Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Way OT: Exotic Sports Cars

Synthoid

Not being able to afford a Ferrari, Lambo, Aston Martin...etc, I enjoy "living vicariously" by watching video reviews and actual owner stories on YouTube. I've always heard how cramped these cars are, but every one of the reviews I've watched comes with a long list of "things we hate" about a particular car: breakdowns, rough ride, flaky transmission, wonky radio/ventilation buttons, wind noise, yadda, yadda, yadda. Amazing. Horrendous quality control.

But... at the end of the day, the badge, bragging rights, and loud/powerful engine are what it's all about.

Anyone here have experience with one of these machines?

:w00t:

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All the "sport cars" are not in the same category or prepared the same way.

1-Race cars that you can drive on the road, Porsche GT3RS, Ferrari 458 challenge, etc some McLaren or super exotic brands Pagani, Shelby, Koenig

2-Sports car that can be the base sometimes of the previous category like the 911, Ferrari 458.

The race car versions take a lot of the comfort out from the car like (not always) air conditioning, electric seats, radio system, anything that you don't really need and that is weighting the car. They also can add things to make the car stiffer or more safe in case of accident.

The base versions are surprisingly comfortable. The seats envelop/hug you, there is usually enough leg/head room (especially in a Porsche or an Aston Martin).

All of these cars have very strong and different temperaments. The main difference you feel when you drive them for the first time is less about the crazy acceleration but how directly you feel the road, how precise the steering wheel is and how stable is the chassis. The most impressive thing is how powerful the brakes are. After a while, you really get to know the car and can play with its temperament and specificities. A Tesla S in insane mode is very special but just for the few seconds during the acceleration, it is one dimensional.

All in all, the rides are stiffer because of the chassis and suspensions but the overall experience is quite nice for small and mid distance travelling. After a few hours though, the overall sound level, the stiffness of the suspension, the violent accelerations and and subsequent decelerations and the frequent gas station stops are tiring.

It is an exhilarating feeling to drive one, especially on a track.

By descending comfort level: Aston Martin, Mercedes GT, Porsche 911, Audi R8, Ferrari, Lambo, McLaren.

I have a friend who owns various rare Porsches and a couple of Ferraris. Not what you would consider hypercars, but pretty amazing.

Sitting in the Ferrari is like sitting on a go cart 6 inches off the ground. The door sill is UP. I made a pretty undignified exit from that car in front of a bistro once.

Moe

---

Sitting in the Ferrari is like sitting on a go cart 6 inches off the ground. The door sill is UP. I made a pretty undignified exit from that car in front of a bistro once.

Yes, I sat in a Testarossa once at a dealership about 15 years ago. Quite an adventure getting in and out of it. :)

We have one of these.............does it count?

http://i342.photobucket.com/albums/o430/alanjpearson/Cobra/453f18eb-9bfe-454e-b849-c14dbd4d1556_zps3mh87qai.jpg

Yamaha CP70B;Roland XP30/AXSynth/Fantom/FA76/XR;Hammond XK3C SK2; Korg Kronos 73;ProSoloist Rack+; ARP ProSoloist; Mellotron M4000D; GEM Promega2; Hohner Pianet N, Roland V-Grand,Voyager XL, RMI

Well we got it last October and frankly it is like owning your own fairground ride :crazy:

6.3L Chevy V8, 0 - 60 in 3.5 seconds.

After a short blast I look like Doc from Back to the Future.

Drinks petrol like you wouldn't believe, gets amazed looks and smiles everywhere, total blast :cool:

Yamaha CP70B;Roland XP30/AXSynth/Fantom/FA76/XR;Hammond XK3C SK2; Korg Kronos 73;ProSoloist Rack+; ARP ProSoloist; Mellotron M4000D; GEM Promega2; Hohner Pianet N, Roland V-Grand,Voyager XL, RMI

Not being able to afford a Ferrari, Lambo, Aston Martin...etc, I enjoy "living vicariously" by watching video reviews and actual owner stories on YouTube. I've always heard how cramped these cars are, but every one of the reviews I've watched comes with a long list of "things we hate" about a particular car: breakdowns, rough ride, flaky transmission, wonky radio/ventilation buttons, wind noise, yadda, yadda, yadda. Amazing. Horrendous quality control.

