Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

San Francisco

fjzingo

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Check out the schedules at SFJazz and San Francisco Symphony.

Amoeba Records.

We liked Mission Chinese which is far from traditional, ex Kung Pau Pastrami.

The food vendors at the Ferry Building are worth a trip.

Mama's for breakfast was excellent. Go early or endure a long wait.

Go to City Lights Books (where 'Howl' was read) and Vesuvio's next door over Jack Kerouac Lane .... take in some 'Beat' history in North Beach...

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

[video:youtube]

its still mostly like this. But some of the ' women ' might surprise you

;)

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

Visit the Civil War era Fort Point under the Bridge:

http://adaynotwasted.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/san-francisco-fort-point.jpg

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

World War II big gun defense bunkers on the other side open to the public (free).

http://photos4.meetupstatic.com/photos/event/d/8/0/6/600_358135302.jpeg

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

There once was a music store named Gary Luenberger's (sp?). I visited there in 1980 while on my way to Hawaii. Not sure if it's there anymore, but I was able to try out the CS-80 and the GS-1 which blew my mind at the time (and both were WAY out of my budget). I seem to recall that Gary had something to do with the DX7 programming?

Hardware:
Yamaha
: MODX7 | Korg: Kronos 88, Wavestate | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe | Roland: Jupiter-Xm, Cloud Pro, TD-9K V-Drums | Alesis: StrikePad Pro|
Behringer: Crave, Poly D, XR-18, RX1602 | CPS: SpaceStation SSv2 | 
Controllers: ROLI RISE 49 | Arturia KeyLab Essentials 88, KeyLab 61, MiniLab | M-Audio KeyStation 88 & 49 | Akai EWI USB |
Novation LaunchPad Mini, |
Guitars & Such: Line 6 Variax, Helix LT, POD X3 Live, Martin Acoustic, DG Strat Copy, LP Sunburst Copy, Natural Tele Copy|
Squier Precision 5-String Bass | Mandolin | Banjo | Ukulele

Software:
Recording
: MacBook Pro | Mac Mini | Logic Pro X | Mainstage | Cubase Pro 12 | Ableton Live 11 | Monitors: M-Audio BX8 | Presonus Eris 3.5BT Monitors | Slate Digital VSX Headphones & ML-1 Mic | Behringer XR-18 & RX1602 Mixers | Beyerdynamics DT-770 & DT-240
Arturia: V-Collection 9 | Native Instruments: Komplete 1 Standard | Spectrasonics: Omnisphere 2, Keyscape, Trilian | Korg: Legacy Collection 4 | Roland: Cloud Pro | GForce: Most all of their plugins | u-he: Diva, Hive 2, Repro, Zebra Legacy | AAS: Most of their VSTs |
IK Multimedia: SampleTank 4 Max, Sonik Synth, MODO Drums & Bass | Cherry Audio: Most of their VSTs |

There once was a music store named Gary Luenberger's (sp?). I visited there in 1980 while on my way to Hawaii. Not sure if it's there anymore, but I was able to try out the CS-80 and the GS-1 which blew my mind at the time (and both were WAY out of my budget). I seem to recall that Gary had something to do with the DX7 programming?

St.Regis and Leuenberger used to be perhaps the premiere keyboard store in San Francisco (downtown Market Street), and was both a Steinway and Yamaha dealer. At one point they had Prophet 10s and CS80s side by side. When the CS80 was launched, oftentimes we'd wait for Leuenberger to come down the stairs from his office like a wizard to run through his jaw-dropping demo of the CS80.

I think St. Regis had a couple of sons who started an LA rock band (keyboard driven, IIRC) back in the day too.

Anyway eventually St.Regis & Leuenberger became a Sherman Clay piano dealership, and when Sherman Clay went out of business a few years ago, the store closed. A sad day that was.

