Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Budos Band "keyboard player" trashes rented Vox Continental

Chris Link

There is also a photo of him standing on the keyboard of a Hammond. I have long ago forgotten where I have photos hosted and so can't readily put it in this reply.

(It would be nice to be able to post pictures directly on this forum.)

If memory serves, it was posted in a reply to the Budos Band's "apology" on their Facebook page.

aka âmisterdregsâ

Nord Electro 5D 73

Yamaha P105

Kurzweil PC3LE7

Motion Sound KP200S

Schimmel 6-10LE

QSC CP-12

Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs

Rolls PM55P

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I saw that pic too misterdregs, it was on FB.

Live: Nord Stage 3 Compact, Nord Wave 2, Viscount Legend

Toys: Korg Kronos 2 88, Roland Fantom 08, Nord Lead A1,Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP

www.echoesrocks.com

And, as an aside, he doesn't appear to be standing on the bench of that B-3 (from my perception). You may disagree.

There's another shot of that same scene, and his foot is on the upper manual keys of the B-3, which could cause serious damage: cracked keys, bent key channels, damaged manual contacts, etc... And I'm pretty sure that's not his B-3. It's pretty clear from the photos that tossing keyboards around is part of the show for Deller.

I have personally worked with The Budos Band before, during, and after a show at a festival. Like I said earlier, I like their music, but I also saw things that, for the sake of professional discretion, I'd prefer not to write up and post publicly. Suffice it to say that it fits with the pattern.

If I were doing backline for them at this point, I'd say, "You get a Nord, and if you break it, you can buy us a new one at the local Nord dealer."

I've wanted a Vox Continental since I was 16. I'm now 69 and still want one.

Awhile back, I expressed my love for for vintage gear to the leader of the band I was in at the time. Imagine my surprise when I showed up for a rehearsal, and there was a fully intact and functioning V-301H set up in my practice space! He knew someone who had one, and thought it would be cool to see my reaction.

Naturally I asked if I could use it for our upcoming gig that weekend. That got a firm and definite no :laugh: It was a one-shot deal in a very controlled situation.

I just checked Ebay. There have been no fully intact and functioning Vox Continentals even offered for sale during their entire search history (let alone sold) which goes back a couple of months. The idea that working Continentals are somehow out there and readily available... well, it's simply not true.

Mike Deller mistreating a CX-3 elicits one kind of emotional response, but deliberately trashing a Vox Continental is something completely different and much more repulsive - at least to those of us who understand the history and fragility of these keyboards.

That's the way it is to me anyway - maybe not to some, and obviously not to Mike Deller.

Most Continentals have now made it into the hands of collectors who aren't selling them, and people don't understand all the detailed work that goes into restoring these to perfect working order.

I've had a V-301H for 25 years made in California by Thomas Organ, and it's actually quite reliable. Every few years a divider pair will go out, but it's no big deal. The Italian models are more fragile and fussy.

I'd like to see what the reaction would have been if it had been a mint 1950s Fender Tweed-era amp that he'd started knocking around on stage. People practically worship those.

It's real simple. Whenever I've loaned gear for backline, the implicit agreement is that it comes back to me in the same condition it was when I loaned it. The vast majority of times it has worked that way. Now, if I KNOW a band has a reputation for tearing up gear and I still loan it out, I can hardly be shocked when something bad happens, IOW, it's kind of of on me in that instance. These guys seem to be repeat offenders in this regard. I stand by what I said earlier....if I loaned this guy a keyboard and he treated it like that, well, let's just say that the scene backstage would have been a bit.....heated and leave it at that. If I knew the guys rep, NO WAY it would have been loaned to him to wreck in the first place. i don't care WHO you are, or how big you think you are, to treat someone else's gear in that way is just a large pile of disrespectful BS, the fact that the guy who loaned it seems cool with it not withstanding.....

If more come forward and tell the same story I'll join the mob, because it's not cool to do this I agree, but until then this thread kind of sounds like a bunch of women bitching on The View.

Gee, I would have, but "The View" never invited me to talk about it.

;)

If the sax player trashed a rented Selmer Mark VI, there are a bunch of sax players who would consider the resulting act as justifiable homicide.
These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

Look at the audience... All drunk guys. Figures.

Like I said before... Girls really get turned on by fat drunk a-holes wearing thongs...

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Finally saw this band play live - at the Psycho Las Vegas festival at Hard Rock Hotel.

New Orleans style horn band mashed up with Genre X seems to be a trend in the Brooklyn music scene.

I didn't see any keyboard smashing this time. Decent band but I probably was in a favorable mood at the time as it was at least a break from all the metal bands that were playing there - now I do like metal but after a nearly endless stream of bands in that genre a break is nice.

Video was originally posted by the owner of the Vox. I'm guessing he took it down. He seemed to feel bad for some reason for all the vitriol directed at the band and KB player. They were apparently going to repair the damage and that was good enough for him. He is a fan of the band. I can't believe he didn't know this idiot's history of abusing other people's gear.

Edit: A long post from the owner's Facebook page is somewhere in this thread. He explains his position and is okay with the outcome.

aka âmisterdregsâ

Nord Electro 5D 73

Yamaha P105

Kurzweil PC3LE7

Motion Sound KP200S

Schimmel 6-10LE

QSC CP-12

Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs

Rolls PM55P

Look at the audience... All drunk guys. Figures.

Like I said before... Girls really get turned on by fat drunk a-holes wearing thongs...

Two of my bandmates were in this concert. All nice and easy. People just had a good time and Budos killed it. No instruments trashing or anything like this.

Of course you'll find the average drunk guy in any concert in this world, unless you're in the New Years Eve in Vienna Philharmonic. So better not judge the book by its cover.

The guy is maybe a little stupid or something, but the Budos Band is a great band.

Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

I think he's got an extreme case of stationary instrument inferiority complex :-)

Good one ! S.I.I.C , seems like he is a bit sic©k , or a Di*k ,

"Ive been playing Hammond since long before anybody paid me to play one, I didn't do it to be cool, I didnt do it to make a statement......I just liked it "

Archived