Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roland RD-2000

ElmerJFudd

Roland RD-2000

https://www.roland.com/global/products/rd-2000/

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a284/pichosterforme/Roland_RD_2000.jpg

Standard Features

Next-generation RD stage piano with two independent sound engines and modern controller features

Dedicated acoustic piano sound engine with the latest Roland advancements provides authentic, richly detail tone with full polyphony

Second SuperNATURAL-based sound engine with 128-voice polyphony for electric pianos and additional sounds (compatible with RD-800 Live Sets)

Eight knobs with LED status indicators and nine sliders for real-time control of sounds and effects

Eight fully assignable zones for combining internal sounds and external sources (including software instruments)

PHA-50 keyboard features hybrid wood and molded construction for premium touch and lasting durability

Classic electric pianos on board, including Rolands legendary RD-1000 and MKS-20

Recreations of vintage analog effects, including the BOSS CE-1 Chorus, Roland Dimension D, and more

Over 1100 non-piano sounds, including organs, strings, brass, synths, and many others

Two wave expansion slots for loading additional sounds from Rolands Axial website, including sounds from previous RD-series pianos

100 Scene memories for saving and recalling setups with one touch

Traditional Roland pitch/mod lever and two assignable wheel controllers

24-bit/192 kHz USB audio/MIDI interface

Tech Specs

KEYBOARD SECTIONKeyboardPHA-50 Keyboard: Wood and Plastic Hybrid Structure, with Escapement and Ebony/Ivory Feel (88 keys)SOUND GENERATOR SECTIONSound Generator2x Independent Sound Engines

Sound Engine1: V-Piano Technology

Sound Engine2: SuperNATURAL

SuperNATURAL Piano

SuperNATURAL (E.Piano, Clav)

Virtual Tone Wheel Organ

PCM Sound GeneratorMax. PolyphonyV-Piano Technology Sound Engine: Full Polyphony

SuperNATURAL Sound Engine: 128 voicesParts16 parts (Max 8 parts are used in the PROGRAM)Tones1,100 tones OverProgram300Scene100EffectsModulation FX: 4 systems, 62 types

Tremolo/Amp Simulator: 4 systems, 6 types

Reverb: 6 types

Delay: 5 types

Sympathetic Resonance (Only for SuperNATURAL Piano)

3-band Compressor

5-band Digital EqualizerAUDIO FILE PLAYERFile FormatAudio Files (WAV format, 44.1 kHz, 16-bit linear)RECORDER SECTIONFile FormatAudio Files (WAV format, 44.1 kHz, 16-bit linear)External Storage DeviceUSB flash drive (supports USB 2.0 Hi-Speed flash memory)OTHERRhythm Pattern200 patternsControllersSlider x 9 (with illumination)

Knobs x 8 (with illumination)

Pitch Bend/Modulation lever

Modulation Wheel x 2DisplayGraphic LCD 256 x 80 dotsConnectorsMAIN OUT (L/MONO, R) jacks: 1/4-inch phone type

MAIN OUT (L, R) jacks: XLR type

SUB OUT (L, R) jacks:1/4-inch phone type

NPUT jack: Stereo miniature phone type

Pedal (DAMPER, FC1, FC2, EXT) jacks: TRS phone type

MIDI (IN, OUT1, THRU/OUT2) connectors

USB (COMPUTER) port: USB type B

USB (MEMORY) port: USB type A

PHONES jack: Stereo 1/4 inch phone type

AC In jackNumber of USB Audio Record/Playback ChannelsSignal Processing: 24-bit

Sampling Rate: 192 kHz, 96 kHz, 88.2 kHz, 48 kHz, 44.1 kHz

Record: 2 channels

Playback: 2 channelsPower Consumption23 WAccessoriesOwners manual

Power cord

Damper pedal (capable of continuous detection)OptionsKeyboard stand: KS-G8B

Piano pedal: RPU-3

Damper pedal: DP-10

Pedal switch: DP-2

Expression pedal: EV-5

USB Flash MemorySIZE AND WEIGHTWidth1,412 mm

55-5/8 inchesDepth367 mm

14-1/2 inchesHeight140 mm

5-9/16 inchesWeight21.7 kg

47 lbs 14 oz

* Actual weight can vary slightly from that indicated due to the fact that wooden parts are involved.

[video:youtube]

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

demos show off that distinct Roland AP/EP sound.

I owned 3 different RD stage pianos over 12 yrs. My last Rd was the Rd700GX1.

when I had multiple boards/racks, the RD was an excellent midi controller.

They all had a great feeling piano keyboard. The organs were mostly useless but that was the only flaw I can think of

I see Roland has jumped on the sound engine bandwagon, in that they have 2 on this model.

