Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Dead heads - any advice?

WesG

I love this thread!

On Bertha I play organ primarily, and I throw in piano fills in between the verse lines, mostly over the C chord.

Over the past year or so I have been working through my buddy' stack of Dick's Picks, and found that the Brent years are my favorite years. He could get a great overdriven tone out of his Hammond, check out this clip of Little Red Rooster from 1980:

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2c-MsnXWM8

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks, DanL. So you're saying that the (mini) vent sums the two signals when only one output is in use? Or does it have a separate algorithm for mono output?

I'm glad you brought that up, it never crossed my mind that it might count the outputs. As it is - I have been plugging into the CP4 in stereo regardless of whether I am taking one output or two from the CP4. But then again - I've never played a gig with a sim. I prefer wood.

I'd better go read the manual. :)

Wes

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

I'm pretty sure it sums them to the left output when you use it in mono.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

While I definitely prefer the Brent-era years, the bands I'm playing in yearn for that pre-Brent sound (Keith, Pigpen).

Every time I bring out the Brent-style stuff, I get a bit of the stink-eye. The one exception is the B3 sounds. They'll make an exception for that :)

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

That's funny - I have lots of freedom about what I get to play. China > Rider, I am definitely trying to channel Keith. I think on the next show, I will do something like Pig's organ thing during the intro to China Cat.

On the other hand, I've been explicitly asked to play organ instead of piano on Cold Rain. Listening to 7-23-1990 right now for ideas....and Ooh! 7-4-89 is interesting.

Going to learn "West LA Fadeway" next for Friday's encore.

Organ on Cold Rain and Snow? You'll have to go way, way back for that one

Not my favorite version, but I can attest that it can work in front of an audience, albeit a hair slower.

West LA Fadeway is fun because there's room for a nice synth pad on the chorus, and also room for a wild synth solo in the middle. At least, that's how we play it :)

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

The beauty of the guys I'm with is they never tell me what keyboard to play. I don't really channel anyone either, because I'm not a big enough deadhead (really, not a deadhead at all) to know who was playing what. Some of the songs I've never heard the original version of, only the version we play.

I do piano in Cold Rain, and I get a nice long solo in the middle that is a blast to play.

China/Rider- I play Wurlie in China and then switch over to organ for Rider.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

I'm all for guys telling me to play organ. :) I LOVE playing organ. I mean, I love playing piano, but I LOVE playing organ. You know what I mean? Plus, the more the guys love the organ, the more likely they are to give me a hand getting it on/off the stage when the time comes. :)

Chuck - thanks for the tip that Pig played organ on that back in the day. The shows I mentioned above have Brent playing organ on it. His parts in general are better than Pig's, but at that point in his tenure, he was screaming for attention and taking up more space than I like to. I'm listening to Winterland 12-23-70 right now, the organ is very subtle, but Pig's vocal gives me ideas, too. The studio recording you posted is crazy!

If your gang can sing a bit of a capella, "We Bid You Good Night" is a great way to end a show. We do a shortened version, with me playing a soft gospel organ pad behind it to help the vocalists.

Goes over great every time.

Nice! We do need to strengthen our vocals a bit before biting at the a capella stuff, but I'll file that away for when we do. We might also be adding a "Donna". Wierdest thing, playing Dead tunes, the players come to YOU, not the other way around. Never had that happen before.

Stella from our Sunday show appeared on the Yoob-Tube this morning. Wish I'd put more organ in the PA. My vocals, too. Oh well. I really like playing this one, although it took a few listens to grow on me. I especially like the Em C7 bit. It reminds me of something off the 2nd side of Abbey Road. I think the one that ends all of a sudden.

[video:youtube]

(we fixed the B7 bar-counting error at rehearsal last night)

Very funny thread. Dead fans are the people most unlikely to demand keyboard authenticity. That's one of the best reasons to play in a Dead cover band -- the freedom to do what you feel.

