Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Just bought a Korg M1

Gary75

I know, loads about, get it in an app. But I spotted a mint one with battery replaced not 5 miles away and I couldn't resist.

Having said that, I'm wanting to get a late 80's 90's dance chart band going so figure an M1 would be nice to have!

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still a nice board if you get it at the right price.

I had one for about 7 years before selling it. Bought it at $350 in 2003, sold it for $850 in 2010 to a Tejano musician (the M1 seems to be very popular with those guys around the border... pre-Wall, that is). :crazy:

Got a ton of use out of it (gigged it a lot), kept it in top shape, and made a tidy profit in the end. Now that's getting your value out of a keyboard!

Kurzweil PC3, Yamaha MOX8, Alesis Ion, Kawai K3M

They still have a wicked residual. We have a mint one I got from a pawn shop in Syracuse, NY for $300.00 as a back up. I replaced the battery and reloaded all the factory sounds off the card I kept all these years. The thing is build like a tank.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

I remember saying to a friend when they first came out that it would never become obsolete 'cause it had 16 bit sounds, like a CD!

Of course what I didn't know then (which was mostly everything), is the ridiculously small amount of memory for the sounds. Probably upwards of 80MB after decompression?

How much was that board new? I wish I'd jumped on the bandwagon back then, but I was pretty low funded. It's amazing how complete a workstation it was, right out of the gate.

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win11 laptop // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

How much was that board new? I wish I'd jumped on the bandwagon back then, but I was pretty low funded. It's amazing how complete a workstation it was, right out of the gate.

According to Wikipedia, $2,166. I remember GASing for one when they came out. Added it to my list of things I couldn't afford :(

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

I recently played on a extremely mint Korg Trinity PRO-X . Boy did digital sound development come a long way since then....In fact i thought it was totally unusable with my current standards in mind.

However the M1,T1,Wavestation and 01/W had A² synthesis which gave a warmth lacking in the purely sampled Trinity and Triton series.

For pads and certain synthsounds the M1,T1,Wavestation and 01/W (used to own one) sounded great, the rest not so much with what we have in our (soft)synths today.

The trinity i wouldn't want to have for free !!! Unless of course i could make some money secondhand.

I still have a couple M1Rs. Really enjoyed playing my first M1 back in the day.
Montage 7, Mojo 61, PC-3, XK-3c Pro, Kronos 88, Hammond SK-1, Motif XF- 7, Hammond SK-2, Roland FR-1, FR-18, Hammond B3 - Blond, Hammond BV -Cherry

Wow, I just got back with it, it's totally mint, even underside, screen, not a mark! I'll post some pictures in the daytime when I set it up above my Kronos!

I had one in 1991, 16 years old, up until then there had only been a Lowrey organ in the house. I owe the M1 my playing today really. My parents took out a bank loan on an ex-demo back then. I hope I repayed them in return.

So I got there and tried my memory. Prog patch 64, Rockorgan, damn, close, it's Rockguitar!

Joe Zawinul hung on to his (modified) M1 until the end! That's how much he loved the thing. Saw him live in '06 (just one before he passed) and yep, he still had the M1 in his rig. Speaks volumes that such a keyboard playing master would keep this synth while others came and went.
Kurzweil PC3, Yamaha MOX8, Alesis Ion, Kawai K3M

I bought a new Korg M1 back in 1989 and played it for about 3 years or so.

A local pawnshop has a Korg M1R that appears to be in good shape. They also have a Roland D550 too.

While I'm tempted to take a nostalgic trip down memory lane, I had a Roland D50 back in the day as well, I'm sure my time with those rackmount units would be short-lived.

But, what's old becomes new again. I'm sure there are useful sounds in the mint condition M1. Enjoy. :thu::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

i have just got one. a friend was flicking through the presets and playing some riffs whilst I listened from a distance. it still sounds great and i'm sure it would still cover most of the bases in a cover band scenario. in fact, it would be an interesting and fun challenge to gig today with just an m1.

whilst listening to my friend playing, i noticed that althoug not super-realistic by todays standards, the presets still sound like the instruments that they are supposed to be emulating, they are crisp, with punch and clarity and I'm sure they'd cut through the mix quite well in a band situation.

hang out with me at woody piano shack

I used to love my M1 back in the early 90s. A huge step up from the DX21 I had before.

Funny...that was my exact upgrade path. Still have both of them. I'm probably selling my M1 because it just takes up space and if someone else can give it some love (and I can make a little cash) then why not pass it on?

But, man, that thing was great for a long while. And it's funny how Korg's architecture became the de facto blueprint for all workstations.

Live rig: Roland FA-08, Yamaha MOTIF ES 6, laptop for supplemental sounds.

Of course what I didn't know then (which was mostly everything), is the ridiculously small amount of memory for the sounds. Probably upwards of 80MB after decompression?
Think smaller. WAY smaller. It has 4MB (megabytes) of waveform memory. I don't know what kind of sample compression was used but back then but it wouldn't have been anything complicated (like, say, mpeg). My guess is no better than 16MB uncompressed.

Think smaller. WAY smaller. It has 4MB (megabytes) of waveform memory. I don't know what kind of sample compression was used but back then but it wouldn't have been anything complicated (like, say, mpeg). My guess is no better than 16MB uncompressed.

Back when programmers earned their money.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

My first encounter with an M1 was in 1989 in a music store. It was still very new back then and very expensive. I couldn't afford it. Besides which, it didn't do any analog-like sounds (its digital filters aren't resonant), which was what I preferred. The D-50 in the store definitely could do those sounds but I couldn't afford it either. (There were NO actual analog synths in my local stores back then!) I ended up with a D-10, which is sort of a D-50-light (VERY light!), can do analogish and digital sounds, and is multitimbral to boot.

Both the M1 and the D-50 still get a lot of respect today. The D-10; not so much. :D (I still have it though. It's not worth enough to try to sell and it does make some good sounds.)

Archived