Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New R&R Hall Of Fame Inductees

Looks like a great crop this year. The televised show is sometime this weekend (I think) and I definitely want to see it. Saw a couple of clips on TV and it looks like Prince was tearing it up.

Anyway, this year's inductees:

George Harrison

Prince

ZZ Top

Traffic

The Dells

Bob Seger

Jackson Browne

Like I said, a pretty good crop. At least IMO.

http://entertainment.msn.com/music/article.aspx?news=152661

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting tidbit I heard this morning. Traffic accepted their induction and then went on to play Dear Mr. Fantasy. Dave Mason, however did not join Jim Capaldi and Steve Winwood. Turns out that Dave originally played bass on the song, and Winwood guitar. Well Dave hasn't played bass in years and didn't want to make an ass of himself. His idea was to play guitar and trade licks with Winwood. Winwood, from what I heard, said "Fuget about it Dave!, I play guitar on that song!" or something like that.

Another Classic Rock group disgruntled by ego?

I do tend to agree with Stranger...that it's a "Rock and Roll" hall of fame, not a pop music hall of fame (although that's certainly fine)...although I've never been a huge Sabbath fan, they do belong in there. I believe I read somewhere that they did their first album for like the equivalent of 5000 bucks and sold scads of copies. If it's just a case of them waiting their turn, that's fine, but if they (and other true "Rock" acts are getting ignored to put the latest Grammy-winning pop stuff in there, then they need to change it. Now, I agree with this year's choices generally, but, I've seen people inducted that make the definition "Rock" a real stretch.
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

I think they need to reconsider how many folks they induct in any one year.

7-8 per year?

They are gonna run out of truly deserving inducteees before too many years pass.

We certainly dont create anywhere near 7/year new acts that will end up on the list.

When this happens Id predict they'll cleave it into a dozen different sub-genres and give induction to a few acts in each.- Kinda like the BB charts- all fractionated.

Whatever.

Never been there. I am sorry I missed seeing the J. Lennon exhibit that was replaced last year. I heard that it was really worthwhile.

Check out some tunes here:

http://www.garageband.com/artist/KenFava

Sabbath!! Sabbath!!

Even if they say they don't want in, screw em, they need to be in.

Btw,

..... What about Ed Sullivan? I know he doesn't play anything, and didn't write any songs, but The Ed Sullivan Show was an American Institution. I think we'd have a very different landscape if he wasn't there to pump Rawk N Rowl into everyone's livingroom like that.

Hell, how many times have *you* read an interview with *your* most esteemed rock idols who said "For me, it all started in 1964, watching the Beatles on the Ed Sullivan Show...."

How many of you were impacted by the Ed Sullivan Show?

Dr. Seuss: The Original White Rapper

WWND?

Originally posted by Dan South:

When did Prince ever play rock 'n' roll?

More to the point...

How does Prince rate entrance alongside George Harrison, as well as some of the other inductees? George was a living legend 10 years before anyone had heard of Prince. He had a good solo career that was rejuvinated by his association with The Traveling Wilburys in his third decade of musical stardom. He gets in, posthumously, 40 years after arriving on the world's music scene, yet Prince gets in in half the time?

For that matter, Traffic and several of the others nominees certainly deserved entry long before Prince.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Sabbath? Yes, deserving of being in there, even though I'm really not what I'd call a fan.

Prince? The Dells? Neither are really "rock and roll" in a strict sense of the word. Neither is Dylan or many other past inductees. But rock and roll is a broad term, with lots of sub-genres and spin offs that it is responsible for contributing to.

At one point, we might have had more "great" bands coming on the scene each year than we've had recently - but that's only apparent after some time has passed. That's why the rule for elegibility, IIRC, is 25 years after your first release.