With the Kronos arriving in 2011, I had little need for the Rd700GX1 and sold it. I still think highly of the Rd stage pianos.

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

Looks serious. Hope to get my hands on it tomorrow.

It's cool they have included the RD-1000/MKS-20 sound. Shows how good that was for its time.

Prolly not gonna happen, but what if they made a 76-key version with aftertouch? :drool:

local: Korg Nautilus 61 AT | Yamaha MODX8

away: GigPerformer | 16" MBP M1 Max

home: Kawai RX-2 | Korg D1 | Roland Fantom X7

I can't imagine a better instrument than my MP11, but I'll admit, this Roland has sex appeal... The design looks great.

I love the LED crowns on the knobs and sliders. And yes... It's got wheels, glorious wheels. :thu:

Sundown

Just finished: GatewayThe Jupiter Bluff

Working on: Driven Away, Eighties Crime Thriller

Main axes: Kawai MP11 and Kurz PC361

DAW Platform: Cubase

My .02: The piano sounds real good. I wish I knew how to get throught the Roland marketing buzzwords though. Does "V-Piano technology" mean actual modeling, the same as the V-piano? Or a cut-down version? Regardless, the piano sounds good to me listening to the u-tubes on headphones.

As a current owner of an MKS20 (which hasn't seen a volt in many a year), I'm not that enthralled that I can hear those sounds again they were great for their time, but I can't see using the MKS's AP sound in anything I do now. The Rhodes had a certain charm to it but it sounds very "digital" to me now, and Roland didn't waste too much time abandoning S/A back in the 80s.

One plus is that I got introduced to Berenice Scott never heard of her before this and no mention on this forum before now either. Very nice!

No D-Beam???? No likey! NEXT!!!!!!!!

LOL - LOVE d-beam on my stage pianos. ;)

- ya ya, I know it does a lot more than pianos. :)

----

It's interesting that they chose to use two engines - some derivative of the V-Piano for the piano sounds, and SuperNatural for everything else. Which suggests perhaps that they don't believe the SN pianos are the best Roland has to offer. Or - at least SuperNatural is an older buzz word and trickle down from V-Piano has more value. Not sure - but I believe this is what they are doing across their whole digital piano line - all their new stuff is using modeled, or perhaps sampled attacks and modeled sustains.

Given that this one and the FP-90 both have the PHA-50 action - which one of these would you go for? FP-90 is 52lbs 1oz ($1799), and this RD-2000 is 47lbs 14oz - price... eh, the RD-800 is $1999 - CP4 is $2299... so what's this 8 zone beast going to cost... $2199? $2399?

I see Roland has jumped on the sound engine bandwagon, in that they have 2 on this model.

In a way, I'm surprised they describe it has having merely 2. On some technical level, I'm sure that's correct. But from a marketing perspective and from a user experience perspective, I think you could justify saying it has more. Their distinction is V-Piano vs. SuperNatural, but SN includes, in a sense, multiple sound engines... i.e. the clonewheel is kind of its own animal, and arguably, the SN (at least partially modeled) acoustic sounds are something apart from the straight PCM sounds. But here's how they break it down:

Sound Engine1: V-Piano Technology

Sound Engine2: SuperNATURAL

SuperNATURAL Piano

SuperNATURAL (E.Piano, Clav)

Virtual Tone Wheel Organ

PCM Sound Generator

Max. PolyphonyV-Piano Technology Sound Engine: Full Polyphony

SuperNATURAL Sound Engine: 128 voices

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Going after the Forte market - stage piano on steroids.

Looking at the pictures, there are 9 sliders with organ footings labelled underneath them.

It will be interesting to see how this is priced.

Hmmm, stick a Numa Compact 2 over it? Hmmm, what are options for an organ action controller to take advantage of them having stuck the SuperNatural organ engine in here with drawbar control on the faders? I wonder if it does upper and lower manual via MIDI? Worth a look at the manual...

I wish I knew how to get throught the Roland marketing buzzwords though.

Boy, they've been doing that for years, but I never recognized it when I was younger.

Linear Arithmetic anyone?

Sundown

Just finished: GatewayThe Jupiter Bluff

Working on: Driven Away, Eighties Crime Thriller

Main axes: Kawai MP11 and Kurz PC361

DAW Platform: Cubase

without going OT I don't believe anyone who owns a Yamaha CP4 is going to switch to a RD-2000, OK maybe someone will, but why? RD-200 will be a great keyboard. CP4 is a great keyboard. Good times. :cool:

disclaimer, I own a CP4.

BTW, Theo, good to see you posting again. :thu:

:nopity:

Linear Arithmetic anyone?

