Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

new Vox Continental - Some thoughts

3 hours ago, niacin said:

I’d be happy to play a gig calling for Rhodes or Wurly all night on the Korg Vox Continental.  

For the same gig I’d be happy with the Purgatory Creek sounds (they are pretty stunning) but less thrilled with the key action on whichever Nautilus I loaded them into.

I wouldn’t use either model of the CK for such a gig.  

And actually my first choice would be a Mojo-61.  ymmv

Also worth noting, the Purgatory Creek EPs are also available for the Kurzweil PC4-7, which is lightweight, and I like the action quite a bit, as semi-weighteds go. Probably even better than the action on the Vox when it comes to playing piano (though the Vox action is better for playing organ).

Mojo-61 is interesting as a lightweight alternative to the too-heavy Crumar Seven... same EPs.

3 hours ago, Paul Woodward said:

Indeed, but aesthetics aside, do you really think its enough of an 'upgrade' after seven years? 

7 years is really not a ton of time in Korg years. Really, none of these MI companies move very fast... it's a relatively low volume niche market, and they look to get lots of mileage out of everything they do. But for example, the Kronos really barely changed from its introduction in 2011 until the last version of it was discontinued in favor of the Nautilus in 2021 (which, itself, is arguably not so different... more notable for what it took away than what it added). The SV1 hung around for 11 years (2009 until the SV2 came out in 2020). The Krome/Krome EX lasted from 2012 until at least 2023 (I've seen conflicting reports about whether or not it has actually been permanently discontinued). This year, Korg is introducing a new Micro-Korg... they've made the original for 22 years! (I spoke similarly about Roland at https://forums.musicplayer.com/topic/186875-well-lookie-here-rolands-got-something-new-in-store-for-the-fantom/#comment-2971840 )

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Yeah, but you expect a little bit more of a new flagship piano when a perfectly good board was discontinued for years before announcing a successor..or maybe it’s just me thinking all tech moves on as fast.

Either way, a disappointment for me. 

Korg Grandstage 73, Keystage 61, Mac Mini M1, Logic Pro X (Pigments, Korg Legacy Collection, Wavestate LE, Sylenth), iPad Pro 12.9 M2 (6th gen), iPad 9th gen, Scarlett 2i2, Presonus Eris E3.5

10 minutes ago, Paul Woodward said:

when a perfectly good board was discontinued for years before announcing a successor.

That was unusual. There was no gap between SV1 and SV2, Krome and Krome EX, any Kronos generation and its successor (or Nautilus), etc. If I had to guess, I think Grandstage disappeared ahead of schedule and/or its replacement was delayed because of all the covid-related supply chain issues. 

• Like 1

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I never put the two together actually, makes sense that way. I wonder if anyone has ever opened a GS up to see what’s inside (and documented it)…

Korg Grandstage 73, Keystage 61, Mac Mini M1, Logic Pro X (Pigments, Korg Legacy Collection, Wavestate LE, Sylenth), iPad Pro 12.9 M2 (6th gen), iPad 9th gen, Scarlett 2i2, Presonus Eris E3.5

As I already said in this forum, in order not to be disappointed, don't expect too much from Korg, they are doing things in their own way 🙂

I personally think there will be no major update to the Vox Conti.

But I also thought there would be no update to the SV1, especially after the GS was released. But then came the SV2 totally unexpected, so I was completely mistaken.

I also never thought there would be an updated or a new version of the GS, and then came the GS X, also totally unexpected 🤣

So I stopped wandering about Korg's product strategy and will just have a look at what they're doing when I will need to get a new board 🙂

• Like 1

So, dont expect too much from Korg....

Is that the same Korg who surprised you twice there and who pretty much owned NAMM in terms of number of new products?

Asking for a friend 😉

• Haha 1

I had contacted the national Korg-distributor, asking if service documentation for the Vox Continental could be shared.
This for the purpose of testing a not-new one, always completer & more revealing any potential defects than just trying the machine by playing.

Like Roland often has in their service documentation, and possibly Korg as well:

some kind of test/factory-mode, where you can confirm the correct functioning of all knobs, bells, connectors, whistles and some inside checks.

Too bad they can't share it, so I was wondering if anyone happens to have/knows of this info?

The full doc would be great, but just only some test-procedure info also very usefull already.
(Like: keep button 7 & A pressed, switch on power, now start pressing all remaining blinking buttons etc etc)

Anyone?

Thanks! 

Tested & compared the Korg/VOX Continental (orange, 61) and the Yamaha CK61 yesterday, side by side (well, one up, other below it).

Emphasis on the Rhodes- & Wurli-sounds.

Some misc. ramblings:

1. As far as the VOX goes, no real surprises. All what you people said here was well recognizable: nice keys, great sounds, and the thing indeed feeling like a real instrument. Thanks again for giving me this kickstart.

