Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

WAY OT: Jump

Joe Muscara

I'm trying to decide which version of this tune is worse, the classic Greensboro "pitch" train wreck, or the hideous way DLR is now singing the tune on the upcoming live album.

I think they're both freakin' hilarious. :roll:

[video:youtube]

And to reiterate, I'm a big VH fan, or at least I was. I still like the studio records...

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't know. It a hard choice. I still love watching and listening to Eddie plow through the band playing a half step off pitch.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Thanks for posting. Someone sent me the the Greensboro one a while back and I laughed the whole way through. I had forgotten about it. It is hilarious.

Good video to have on hand to listen to after having a less than perfect night on stage. Good reminder it can always be worse :-)

I think part of the reason they didn't always take a keyboard player out with them is that no keyboard player wants to learn to play this song right.

That's actually a very good point, Steve. I've rarely heard any cover band's keys player do the song properly, except for one.

Ya know, when a band actually plays it right, it sounds great, and is fun to listen to.

I know I've become jaded about it, though, after being inundated by the horrific attempts of wankery in keyboard departments of music stores.

David

Gig Rig:Roland Fantom 08 | Roland Jupiter 80

Had the pleasure of seeing the first half of this version of Jump live, the rest I heard on my way out to the car. Aerosmith were on the same bill and blew EVH away.

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

Wow, the latest album is dreadful. Lot of people lose range, but it's almost like he doesn't know how to sing anymore. Such a horrible choice of how to approach the tune. And Eddie certainly can't sing like he used to either. I think Michael Anthony being booted was a real tragedy. His energy, playing and vocals really cemented the band. But 30 years of smoking takes its toll for both Eddie and Dave.

To hear VH in their prime, check out their performance at the US Fest from 1983. They were unreal. The TOP of their game. The whole concert is on YouTube, but just this tune you can see how on they were

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOmHNsthoeo

My how the mighty fall.

I think part of the reason they didn't always take a keyboard player out with them is that no keyboard player wants to learn to play this song right.

That's actually a very good point, Steve. I've rarely heard any cover band's keys player do the song properly, except for one.

Ya know, when a band actually plays it right, it sounds great, and is fun to listen to.

I know I've become jaded about it, though, after being inundated by the horrific attempts of wankery in keyboard departments of music stores.

Interesting, not entirely sure if you guys are running with a joke or not ; )

This has me recalling the keyboard department sign that said something like, "$20 fine if caught playing 'Jump." Additional $50 fine if caught playing it wrong."

Our band does a very faithful version and it's my favourite track eeeeeeeever!!! My two cents!!!!!! ( ducks down!!)
Korg kronos, casio px5s, studiologic sl 88 studio, korg m50,korg triton, yamaha moxf6, hammond xk1, korg sp200

Wow, the latest album is dreadful. Lot of people lose range, but it's almost like he doesn't know how to sing anymore. Such a horrible choice of how to approach the tune. And Eddie certainly can't sing like he used to either. .

Most of the vocalists I used to look up to in my youth have lost it. Ian Anderson is woeful now, Ian Gillian can't hit the high notes, Glen Hughes Roger Daltrey and Robert Plant have more off days than good days.

The only ones that can still cut it (off the top of my head) are Bruce Dickinson, Brian Johnson, and the incomparable Paul Rodgers.

SSM

Occasionally, do something nice for a total stranger. They'll wonder what the hell is going on!

THE Bruce Dickinson?

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

This has me recalling the keyboard department sign that said something like, "$20 fine if caught playing 'Jump." Additional $50 fine if caught playing it wrong."

And "And an additional $100.00 fine if caught playing it right."?

..Joe

Setup: Korg Kronos 61, Roland XV-88, Korg Triton-Rack, Motif-Rack, Korg N1r, Alesis QSR, Roland M-GS64 Yamaha KX-88, KX76, Roland Super-JX, E-Mu Longboard 61, Kawai K1II, Kawai K4.

THE Bruce Dickinson?

Yeah, that's the one. Iron Maiden vocalist, part time commercial jet pilot, and all round nice guy. Currently recovering from cancer treatment I believe.

SSM

Occasionally, do something nice for a total stranger. They'll wonder what the hell is going on!

And to think that 20 years ago I could play that song note for note using the sawtooth wave in my Ensoniq SD1.

listening to Eddie plow through the band playing a half step off pitch.

more like a step and a half ... he must have been on some good sh*t .....

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

Well smoking cigarettes has done a lot of it for these guys believe it or not. It affects range believe it or not, I have seen it in my work. Happened to Eddie Kendricks also in fact he died of throat cancer.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

Kip Winger still sings incredible. Saw him w Winger Sat night. Too bad about the dumb hair band image they got saddled with, hair band bozos like the Bullet Boys or Poison could not possibly pull off a Prog like song like Tin Soldier on their new album.

This one has been posted before

interesting take on both songs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-kF4r08y5k

That sounds ever-so-slightly like a suicide song in that context.

Haha very true!

About VH. I can understand your voice will not work anymore at a certain age. Could be. But why is Eddie playing that bad?(and the rest of the band for that matter....)

Rudy

Do you mean the Greensboro vid? Some people claimed it was the synth tracks (sample rate issue). Most say it was EVH playing with the wrong guitar, or the right guitar tuned wrong because of a tech. At any rate, what EVH DIDN'T do was switch guitars or find the pitch or stop and start again, and thank god for that, because now we get that hilaristerical video out of it.

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

Dave is just bizarre at this point. Sounded good to me in Paso Robles. It's not that he's lost his voice like Coverdale and Don Dokken. It's the way he's butchering the songs , singing them wrong , oversinging, singing out of time, singing too high, adding too much. That's the problem. And last time I checked, Jump's key has been raised. Which proves my point. That makes no sense to me, the song isn't the hardest song ever to sing but it's high enough so why raise the key? Springsteen does that too sometimes.

Archived