Thanks Tim. Now I wish I had known that and waited around for him to come downstairs. Now that you mention it, that was the first time I had laid my hands on a Prophet 10 as well. Way cool! Sorry to hear they're gone.

Hardware:
Yamaha
: MODX7 | Korg: Kronos 88, Wavestate | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe | Roland: Jupiter-Xm, Cloud Pro, TD-9K V-Drums | Alesis: StrikePad Pro|
Behringer: Crave, Poly D, XR-18, RX1602 | CPS: SpaceStation SSv2 | 
Controllers: ROLI RISE 49 | Arturia KeyLab Essentials 88, KeyLab 61, MiniLab | M-Audio KeyStation 88 & 49 | Akai EWI USB |
Novation LaunchPad Mini, |
Guitars & Such: Line 6 Variax, Helix LT, POD X3 Live, Martin Acoustic, DG Strat Copy, LP Sunburst Copy, Natural Tele Copy|
Squier Precision 5-String Bass | Mandolin | Banjo | Ukulele

Software:
Recording
: MacBook Pro | Mac Mini | Logic Pro X | Mainstage | Cubase Pro 12 | Ableton Live 11 | Monitors: M-Audio BX8 | Presonus Eris 3.5BT Monitors | Slate Digital VSX Headphones & ML-1 Mic | Behringer XR-18 & RX1602 Mixers | Beyerdynamics DT-770 & DT-240
Arturia: V-Collection 9 | Native Instruments: Komplete 1 Standard | Spectrasonics: Omnisphere 2, Keyscape, Trilian | Korg: Legacy Collection 4 | Roland: Cloud Pro | GForce: Most all of their plugins | u-he: Diva, Hive 2, Repro, Zebra Legacy | AAS: Most of their VSTs |
IK Multimedia: SampleTank 4 Max, Sonik Synth, MODO Drums & Bass | Cherry Audio: Most of their VSTs |

DRUM CIRCLES:

Berkeley: easy to get to, it's literally at the Ashby BART station next to the flea market, Saturdays and Sundays.

SF on the weekends: Hippie Hill (Sharon Meadows). Typically from 10-20 drummers, I sometimes bring my mic and keyboard out, loud circle

SF during the week: Conservatory of Flowers, Monday-Friday but esp. beautiful days and Fridays. I often bring my Nord Stage, mic, several congas and guitar. This is more of a family friendly circle compared to Hippie Hill, often 2-3 guitarists with small amps, I bring all these instruments to share except the keyboard (unless you're really good). It's absolutely gorgeous out and playing in the great outdoors is a wonderful contrast to being bombarded by sound bouncing off of walls! The guitarists are playing mostly 60's-70's pop/rock, as well as some really good originals. I call/text people when I'm going there (it can often be low attended), so if you're interested send me a text and I'll let you know the next time I go out: 415 722-5912

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920 /// Casio CT-X5000 /// Yamaha EW425

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win10 laptop i7 8GB // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

Nicks Cove Point Tamales.

1A North up the coast, reasonable prices, gigantic servings, most beatific ride.

Seafood is to die for.

Lobster Fettucine, Crab Rangoon, Oysters Rockefeller.....

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

DRUM CIRCLES:

Berkeley: easy to get to, it's literally at the Ashby BART station next to the flea market, Saturdays and Sundays.

SF on the weekends: Hippie Hill (Sharon Meadows). Typically from 10-20 drummers, I sometimes bring my mic and keyboard out, loud circle

SF during the week: Conservatory of Flowers, Monday-Friday but esp. beautiful days and Fridays. I often bring my Nord Stage, mic, several congas and guitar. This is more of a family friendly circle compared to Hippie Hill, often 2-3 guitarists with small amps, I bring all these instruments to share except the keyboard (unless you're really good). It's absolutely gorgeous out and playing in the great outdoors is a wonderful contrast to being bombarded by sound bouncing off of walls! The guitarists are playing mostly 60's-70's pop/rock, as well as some really good originals. I call/text people when I'm going there (it can often be low attended), so if you're interested send me a text and I'll let you know the next time I go out: 415 722-5912

OK. I'm going to show my age and ignorance here. I thought drum circles consisted of ... drums. The few that I have seen consisted exclusively of percussion instruments - congas, bongos, timbales, guiros, overturned buckets, tambourines and the like. Have these evolved into poly-instrumental outdoor jams?

