Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Way, way off topic - Matt Kenseth & NASCAR

Danny Linguini

I'm not a religious NASCAR fan -- in fact I'm not at all happy with what they've turned 'stock car' racing into. But I catch a race or two when there's nothing else on. I actually missed yesterday's race; but since I heard that Kenseth wrecked Logano, I've been glued to the replays. I loved it. And the fans at the race sure seemed to enjoy it. He didn't just spin him, he mashed him into the wall. And I think if his car was capable, he'd have backed up and mashed him again. I don't care what the talking heads say, I don't care what penalties they hand down (and I'll bet at this point neither does Kenseth). I think that little bitch will think twice about the next race leader he thinks about spinning. And if he doesn't, I hope the next guy responds the same way Kenseth did.

Oh yeah -- and this Steve Letarte guy needs to go. Either switch to decaf or find another job that doesn't involve microphones.

D-10; M50; SP4-7; SP6

I'm a fairly accomplished hack.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm not a religious NASCAR fan -- in fact I'm not at all happy with what they've turned 'stock car' racing into. But I catch a race or two when there's nothing else on. I actually missed yesterday's race; but since I heard that Kenseth wrecked Logano, I've been glued to the replays. I loved it. And the fans at the race sure seemed to enjoy it. He didn't just spin him, he mashed him into the wall. And I think if his car was capable, he'd have backed up and mashed him again. I don't care what the talking heads say, I don't care what penalties they hand down (and I'll bet at this point neither does Kenseth). I think that little bitch will think twice about the next race leader he thinks about spinning. And if he doesn't, I hope the next guy responds the same way Kenseth did.

Oh yeah -- and this Steve Letarte guy needs to go. Either switch to decaf or find another job that doesn't involve microphones.

Great! :thu:

That was a hard hit Kenseth put on Logano (I saw it on replay too, but caught the last few laps, can't believe I found myself pulling for Gordon!). Logano and Keselowski always seem to be getting somebody mad at them.

I like Kenseth - he is from the Mark Martin school, he'll never touch you, like "Little E".

I am with you on the state of Cup Racing. My main peeves are that a lot of the guys are jerks - look at Edwards he almost killed Keselowski at Talladega on purpose (although I know there was history there too!). It's too Corporate now.

NASCAR is too much puppeteer. I am so sick and tired of GWC finishes! More often than not!

I was big into it in the '90's and most of the oughts. My older brother pitted Rudd from '91 until about '99 I think. He started with Ernie in '88 I think in the Kroger car. I liked Ernie. My sister-in-law worked hospitality for Petty, so I was lucky. I met all those guys, hot pit passes, benefit events, all kinds of stuff all over the country. We loved it. Charlotte, Phoenix, Sears, Watkins, Bristol, Darlington, Pocono countless times, Daytona, Richmond. My sister-in-law got me comped into Petty Racing Experience at Charlotte! THAT was awesome - I didn't want to get out of the car! I told my wife a couple more hours and I could be competitive and her response was "YEAH SURE!". She was right of course.

We had a great time and we loved racing. Now - not so much.

Sorry for the long post, I miss racing but now it is not on the radar screen. Last race I went to was Pocono, maybe 2008 I think Kahne won, Pablo caught on fire and there was a local rock band playing before the race and I thought "what a gig". Good hours playing rock to race fans pumped for NASCAR!

My first race was at Pocono and I just got back from Sweden the day before and I thought wow, talk about AMERICAN!

Hey man, thanks for triggering my trip down Memory Lane!

Regards,

Joe

Still waiting for them to turn Right.
They do sometimes at the only Cup events I can be bothered to watch - Riverside Sonoma and the Glen. But I don't watch those either. I used to watch it when I was a kid in the 70s. Those were some awesome years with the King, the Alabama Gang, David Pearson, etc.

I don't even know what's going on anymore with "The Chase." It sounds like to even race at the end you have to qualify or something. last I heard, everyone raced all the races but only some guys could win the whole thing based on points before The Chase started.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Lol! Yea they turned into 200mph billboards and the point system ect. is bs. I don't understand it either. Lol!

Qualifying is is weird also! I grew up around dirt tracks my father was a mechanic on a pit crew. All these rules they got nowadays is crazy. I remember when the number 3 car would pass them on the grass to win! I'm sure these days they would get flagged.

