Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Crumar Mojo 61 Review - (LONG)

Hi,

has anyone noticed Wi-Fi connection issues lately?

I've recently updated iOS (14.2) and couldn't reach the editor anymore due to "response contained invalid HTTP header" browser error.

Maybe it's just a latest Safari "feature", will check further...

Guess you have the same problem I had, you are a software version or 2 behind.

Go to Crumar and get the latest firmware update 1.41, unpack it and place it on a USB thumb stick

Take a USB cable A to B type ( like on a printer, the square connection in one end, and the regular in the opposite), connect it from your computer to your Mojo, join your normally internet and go to www.gsidsp.com

Now you should be able to reach your Crumar, and you can edit and most important - update your Mojo with the USB thumb stick.

/Bjørn - old gearjunkie, still with lot of GAS

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

New Mojo 61 firmware update came out over the weekend. From Crumar: 

We have two important firmware updates:

Mojo 61 - update to version 1.50

Seven - update to version 1.36

You can find the files in the support section:

https://www.crumar.it/?a=support

Naturally, all users of these two instruments are invited to download and install these very important updates.

Among a few fixes and optimizations for both instruments, Mojo 61 brings in the new improvements that have been made to the Tine and Reed EP models, the new 3-band EQ and also opens the doors to the future ability to replace the internal acoustic piano sound with a new one.

On the other hand, the new firmware for Seven adds 5 velocity curves, and a new "mix" parameter to the Phaser effect.

Please read the README.txt file included with each zip file for more details about the new changes.

Have FUN!

Numa X Piano 73 | Yamaha CP4 | Mojo 61 | Motion Sound KP-612s | Hammond M3

10 hours ago, Noah DC said:

New Mojo 61 firmware update came out over the weekend.

Question -- Did you get an email about that?

I didn't...............

Old No7

(and THANKS for the heads-up)

Yamaha MODX6 * Hammond SK Pro 73 * Roland Fantom-08 * Crumar Mojo Pedals * Mackie Thump 12As * Tascam DP-24SD * JBL 305 MkIIs

1 hour ago, Old No7 said:

Question -- Did you get an email about that?

I didn't...............

Old No7

(and THANKS for the heads-up)

No, I didn’t get an email (although it’s possible I’m not on the various listservs). I saw this through a social media post…

Numa X Piano 73 | Yamaha CP4 | Mojo 61 | Motion Sound KP-612s | Hammond M3

10 hours ago, Noah DC said:

No, I didn’t get an email (although it’s possible I’m not on the various listservs). I saw this through a social media post…

Thank you -- I just setup a reminder on my phone to check it 2X per year.

Old No7

Yamaha MODX6 * Hammond SK Pro 73 * Roland Fantom-08 * Crumar Mojo Pedals * Mackie Thump 12As * Tascam DP-24SD * JBL 305 MkIIs

I'm definitely considering getting one of these to go with my Forte.   Still debating whether I want to sell some other stuff (ugh I hate even the thought of that process) and maybe get a stage 3 compact and go one keyboard for quite a few of my gigs (it would also be very handy for practices with the ability to play synth and piano too, and do splits).  Man the $$ though...

1 hour ago, Stokely said:

I'm definitely considering getting one of these to go with my Forte.   Still debating whether I want to sell some other stuff (ugh I hate even the thought of that process) and maybe get a stage 3 compact and go one keyboard for quite a few of my gigs (it would also be very handy for practices with the ability to play synth and piano too, and do splits).  Man the $$ though...

as the forte has an aux out have you thought about investing in a leslie sim and attach it to the aux out of the forte.  direct dry organs to the aux out, have a pretty good organ/leslie sound for a fraction of the cost and a one minute hookup.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

I liked the changes to the pianos; tone and keybed feel. The EQ is also a nice improvement, especially the bass and treble. Mid is good with all the other piano voices. I find using very little mid with the organ and internal sim is the way to go. When I use  Vent 2 or Burn pedal, season mid to taste. Would LOVE if the boys added another Leslie sim or 2 to choose from, alla Burn pedal menu….

16 hours ago, Delaware Dave said:

as the forte has an aux out have you thought about investing in a leslie sim and attach it to the aux out of the forte.  direct dry organs to the aux out, have a pretty good organ/leslie sound for a fraction of the cost and a one minute hookup.

Yep, it was one reason I got it (originally the PC4 but my order was backlogged for too long) and I was just looking at options for this.  It also opens up some possible fun with routing rhodes or other sounds through pedals.    My rig is not in a bad place for two keyboards, with the MODX+B-3X ipad organ, but yeah if I want to go with one it does seem pretty easy to improve the leslie with a pedal.  I'd probably go with either the minivent or the Lester K, from the prices and what I've heard of them.  Ideally I'd be able to use a separate footswitch as I'd worry about the pedal wear but I guess they are made to be stomped (?)  :)

And honestly I did many gigs with my pc361 as my organ and everything else, and in recordings doing our rock thing it sounded fine.  But I've been a bit spoiled by the sound of B-3X, even if I would rather not rely on an ipad live.