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

If you tell us the dates you'll be in town, it's likely that someone on this board will be gigging somewhere in the Bay Area.
These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

Most of my own gigs are east of the city so I won't mention them, but do be aware that, depending on your dates in town, there might at least be stuff worth checking out in Berkeley and Oakland (my own gigs are usually east of there, except for the private ones which also are in SF).

Luckily, most of the best venues are accessible by public transit these days (there has been a deliberate consolidation of the arts and museum scene around transit corridors).

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Check the calendars for SF Jazz Center, Biscuits and Blues, the Saloon, other venues.

Restaurants? SF is a city of restaurants. I ain't poor but I can't afford to eat at most of the really great ones, even if I could get a table. However, there are many good restaurants, especially a lot of ethnic ones, where you can get a very good meal for not too much. Do you know what part of town you'll be staying in? You can check out SF Yelp. The reviews are fairly reliable, but the foodies here always have their own special places.

Also check SFgate for music http://www.sfgate.com/music/

and top 100 restaurants

http://insidescoopsf.sfgate.com/blog/category/top-100/

These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

True confessions: I grew up in the SF Bay Area when I was a youngin'

Stupid amount of quality music in my life growing up. Talented dudes everywhere you looked. Saw Grace Slick do her thing when I was way too young. My parents didn't know what was really going on.

Doobie Brothers, Santana, Robin Trower and Journey playing high school dance gigs. Yes, really. $4 cover. At a Catholic HS no less.

Pablo Cruise played my senior prom. Mind blowing to me as a young dude, but my mind was elsewhere :)

A steady diet of Dead and Neil Young in college. I can't remember how many Dead shows I saw. Although Green Day was a force to be reckoned with. As were the Talking Heads,

The Dregs coming through Santa Cruz. And The Cure. And Boz Scaggs playing everywhere. Oh yeah, Robert Palmer came around, back when he was trying to be Lowell George. Too bad Little Feat came through though local clubs. We're not going to talk about The Wall concert and my road trip to LA. Life altering.

And, yes, went to see the Red Hot Chili Peppers a bazillion times in Palo Alto back in the dayz. Tears For Fears came through aa well, thoroughly impressive.

Not deprived in the least. Most folks I grew up with turned into talented musos to this day. It's all about environment :)

There's still a rockin' scene there, just gotta find it. New Orleans is so much more accessible, though.

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

Sadly. SF has become a trendy area for the very wealthy and the younger silicon valley entrepreneurs. The old scenes are gone. It has not been a music town for many decades, that was the groovy 60's and 70's mostly. Of course they maintain some little relics going for the tourist trade. The scenic views and some of the old buildings remain but everything else has changed.

Best little jazz club in SF ever! But of course, closed for financial reasons many years ago.

a6bdaeefea3ea40ec14e944ab2364e8e.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-CElQSs76iYM/TtKOD2rG5II/AAAAAAAAB14/04kZPBMz6Xw/s1600/Keystone-Korner-copy.jpg

http://www.inside-guide-to-san-francisco-tourism.com/image-files/golden-gate-park-east-map-2.jpg

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110226214303/charmed/images/c/cc/Golden-gate-park.jpg

http://www.planetware.com/photos-large/USCA/california-san-francisco-golden-gate-park.jpg

e9d5eedec1039b2a37375a4b5e206352.jpg

379247-aqpa.jpg

Confession, I was born in SF in '57 and grew up 5 blocks from Haight Asbury. I knew Vince Guaraldi and The Greatful Dumb.

Archived