"A good mix is subjective to one's cilia." http://hitnmiss.yolasite.com

Miss Logano had that coming in spades. Couldn't pass Kenseth in that previous race so he spun him instead. Hey, they booed Earnhardt Sr. when he did it to Terry Labonte at a Bristol night race many years ago, so there's plenty of precedent for NOT liking that sort of behavior.

Plus, they were going WAY faster at Kansas (190+) when Logano spun Kenseth, so in many ways that was way more dangerous. And he took Kenseth out of Championship contention. Just because you CAN spin someone, doesn't mean you SHOULD spin them.

So, there's only so much a nice guy like Kenseth can take. And apparently we found out just how much that is. Logano got what he had coming, and if he's going to continue his clown act, he's going to need to learn how to fight because his pit crew won't always be there to keep the real men from mussing his make-up.

Muzikteechur is Lonnie, in Kittery, Maine.

HS music teacher: Concert Band, Marching Band, Jazz Band, Chorus, Music Theory, AP Music Theory, History of Rock, Musical Theatre, Piano, Guitar, Drama.

As others have pointed out, there are several races each year where they are on road courses. Also, weird stuff can happen around 180 mph in a race car when you're tight into a corner with cars running so close you could easily reach out the window and touch them. Like having to turn the wheel RIGHT to go LEFT because your back tires are on the wooly edge of their grip and the car in front of you is taking all the downforce off your front end.

A few years ago they had some top X-Games guy - one of these daredevils who rides a bicycle in a half-pipe, doing flips and risking a broken neck with every trick. So they asked him: "Are NASCAR drives athletes?" to which he replied: "Well, they need a certain skill set, but no, they're not really athletes. You don't need to be an athlete to drive a car."

So, then he goes for a ride around the track with Tony Stewart in a regular production car, but something with a bit of muscle like a Camaro or Mustang. Within a half lap this kid is OUT OF HIS MIND with fear. Stewart's coming off the turns full throttle, and the car rides out to within inches of the outside wall and the x-games guy is trying to climb into Tony's lap to get away from the wall.

So, it goes on like this for a few laps, then they interview the x-games guy again and ask him the same question: "Are NASCAR drivers athletes?" to which he replies: "They [bLEEP BLEEP BLEEP BLEEPING] sure are! That many is CRAZY!"

When you don't know the back story on the drivers, or even who the drivers are, it can seem a bit boring. 180 mph doesn't look that fast from a camera posted a half mile away. Kenseth putting Logano into the wall would just seem like a shopping cart incident if you didn't know that Logano did the same to Kenseth at Kansas a few weeks ago, taking him out of Championship contention, and now Logano must win one of the next two races in order to vie with three other drivers for the overall championship at Homestead Raceway in Florida in three weeks.

Hey, some folks watch golf or curling. I watch racing.

HS music teacher: Concert Band, Marching Band, Jazz Band, Chorus, Music Theory, AP Music Theory, History of Rock, Musical Theatre, Piano, Guitar, Drama.

Rhode Island, New Jersey, Illinois, Maine. You guys are pretty far north of the Mason-Dixon line for NASCAR aren't you? Just sayin' ;)

NASCAR stopped being a southern sport when the officials started canceling contracts with tracks that had hosted races for years so they could schedule races in the big northern and western cities.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Last race I went to was Pocono, maybe 2008 I think Kahne won, Pablo caught on fire and there was a local rock band playing before the race and I thought "what a gig". Good hours playing rock to race fans pumped for NASCAR!

The country-rock band that I'm in does an annual gig at a NASCAR race at the New Hampshire Motor Speedway, every September. We are sponsored by F.W. Webb. The last one we did a couple months ago put us inside the speedway (on a mezzanine embedded in the stands, where there's also a bar) - instead of outside the facility where people are buying tickets and entering, like we did in the past. And yes, we also play in between the racing events (cars are too loud to play during the race). Great fun!

Kurzweil PC3, Yamaha MOX8, Alesis Ion, Kawai K3M

Miss Logano had that coming in spades. Couldn't pass Kenseth in that previous race so he spun him instead. Hey, they booed Earnhardt Sr. when he did it to Terry Labonte at a Bristol night race many years ago, so there's plenty of precedent for NOT liking that sort of behavior.