:roll:

I see your Linear Arithmetic, and raise you a Structured Adaptive.

local: Korg Nautilus 61 AT | Yamaha MODX8

away: GigPerformer | 16" MBP M1 Max

home: Kawai RX-2 | Korg D1 | Roland Fantom X7

Going after the Forte market - stage piano on steroids.

Looking at the pictures, there are 9 sliders with organ footings labelled underneath them.

It will be interesting to see how this is priced.

Big sites showing $2499

David

Gig Rig:Roland Fantom 08 | Roland Jupiter 80

:(. I'm sure the rd-2000 will be great but I was really hoping for an update to the FA-06 with integra sounds and 16 layers.

Nord Stage 2 HA76 | Roland FA-06

Gretsch G5420s I H&K Statesman | Strymon Flint | Catalinbread SCP | Source Audio Nemesis.

My first reaction was a quiet WOWWOOHOO!

:(. I'm sure the rd-2000 will be great but I was really hoping for an update to the FA-06 with integra sounds and 16 layers.

The FA does have 16 layers, doesn't it?

Life is subtractive.
Genres: Jazz, funk, pop, Christian worship, BebHop
Wishlist: 80s-ish (synth)pop, symph pop, prog rock, fusion, musical theatre
Gear: NS2 + JUNO-G. KingKORG. SP6 at church.

In a way, I'm surprised they describe it has having merely 2. On some technical level, I'm sure that's correct. But from a marketing perspective and from a user experience perspective,

A fair statement. I haven't noticed Roland missing an opportunity to play the marketing side of a product. The RD has a long history and if I needed a stage piano, I would not hesitate

[70's Songwriter]

Plus 10 extra pounds over the CP4 iswell 10 pounds. ;) It seems so many guys I talk to these days - middle to late 40s, 50s and 60s and beyond - that 38 to 40 lb. range seems to be the max people want to deal with.

Agree, after having an S90ES for many years as a bottom 88 and now the Stage 2 for a few years, I can't see going back to anything over 40 pounds. Almost as important for me: I won't go back to an 88 with the extra length required to have the controllers to the left of the keyboard. I realize that's not a universal sentiment though.

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

Only 100 store-able 'scenes'? No thanks.

Come on Roland (and others). Kurzweil gives me thousands of 'scenes', and I don't think it's a major feat of engineering/coding.

I love my RD-700GX, but I'm planning on ditching it soon for Kurz because I keep bumping against that 100 setup limit.

Putting that aside, though, this looks like a significant update to the RD line.

Come on Roland (and others). Kurzweil gives me thousands of 'scenes', and I don't think it's a major feat of engineering/coding.

I love my RD-700GX, but I'm planning on ditching it soon for Kurz because I keep bumping against that 100 setup limit.

Putting that aside, though, this looks like a significant update to the RD line.

I recall the cool setup feature with the RD.

I don't recall- was there a step with a USB stick to add more setup file(s) ?

[70's Songwriter]

No doubt the Kurzweil's are super versatile and a lot of people are fine with the TP-40L for doing AP, EP, synth, orch, organ, etc. I just wish I loved it for pianos which I don't and that's a tough one. Much more inclined to see them do the Forte in some synth actions (a 73 or 76 would be great, 61 some could live with) and stick with a stage piano that has an action I do like for piano below.

Anyone had a go at a PHA-50? It's also on the FP-90 which I haven't seen in a shop yet either.

I recall the cool setup feature with the RD.

I don't recall- was there a step with a USB stick to add more setup file(s) ?

Yep, you can save and load them from USB. But, having half of a gig stored in a small USB stick makes me nervous. And it makes it almost impossible to do any re-ordering of setups, particularly if I'm set up on location without a computer.

The weight is still a killer for me.

I have an RD800 in my studio, and love the action and sound, but I'll never take it to a gig. I'm too spoiled by the weight of the Nord's.

Coming in at the same price the RD800 started at is a pretty competitive compared to the Forte. Whether you prefer the sound of the Roland of Kurzweil is completely subjective.

Overall, though, it's a nice movement forward in the RD series from Roland.

Prolly not gonna happen, but what if they made a 76-key version with aftertouch? :drool:

The weight is still a killer for me.

Yes and yes. As good as this looks for what it is, I could imagine a VR-2000, i.e. an organ-centric version of the same design, with the faders replaced by things that look like drawbars, and smaller and lighter by virtue of having 76 non-hammer-action keys, but a high quality action, along the lines of what they had in the VR-700 or what they have in the Jupiter 80 (or even Jupiter 50). If they feel it's important to maintain more distinction between "piano" and "organ" models, they could take the V-piano engine out of the "organ" version. Perhaps it could have the SN synth engine, even if only editable via iPad (as they did on the VR-09). Something like that, with aftertouch, down in the 30 lb range would be a pretty killer board, that would leverage a lot of the same tech but appeal to a different buyer.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Archived