Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Dead heads - any advice?

WesG

Hey, folks!

I remembered that DanL had a Dead act, was thinking others might have relevant experience to share also.

I took a gig in June with a Dead tribute. The band was active and busy in the 90s; this is a reunion and they're short a keys player so they got me.

Any advice from you guys who are familiar with the material? I haven't listened to any in a LONG time (except the other day, right before accepting the gig), and never very seriously.

The gig is boat-access-only, so I'll be traveling light. VR-09, Leslie 760, maybe a CP4. I plan to play organ almost all night, was thinking the CP4 might be useful (ironically) for its long, undulating, Wavestation-esque pads in "Space". (How is "Space" normally played?)

Any tips for what's necessary gear-wise, playing style, if I should bother buying the Anthology book, etc?

Thanks,

Wes

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wes you might be a little bored with the material. That said it's only a reunion so see how it goes. I think your gear list is fine for it. It's a lot of organ I know that, I think when Hornsby was there he brought more piano to the dead's sound. I think DanL will know more if he sees this thread. I only know a handful of their songs.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

Unlike "dead heads" I will suggest the studio recordings are a better place to start than some of the live recordings (too mucky and meandering)

I always liked the Keith Godchaux stuff - He was more stylistically fluid than the other keyboardists.

Listen to side one of Blues for Allah (Help on the Way, Slipknot, Franklin's Tower)

https://youtu.be/sE_hm9qKRyc

Wake of the Flood (sans weather report suite) Misssissippi Half Step a fav

https://youtu.be/o-qZxV0dWsE

You can't go wrong with Piano, Hammond, and a mono synth for the trippier stuff.

If you need to get to the older core material:

https://youtu.be/lZiBjTno9Uc

it's live and you can hear Pigpen's Hammond as nothing more than a bed.

In a Dead band now. 100+ songs in the set list, any may be chosen for a given night. It's actually fun.

Travel light, and stay loose. As above, AP, EP and Hammond will cover you for 98% of the material. The remaining 2% doesn't matter. I don't bring a synth, but occasionally use synth samples.

Unlike the advice above, I use the studio recordings to get the structure of the song, and then listen to a few live recordings to get the feel "as played".

Most cover bands don't do the real space stuff as it turns off a lot of the audience. Longer, improvised melodic jams -- certainly. There are very few signature keyboard parts, so feel free to play what sounds good to you vs. the recordings.

It's all about the setlist. Some of the material is harder than it looks (e.g. Estimated Prophet in 7/4 kicks my butt). Typical formula is AP/EP for the verses, B3 for the choruses.

I'd skip the Anthology book. Google "jdarks" for the ultimate chord references. Unlike most internet tabs, these are 99.5% accurate. That, and a little headphone therapy, and you should be good to go.

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

Hey, folks!

I remembered that DanL had a Dead act, was thinking others might have relevant experience to share also.

I took a gig in June with a Dead tribute. The band was active and busy in the 90s; this is a reunion and they're short a keys player so they got me.

Any advice from you guys who are familiar with the material? I haven't listened to any in a LONG time (except the other day, right before accepting the gig), and never very seriously.

The gig is boat-access-only, so I'll be traveling light. VR-09, Leslie 760, maybe a CP4. I plan to play organ almost all night, was thinking the CP4 might be useful (ironically) for its long, undulating, Wavestation-esque pads in "Space". (How is "Space" normally played?)

Any tips for what's necessary gear-wise, playing style, if I should bother buying the Anthology book, etc?

Thanks,

Wes

The key (at least for me) is keeping your ears open and following the rest of the band. "Space" is really just a term for a meandering improvisation. No real tempo, usually a more modal type of thing where you riff off of each other. Usually it'll lead into a tune so the tempo or groove might start to take shape and meld into the song.

Gear wise- I can get by with just my Electro- organ, piano, Rhodes, maybe some clav. I use a string or analog pad under a piano or Rhodes at times. The VR should cover it easily. There is some synth work on some tunes, like Feel Like a Stranger, but it's not 100% required.

Some of the tunes have some tricky changes, or might have some weird timing in places. I wouldn't bother with buying a book, just get a song list and listen to them. Also, I agree with the post about listening to the studio versions, those are easier to pick out the changes. If you need any help with chord changes or anything send me a PM. I don't know them all but I know a lot of them.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

"The key (at least for me) is keeping your ears open and following the rest of the band. "Space" is really just a term for a meandering improvisation. No real tempo, usually a more modal type of thing where you riff off of each other. Usually it'll lead into a tune so the tempo or groove might start to take shape and meld into the song."

Yeah, this too. Be on the lookout for items on the setlist like "Scarlet > Fire" or similar. You'll play the first song in its entirety, noodle for a while, and then transition into the next one.