• 1 month later...

Been trying to use my Mojo 61 with the lower manual with my iPad pro for extra sounds and of course having problems with it.  Wasn't sure if I should put the questions here or start a new thread with iPad in the title.  Since it involves my Mojo I decided to start here.   First, I bought the CME WIDI Master and it works great.  That and a simple USB  C> 1/4" audio plugs gets the sound from the iPad to my amp.  It started with me wanting to use a bass guitar sound for bass on a gig a few months ago.  I put the Korg Module Pro on my iPad and first thing I found out is there's no bass guitar patches on it and none of the add on libraries have any basses either.  What?!   Welcome to the world of IOS sounds...Module is touted as a good rompler sound module but no basses?  Whatever.  I can play all of the Modules other sounds on the lower manual although the AP's are really no better than the one on the Mojo.   Then I bought SampleTank IOS because I know it has a ton of basses and pianos but I couldn't get it to recognize the WIDI Bluetooth connection.  After a bunch of searching I found a post on the IKM form saying sorry, ST for IOS doesn't support Bluetooth.  Yet another IOS gotrcha.  All of this frustrating crap just to get my Mojo to play a stupid bass guitar sound that every digital keyboard I've ever had over the last 25 years has standard.   I'm writing this all out because I keep reading oh, just get an iPad and midi it up to your Mojo and you can play all these cool sounds.  Not so fast grasshopper!  Maybe ST for IOS will do what I want but I have to ditch my WIDI Master and buy the whole iPad to midi connector thing to even hear what the damn thing sounds like.

Here's the next step I tried in this play some bass guitar journey.  On the IKM Forum is this:

by Jmcclainjr630 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:54 pm

I found a way to get around this. I have a Yamaha UD-BT01(MIDI Adapter) for my EWI USB to use with another app I was told about recenly called Thumbjam and the app is cool but i missed Sampletank and the soundbank that came with it. So i connected the Yamaha UD-BT01 in the Thumbjam app and opened Sampletank and like a charm it works! Currently i have to connect the device through the Thumbjam app in order for the device to work with Sampltank. It does not work with Sampletank independently.

So I bought Thumbjam.  Luckily the IOS apps are cheap compared to buying actual keyboards.  Despite what this person wrote I can't see ST after I've opened Thumbjam and got it playing using the WIDI.   But it does have one half decent bass guitar patch.  I'm thinking I can at least get by with using that for the gig but yet another gotcha.  On the Mojo lower manual the bass is playing one octave too high.  The app has an octave shift but the Mojo doesn't recognize it?  Now what?  I tried and tried and no, no matter what I do it will not octave shift down.  This is getting ridiculous and I wound up doing the gig with standard organ pedal bass sounds.

I looked into buying the Triton add on for the Korg Module but nowhere can I find a patch list and the few YT vids I found are run by idiots, no patch list, no bass demos anywhere.  The Triton pack is the most expensive one and I'm not buying it unless I know for a fact it has the basses I need.

That is the background, now for my questions:

1.  Can anyone confirm the Triton IOS has basses?  You would think it does but I don't trust anything IOS now without knowing for sure.  Any other good IOS rompler type modules with bass guitars and good other sounds like AP's EP's, strings, brass etc that works over Bluetooth?

2.  Why doesn't the Mojo respond to Thumbjam's octave shift instruction?

3.  Can someone decipher what the person wrote on the IKM forum?  Maybe I'm missing a step he didn't explain.

Bob

Hammond SK1, Mojo 61, Kurzweil PC3, Korg Pa3x, Roland FA06, Band in a Box, Real Band, Studio One, too much stuff...

Yeah, I know how ridiculous it sounds for Korg Module not to have any bass samples. I think back in the beginning that was one of my complaints back on the App Store. They complied with bass added to splits only, and crappy bass to boot. I doubt if the Triton has basses other than synth sounding basses.

If you're looking for a great bass app for iOS, the best one out there is still iFretless Bass. It works with WIDI Master in standalone. If you want to simultaneously use other sounds with it, you'll have to get into a Host type app. My go-to is AUM.

Here for the gear.