Plus, they were going WAY faster at Kansas (190+) when Logano spun Kenseth, so in many ways that was way more dangerous. And he took Kenseth out of Championship contention. Just because you CAN spin someone, doesn't mean you SHOULD spin them.

So, there's only so much a nice guy like Kenseth can take. And apparently we found out just how much that is. Logano got what he had coming, and if he's going to continue his clown act, he's going to need to learn how to fight because his pit crew won't always be there to keep the real men from mussing his make-up.

Well said, Lonnie!

So, then he goes for a ride around the track with Tony Stewart...

Before I did the Petty Experience at Charlotte, I did a ride along with some young kid driver. Probably an ARCA driver. I can tell you that it is really hard on your body. The turns are like roller coaster turns. You don't go into the turn so much as you HIT the turn BAM! I can't imagine doing that for 2 hours, but those guys are used to it.

i guess this is even more more off topic , but it's 2015 , shouldn't

nascar be going away ?

Going away where? These are cutting edge race cars, fuel-injected all-aluminum 5.7L V8's, with state-of-the-art suspension, gearing, braking, electronics, cooling, and construction. The team is loaded with engineering degrees, and drivers train for years for their big break. NASCAR generates roughly 3 BILLION each year in revenue, and the TV contract alone is worth $473 Million dollars. Nearly every driver is a millionaire.

On a Global Scale, Motorsports is BIG BUSINESS, with too many types and series to list here.

22 guys crushing each other over a bit of (under inflated) pigskin seems a bit archaic, too, but I hope Football isn't "going away" anytime soon, either!

i guess this is even more more off topic , but it's 2015 , shouldn't

nascar be going away ?

Going away where? These are cutting edge race cars, fuel-injected all-aluminum 5.7L V8's, with state-of-the-art suspension, gearing, braking, electronics, cooling, and construction. The team is loaded with engineering degrees, and drivers train for years for their big break. NASCAR generates roughly 3 BILLION each year in revenue, and the TV contract alone is worth $473 Million dollars. Nearly every driver is a millionaire.

On a Global Scale, Motorsports is BIG BUSINESS, with too many types and series to list here.

22 guys crushing each other over a bit of (under inflated) pigskin seems a bit archaic, too, but I hope Football isn't "going away" anytime soon, either!

yep.....and when these guys get in these protracted dustups with each other it becomes obvious that they're basically 12 year olds. Thing is they're RICH as hell 12 year olds at the wheel of a high speed hunk of metal......

Soooo .... All those stories about rage drivers in LA and other places, they are all rich as hell 12 year olds? I drive past an elementary school every morning on the way to work. 12 year olds have nothing on parents weaving through traffic on a busy 2 lane road while trying to rush their kids to school. :sick:

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Love the drags too, there are such wicked machines out there these days. As someone said somewhere above , you have to be a millionaire to be seriously competitive in almost any motor racing - with the skills/talents to go with it of course.

Brett

I watch Nascar, F1, RedBull AirRacing and MotoGP. On the edge of giving up on Nascar though, the more it turns into professional wrestling.

Extremely disappointed every summer that MotoGP left Monterey!

BTW, Sports threads are not OT here. The description of this place in the list of forums says,

The official online community of Keyboard Magazine. Synths, pianos, software, analog, digital, modeling, virtual instruments, programming tips...this is the place on the web for discussions, debates, opinions and assistance...and the occasional sports thread...

Just FYI. Carry on. :thu:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Cool, Formula 1 thread for 2016, been to all but one of the F1's in Melbourne. Including the year the F1 12 year old (Hamilton) got arrested for doing burnouts on a public street after Friday practice. MB took his loaner AMG away from him and have given him chauffeur/minder since.

Interesting folk follow F1 round the world, we were having a drink one Thursday night in a bar back in the '90's and in walked George Harrison who travelled with Eddie Jordan. My wife has George's autograph as a memento.

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

BTW, Sports threads are not OT here. The description of this place in the list of forums says,

The official online community of Keyboard Magazine. Synths, pianos, software, analog, digital, modeling, virtual instruments, programming tips...this is the place on the web for discussions, debates, opinions and assistance...and the occasional sports thread...

Just FYI. Carry on. :thu:

:) Just to move the topic a little closer to kb's, Elton gave the post race interviews a couple of weeks ago, for F1! :cool:

Archived