Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Way, way off topic - Matt Kenseth & NASCAR

Danny Linguini

Been a Cup fan a long time .,, finally watched it I agree quite a move good for Matt. Damm my recording shut off early not sure what I was thinking and so I missed the end and what could be Jeff Gordon's last win ever. Cup is no longer my favorite it's always been F1 and Indy then Cup, plus love NHRA.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i guess this is even more more off topic , but it's 2015 , shouldn't

nascar be going away ?

You could almost say that. Both Indy and NASCAR race weekly to many empty seats which are getting emptier every year. Daytona alone has removed around 40k or more seats that used to be totally filled.

Ha yea and Elton headlined an F1 Austin concert ! With the rain and competing Mexico City race they lost their shirts this year
I just heard yesterday that the state of Texas has recalculated the "value" of the F1 race in Austin. Previously, they were giving them $25million/year but the new calculation puts it at around $19.5mil/year. According to the track owners, this isn't enough for them to hold the race because of the sanctioning fee they have to pay Bernie. They would need to sell something like 30,000 more tickets to make up the difference. In the words of the promoter, "if we could have sold 30,000 more tickets, we would have done so already."

IOW, we could have seen the last F1 race in Austin...

http://www.mystatesman.com/news/news/state-regional/why-the-future-of-austins-f1-race-is-in-doubt/npKxM/

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

It costs Melbourne about $80 million a year to stage the F1. Been paying this since 1995 and have renewed through to 2022 or therabouts. Every year the State of Victoria who pay the bill get caned by those who only see one side of the coin. Attendance at this 4 day event (there are a lot of support races as well including three races for our road track version of NASCAR) is around 325,000 each year.

Taking into account the global TV exposure and tourism payoff the economic benefit to the State is estimated at about $1 billion. Puts the direct cost into perspective. That said F1 has always struggled in the US, but Montreal is a permanent fixture on the Calendar and a track that usually produces some excellent racing.

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

Archived