Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

new Vox Continental - Some thoughts

How's the Vox action compare to the PC47?
I like the PC4-7 action, but it does have the common problem of getting stiffer as you move toward the rear of the key. It's more piano-playable than other actions that have that issue, but the Vox doesn't have the problem at all, and it also has almost no pushback once a key is fully depressed. Plus of course it has the nice waterfall shape for organ, too. The kurz has the aftertouch, though, and I still find it to be an above average action overall.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

The redesign visually positions the VC as a competitor to the YC. I think the new Vox looks more like a musical instrument and less of a retro/novelty now. I really like it. The only caveat is the CX3 engine still showing it"s age, and to truly compete these days, that has to change. Of course there"s space on the right panel just begging for an iPad. It just seems a shame that one would buy organ-centric hardware and still need to do that.

Here for the gear.

Prices start to appear on Thomann here in Europe: 1499 Eur for the 73 keys version, so currently 250 Eur higher than the original version. Delivery time is still very long, though, from 13 to 17 weeks ð± The original version is still listed, but with unknown delivery time. I don"t know if it will still be on sale in the future ð¤ I find now that the Vox looks also nice in black. Maybe it will look good with any color ð

I like the black a lot. The wooden side panels look a bit odd, but they're a very nice touch, especially since they're removable. Seems they've taken inspiration from the Mojo 61. It does seem to be an indication that Korg aren't ready to put a bullet in this keyboard yet. If there was another update (specifically with independent octave shifts per split) that would be killer.

I said in a few pages back that I really liked it when I tried it in store, and that was years ago. AnotherScott's regular comments about the action, and how it's feel means it could serve as a bottom board to someone not fully picky about weighted keys (me) is perhaps the biggest reason I want to try one out again. While most boards on my GAS list are out of range financially, the price of this means I could probably get it without having to sell the MODX, which would be nice.

Hammond SKX

Mainstage 3

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Maltevitamin said:

OK guys I have been a lurker for weeks and I'm thinking of selling my Yamaha P125 and my Roland VR09 and getting a vox. Do you guys feel there is a chance they might finally listen to the fans and drop a conti with inversed keys. Or should I just give up or perhaps even paint them myself?

Not that they won’t.  Just that the black version is so recent.  It’s not likely they need to waste a cosmetic opportunity to spur slow sales at this time.  

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

I think the idea of an inverse-key version is actually even less likely now that they've made the chassis black instead of Vox-orange. Though the idea of a future "special edition" where they bring back the orange chassis and reverse the key colors isn't out of the realm of possibility. But even when they have done special colored editions of things, it's usually a way of generating some excitement after something has been out for a while. Since they just gave The Vox a makeover, I would think that--even on the off chance they are considering such a special edition--it would probably be at least a year away. If ever.

• Like 1

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

2 minutes ago, AnotherScott said:

I think the idea of an inverse-key version is actually even less likely now that they've made the chassis black instead of Vox-orange. Though the idea of a future "special edition" where they bring back the orange chassis and reverse the key colors isn't out of the realm of possibility. But even when they have done special colored editions of things, it's usually a way of generating some excitement after something has been out for a while. Since they just gave The Vox a makeover, I would think that--even on the off chance they are considering such a special edition--it would probably be at least a year away. If ever.

Pretty much.   I wonder how many of those metallic red Korg SV-1s they sold prior to releasing the SV2 models. 

On 1/24/2022 at 9:51 PM, Maltevitamin said:

Do you guys feel there is a chance they might finally listen to the fans and drop a conti with inversed keys.

Hi MV. May i ask have you played reversed keys before? Do you have any troubles on a dark stage?

I actually owned a Vox Jaguar (original Vox Conte's non drawbar brother) back in late 70s as my 2nd tier on top of my yammy CP30 piano.

It looked like a Conte and had reversed keys. Was quite fetching against the orange top. 

At the time i was only 19 so seeing keys on a dark stage must have been alright as i cant remember that as a negative but as much as Id like that look now I fear that in my 60s i may find it difficult on a dark stage for key orientation. What are your thoughts?

Ps for those New Zealanders on here bit of NZ music trivia. My Vox Jaguar was from the NZ band "Toy Love" who did a tour here in OZ and sold it off before returning home. Think they needed the money. I bought it off the lady keyboard player (cant remember her name) wish Id kept it.