George Harrison is as worthy of that honor as anyone I can think of. And he's already been inducted for his work as a member of the Beatles. As a solo artist, he probably became elegible in 1995 or so. Maybe a bit earlier if you count the obscure Wonderwall as his first solo release. Anyway, there's been a bit of a backlog, and it's taken some time for them to catch up. And while I don't agree with all the choices they've made or the order some of them were selected in, I think that most of the inductees are deserving of the honor due to the longevity of their careers, their artistic output and yes, even their popularity.

While I'm not a huge Prince fan, something like "Let's Go Crazy" is not all that far stylistically from the roots of rock, and as strange as it seems, he's been on the scene for longer than 25 years. Is all of Jackson Browne's output strictly "rock and roll"? Hardly - but I'm glad he's going in. Ditto Seger and ZZ Top, who actually sit closer to the roots of rock than many of the others.

Look, I hate a lot of these awards shows too, and I see a lot of things on them that make me mad, disappoint me or just make me scratch my head and say "huh?" - but I like some of the artists they selected this year, and the clip I saw on TV this morning had Prince doing a very cool solo on While My Guitar Gently Weeps. And as a huge Beatles and Clapton fan, to admit that is no small thing for me. But it looks like there could be some cool MUSIC at this show, and I certainly want to watch it. I may walk away afterwards with a different viewpoint, and I certainly respect the POV of those who have disagreed with me, but I thought this might be a good topic for discussion. After I watch the show, if I change my opinion, I'll definitely say so.

At least it was a music related topic. ;)

Originally posted by fantasticsound:

Originally posted by Dan South:

When did Prince ever play rock 'n' roll?

More to the point...

How does Prince rate entrance alongside George Harrison, as well as some of the other inductees? George was a living legend 10 years before anyone had heard of Prince. He had a good solo career that was rejuvinated by his association with The Traveling Wilburys in his third decade of musical stardom. He gets in, posthumously, 40 years after arriving on the world's music scene, yet Prince gets in in half the time?

For that matter, Traffic and several of the others nominees certainly deserved entry long before Prince.

But ZZ Top?

Seriously?

Bunch of sexist bearded twats.

Prince should have been in years ago.

"That's what the internet is for. Slandering others anonymously." - Banky Edwards.

Originally posted by nursers:

Motley Crue and Poison also need to be inducted.

Indicted?

Abducted?

"That's what the internet is for. Slandering others anonymously." - Banky Edwards.

Originally posted by Rog:

But ZZ Top?

Seriously?

Bunch of sexist bearded twats.

Prince should have been in years ago.

You're kidding? ZZ Top could've rested on their laurels when Prince came around. Instead, they were just as big as Prince again in the 1980's, and they've been entertaining big audiences ever since. Lots of classic hits that seem to have survived the test of time well. (Tush, LaGrange, Cheap Sunglasses, Legs, Sharp Dressed Man, etc.)

As for sexist, I can't say about the guys, however, if you're pointing to the scads of scantily clad women in their videos I think you'd be hard pressed to forget that this is Rock & Roll we're talking about. ;D Though that is not why I like ZZ Top, association with girls in bikinis, et al, would seem to be a positive for entrance in the Rock & Roll HOF. (Assuming you have the music to back it up, which they do.)

I don't have anything against Prince. I just don't see him as particularly worthy when so many earlier bands deserve this accolade and were set aside. I'm not even a big Sabbath fan, but those guys trailblazed for so many hard rock bands that followed. Prince, for all his talent, doesn't seem to rate quite as important in the grand scheme of things. Just my opinion.

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Originally posted by DWBass:

RE: Prince

You may not like it but look at the record sales! That's what pretty much gets you in! He's an icon and he's deserving!

Oh, the record sales! Of course! So, I suppose that Britney Spears will be inducted next year, right? She's sold more records than anyone else in the last five years, right? It's the record sales! The record sales! Woohoo! The record sales!

The Black Knight always triumphs!

Prince DID do rock and roll - or - how are you judging rock and roll? Bob Seger's Night Moves is pretty light listening compared to "Nikki" or "Bambi" by Prince.

