Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Aretha is not doing well, family asks for prayers

ElmerJFudd

Acknowledged 18 times with Grammys. Originally diagnosed with cancer in 2010, Aretha, who turned 76 in March, bravely battled back and refused to be knocked out by illness. Her last performance as on November 2, 2017 for the Elton John AIDS Foundation in New York. Her final public performance was at Philadelphias Mann Center in August 2017...

Aretha is surrounded by family and people close to her. She will be so missed as a mother, sister, friend, cousin. But her legacy is larger than life. Its not just that Rolling Stone called her the number 1 singer of all time, or that she is the Queen of Soul. Long live the Queen.

[video:youtube]

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No need for prayers. If you believe there's a god who is actively paying attention, then also have to believe he's been hearing Aretha for quite awhile now and is on top of the situation, in his mysterious way.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

No need for prayers. If you believe...

Maybe so. But, I believe that is a violation of KC policy. :cop::laugh::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

No need for prayers. If you believe...

Maybe so. But, I believe that is a violation of KC policy. :cop::laugh::cool:

Maybe only slightly more so than the title of the thread itself.

And to be clear, I'm not saying there is a god. I'm only saying that if there is, then surely he's down with Aretha Franklin and probably even has her on vinyl.

Prayers for her health and thanks for all the musical happiness she brought to the world.

Jake

1967 B-3 w/(2) 122's, Nord C1w/Leslie 2101 top, Nord PedalKeys 27, Nord Electro 4D, IK B3X, QSC K12.2, Yamaha reface YC+CS+CP

"It needs a Hammond"

The Real MC and adan

easy there guys.

I often put my foot in my mouth, so I can understand adan doing this. I think I know what he meant. I am sure there was no intention to hurt anyones feelings.

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

No need for prayers. If you believe there's a god who is actively paying attention, then also have to believe he's been hearing Aretha for quite awhile now and is on top of the situation, in his mysterious way.

Real smooth, attacking people's faith when a loved one is about to depart their family. Nice show of condolence. Remind me to return the same when you croak.

I'm not going to get into any discussion over religion, but your method of comforting people who are mourning needs a serious overhaul.

Woah....who attacked anyone??? Adan did no such thing, and frankly his answer covered That possibility as well.

I think you were looking at his comment through some personal lenses.

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

Real smooth, attacking people's faith when a loved one is about to depart their family. Nice show of condolence. Remind me to return the same when you croak.

I'm not going to get into any discussion over religion, but your method of comforting people who are mourning needs a serious overhaul.

I guess this just illustrates why the religion ban is a good thing, because there's no way to talk about it even tangentially without someone getting offended.

The point I was trying to make is that the Aretha-to-heaven connection must already be so tight, I doubt that anyone's prayers are needed to make it tighter.

I know, taking a light-hearted approach to someone's passing can fall flat. I take full responsibility.

Man, the last thing I would do is show any dis-R-E-S-P-E-C-T to Aretha or her family.

Adan

"I am with you" on that score.

But as far as the ban, more than true. But the broad problem in our culture is respect, and the lack of it. This is not a back handed dig at you.

We are not supposed to agree on all matters. We just need to be more respectful in general.

I accept the fact that humans are both the same, and quite different.

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

I guess this just illustrates why the religion ban is a good thing, because there's no way to talk about it even tangentially without someone getting offended.

The point I was trying to make is that the Aretha-to-heaven connection must already be so tight, I doubt that anyone's prayers are needed to make it tighter.

I know, taking a light-hearted approach to someone's passing can fall flat. I take full responsibility.

Man, the last thing I would do is show any dis-R-E-S-P-E-C-T to Aretha or her family.

It could had been worded differently... I deleted my post, I'm good

A while back Aretha was booked for a show at the N.J. State Theater in New Brunswick. My quartet played a cocktail hour and a half for the high rollers across the street at the State Theater Hotel and Aretha did hob nob with them for a few minutes.

As the ushers started clearing the room to get ready for the 8:00 show start, we were asked to stop, so we took our break outside on the sidewalk and waited until it was all clear to return and pack up.

At 7:50 the doors next to us opened and two huge bodyguards held them open. These doors were 80' away from the stage door across the street at the theater. As Aretha walked out a stretch limo arrived curbside and she and the two men got in. The limo drove down to the end of the block, U-turned and came back to park in front of the stage door. Aretha and the two men got out and entered the theater. As the limo pulled away we realized that we just witnessed the definition of "Diva".

If anyone deserves that title it would be Aretha.

Jake

1967 B-3 w/(2) 122's, Nord C1w/Leslie 2101 top, Nord PedalKeys 27, Nord Electro 4D, IK B3X, QSC K12.2, Yamaha reface YC+CS+CP

"It needs a Hammond"

This one too. (and many others...)

I always thought that Aretha gave her best when she sang while playing the piano.

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loD2YCZLdC4

Its funny, but Ive noticed that when I hear something that really touches me, that I involuntary laugh as my response. Oh, Aretha you make me smile!

Tonight we attempted to wing Carol King's Natural Woman, in honor of this great singer pianist Aretha Franklin.

I hope this is not inappropriate to ask, but it was a jam session, and the meter of the song did not feel right.

How do you all perceive or conceive the meter of Aretha's Natural Woman?

Is just saying "6/8, or 12/8 gospel ballad " insufficient information for the rhythm section??

I hope to do it again soon.

Also... it is extremely rare for me to produce tears at the passing ( or near passing of a person ) but in Aretha's special case, I find myself tearing up.

I recall being tearful at the passing of Martin Luther King.

Archived