Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roland RD-2000

ElmerJFudd

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The exchange rate has been killing us on gear purchases for a couple years now.

I probably would've gone for the RD-2000 as well, but weight and price directed me to the Kurz SP6. I think, like many of you, I enjoy playing Roland boards a fair amount, regardless of whatever semantics and technicalities there may be. They feel right.

I have an slightly older FP-80, with no escapement...the just prior generation of the action your looking for in the FP-90 I do believe. It's a good action...I just not 30 min. finished playing an RD2000 at lunchtime at GC... and I thought it reminded me of my FP-80.. though the FP-80 is not as good as the RD2000 ...but it has a similar general feel and response so 90 will be in that ball park I think . .

They had an FP30 at GC that I was pleasantly surprised about in terms of it's action for a compact DP...wasn't bad! Felt very good for a sub compact DP.

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

So, I just got the RD2000 yesterday. This is a REAL instrument! I havent been THIS inspired at a digital keyboard for a LONG time.

The APs dont pop out at you like Nords do, but I will massage them in editing later....they are FINE for practice, and since that soundset wont be in my gig wheelhouse, I can live with that.

The EPs are absolutely inspiring and I can see many happy practice sessions and gigs with these EPs and the Motion Sound KP 408s.

But, my first impression getting this thing out of the box was, What a BOAT!!

I dont love that extra block at the end for the pitch/mod paddle. And I was never a fan of THAT thing anyway! Cmon Roland! REALLY? But I guess RD is really hidebound by tradition ....Like Korg and that damned RH3! But I digress!......

OTOH, its built like a goddam TANK! And the finish is DOPE! Totally good looking.

I got the Gator case and did my little load-in experiment. I can deal.....the case REALLY helps.

I just set up the audio interface side and will try it out with Keyscape and Omnisphere later today. I havent used Mainstage in a while, but Ill test that out too. I might have Gig Performer in my future as my live software usage has whittled down to Keyscape and Omnisphere and Im hearing these two arent playing nice with Mainstage. But we will see.

Anyway, Im really HAPPY with the RD in a way I havent been with the Nords, except for the NP4..... and if it gets to be too much to schlep after a while, I am planning to get a Forte 7 a bit later on anyway and I can use that as my gigging keyboard and keep the RD at home for practice.....

More later...

"I have constantly tried to deliver only products which withstand the closest scrutiny � products which prove themselves superior in every respect.�

Robert Bosch, 1919

I just set up the audio interface side and will try it out with Keyscape and Omnisphere later today.

You're in for a real treat playing the Keyscape C7 with the RD!

Thanks for the heads up, Steve! Cant wait!

"I have constantly tried to deliver only products which withstand the closest scrutiny � products which prove themselves superior in every respect.�

Robert Bosch, 1919

Be sure to check out the expansion packs on Roland's site http://axial.roland.com/category/rd-2000/ . Particularly the organ and vintage synths ones.

-Z-

Thanks Z, will do!

Robert Bosch, 1919

I just saw where Ed Diaz of Roland posted something about setting up the RD-2000 to use with MainStage on FB. It might be on the YT as well.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I just saw where Ed Diaz of Roland posted something about setting up the RD-2000 to use with MainStage on FB. It might be on the YT as well.

I just saw that, Joe. Havent checked it out yet, but I did download it!

Robert Bosch, 1919

Keyscape Pianos play, sound and feel AMAZING on this keybed and thru the built in Interface!

Robert Bosch, 1919

• 2 weeks later...

Keyscape Pianos play, sound and feel AMAZING on this keybed and thru the built in Interface!

Iwas just about to inquire about how the audio interface is on the rd2000,as far as latency and setup.Glad to hear jimkost2002 has had good results. Just about ready to lay my cash down.

In store only not online like the mailer says. Go to GC in store and get the discount not online. Hope this makes sense!

Not sure what mailer you got but mine said in store only

My bad but that is what I said in store only!

Right. I'm still confused why you said "not online like the mailer said" when the mailer didnt say that. It said in store only

Archived