Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Possible Cure for Tinnitus.

CEB

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have a cure for tinnitus. Reduce all guitar amp power output to 7 watts.......

With modern technology, I don't think that'll work. I play with a guitarist that uses a new 5 watt amp that can still be very loud!!

In a previous life I worked at a hearing aid factory that built and sold hearing aids to mask and relieve the symptoms of tinnitus. Here's another read on the subject.

https://www.ata.org/managing-your-tinnitus/treatment-options/hearing-aids

Stan

Gig Rig: Yamaha S90 XS; Hammond SK-1; Rehearsal: Yamaha MOX8 Korg Triton Le61, Yamaha S90, Hammond XK-1

Retired: Hammond M2/Leslie 145, Wurly 200, Ensoniq VFX

I have a cure for tinnitus. Reduce all guitar amp power output to 7 watts.......

...starting 30 years ago.

Better get cracking on that time machine...

Wait... So they're giving ecstasy to folks with tinnitus? :freak:

The ringing is still there, you just feel good about it. :idea:

Live: Yamaha S70XS (#1); Roland Jupiter-80; Mackie 1202VLZ4; IEMs or Traynor K4

Home: Hammond SK Pro 73; Moog Minimoog Voyager Electric Blue; Yamaha S70XS (#2); Wurlitzer 200A

Heh. I remember playing at a big outdoor festival one time and the the guitar amp was positioned behind the whole stage, facing/playing into the woods, away from the actual stage and audience and the guy was using just IEMs for monitoring. That amp was playing insanely loud, poor trees, but real nice conditions on stage. I realize that some guys, especially country and blues guitarists feel that they need to play stupidly loud to get "the tone", but this guy was a real gentleman.

I bought him a beer:)

(The worst people are actually bluesharmonica players playing through Fender Twins. That should be banned in all civilized countries).

And I remember seeing Return to Forever playing in a small auditorium in 1973. Bill Connors, the guitarist, had his Marshall turned toward the curtain on the back wall. No PA.

Naive me asks afterwards why, and he says, cause it's too damn loud.

My doctor prescribed Xanax. I asked if that would help the ringing in my ears. He said "No, but it will keep you from committing suicide..."

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

I began wearing earplugs to shows...starting about 30 years ago.

That's the best time to start wearing earplugs to shows.

The second best time is now.

This advice works for planting trees too.

My friend goes to the House Ear Clinic in LA, it's considered one of the best clinics in North America. They do a lot on the mental side of things.

Sort of like another friend who has had severe pain management going on for about 15 years. He's gone through cotisone injections, nerve ablation, all the drugs and more stuff I can't remember now. Once all that has been done, you simply can't do any more of it. I stopped asking how he's feeling years ago because the story never changes. He knows it and I know it.

For him the severe pain is still there, it's all about therapy to train the mind to just ignore it and he says it's working. I think part of it is you have to know with no further caveats that everything that can be done has been done and mental training is all that's left. That forces you to accept it and concentrate.

Bob

Hammond SK1, Mojo 61, Kurzweil PC3, Korg Pa3x, Roland FA06, Band in a Box, Real Band, Studio One, too much stuff...

That's strange; several of the people I know with tinnitus think they may have it BECAUSE of using ecstacy... or maybe because being on that stuff made them oblivious to how they were risking their hearing?

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Well, it sort of makes sense, I guess, as things that damage us in large doses often have curative effects in small doses, similar to how we can become allergic to things after we get past the toxicity threshold.

Arsenic comes to mind. It's why my grandmother always ate the apple seeds. She lived to a ripe old age too.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Archived