2. Was surprised by the wooliness of the CK61 for the Rhodes sounds on the lower keys. Bathtub-EQ impression, noticable loss of definition. (Way) too much oomph seemed to be added. Even pulling back the low-EQ didn't clear things up there (didn't try other things like more mids etc).

3. Meanwhile the VOX kept a nicely defined bark at the lower keys. Loved it.

4. I kept being drawn to the VOX, so with the relatively limited time available I didn't gave the CK61 the full attention it will have deserved. It didn't immediately grab me though, which the VOX did. Stating the obvious, it's always a nice sign when a new instrument makes you play stuff that wasn't there before. If an instrument does this it's a good candidate to be considered buying it.

5. Still being a newbie at keys, the slightly smaller octave spacing was well noticable on the CK61 though. Possibly unfair comparison, but the CK61 keys felt a bit 'jumpy', whereas those of the VOX came across as more serious (for lack of a better term).

6. VOX: surprised a bit by the subtle effect of the Nutube valve drive. I realize this isn't meant for shredding, but a clearly 'too much' at the end of the dial would have been nice. Now it's a bit like: "what if the knob could go further?"

7. Likely the VOX-case is quite empty inside. No excuses for having the external supply. I understand though that a direct mains socket would have increased cost, additional certification etc etc. But still, this thing meant for gigs, right?... etc etc you'll all agree here.

Needless to say, I bought the VOX (to arrive in a few days).

I could have bought both the VOX & Yamaha together, for some discount (could have been handy for having one at different locations), but I figure I'll be more than happy & busy exploring just one, so I decided to skip that opportunity.

And ordered the chrome dedicated stand for the VOX. The dedicated carrying-bag might follow (recommended? or better look elsewhere?).
The VOX didn't come with the vol/expr-pedal, will first check if stuff that I already have will suit.

Thanks/bye

• Like 2

Good to hear you got sorted. I’m not currently gigging so I play for pleasure and the Korg GS is getting more use than the YC which, to be fair, was bought as a top board should I gig again. While I enjoy the organs more on the YC, the GS is just more pleasurable to play so I can relate to your experience there.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CNPCNP said:

And ordered the chrome dedicated stand for the VOX. The dedicated carrying-bag might follow (recommended? or better look elsewhere?).

The Sequenz stand is super solid and highly adjustable.  Downsides are 1) doesn't pack down to a slim size, 2) takes a bit longer to set up and break down, and 3) has a larger footprint than most stands.  I'm often gigging in small physical spaces where it would take up too much room.

The Vox carrying bag looks nice but is very poorly constructed.  It will come apart at the seams (literally) long before a Gator bag shows signs of wear.

• Like 1

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

10 minutes ago, Adan said:

The Sequenz stand is super solid and highly adjustable.  Downsides are 1) doesn't pack down to a slim size, 2) takes a bit longer to set up and break down, and 3) has a larger footprint than most stands.  I'm often gigging in small physical spaces where it would take up too much room.

Thanks for the considerations. It seems a no-brainer for at home, but sounds indeed less practical for gigs & rehearsals, that's pity (so far only seen pictures, but it promises to look way cool).

10 minutes ago, Adan said:

The Vox carrying bag looks nice but is very poorly constructed.  It will come apart at the seams (literally) long before a Gator bag shows signs of wear.

Another thank you, glad I didn't immediately order the VOX-bag as well. Had read some mixed reviews as well, ranging from great-get-it to just-don't. I'll definitely check for a generic better bag first. I was actually surprised by the wide availability of both the 61- & 73-type bags, as in: all 61 keyboards have been sold, but nobody cared for the original bag to go with it - may indeed be for a reason.

The colored interior of the VOX softcase looks cool, but not essential for me. And for 'nice logo's' outside, cool as well, but actually not too fond of these at the same time.
As in: hey, cool stuf inside, grab it!  (As if thieves are aware of all brands, apart from Rolex... 😉 )

Congratulations for your purchase and welcome to the VOX Conti's owner club 🙂

I have the VOX softcase and I find it quite nice and well fitting to the keyboard. I don't know why you feel it is too wide...

I just had an issue with the sewing of the backstraps which got damage after a certain time. VOX offered me to replace the bag by a new one for free.

I recognized that one must be very careful with these straps when putting the softcase on one's back. If you pull too much on the straps, then the sewings my get damaged.

I'm much more careful with the new case and so far they are still in a good shape, but I have too think about this every time I'm putting it on my back. So maybe it's worth looking for an alternative option.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jejefunkyman said:

Congratulations for your purchase and welcome to the VOX Conti's owner club 🙂

Thanks! One needs/deserves decent equipment, so any lame audio-results entirely to blame on my (key-beginner) hands 😃

In other words: I'm pretty sure this nice sounding & looking machine is motivating to play often.
I myself am not into mediation & singing bowls (but perfectly fine if other persons are),

but I think to have noticed those Rhodes & Wurli sounds do have a kind of soothing & comforting effect on me  😘

3 minutes ago, jejefunkyman said:

I have the VOX softcase and I find it quite nice and well fitting to the keyboard. I don't know why you feel it is too wide...

