Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Mariah Carey New Year's Eve Debacle

Bif_

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't think it was as bad as the articles made it out to be. If she can't hear herself, singing off key would be a disaster.

But she could have just amped up the crowd and had some fun. It would have decreased the chances of anyone noticing something was wrong.

Sundown

Finished: Gateway,  The Jupiter Bluff,  Condensation, Apogee

Working on: Driven Away, Eighties Crime Thriller

Main axes: Kawai MP11 and Kurz PC361

DAW Platform: Cubase

Seemed like she was in key when she did sing a word or two, and also some high notes seemed to be on playback (and she didn't even attempt to lip sink).

Yet every other act seemed flawless...hard to believe her IEM just went out as there were floor monitors too...so strange.

Sure would like to have been a fly on the wall in the production truck...

Hammond A100 w/ 2x Leslie 122, Leslie 145 w/ combo pedal, Casio P5S, SS3, Groove Tubes SFX G5 cab + CPS/QSC RM4500 KB amp, 1955 Steinway 48" studio upright.

Can't tell you the number of times monitors glitched when I was gigging- the singer stuck a finger in his ear, and carried on - on pitch - until the sound crew got it sorted.

Guess she's still too new at this to know that trick...

..Joe

Setup: Korg Kronos 61, Roland XV-88, Korg Triton-Rack, Motif-Rack, Korg N1r, Alesis QSR, Roland M-GS64 Yamaha KX-88, KX76, Roland Super-JX, E-Mu Longboard 61, Kawai K1II, Kawai K4.

It's live music. She can't stick a finger in her ear because she has high dollar custom mold IEMs. LOL Her ears are full. I'm glad she still sings a live vocal track.

A woman that I used to work with used the finger in the ear trick before IEMs sometimes if she had trouble hearing harmony. She was going to have a T-shirt made that said 'It's better with a finger in it." She was a onry girl.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Well, at least we all know for sure which parts of her vocals she's got tracked. Not too bad, I really thought her voice has been entirely shot (which saddens me as she came up with a great voice) and she was tracking everything. Not counting out the wrong track theory... hmmm. Maybe her camp will make a statement? If you watch her lip syncing to Auld Lang Syne you can see already, right from the start she can't hear shit. Can't line up at all. So was the Emotions track supposed to have her lead track in the mix as well? I'm not sure - her mic is live the entire performance. I think it's most likely she just couldn't hear shit from her IEMs. Case study for putting floor wedges up as backup? - her crew shouldn't have let this happen and they should have had a plan B since this happened to her at Rockefeller Center a few years back as well.

I also get that she is still in pretty good shape (even after being a momma of two), has a big and loyal fan base, Christmas/New Years is a big gig for her and she's not ready to quit - she loves the adoration way too much.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Her tweet:

"Shit happens. Have a happy and healthy new year everybody! Heres to making more headlines in 2017."

Well, rather than freak out and go into meltdown mode - 46-year-old-mother-Mariah-Carry seems to have a healthier perspective. :thu:

Two words - BootyMax, Thighmaster.
Legend Exp,NC2x,Crumar Seven,KeyB Duo MK111,Nord C1,Nord C2D,Triton Classic,Fantom G7,Motif ES,SonicCell,BK7m,PA1x pro,VP770,TC Helicon,Leslie 3300,MS Pro145,EV SXA250(2),Traynor K4,PK7a,A70,DM10 Pro.

Her MD and one-time Keyboard columnist Mike McKnight posted

My friends know who I work with and I hope they know better than to disparage her on my page. Most of you are in the music business and know that shit does indeed happen, and boy did it ever last night. FWIW, I was in LA not NYC because ABC insisted on using their people... budget once again over music.. I would ask all of you to take a breath before you criticize, and understand that when shit hits the fan like that it's hard to recover in front of millions of people.. be kind.. let's start 2017 better than 2016 ended.
:thu:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Yeah, watching that it's clear she wasn't getting what she expected in her ear, and couldn't hear whatever was going on out front. I thought she handled it fine. She only had a couple of seconds to come to grips with what was going on, and it's not like the music or the clock was going to slow down and wait for her.

The thing about the "let's get that track going y'all" makes me think that indeed, she was told she'd be syncing to tracks and realized pretty quick that wasn't happening.

FWIW, this is why you will never see a live performance at the Superbowl or any other large-scale, high-profile cattle-call event. We all want it both ways, it seems...

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

I would rather be a nation of sympathetic, understanding, compassionate individuals, than one that jumps on someone's mishap or misfortune like a pack of starved paparazzi. I think it's a shame that the media has jumped all over this, along with social media.

Sundown

Finished: Gateway,  The Jupiter Bluff,  Condensation, Apogee

Working on: Driven Away, Eighties Crime Thriller

Main axes: Kawai MP11 and Kurz PC361

DAW Platform: Cubase

FWIW, this is why you will never see a live performance at the Superbowl or any other large-scale, high-profile cattle-call event. We all want it both ways, it seems...

Well, we (society, not us KB players) are very much the ones to blame, always expecting pitch-perfect technically flawless performances. I remember, I think it was last year, hearing some vocal performer singing on Rockin' New Years Eve and she really sounded terribly pitchy. It took all of 10 seconds to realize that she was actually singing. I would much prefer a mediocre but authentic performance to charades, but I am clearly in the minority.

Nord Stage 2 Compact, Yamaha MODX8

To be honest, I watched this debacle where nothing went wrong and it was entirely lame anyway. YMMV, our eyes may vary as well. But I broke 40 five years ago and remember when dance acts were really doin' it too. But whatever, to each their own.

[video:youtube]

Two words - BootyMax, Thighmaster.

That's some petty shit.

Versions of this have come up a few times in this thread. I was trying to avoid being "that guy"...though I'm glad someone was.

www.joshweinstein.com

Live by sync.... die by sync.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

it wasn't the screw up on SNL that single handedly tanked Ashlee's career.

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RrLAgi_mBY

Boo'd

[video:youtube]

Maybe more to do with the public's aversion to seeing siblings, children, etc. succeed where their famous family member did prior. Also I'd like to think that you can't just throw money, management, a song writing team, and every other opportunity at someone and expect a win. There has to actually be some talent there - if not for singing, at least a star quality personality, vibe, look something that clicks with an audience. Similarly, we've seen capable singers do Idol and Voice etc. every season and they don't all have the X factor, right? Just ask Simon. ;)

it wasn't the screw up on SNL that single handedly tanked Ashlee's career.

Maybe more to do with the public's aversion to seeing siblings, children, etc. succeed where their famous family member did prior.

There was a one-two punch factor with both of these elements at play. As you say, people were already suspicious of her for the obvious nepotism, so her authenticity was already in question. And IIRC, Jessica had a couple of lip-syncing fails of her own already. But the SNL performance was the parting blow. That weird little jig, and the fact that she handled like a clod, blaming the band and acid reflux and a couple of other things. Plus on that show in particular, music is expected to be live. All together, it closed off a career that didn't have enough traction to survive it.

www.joshweinstein.com

Maybe more to do with the public's aversion to seeing siblings, children, etc. succeed where their famous family member did prior.

Well, Homer and Marge are a tough act to follow.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Archived