I'm one of those folks who was never into the Dead until I started playing it. Listening is kinda boring, but playing is a hoot.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

Thanks, Kwyn. I'm really pleased with the sound of that organ. I still want to tweak a few of the high tones (poor factory calibration) and recap the vibrato delay line, but in my opinion :) it's an amazing-sounded organ.

Bass might be the hardest seat to fill, but if you can find the right player, you can have an amazing time. At least the "Phil" material is challenging.

You might also have an easier time finding "double drums" than a drummer. It would be something new an novel for the players.

Wes

As many have noted, as the keyboard player in a Deadhead band you have the ultimate freedom. Amongst Pig, Tom, Keith, Brent, Melvin, and Merle, youve got a bunch of different instrumentations and approaches. There is no wrong answer.

Since I lean heavily towards Brent, Im able to bring a Nord Electro 4 73sw out exclusively. I route the B3 to the left output to the Vent and everything else to the right output, using the Bright Tines thru the JC sim for EP, and basically nothing else. Its really working for me, as I love 1979-81 era the best.

On a song like Sugaree, I dont even decide until I enter after a few bars.

Someone mentioned Cold Rain and Snow---my favorite versions are Brent playing the B3.

The Nord B thru the Vent with the OD all the way up---tremendous. In fact I cant say enough about how the Vent lights up my gig. I resisted it for years, just got the original.LOVE!

Hammond B-2, Leslie 122, Hammond Sk1 73, Korg BX3 2001, Leslie 900, Motion Sound Pro 3, Polytone Taurus Elite, Roland RD300 old one, Roland VK7, Fender Rhodes Mark V with Roland JC90

Stay away from the brown acid and play a lot of rootsy piano and organ...learn your Dead long Space Jam modal relationships and your pretty much there! Oh, and you must know who Mountain Girl is!

Oh and watch this! Jerry Garcia Interview . . . 1994

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

Overdrive on the Nord or the Vent all the way up?

The Vent. If you disable the leslie sim on the nord, you disable all amp sims and all nord OD...AFAIK thats the only way to get OD.

But no matter, the Vent's OD blows it away---it's not Jon Lord crunchy OD, it's more warm and woody, which is the I way I feel when I'm hearing it.

It sounds like my 122.

Hammond B-2, Leslie 122, Hammond Sk1 73, Korg BX3 2001, Leslie 900, Motion Sound Pro 3, Polytone Taurus Elite, Roland RD300 old one, Roland VK7, Fender Rhodes Mark V with Roland JC90

• 10 months later...

Life update: still playing dead. Having a blast!!

This is actually the most successful band I've ever played in. This is the first time in my life I can tell somebody what group I'm playing with this weekend, and have a hope that they recognize the name, LOL!

Tiny newspaper article this week. Four gigs this month. A radio spot on community radio last week. Life is good.

http://www.kingstonist.com/china-cat-riders-keep-the-dead-alive/

Wes

Thanks! This thread is funny to me, I had a great deal of trepidation re. TGD material when I posted it.........and now I'm at a point in my life where I can't imagine NOT playing it!

In fact...I spent two consecutive hours listening to "Jack Straw" from Europe '72 yesterday, trying to learn Phil(?)'s harmony part. A thoroughly pleasureful experience.

We're playing on an island right on the Canada/US border Friday night, and at a very happenin' bar on June 30. We had another patio gig last Sunday and the crowd response was outstanding. I can't believe how many deadheads there are in this little community I live in.

I'm really looking forward to Friday night, I expect Chris Brown (moderately big name up here in Canuckistan) will show up and sit in on organ for a bit, while I man the piano. Sitting beside a player of his caliber is a fantastic experience from my POV. He's sat in before, he plays the organ like its an extension of his body...and his playing....gives me license to go places I normally wouldn't.

Followers of this thread may enjoy this clip of Jeff Chimenti soloing over Crazy Fingers on a Vintage Vibe Piano. This is with a lesser known band in a small club, but I see he has brought the VV on the Dead tour this summer.

[video:youtube]

Archived