I just had an issue with the sewing of the backstraps which got damage after a certain time. VOX offered me to replace the bag by a new one for free.

I recognized that one must be very careful with these straps when putting the softcase on one's back. If you pull too much on the straps, then the sewings my get damaged.

I'm much more careful with the new case and so far they are still in a good shape, but I have too think about this every time I'm putting it on my back. So maybe it's worth looking for an alternative option.

Thanks for the experiences. Good to hear VOX are replacing, but it sounds like they need to keep doing this then ...

It's The Netherlands here, we do silly amounts of traveling on bikes. ☺️

So it doesn't sound like the VOX will be the best candidate for a 61-keyboard backpack... if at all...

OK, I'll check for alternatives. Any brands (Gator?/...) & types that may come to mind?

Thanks / best regards

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CNPCNP said:

Was surprised by the wooliness of the CK61 for the Rhodes sounds on the lower keys. Bathtub-EQ impression, noticable loss of definition. (Way) too much oomph seemed to be added. Even pulling back the low-EQ didn't clear things up there (didn't try other things like more mids etc).

the CK61 keys felt a bit 'jumpy', whereas those of the VOX came across as more serious (for lack of a better term).

I suspect both of those are related to a comment I made earlier... Vox EPs sound and play great out of the box, whereas I had to tweak settings on the CK to get what I considered acceptable EP. I don't remember off-hand whether I did EQ, but I definitely altered velocity response.

• Like 1

Sorry I'm not really on the search for a replacement bag. So I think you would have to do this search on your own. But probably your preferred retailer or distributor can give you some good advice 🙂

Let's see if somebody from the forum comes up with a good proposal 🙂

44 minutes ago, jejefunkyman said:

Sorry I'm not really on the search for a replacement bag. So I think you would have to do this search on your own. But probably your preferred retailer or distributor can give you some good advice 🙂

Hi, Thanks, will be able to find one, I assume the dimensions are not too weird.

(I recall to have read that for finding a suited softcase, one of the formats (61/73) was 'easy', the other 'difficult', but I'm not so sure if that may have been for the CK61 vs CK88 - so not for the VOX 😄 . But since going for a non-VOX softcase here, the hurry w.r.t. availability of original VOX add-ons is no longer a concern. )

58 minutes ago, AnotherScott said:

I suspect both of those are related too a comment I made earlier... Vox EPs sound and play great out of the box, whereas I had to tweak settings on the CK to get what I considered acceptable EP. I don't remember off-hand whether I did EQ, but I definitely altered velocity response.

Very well possible indeed. I did toy around with a bit those settings on the CK61, but not in depth.

My slight amazement (and possibly not fully scientific observation) was actually that the 'mid-range' Rhodes sounds could be pretty alike between the CK61 & the Vox Continental 61.

But when going to the left (say a few octaves lower) on each, the resemblance became noticeably less, as in each going their own way.

(time was a bit limited, and I originally started out as a bass-player, so I forgot to test this higher up as well 🙄 )

1 hour ago, AnotherScott said:

I suspect both of those are related to a comment I made earlier... Vox EPs sound and play great out of the box, whereas I had to tweak settings on the CK to get what I considered acceptable EP. I don't remember off-hand whether I did EQ, but I definitely altered velocity response.

Velocity and filters can make a big difference, something that drew me to the CK over the VOX. With the latter, it’s largely that you get what they serve. There’s quite a lot more you can do with the CK.

• Like 1

Here for the gear.

4 minutes ago, drawback said:

Velocity and filters can make a big difference, something that drew me to the CK over the VOX. With the latter, it’s largely that you get what they serve. There’s quite a lot more you can do with the CK.

Definitely, I wouldn't be surprised if the CK (or whatever comparable machine has come around by then) keeps itching, and will be acquired some day. 😀
Remain impressed by the great user interface and I figure that 3 layers is just the right amount for a lot of possibilities while still remaining good to use and adjust.

For now the wavelength here was the desire for relative simplicity, a few great sounds, an inspiring machine to (learn to) play better - this partly also by quicker running out of tweak-options, so more actual playing (_is _the _aim 😋 ) , which I figure the VC nicely addresses.
For situations where additional possibilities are needed I grab a DAW+controller again, or in time a CK-ish machine.

• Like 1

Trivia-warning... 

