless sound switching (which is something I particularly like if playing with just one board).

All that said, if you're open to bringing along a laptop or iPad, then even if not for backing tracks, you have a great source of additional sounds if you need something higher quality than (or just different from) what's in the board. You can also get some great sounds out of a lightweight Gemini module. Depending on what you may want to do here, you might also want to look at the MIDI capabilities of the board you choose.

As for the Bose, there are threads on it here. From what I remember, people generally like it as a personal monitor or for unplugged gigs, but it is not something that could keep up with a full band. You're probably better off going with the ZXa1 discussed earlier, it's still under 20 lbs.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

What about something like the Roland Juno Stage? 21 lbs 10 oz, 76 key, and can play backing tracks in the form of audio files off USB stick with an on-screen playlist feature.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

What about something like the Roland Juno Stage? 21 lbs 10 oz, 76 key, and can play backing tracks in the form of audio files off USB stick with an on-screen playlist feature.

I think the Juno DS76 is kind of an updated Juno Stage, at only 15.25 lbs, it's probably an improvement in features and sounds, but I think Stage may have had a better action.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I think the Juno DS76 is kind of an updated Juno Stage, at only 15.25 lbs, it's probably an improvement in features and sounds, but I think Stage may have had a better action.

I remember the Juno Stage being promoted on the basis of its premium/high-quality action as well. "Newly-developed 76-note synth-action keyboard with first-class touch and response" on their website.

Cheers, Mike.

I didn't realize that the DS had the playback of tracks from USB, but I see now digging into the specs that it does. Seems like it's promoted a bit differently than the stage, but I could see where a lot of the same functionality is there.

Dan

like the weights..

I use it only as a practice board to learn songs when Im traveling, so I havent tried to dial-in sounds for performance. It reminds me of the sounds in the JV-1080 I used to have. Really easy to split and layer sounds. There are options to cover all the sounds you mentioned.

I wouldnt want the 61 keybed as my primary board, but I hear the 76 is much better. FWIW, I didnt connect with the Korg Kross 2-61, but thats an option thats even lighter than the DS61.

A benefit that Im appreciating way more than I thought was the battery power. I bought 8 AA Eneloop rechargeables and I can play for about 6 hours without plugging in since the S1 Pro has its own battery.

The S1 Pro is loud enough for me to use as a monitor for rehearsals (I use IEMs on stage).

I would buy both again.

Nord Stage 3 HA88, Nord Stage 3 Compact, Casio CT-S1, Radial Key Largo, Westone AM Pro 30, Rolls PM55P, K&M 18880 + 18881, Bose S1 Pro, JBL 305p MKII, Zoom Q2n-4K

I am dealing with a "moving target". w.. too many variables, including health of my back, to come down to a decision.

I do not use aftertouch

I like non weighted

light weight speakers +1

maybe an iPad pro used to playback tracks!

maybe , but not likely a controller keyboard

thanks

I am dealing with a "moving target". w.. too many variables, including health of my back, to come down to a decision.

I do not use aftertouch

I like non weighted

light weight speakers +1

maybe an iPad pro used to playback tracks!

maybe , but not likely a controller keyboard

thanks

Do you already own an iPad of any sort (or even an iPhone, which runs lots of the same apps)? Then you could try some apps to see if they will do what you want. I don't know if there are apps that function like arrangers. But if you actually use the arranger features of the Tyros, I have a hard time imagining any software working as well ergonomically... i.e. compared to how a keyboard puts the screen right where you want it, convenient dedicated buttons for the arrangement functions (including intros, endings, etc.), volume sliders for all the parts, and so forth. If you need that stuff, I think you'd probably be better off with an arranger, and you can start either by looking at the lightest ones (Casio and Roland) or other Yamahas (on the basis that they will be more similar to what you're already used to). OTOH, if you don't actually use the arranger functions per se, but you'd be okay if you could just start and end a fixed accompaniment pattern, or if you could just play an MP3 backing track or a MIDI data file (and remember that means no way to alter the lengths of sections on the fly), then I think other keyboards and/or iPad can be fine. So your first decision is, are you in the category of really benefiting from arranger functions in your keyboard or not. Once you make that decision, then you could look at other differentiators.

Another way to go, if you want high end arranger functionality and maximum portability... look at the Ketron modules, and pair them with the lightweight board/controller of your choice:

https://www.thomannmusic.com/ketron_hardware_sequencers_and_arrangers.html

I literally share your pain. (Four bad discs plus a blown out knee)

I've used Nord Electro 73's as my primary board for many years. They cover most bases very well and are fairly light in the Nord soft case. (I use an SKB wheeled case for road gigs, but at added heft.) Thru an SSV3 or an EV ZLX12P, it's a back friendly rig.

With a K&M stand, folding stool, pedal board and cable bag it's one easy trip on a cart - and more importantly, no one piece is more than ~30lbs.

The MODX7 also looks very promising, at even lighter weight. Definitely looking at one...

Archived