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

I guess one bright spot is that as the keyboard player you don't necessarily have to hit as many clams per song as J.G. did on guitar to fit in and sound authentic.

I know, I know... sacrilege.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

Most of the GD keyboard players added support, as opposed to being primary soloists. I used mostly AP and organ, then added EP and clav. Only synth I ever used was on "Feel Like A Stranger", but our Dead cover band usually did the pre-Brent material.

As far as "Space" is concerned - does this band actually do that part of the show? In the last years of the Dead, "Drums" would lead to a lot of Dan Healy / Bob Bralove sound manipulation, then Jerry, Bobby & Phil would come out and play whatever on their MIDIfied gear. Eventually Vince would join them on synth, and then Billy & Mickey would rejoin the reat of the crew and morph the jam into the next song.

In other words, "Space" is whatever you feel like playing.

Oh - since you'll be playing on a boat (right?), it is required that you play "Ship Of Fools".

I play a lot of Dead gigs with a Nord Electro 4 73 sw as my only board. Same with Hammond sk1 73. As long as you're happy with the AP/EP, and B3, you'll be fine. I do about 50/50 B3 and EP.

As far as material, ask for a setlist if applicable. In general as long as you You know the key and basic structure, you should be OK. Theres no way you can get the entire catalog down cold. Dont trust any one arrangement for any one song. The band itself and tribute bands tend to have fluid arrangements. Just keep your head on a swivel and be ready for anything. If youre able to read guitar chord fingerings, get in a position to do that. Keep your eyes and ears peeled.

As far as Space, dont even bother. Grab a beer, girl, food, urination, etc. Total waste of time.

Most important thing: Have fun

Hammond B-2, Leslie 122, Hammond Sk1 73, Korg BX3 2001, Leslie 900, Motion Sound Pro 3, Polytone Taurus Elite, Roland RD300 old one, Roland VK7, Fender Rhodes Mark V with Roland JC90

My advice is you will want to play a lot more piano (AP and EP) than organ.

It sounds like fun. I enjoyed playing in the Dead cover band I was in, and would enjoy it if the opportunity presented itself again.

J.S. Bach Well Tempered Klavier

The collected works of Scott Joplin

Ray Charles Genius plus Soul

Charlie Parker Omnibook

Stevie Wonder Songs in the Key of Life

Weather Report Mr. Gone

As far as Space, dont even bother. Grab a beer, girl, food, urination, etc. Total waste of time.

Not when you take charge of Space! It doesn't have to be the whole Dead 2nd set noise and drum crap. It's the perfect time to break out the alternate sounds and have fun.

Couldn't agree more on your have fun point. It can be a fun gig.

I should note that I'm not a Deadhead at all. I've seen 1 show back in the 80's and don't listen to them, but I enjoy playing their music. Our band does things in more of a Little Feat/Allmans type style, not always the sleepy Dead versions of the songs. Definitely more rocked out and funked up. We're not a tribute band, we cover a lot of stuff in that genre- Dead, Allmans, Feat, Neil Young, Dylan, some Neville Brothers, a smattering of original tunes as well. Our fanbase is largely Deadheads but the other stuff works well for us since we're doing our own take on the tunes.

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

Not when you take charge of Space! It doesn't have to be the whole Dead 2nd set noise and drum crap. It's the perfect time to break out the alternate sounds and have fun.

Couldn't agree more on your have fun point. It can be a fun gig.

I should note that I'm not a Deadhead at all. I've seen 1 show back in the 80's and don't listen to them, but I enjoy playing their music. Our band does things in more of a Little Feat/Allmans type style, not always the sleepy Dead versions of the songs. Definitely more rocked out and funked up. We're not a tribute band, we cover a lot of stuff in that genre- Dead, Allmans, Feat, Neil Young, Dylan, some Neville Brothers, a smattering of original tunes as well. Our fanbase is largely Deadheads but the other stuff works well for us since we're doing our own take on the tunes.

Good point. I did a bunch of Allman's, Dead, and Neville Brothers also in the 90's...that fan base seems to transcend all those artists.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

Don't forget to cross-pollinate with Dylan and The Band.

Good point, and Beatles as well

I've been playing in a Grateful Dead tribute band for about a year now and having a blast. Band name is "Suggesting Rhythm" :) which actually comes from verse 1 of Terrapin Station, " Let my inspiration flow in token lines suggesting rhythm that will not forsake me till my tale is told and done"

Sound palette and song variety really depend on how deep you dive, although I totally agree with others here that piano, Rhodes, B3 organ cover 90%.

I use a Kurz PC3 for smaller gigs and couple it with either a Korg SV1 or Rhodes Stage 73 for larger easy access stages.

We pull from the main band catalog as well as side projects such as Jerry Garcia band which introduces more variety including songs like Harder They Come (Jimmy Cliff) , Boogie on Reggae Women (Stevie Wonder) and some really nice organ parts by Melvin Seals on various others.