But... at the end of the day, the badge, bragging rights, and loud/powerful engine are what it's all about.

Anyone here have experience with one of these machines?

:w00t:

Don't know if this is on your list. Wife has a Mini Cooper. Very popular car in our area.

after the 3 yr warranty expires, the owner has to foot the ongoing maintenance. As you may have guessed, this is expensive. Especially compared to comparable Honda ownership.

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

My 11 year old is enamored with them, the wife likes the little cute ones like the Boxter. Me - meh - I'll take a SUV -- esp on Florida roads (need all the protection you can get).

To me, those fancy dancy cars are a way of compensating for something... :D

My 11 year old is enamored with them, the wife likes the little cute ones like the Boxter. Me - meh - I'll take a SUV -- esp on Florida roads (need all the protection you can get).

I have no problem in the sausage department, I'll have you know! ;)

On that basis can I just say I have a 1 litre Ford Fiesta.

So that's why they're called bangers in the U.K. I never made the connection before.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

she's a school teacher. I think you need to meet her and have a little talk ;)

[70's Songwriter]

So um... back to the OT. :laugh:

http://d2t9x9fzk70mi5.cloudfront.net/media/catalog/experience/cache/340x/u/l/ultimate-exotic-racing-vegas.jpg

I drove a Cup car at Charlotte Motor Speedway in the Richard Petty Driving Experience.

Pretty cool! :2thu:

Street car, closest I can come was my '95 Z28, LT1 6 speed. Black on black, hard top. Leather. :cool:

This is not a meet up place. Maybe try TwitBook :lol:

[70's Songwriter]

My day time job is restoring classic cars. Going on 38 years now. From time to time I get to drive some exotics. It was a lot more exciting when I was younger. Now that I'm getting on in years, All that comes to my mind now is how impossibly hard it is to work on those cars. Years ago the owner of a Ferrari BB512 aked me to drive his car. I really wanted to but I couldn't get my size 12 feet under the dash to work the pedals. Same customer has a collection of Ferrari's and when I talked to him last week he said none of his collection had been out for six years. Cool cars to look at. Just really hard to maintain and drive. ~BOB
I'm practicing so that people can maybe go "wow" at an imaginary gig I'll never play. -Nadroj

Cool cars to look at. Just really hard to maintain and drive.

Seems there's just not a lot of quality control or consideration for the driver with the exotics.

My wife use to have a little Solstice GXP. It was fun as all get out to drive, but I had to put my hand on the ground every time I got out of it, and had to get in it butt first or my head wouldn't clear the roof, unless the top was down.

Finally sold it after one day I said, I bet this thing would run up to 100mph pretty quick, and she said, oh it will do way more than that. What?

We were both afraid she would hurt herself in it because of her heavy right foot. She had been racing also some in it. She was winning, but still, not good.

I just said "something" -- could be height, looks, self-esteem.. anything really. Curious you went right to the schlong. LOLOLOLOLOLOL :saber:

I just said "something" -- could be height, looks, self-esteem.. anything really. Curious you went right to the schlong. LOLOLOLOLOLOL :saber:

LOL. Maybe you ' inspired ' him.

[70's Songwriter]

Well I knew it wasn't height, looks or self esteem in my case :keynana:

My day time job is restoring classic cars. Going on 38 years now. From time to time I get to drive some exotics. It was a lot more exciting when I was younger. Now that I'm getting on in years, All that comes to my mind now is how impossibly hard it is to work on those cars. Years ago the owner of a Ferrari BB512 aked me to drive his car. I really wanted to but I couldn't get my size 12 feet under the dash to work the pedals. Same customer has a collection of Ferrari's and when I talked to him last week he said none of his collection had been out for six years. Cool cars to look at. Just really hard to maintain and drive. ~BOB

So what are your restoring at present?

Cool cars to look at. Just really hard to maintain and drive.

Seems there's just not a lot of quality control or consideration for the driver with the exotics.

The Cobra is relatively easy to maintain, however to fit me into the drivers seat they had to take off the rails and bolt it to the floor or my knees hit the wheel - and I'm only 6ft.

Archived