Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Way OT: Exotic Sports Cars

Synthoid

Close friend owned a Lamborghini Countach LP500 S.

The sills were wider than the seats and like Moe I couldn't manage a dignified entry or exit. The clutch was real heavy and the gear box betrayed Lamborghini's tractor heritage.

With the engine less than 6" from your head and the heat transfer to me they are an expensive roller coaster ride.

While locally made large cars with 6.0l or 6.2l Chev V8's are available that will do me for the moments when I want grunt under my right foot. The other 99% of the time it is just a car.

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a friend with a Jack Roush Mustang built for Jacks son who sold it to my friend. Black on black with supercharger and over 700hp. It has been on half a dozen NASCAR tracks when owned by the Rousch's.

On a different note I have a Mazda Miata with 309,000 mile of very reliable FUN driving. Not so much fast as a monster curve hugger. I have spun it twice and never hit a thing total control when it busted loose. Lol

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.steveowensandsummertime.com

www.jimmyweaver.com

I have a friend with a Jack Roush Mustang built for Jacks son who sold it to my friend. Black on black with supercharger and over 700hp. It has been on half a dozen NASCAR tracks when owned by the Rousch's.

My good friend here in town owns the "basic" 430hp Roush.. crazy!

Kronos 88 Platinum, Yamaha YC88, Subsequent 37, Korg CX3, Hydrasynth 49-key, Nord Electro 5D 73, QSC K8.2, Lester K

Me & The Boyz

Chris Beard Band

Long time car guy here. Exotics are not for daily driving, quality control is all about the drive train and chassis dynamics when on a track. That's pretty much it. Anybody who has the means and an interest in one knows that so stop with all the comparisons to real cars. They're big boy toys with deep pockets and they don't give a crap.

As for me I love performance but I'm on a budget. I've owned nothing but older Benz's for a good 25 years now. The right model Benz is just as reliable as the Japanese cars. 250-300K no problem but you do need to know the models and stay away from the ones with the hydraulic suspensions. They're reliable enough but if that system takes a dump you're talking around 12K to fix it.

My last two have been the V8 CLK coupes. Great cars, my current one is an 03 CLK500, 309 HP with the Tiptronic trans. It has 145K on it and you would never tell if I don't tell you. Looks and drives like new plus since this is a musicians forum, the rear seats fold down flat. I can stuff all my crap in that car. It flies and still gets 25 mpg on the highway. Performance guys know it's not just the engine, it's the trans too and the Tip really makes that thing go.

Years ago I factory ordered a 68 Firebird HO convertible, Hurst 4 speed with a claimed 345 horses but you never know what the real numbers were in those days. Do I wish I had it now? Uhhhh YEAH. But oh well, at the time it was just another car that I traded for my musicians road car, a 69 Riv. Wish I still had that one too.

Bob

Hammond SK1, Mojo 61, Kurzweil PC3, Korg Pa3x, Roland FA06, Band in a Box, Real Band, Studio One, too much stuff...

My day time job is restoring classic cars. Going on 38 years now. From time to time I get to drive some exotics. It was a lot more exciting when I was younger. Now that I'm getting on in years, All that comes to my mind now is how impossibly hard it is to work on those cars. Years ago the owner of a Ferrari BB512 aked me to drive his car. I really wanted to but I couldn't get my size 12 feet under the dash to work the pedals. Same customer has a collection of Ferrari's and when I talked to him last week he said none of his collection had been out for six years. Cool cars to look at. Just really hard to maintain and drive. ~BOB

So what are your restoring at present?

In my shop today. A 1954 Olds 98 4door deluxe, A 1981 Jeep CJ-8, A 1971 Cuda 440 six pac, A 1970 Olds Cutlass Supreme convertible and a 1967 Firebird 400 convertible. My web site; www.carshinerestorations.com ~BOB

I'm practicing so that people can maybe go "wow" at an imaginary gig I'll never play. -Nadroj

You seem to restore a lot of oldsmobile cutlass's. Looking at your gallery made me miss mine. It was a 1970 Cutlass SX with the 455 under the hood and was bought from a little old lady in Pasadena........Texas. I guess she never pushed it much because the first time we punched it, it hiccuped, blew the exhaust loose, and we thought messed up the transmission because it wasn't going anywhere, but it was just roasting the tires. Fun car, would pass most anything but a gas station.