• Love 1

2 hours ago, ElmerJFudd said:

Is it possible to import AL-1 patches (or any other patches for shared sound engines) created for the Kronos or Nautilus into the Vox and Grandstage?  

Nope. That was my initial disappointment when they first announced the Grandstage... I had though it might be able to function as a cheaper, lighter "Kronos player" (for programs that used the same engines). But no. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, AnotherScott said:

Nope. That was my initial disappointment when they first announced the Grandstage... I had though it might be able to function as a cheaper, lighter "Kronos player" (for programs that used the same engines). But no. 

Versioning and pricing strategies win again.  

12 hours ago, AUSSIEKEYS said:

Hi MV. May i ask have you played reversed keys before? Do you have any troubles on a dark stage?

I actually owned a Vox Jaguar (original Vox Conte's non drawbar brother) back in late 70s as my 2nd tier on top of my yammy CP30 piano.

It looked like a Conte and had reversed keys. Was quite fetching against the orange top. 

At the time i was only 19 so seeing keys on a dark stage must have been alright as i cant remember that as a negative but as much as Id like that look now I fear that in my 60s i may find it difficult on a dark stage for key orientation. What are your thoughts?

Ps for those New Zealanders on here bit of NZ music trivia. My Vox Jaguar was from the NZ band "Toy Love" who did a tour here in OZ and sold it off before returning home. Think they needed the money. I bought it off the lady keyboard player (cant remember her name) wish Id kept it.

I had no problems with the reverse black/red key SV1.  I do have similar concerns for the black buttons on black panel on the new Vox Continental 73, it looks great otherwise but on a dark stage may be a bit of a nightmare, especially when it's partly hidden under another keyboard as mine usually is.

• Sad 1

Gig keys: Hammond SKpro, Korg Vox Continental, Crumar Mojo 61, Crumar Mojo Pedals

12 hours ago, AUSSIEKEYS said:

have you played reversed keys before? Do you have any troubles on a dark stage?

I don't think reverse keys would be an issue for me. As long as there is still a contrast between the "white" keys and the "black," orienting myself should not be a problem. But i'd be concerned about the reverse AX-Edge where EVERY key is black.

4 minutes ago, niacin said:

I do have similar concerns for the black buttons on black panel on the new Vox Continental 73, it looks great otherwise but on a dark stage may be a bit of a nightmare, especially when it's partly hidden under another keyboard as mine usually is.

Yes, one of my pet peeves, black controls on a black background. If the panel is going to be black, then make the buttons light gray, ivory, or similar.

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/25/2021 at 8:51 AM, AnotherScott said:

The wooden side panels are removable.

Also, it looks like it includes the sustain pedal, or comes in a 61-key version.

A late correction for some missed sloppy editing... I meant, it looks like it NO LONGER includes the sustain pedal, or comes in a 61-key version. Also, it looks like it no longer includes the stand, which I believe had always been included in the U.S.

• Sad 1

Really crazy that they don't include the sustain pedal for a board which includes acoustic and electric pianos... And I neither get why they would decide not to sell a 61 key versios, which is also quite requested by the users.

Strange product policy from Korg in this moment...😬

The stand was separated already some time ago here in EU. When I bought mine in 2019, it was not included. And I was happy that it was like this, as I didn't really need it.

3 hours ago, jejefunkyman said:

Really crazy that they don't include the sustain pedal for a board which includes acoustic and electric pianos... And I neither get why they would decide not to sell a 61 key versios, which is also quite requested by the users.

Strange product policy from Korg in this moment...😬

The stand was separated already some time ago here in EU. When I bought mine in 2019, it was not included. And I was happy that it was like this, as I didn't really need it.

Slightly OT but when I bought my GrandStage 73 three years ago, they had just separated the stand from the instrument pricing, dropping it by about $400. There was some confusion in Canadian retailers what the price was supposed to be, and within a year the price had inexplicably shot back up. When I sold the GS shortly thereafter I was able to get exactly what I paid for it. Similarly for some unknown reason I see the YC61 dropping by a huge amount here and my spidey instincts tell me this is a similar win/win. Somebody hold me back!

• Haha 1

Here for the gear.

3 hours ago, jejefunkyman said:

Really crazy that they don't include the sustain pedal for a board which includes acoustic and electric pianos...

