Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

WAY OT: Jump

Joe Muscara

The only ones that can still cut it (off the top of my head) are Bruce Dickinson, Brian Johnson, and the incomparable Paul Rodgers.

Saw Paul Rodgers live 2 years ago and he was phenomenal!

I was blown away. What a voice!!!

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Arthur Schopenhauer

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think a lot of the good artists have a lot in their mind when they do yet another version of songs. Probably at some point it is temping to screw open the Chorus Modulation Depth to defeat the Pitch Mangler, and to use their voice's Phaser Unit to make a at least a little fun through the PA audio mangler stages.

T.

Dave is just bizarre at this point. Sounded good to me in Paso Robles. It's not that he's lost his voice like Coverdale and Don Dokken. It's the way he's butchering the songs , singing them wrong , oversinging, singing out of time, singing too high, adding too much. That's the problem. And last time I checked, Jump's key has been raised. Which proves my point. That makes no sense to me, the song isn't the hardest song ever to sing but it's high enough so why raise the key? Springsteen does that too sometimes.

But Bruce doesn't butcher stuff like that. He has re-keyed stuff do to age though.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

I think Michael Anthony being booted was a real tragedy. His energy, playing and vocals really cemented the band.

Ditto.

Sundown

Working on: The Jupiter Bluff; Driven Away

Main axes: Kawai MP11 and Kurz PC361

DAW Platform: Cubase

Eh, time and tide wait for no man. I'm sure given the experience and wisdom on this forum (as well as the immature yet strangely witty commentary) that we all know you can never really go back. The voice seems to go first, Diamond Dave is not sounding too good - but he was ALWAYS weird as puck. I cringe at the idea of hearing Robert Plant do Zeppelin these days as well. God bless Freddy Mercury and that we can remember him sounding his best forever.

Alex and Eddie still click like they did when they were kids. And if I could tour with my son or younger brother and be the Partridge Family and people would come... heck, yeah. I'd take it on the road a few more times as well.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Dave is just bizarre at this point.

Understatement of the year....

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XWorugbF9g

I honestly cannot fathom how a band comes out to play one and only one song, and the most critical prominent instrument in the song is bactracked. Seriously, your entire catalog and you got the equivalent of a lip synch presentation.

The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

I honestly cannot fathom how a band comes out to play one and only one song, and the most critical prominent instrument in the song is bactracked. Seriously, your entire catalog and you got the equivalent of a lip synch presentation.

It's the Ellen Degeneres show. They picked the right tune for the right audience. No one in that show's demographic cares if the synth is canned or could tell you the drummer is playing to a click.

They also really liked this:

[video:youtube]

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

theres a difference between a metronome, and a pre-recorded performance. i'm sure Ellen fans don't care, but this is the Keyboard Corner.

I saw VH live way back, the first Sammy tour. Eddie was playing keys on that tour, so did Anthony.

i'm sick of bands that pre-record just the keys. A guitar rock band that added some studio accompany string tracks on a song or two, then go on tour and want that fill, i get that. But I know a Cure band that has the keys tracked for their entire set. because, you know, don't need a keyboardist for the Cure.

then again, they asked me to play with them, and I turned it down.

The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

I saw Plant and his band on Axe or some cable net channel a year or two ago. sorta made me sad. I'd rather go see Led Zepagain tribute and remember it in its infinite glory.

Zep 78 was the best concert of my life.

THE Bruce Dickinson?

Yeah, that's the one. Iron Maiden vocalist, part time commercial jet pilot, and all round nice guy. Currently recovering from cancer treatment I believe.

SSM

Yep. They removed a node from his tongue, actually. Recovering well, should be releasing a new album and embarking on a tour sometime this year.

Dave was actually more tolerable IMNSHO in this clip than the one they put on the album and that I started the thread with.

You have to admit, the Ellen audience is a target-rich environment for ol' Diamond Dave...

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I don't know what you people mean by DLR losing his voice. Here's a clip from 1984 where he sings IMO the same.

Van Halen plays the synths here, substituting an improv synth solo in place of the guitar solo.

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lSMa6ZK6cs

Life is subtractive.
Genres: Jazz, funk, pop, Christian worship, BebHop
Wishlist: 80s-ish (synth)pop, symph pop, prog rock, fusion, musical theatre
Gear: NS2 + JUNO-G. KingKORG. SP6 at church.

I don't know what you people mean by DLR losing his voice. Here's a clip from 1984 where he sings IMO the same.

Van Halen plays the synths here, substituting an improv synth solo in place of the guitar solo.

It's cool to see Eddie play the synth parts live. And there's a tip for all of us in there. If you want people to pay attention to the keyboard player, you have to go shirtless! :laugh:

While I do think Dave has lost large aspects of his voice, you're right about the way he sings this tune. It's a mess. It reminded me of when his second solo album, "Skyscraper" came out. That thing was clearly overdub city. Based on that and this version of Jump from the year the album came out, he's been "faking it" in the studio versions for a while. Not that I have a huge problem with that, but when that means you can't cut it live, you might embarrass yourself.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lSMa6ZK6cs

:D Looks like a skinned rabbit on the keyboard , - if you are going to go shirtless - look GOOD. What a junk recording , like it was filmed with a potatoe.

Brett

Wow, the latest album is dreadful. Lot of people lose range, but it's almost like he doesn't know how to sing anymore. Such a horrible choice of how to approach the tune. And Eddie certainly can't sing like he used to either. I think Michael Anthony being booted was a real tragedy. His energy, playing and vocals really cemented the band. But 30 years of smoking takes its toll for both Eddie and Dave.

My how the mighty fall.

Smoking Cigarettes and/or Pot. Yep, destroys your voice. It affects some people more than others, but no one can convince me that it doesn't ruin your voice. Some other examples are Dionne Warwick and even old blue eyes.

Cigarette smoking had a terrible affect on my voice. So, back in the Seventies I had to make a decision: Smoke or Sing. I had decided to go on the road as a solo piano player through an Agent that had me on the Hotel Circuit playing small Hotel Bar Lounges. Singing six nights a week and smoking was not going to work. So I quit smoking, cold Turkey. Took some voice lessons and off I went. I did that gig for about 3 years until I got sick of traveling. That meant using a van to carry clothes and personal stuff and tow a trailer with all my gear.

It was a fun gig for awhile, but it got old.

I don't smoke cigarettes, pot, or chew tobacco anymore, I haven't touched the stuff in decades. I do believe that is part of the reason I am still above ground at age 67. I can still sing.

Cheers!

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Archived