There is even some interesting synth such as this version of After Midnight which has a cool resonant synth lead beginning at 3:36 as well as tasty wurly.

[video:youtube]

Songs can get jazzy as well. Eternity is a good example.

A lot of Dead Heads are Era specific. And sometimes we compile set lists (full or partial) to capture an era. If going for the 70's vibe (Keith Godchaux)I stick to more straight up piano

If trying to capture the 80's vibe (Brent Mydland) I choose more B3 and Dyno Rhodes or DX7 tine type sounds. Brent actually used a Kurzweil controller and a bunch of modules as well. Songs from the Without A Net and Dead Set CDs are really good examples.

Brent Dyno Tine Example:

Brent Hammond Example (solo at 1:02)

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=he0UlXj_4Vg

Have Fun and just flow with it.

I enjoy space since it's the "Final Frontier" :laugh::saber: and provides an opportunity to explore the VAST PC3 capabilities.

I never know what direction it may take so I've created several different setups with adjustable live parameters and layers to tweak on the fly.

Yes that as well. You are right a lot of the fan base likes The Band and Dylan

noblevibes.com

Thanks for all the helpful advice so far, guys!

I'm I won't get bored with this gig, since I'll be in "ears wide open" mode the entire time. I will definitely make sure I am in a position to watch the rhythm guitarist's left hand - it's great to be able to "read" guitar in a situation like this.

Gig isn't on a boat, it's on an island, which means a pontoon-boat ride and 150' walk to the venue. Too bad, I really really love playing organ. I just can't see myself loading one onto a pontoon boat. I'll pack the Leslie on a dolly with big wheels to handle the terrain, and the rest of the rig will be a piece of cake.

I'm glad to hear most of the online charts are reasonably accurate. That takes a big load off me. I'm looking forward to starting rehearsals next month; Estimated Prophet and Space are both on the list.

Wes

Yes that as well. You are right a lot of the fan base likes The Band and Dylan

Jerry covered a lot of their tunes in his solo shows.

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

There have been lots of covers of Dead tunes by other musicians over the years. Since you have a while to prep, it may be fun to check out some alternative approaches. If you are a jazz-oriented player, be sure to check out Dead cover albums from the 90's by the David Murray Octet and by Jazz is Dead. As most of you guys who posted above are aware, some of the Dead tunes are musically pretty challenging.

Joe P - will do! Whoever that guy on Hammond was in the late 70s has some real nice chord voicings also!

tnelson - sounds interesting! Fun having a new project like this, very much out of my usual repertoire, lots of listening to do. :)

• 3 weeks later...
I think organ on 90% will get you there. Especially if the 2 guitarists are really "into" it. Organ, some ap/ep, and a good Oberheim brass patch will cover your gig entirely.
Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

I think organ on 90% will get you there. Especially if the 2 guitarists are really "into" it. Organ, some ap/ep, and a good Oberheim brass patch will cover your gig entirely.

Tony, just curious, where do you see the brass patch being used?

Joe

My adult take on Dead bands is that they generally are more fun to jam with than listen to, but truth be told, I learned how to play a few hundred years ago doing that stuff, and I think some of Garcia's phrasing, along with bebop players I more consciously emulated in my formative years, remains perceptible in my rock soloing.

There are, in my mind 2 kinds of Dead bands - Ones that want to copy the performances, have the instruments playing the same roles, etc. as the original band, There are also those that play the songs as launching points, but attempt to bring a little something of their own to the party, are not married to arrangements or versions, and basically try to capture the spirit and not copy the band. If the band you are playing with is of the latter variety, bring your ears, remain tasteful, and do what you do. If the former - try to find out what incarnation of the band they are partial to, since they changed a lot over the years. Tony has it right, above - Organ, piano, Rhodes and you are there. I think the Brass patches were used by Brent on stuff like Feel Like a Stranger and Estimated Prophet...Probably others that escape me right now.

Moog The One, VV 64 EP, Wurlies 200A 140 7300, Forte 7, Mojo 61, OB-6, Prophet 6, Polaris, Hammond A100, Farfisa VIP, ,Young Chang 6', Voyager, E7 Clav, Midiboard, Linnstrument, Seaboard

My adult take on Dead bands is that they generally are more fun to jam with than listen to

I don't know... one of my friends went to more Dead concerts than he can count. There was one summer where he was traveling with the band!

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

I use the brass patch on Just a Little Light too (another Brent tune).

otherwise Piano or Rhodes patches and the guitarists like the organ modeler. I only bring a Roland Juipter 50 to the gig.

We are playing the Skull & Roses Festival this weekend at the Ventura Fairgrounds in CA. Should be Fun!

Jupiter 50; Triton Extreme; Ultranova

Archived