George Harrison's ripoff "My Sweet Lord" is a fricking SNOOZER compared to "Let's Go Crazy".

Rock and Roll and Pop Music are interchangeable. If you disagree with that, then yank the lame ass Beatles out of there. Those boys were pop thru and thru, from "Twist and Shout" to "Get Back". I'm not saying they were bad. No - the Beatles were awesome. But they were HARDLY Led Zeppelin or Black Sabbath.

So, then, how are you going to judge what's rock and what's not? You cant. Prince's contribution to music may not touch your ears because you're too busy digging on "The Wall" and "Dark Side Of the Yawn" still, but there's been some great music since then.

And George Harrison's revitalization with the travelling Snoozeburys was minimal at best. Roy Orbison got a bigger shot in the arm than Georgie did. And that's probably because Roy Orbison never blatantly ripped off a number one soul hit.

So to recap - just because YOU aren't a fan of the music from a band HARDLY negates their contribution to music.

But yeah, George Harrison's music sucked totally.

Wow!this thread has turned ta shit.Harrison sucks

Prince is the man.No Prince sucks and Harrison's

the man.Sounds like first grade. :(

The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.

Originally posted by no_talent_Bum:

Prince DID do rock and roll - or - how are you judging rock and roll? Bob Seger's Night Moves is pretty light listening compared to "Nikki" or "Bambi" by Prince.

George Harrison's ripoff "My Sweet Lord" is a fricking SNOOZER compared to "Let's Go Crazy".

Rock and Roll and Pop Music are interchangeable. If you disagree with that, then yank the lame ass Beatles out of there. Those boys were pop thru and thru, from "Twist and Shout" to "Get Back". I'm not saying they were bad. No - the Beatles were awesome. But they were HARDLY Led Zeppelin or Black Sabbath.

So, then, how are you going to judge what's rock and what's not? You cant. Prince's contribution to music may not touch your ears because you're too busy digging on "The Wall" and "Dark Side Of the Yawn" still, but there's been some great music since then.

And George Harrison's revitalization with the travelling Snoozeburys was minimal at best. Roy Orbison got a bigger shot in the arm than Georgie did. And that's probably because Roy Orbison never blatantly ripped off a number one soul hit.

So to recap - just because YOU aren't a fan of the music from a band HARDLY negates their contribution to music.

But yeah, George Harrison's music sucked totally.

Sure go ahead and trash everybody's hero's pal.

The thing is they no doubt respected each other's

music.Why can't we do the same?

The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.

Over here too eh? I responded to this in the Guitar forum...Prince has done a lot of Rock n Roll and his influence on rock bands like Ween, Flaming Lips, Beck, Radiohead, Aerosmith, David Bowie and hundreds of others is clear.

Bambi

Little Red Corvette

Darling Nikki

Let's Go Crazy

Purple Rain

Chaos and Disorder

all rock tunes

Hearing his guitar solo on "While My Guitar Gently Weeps"...I'd say he definitely belongs in the catchall "rock and everything else" category. Prince's solo rocked.

I'm not against that. Over the years though, I've seen some folks out of the thirties and forties inducted...and that was years before anyone ever heard of "rock and roll". Not that they don't have a place in music history, they do...and perhaps they were influential on rock and roll.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Let me be clear. I like some of Prince's music. I just don't understand how he rates entrance in half the time of George Harrison when there have to be lots of other HoF caliber artists from the 1950's, '60's, and '70's still waiting for their nod.

I'm interested to hear what about Aerosmith makes you think Prince influenced them. If anything, I'd say it's the other way around. Aerosmith's first shot at stardom was long over when Prince arrived, yet they came back playing music that was exactly what I would've expected had they simply stopped playing in the late 1970's and picked up again in the mid 1980's.

Just interested to know what makes you say that comment.

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Archived