Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Talk box help on 24K Magic - Bruno Mars New Song

Bobadohshe

Looks like 24K Magic is going to be the new 'Uptown Funk'. It's obviously a killer song with tons of throwback 80s (and some 90s) vibe.

I borrowed my guitar player's Rocktron Banshee and have been trying to get the intro dialed in. I'm having numerous issues but trying to deal with them one by one.

My biggest problem is the distortion that the speaker of the Banshee imparts when you have any gain dialed in. This means I can't play chords at all without heinous distortion ruining it -- basically as if you were playing through a distortion pedal.

Is this why people build their own talkboxes? I don't want that distortion but I can't get any gain otherwise.

I am using an open sawtooth patch as the source.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Couldn't you use a vocoder for this? That's what it sounds like to me as opposed to talk-box.

Micro-korg used for $199 would do the trick (assuming you don't have something with a vocoder already)

Korg Kronos 2 61, Kronos 1 61, Dave Smith Mopho x4, 1954 Hammond C2, Wurlitzer 200A, Yamaha Motif 6, Casio CDP-100, Alesis Vortex Wireless, too much PA gear!

If I have to do it I will be using a T Pain preset I have set up on my Vocal Processor. No need to play anything. Just sing the part.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Couldn't you use a vocoder for this? That's what it sounds like to me as opposed to talk-box.

Micro-korg used for $199 would do the trick (assuming you don't have something with a vocoder already)

It is definitely a Talkbox and not a vocoder. The part was played by Byron "Mr. Talkbox" Chambers. He's a bad ass.

Endorsing Artist/Ambassador for MAG Organs and Motion Sound Amplifiers, Organ player for SRT - www.srtgroove.com

Are you able to drive the input to the Banshee any hotter? I seem to be able to get sufficient volume without using the gain on mine (you are correct, it seems even a little gain causes a lot of distortion). Realistically, it doesn't have to be too loud if you are close to your Mic.

http://p.globalsources.com/IMAGES/PDT/BIG/700/B1042335700.jpg

+

http://3.imimg.com/data3/BV/LR/MY-269945/transparent-silicon-rubber-tubing-250x250.jpg

+

http://www.etronic-parts.com/images/product_images/popup_images/125_0.jpg

=

http://www.gavinbradley.com/linernotes/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/Talkbox2.jpg

Moe

---

Still need an amp to drive it. Also make sure the driver has a low frequency range - most of them don't go low enough and will not sound good.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

The first thing I saw someone say about this song was a complaint about the overuse of autotune. :facepalm:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Do you want to cover the lead vocal in the intro or just the backing parts? If it is the lead then a just a vocal processor set to hard - electric - auto tune will do that. Like Analogaddict said the intro is a two man job.

It isn't until after 3:25 into the tune I hear what sounds like a blatant in your face voice box. Before that the annunciations are too good. At best it is a layered vocal or it is a really good vocoder plugin.

That said I think the Vocoder on the Montage will get you pretty much there if you use the right patch with the right filter settings as the carrier wave. The old XF vocoder was pretty darn versatile. I'm guessing the Montage is just as good.

[video:youtube]

I have a solution. For the second 'chordal accompaniment' part, I'm playing a generic poly analog and sending it through a vowel filter. I'm layering a vocoder on top of that at low volume to give it some movement. I've had to condense the chords and get really clever in parts, but I think I have a workable solution.

I also found what may be a solution to my distortion quandry. I turned the source wave (sawtooth from the Montage) way down and cranked the banshee gain way up. This mitigated the distortion a bit and allows me to play chords. No idea if it will fly live though.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

Yeah. You do that with a kick ass band behind you through quality sound without the YouTube compression you are golden

Do you sing? Do you have separate vocoder and vocal mics or does a single mic pull double duty. I've been using a Radial ABo pedal to route my mic to either FOH vocal or the Kronos vocoder.

That is so Hilaryous,

sorry, from sweden so I cannot spell....

Must agree that the 24k video is a bit too far from politically correct, thought the " 90s sexist shitmusicvideos" was buried not to come back again.

otoh

Seems like 24k will be big hit which many of us will end up play, so good thread in that respect. Good work on the talkbox bobadoshee.

Just to complicate things further, the version of 24K Magic given us DJs omits the talkbox/vocoder section completely, and starts on the verse after the usual beat loop they give us for mixing.

So depending on how this plays out and which version people get used to hearing the most, you may not need it at all.

Archived