51 minutes ago, Jazzmammal said:

Been trying to use my Mojo 61 with the lower manual with my iPad pro for extra sounds and of course having problems with it.  Wasn't sure if I should put the questions here or start a new thread with iPad in the title.  Since it involves my Mojo I decided to start here.   First, I bought the CME WIDI Master and it works great.  That and a simple USB  C> 1/4" audio plugs gets the sound from the iPad to my amp.  It started with me wanting to use a bass guitar sound for bass on a gig a few months ago.  I put the Korg Module Pro on my iPad and first thing I found out is there's no bass guitar patches on it and none of the add on libraries have any basses either.  What?!   Welcome to the world of IOS sounds...Module is touted as a good rompler sound module but no basses?  Whatever.  I can play all of the Modules other sounds on the lower manual although the AP's are really no better than the one on the Mojo.   Then I bought SampleTank IOS because I know it has a ton of basses and pianos but I couldn't get it to recognize the WIDI Bluetooth connection.  After a bunch of searching I found a post on the IKM form saying sorry, ST for IOS doesn't support Bluetooth.  Yet another IOS gotrcha.  All of this frustrating crap just to get my Mojo to play a stupid bass guitar sound that every digital keyboard I've ever had over the last 25 years has standard.   I'm writing this all out because I keep reading oh, just get an iPad and midi it up to your Mojo and you can play all these cool sounds.  Not so fast grasshopper!  Maybe ST for IOS will do what I want but I have to ditch my WIDI Master and buy the whole iPad to midi connector thing to even hear what the damn thing sounds like.

Here's the next step I tried in this play some bass guitar journey.  On the IKM Forum is this:

I found a way to get around this. I have a Yamaha UD-BT01(MIDI Adapter) for my EWI USB to use with another app I was told about recenly called Thumbjam and the app is cool but i missed Sampletank and the soundbank that came with it. So i connected the Yamaha UD-BT01 in the Thumbjam app and opened Sampletank and like a charm it works! Currently i have to connect the device through the Thumbjam app in order for the device to work with Sampltank. It does not work with Sampletank independently.

So I bought Thumbjam.  Luckily the IOS apps are cheap compared to buying actual keyboards.  Despite what this person wrote I can't see ST after I've opened Thumbjam and got it playing using the WIDI.   But it does have one half decent bass guitar patch.  I'm thinking I can at least get by with using that for the gig but yet another gotcha.  On the Mojo lower manual the bass is playing one octave too high.  The app has an octave shift but the Mojo doesn't recognize it?  Now what?  I tried and tried and no, no matter what I do it will not octave shift down.  This is getting ridiculous and I wound up doing the gig with standard organ pedal bass sounds.

I looked into buying the Triton add on for the Korg Module but nowhere can I find a patch list and the few YT vids I found are run by idiots, no patch list, no bass demos anywhere.  The Triton pack is the most expensive one and I'm not buying it unless I know for a fact it has the basses I need.

1.  Can anyone confirm the Triton IOS has basses?  You would think it does but I don't trust anything IOS now without knowing for sure.  Any other good IOS rompler type modules with bass guitars and good other sounds like AP's EP's, strings, brass etc that works over Bluetooth?

3.  Can someone decipher what the person wrote on the IKM forum?  Maybe I'm missing a step he didn't explain.

Bob

Have you tried Hammond Bass?  It's good enough for jazz players, it might meet your needs..... 

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

Yes, the Triton expansion pack for the Korg Module has several basses including Acoustic Bass, Stein Bass, Dark R&B Bass, along with a few synth basses. 

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

5 hours ago, Jazzmammal said:

Bob

Hi Bob

I just checked the Module Pro Triton pack on my iPhone, and it litst 7 bass patches, at the very end.

- Nasty Bass

- Acoustic Bass

- Rezbo

- 30303 Mega Bass

- Super Switch Bass

- Stein Bass

- Dark R&B Bass

Not sure if any of those are sounds you want, but there are 7 options. 

Also, I think maybe you can demo Korg Module sounds for a 7 day free trial?  Might be able to try that way?

Doh! Beat to the punch

Bob

Hammond SK1, Mojo 61, Kurzweil PC3, Korg Pa3x, Roland FA06, Band in a Box, Real Band, Studio One, too much stuff...

16 minutes ago, HammondDave said:

Yes, the Triton expansion pack for the Korg Module has several basses including Acoustic Bass, Stein Bass, Dark R&B Bass, along with a few synth basses. 

Check out this YouTube video – it runs through all the sounds available. I don't think the basses are pro level, but YMMV.

Here for the gear.

Also check out Korg iM1 and Moog Music has Minimoog Model D app … both are for iOS … I don’t have first hand experience using midi controllers with them but they both have a variety of bass sounds that might do the trick.

Kurzweil Forte,Roland Fantom 6,Hydrasynth,Numa C2X, SpaceStation V.3, other stuffs

2 hours ago, ChrisDespo said:

Also check out Korg iM1 and Moog Music has Minimoog Model D app … both are for iOS … I don’t have first hand experience using midi controllers with them but they both have a variety of bass sounds that might do the trick.