Actually, there are lots of boards with APs and EPs that don't include sustain pedals... probably most of them, especially when it comes to boards without speakers and without hammer actions. I also noticed that Yamaha includes a sustain pedal in the YC73/YC88, but not the YC61; and Nord includes one in the hammer action Stage 3 but not the semi-weighted one. But there are even lots of hammer action boards with strong piano sounds that don't come with sustain pedals, like the hammer action Electros, Roland Fantom, Kronos (actually, I think all the Korg workstations), etc. I think unless something is specifically marketed as a "digital piano" or a "stage piano," it's not likely to have the pedal. The Continental had been a nice exception. It not only used to come with a sustain pedal, but a really nice one. At least it still comes with the nice expression pedal. A nod toward its "organ first" design I guess, even though many of us felt it was not the strength of the board. (Though maybe it is, if you're more into the transistor organs than the Hammonds.)

• Like 1

The discontinuation of the 61 version is further evidence that the natural niche for the Vox is as a semi-weighed piano and epiano keyboard.  The transistor organ sounds are great, but it's been decades since those sounds were in popular use (other than afrobeat), and the Conti did not change that.  The Hammond emulation is meh.  Most people who want the Vox want it for duties where 61 keys is suboptimal.

I'm thinking about getting the black 73.  I need a bottom board.  I'm inclined towards a light hammer action, but the Vox is in the running.  Have always kind of regretted selling the first one I owned.

• Like 3

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

15 minutes ago, Adan said:

The discontinuation of the 61 version is further evidence that the natural niche for the Vox is as a semi-weighed piano and epiano keyboard.  The transistor organ sounds are great, but it's been decades since those sounds were in popular use (other than afrobeat), and the Conti did not change that.  The Hammond emulation is meh.  Most people who want the Vox want it for duties where 61 keys is suboptimal.

I'm thinking about getting the black 73.  I need a bottom board.  I'm inclined towards a light hammer action, but the Vox is in the running.  Have always kind of regretted selling the first one I owned.

It's less an organ and more a swiss-army-knife board.  I would imagine even as semi weight, watterfall is preferred?  And at 73 keys it needs split/layer functionality.  

3 minutes ago, Adan said:

The discontinuation of the 61 version is further evidence that the natural niche for the Vox is as a semi-weighed piano and epiano keyboard. 

Yeah, consistent with how many of us have found that to be its strength. Besides not offering the 61, moving away from the orange color also further de-emphasizes its organ heritage. And whereas, on a lot of boards, 73 keys are often used for splits, the split functions on the Vox are so limited that the focus on the 73 here again seem to emphasize its piano usages. Which getting back to earlier posts, makes it kind of interesting that, if they decided they were going to drop just one of the pedals, they chose to drop the sustain pedal rather than the expression pedal. Still, in a way, we're lucky they didn't drop both. ;-)

Related... It's an interesting quirk that boards that are specifically marketed as digital pianos or stage pianos tend to include a sustain pedal, but boards that are specifically marketed as organs (whether they are only organs, or they are multi-sound boards with an organ focus) so rarely come with expression pedals, which I think is--or at least used to be--as integral to organ playing as a sustain pedal is to piano playing. Maybe the lack of boards coming with that pedal has contributed to organ players not seeing the expression pedal as being as organ-essential as a sustain pedal is piano-essential?

1 hour ago, Adan said:

The discontinuation of the 61 version is further evidence that the natural niche for the Vox is as a semi-weighed piano and epiano keyboard.  

I'm thinking about getting the black 73. 

Same here if I decide to get another DP-ish KB. 😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

34 minutes ago, ElmerJFudd said:

I would imagine even as semi weight, watterfall is preferred?  And at 73 keys it needs split/layer functionality.  

I don't think waterfall vs. lipped makes any real difference for piano, except to the extent that a longer key surface (approaching a real piano's 6 inches) is preferable, and a lip may add a bit of length. But with length itself being the benefit,  I'd say the shape per se doesn't matter, e.g. a 5.5" waterfall would be better than a 5" lipped.

While it was nice that they did add split functionality in an update (it always had layer), it's kind of crippled by the fact that it has no octave shift functionality for the parts. So practically speaking, it's mostly useful for LH bass. Which is important, but precludes things like, for example, doing a left hand string pad, unless you want the strings to be cellos. And even as a LH bass board, since the Vox does not have a dual-mono mode, you can't send the bass out separately to a bass amp, or to its own channel in the house board where the soundperson could control the volume of the bass separately from your othehr sound.