I came home from work this morning to find a '16 Charger SRT Hellcat in my neighbor's driveway. It's pretty and apparently powerful, but my neighbor is an idiot and will surely hurt himself in this thing. He has more money than brains. Bought his oldest daughter a VW Beetle, then traded in his Saleen Mustang so she could have her "dream car," a $40k Jeep. She's 16. Not sure how he's going to follow that with his other 2 daughters.

I guess he couldn't stand not having his own toy. He told me this morning that he'd make sure that the girls only get the black key when they take it out. The oldest has wrecked both the VW and the Jeep. I fear for these people.

9 Moog things, 3 Roland things, 2 Hammond things and a computer with stuff on it

This guy drove his 2 million dollar Bugatti Veron into the water just a little ways from my house. Said something about dodging a seagull.

[video:youtube]

He tried to collect insurance, but what he didn't know was that these guys recorded him doing it.

He told me this morning that he'd make sure that the girls only get the black key when they take it out.

Out here the law was changed so that drivers with less than 2 years experience cannot legally drive V8's or high performance variants of 4's or 6's.

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

He told me this morning that he'd make sure that the girls only get the black key when they take it out.

Out here the law was changed so that drivers with less than 2 years experience cannot legally drive V8's or high performance variants of 4's or 6's.

No such law in Tennessee. Very few laws from what I can tell.

Edit: Couple of minutes ago I actually took a look inside the Hellcat. Automatic. I said, "Are you kidding me, man?" He said, "I'll never have another stick after the Saleen. You can't do anything when you're driving it. You can't talk on the phone, you can't do nothing." I said, "I thought that was the point."

Idiot.

9 Moog things, 3 Roland things, 2 Hammond things and a computer with stuff on it

Edit: Couple of minutes ago I actually took a look inside the Hellcat. Automatic. I said, "Are you kidding me, man?" He said, "I'll never have another stick after the Saleen. You can't do anything when you're driving it. You can't talk on the phone, you can't do nothing." I said, "I thought that was the point."

Idiot.

:mad::hitt::pop:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

This guy drove his 2 million dollar Bugatti Veron into the water just a little ways from my house. Said something about dodging a seagull.

I've seen that one... and a few other exotic wrecks on YouTube. Stooopid. :facepalm:

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

I never cared all that much for the crazy exotics. I could never see myself in a Lambo. I always did like the Ferrari 365 GTC. It's very similar to the Daytona but a lot less flashy.

http://www.rsiauto.fr/images/FERRARI/365-GTC4/365-GTC4-1.jpg

I have always loved the 911 though and about ten years ago I bought a 2004 996. What a magnificent car. The engine and transition are perfectly matched, and it has gobs of torque and power. Prior to that I had a 2002 Mini Cooper S, and for comparison, the 911 weighed more, had twice the displacement, more than twice the horsepower, probably 3 or 4 times the torque, yet got better gas mileage. The 911 can get 30 mpg on the freeway if you can keep your foot out of it. For a high end sports car it was quite civilized and could be a daily driver if you wanted. That engine is just a work of art.

I would have loved to have kept it, but I had one car too many and got tired of it getting dinged up from when I had to keep it out in the street because my Prius was full of music equipment. I like being able to come home from a gig and pull right into the garage for the night and unload in the morning. So about a year and a half ago I sold both the 911 and the Prius and bought the Mazda 3 hatch to sorta split the difference. I've been very happy with the Mazda but I do miss the 911 on long road trips.

My day time job is restoring classic cars. Going on 38 years now. From time to time I get to drive some exotics. It was a lot more exciting when I was younger. Now that I'm getting on in years, All that comes to my mind now is how impossibly hard it is to work on those cars. Years ago the owner of a Ferrari BB512 aked me to drive his car. I really wanted to but I couldn't get my size 12 feet under the dash to work the pedals. Same customer has a collection of Ferrari's and when I talked to him last week he said none of his collection had been out for six years. Cool cars to look at. Just really hard to maintain and drive. ~BOB

So what are your restoring at present?

In my shop today. A 1954 Olds 98 4door deluxe, A 1981 Jeep CJ-8, A 1971 Cuda 440 six pac, A 1970 Olds Cutlass Supreme convertible and a 1967 Firebird 400 convertible. My web site; www.carshinerestorations.com ~BOB

Very nice work - might have to come and commission something from you one day!

Yamaha CP70B;Roland XP30/AXSynth/Fantom/FA76/XR;Hammond XK3C SK2; Korg Kronos 73;ProSoloist Rack+; ARP ProSoloist; Mellotron M4000D; GEM Promega2; Hohner Pianet N, Roland V-Grand,Voyager XL, RMI

Archived