I use the Model D app for certain songs like “Just What I Needed”, “Rebel Yell”, “I’m Just a Girl”, and a few others. I don’t play any bass, but you can certainly use it for bass. The trick is using it simultaneously with Korg Module. 

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

16 hours ago, drawback said:

Check out this YouTube video – it runs through all the sounds available. I don't think the basses are pro level, but YMMV.

Forgot to link the video. Here's the URL  

Here for the gear.

Thanks guys and now another mystery.  How the heck did my original post show up twice?

Anyway, sounds not being pro level seems to be a problem with IOS stuff but at this stage of my gigging life all I really need is good enough.  I'll load up the Triton then and hope for the best.  I don't need just basses, that was for that one gig.  It was for the classic rock band I'm in and the bass player got sick a few days before the gig and I was asked if I could do it.  I do know most of the parts and yes DD I've done organ bass for 50 years I was just hoping I could add some variety to it for that gig.  We do the Doors, Santana, Joe Cocker, the Stones, Eagles  etc.  What I need now is a better AP, a few synth things, strings and mostly horns. As far as patch names the IOS Triton has all of that, whether the quality is there I'll have to try it and see.  At the time I looked at it there was no trial period, you buy it you own it.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jazz1642606857 said:

Did the recent software update for the Mojo 61 change the default sound of its Rhodes?

Crumar Mojo61 - Version history

Version 1.50 - Jan 2022
- Midi Soft-Thru function: all incoming Midi Messages are forwarded to the Midi outputs.
- Midi PC and CC messages now are received only on the TX channel. In Local-Off mode, the Alt channel is used.
- Slight improvements to the Tine and Reed EP models
- New improved 3-band EQ algorithm
- Minor internal optimizations

I think that the internal optimizations clear and compact the memory so that a future acoustic piano update is possible.

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

• 3 weeks later...

Ok...this is why people including me will finally throw up their hands with midi/computer stuff and just buy another keyboard.

Before doing any more testing with IOS apps I read here there is a new OS version for the Mojo 61.   I cannot see the wifi editor on any of my devices.  When I first bought it a few years ago I used the wifi editor on my Android tablet with no issues but now nothing sees it including my brand new computer.  I can't say for sure but at the time I had the current version which should be 1.34 because it was only 2-3 years ago.  All my devices are using wifi but none sees the Mojo.  A user here posted he had the same problem and the update fixed it.  Ok, there's another way in the manual.  Plug in the Midi/USB port on the Mojo (the USB B) connector to a USB A port on the computer and navigate to the GSI site described in the manual.  I did that, the site opens up but all I see is a white box that says "Please connect your Mojo 61 to your computer".  Need I say it?  IT'S ALREADY CONNECTED!    I hear it beep the instant I plug it in so the computer recognizes something was just plugged in.  I tried it both ways go to the website first, then plug it in or plug in first then go to the website.  Same thing, the site doesn't see that it's connected.  While I've been writing this the site is open and I'm waiting for it to connect but so far nada.  Since I have no wifi editor and now trying it through GSI's site doesn't work either.

How do I first, see which version I have given the wifi isn't working and second, how do I get this thing updated?

Bob

usb 

Bob, are you using Chrome as your browser?  I think the GSI website “editor” requires Chrome — probably some kind of Google-specific API (?). As a Windows guy, I use the MS browsers, and I think I struggled with getting connected until I read the small print that Chrome was required…

• Like 1

Legend '70s Compact, Jupiter-Xm, Studiologic Numa X 73

Not yet, I'm hoping I'm missing something simple that someone here could point out.  Meanwhile I'm still testing some IOS stuff, the unit plays fine with whatever version I have it's just annoying to discover this update problem.  I'm a big believer in using the latest version of any software.  A weird thing that did happen was I first used the front panel USB port on my PC to plug the USB cable into and the instant I did that I lost my Logitech wireless mouse and keyboard.  Unplug it, they came back, plug it in they go dead.  Plugging it into a USB port on the back fixed that issue at least.

Bob

Yes, I used Chrome because I got an error with Firefox. 

Mdenriet, good idea but the install didn't work.  It starts out ok, click on the downloaded file, it opens with the Windows Permission question, click Yes, the next box asks English?  Yes, the next box is Install, Uninstall, Exit.  That's where the problem is, all those choices are not active.    When I exited that box I get a Windows popup asking if I want to try Compatibility Mode.  I click on that and all it does is repeat the same process as above with the same box with no active choices.

Brad, thanks for chiming in.  I believe you said the unit was updated to the time I got it from you meaning it should be above V1.1 correct?