... thought to had understood that the only difference between the orange and the black version was (obviously) the color and those wooden sides of the latter.
But by chance my eye fell on the added legending in the silkscreening, where each sound-category on the black version has an own 'pattern' added, see picture. While not unmissable and arguably not really needed nor prettier looking (imho), those coding-patterns do make sense.

The actual question: Also makes one wonder if there were some more 'silent refinements' made, either outside and/or inside?

silkscreen.jpg

I got a Yamaha MODX7 bag, good fit, not a great deal of cushioning, but  it does have back straps, and it’s held up fine.

• Like 1

Gig keys: Hammond SKpro, Korg Vox Continental, Crumar Mojo 61, Crumar Mojo Pedals

45 minutes ago, niacin said:

I got a Yamaha MODX7 bag, good fit, not a great deal of cushioning, but  it does have back straps, and it’s held up fine.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll check that one! 👍

Actually I have a noise issue when using the V861 as a volume pedal. I always used it with the expression jack with no issue but recently I tried to use it by connecting the input and output volume jacks and then the noise appeared. It’s a bit of a pity 😞

9 minutes ago, jejefunkyman said:

Actually I have a noise issue when using the V861 as a volume pedal. I always used it with the expression jack with no issue but recently I tried to use it by connecting the input and output volume jacks and then the noise appeared. It’s a bit of a pity 😞

I'm sorry to hear that. What kind of noise? Hum?

I haven't have tested my fresh VC61 yet with an expr nor volume pedal (it didn't came with one), but apart from that I must admit I don't completely get the addition of the V861 with its (admittedly nice) combined functionality of both stereo-vol & expr.

I mean, when placing it in its 'analog behavior' after the jack-outputs (as you now did), this volume-control then doesn't address the level of the XLR-outputs (assumed to be meant for going to PA).

So the complete package of the VC with both jack- &  XLR-outputs plus the V861 seems a nice story for part of its applications (e.g. when not using the XLRs), but not for all.

In other words, I figure a possible scenario that could make more sense would be to have added e.g. TWO simpler expression-only pedals to the package (one for wah, the other for volume-'via-digital control'-influencing both jack- & XLR-outs), and an additional pedal-control input on the VC.

1 hour ago, jejefunkyman said:

Actually I have a noise issue when using the V861 as a volume pedal.😞

Not specific to any pedal usage, I found the VC to be more prone to noise in general... unless you attach a ground lift plug.

1 hour ago, CNPCNP said:

I don't completely get the addition of the V861 with its (admittedly nice) combined functionality of both stereo-vol & expr.

I think they just chose to include what they felt was their best expression pedal for the board, and it happened to also have that additional volume pedal functionality.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, AnotherScott said:

I think they just chose to include their what they felt was their best expression pedal for the board, and it happened to also have that additional volume pedal functionality.

That makes sense!

Speaking of that VOX V861 (a.k.a. Korg XVP-20 as I thought to have understood),
does anyone know perhaps a bit about the things below, all about the expression-part:

- connectivity via TRS, is the wiper to Ring, and top of potmeter-range to Tip? Or vice versa?
- the minimum volume knob totally doesn't affect the expression function, right ? (then say a Roland EV-5 - with it's minimum setting-pot - would have more possibilities)

- anyone know the pot-value of the expression part?

... then I can use something I have already, or if needed adapt that to make it suited for the VC61. Thanks!

XVP-20_connectors.JPG

Some damper pedal stuff:

Understood the Korg DS-1H damper pedal works for the Vox Continental.

Just curious if that half-pedaling (which the VC seems to be able to do) is worth while to have, or not really?

(I realize I could try it first by sending MIDI CC#64.)

Apart from that, just curious how the DS-1H pedal works. I found the following (thank you Korgforums & synthxl) :

"The DS-1H pedal uses a Tip, Ring, Sleeve type 1/4" jack plug. Looking at the schematic for e.g. the Korg Kronos, it would appear that all the "sensing" takes place between the Tip and the Sleeve contacts. The Ring terminal is not used.
The half pedal feature is implemented by having two switches in the pedal, one of which switches in a resistor between the T and S in the half-damper position, and the other shorts them together, in the full damper position. With the pedal fully up, it should be open circuit between T and S
."

[1] So I guess most likely the resistor inside the DS-1H would be a 2.2kOhm, which then for half-pedaling forms a voltage divider with R60 (of the shown Kronos circuit-snippet) giving a half supply voltage for the half-pedaling detection.
[2] No pedal connected, or not depressed gives the full supply voltage, for full damping.
[3] Fully pressing the pedal shorts Tip to Sleeve, so 0V resulting, for fully undamped.

Anybody happens to have a DS-1H and a multimeter nearby to confirm this resistor-value inside the DS-1H pedal?
(Just for fun & understanding; I'm not necessarily after a DIY-clone version.)

Korg_Kronos_damper-sch.JPG