Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Your Latest Purchase (music related)

Justin Havu

1 hour ago, Dave Bryce said:

After years of wanting one, I finally bought a talk box.
image.jpeg.9d63584f01305ad2700f3fd750103dd1.jpeg

Way too much fun. :rocker:

dB

I had one years ago, the best wah by far! I think mine was a Heil, it's been decades. 

Plus, nobody wants to borrow it because saliva.... 🤣

• Like 1
It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Today, I bought Newfangled Invigorate. I get the cross grade deal because I own some Eventide / Newfangled plugins already. 

This is a fun one, the GUI is easy to use and it allows an individual selection of Compression, Limiter and Overdrive with complete controls for each one plus infinite combinations of Compression/Limiting or Limiting/Overdrive. Great on individual tracks or the Master bus, a new favorite of mine because it sounds great. 

Eventide / Newfangled continues to release these sorts of combination plugins that allow me to reduce the total number of plugins I use AND add features I did not have before, love their plugins! 

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

On 11/20/2022 at 8:22 PM, kaptainkeys said:

Finally got myself a workstation after months of wanting one, but (as per usual) life and other commitments got in the way first.  I found a great deal on a Kurzweil PC4 on Reverb that I just couldn't pass up, hopefully it'll be here before the end of the week so that I can have some time to mess around with it over the holiday weekend.  All in all, I'm super excited!

Just came in today, and I am quite enamored!

• Like 1

Instruments: Walters Grand Console Upright Piano circa 1950 something, Kurzweil PC4-88, Ibanez TMB-100
Studio Gear: Audient EVO16, JBL 305P MKII monitors, assorted microphones, Reaper

Cherry Audio's GX-80. I've had it for just a week and I'm still doing a vintage Ren & Stimpy happy dance over it. I'm scratching the hell out of that ancient CS-80 itch.  One impression: part of what we think of as 'that Vangelis sound' is simply what almost anyone would do with it because of its unusual design. It has a unique area where its at its distinctive best, like a French horn. Being Vangelis helps immensely, of course. The trick will be applying the best of the instrument without sounding derivative. Its a creamy beast.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

"Let there be dancing in the streets,
   drinking in the saloons and
    necking in the parlors! Play, Don!"
       ~ Groucho Marx    

On 11/26/2022 at 7:46 PM, Dave Bryce said:

After years of wanting one, I finally bought a talk box.
image.jpeg.9d63584f01305ad2700f3fd750103dd1.jpeg

Way too much fun. :rocker:

dB

Peter Frampton tribute band ready to go.

• Haha 2

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Nord Stage 4 HA73, Nord Wave 2, Korg Nautilus 73, Viscount Legend Live, Lots of Mainstage/VST Libraries

Not very glamorous, but I stocked up on the AA batteries for my wife's and my IEMs and her wireless mic.

AABatteries.jpg

• Like 1
  • Cool 2

Live: Yamaha S70XS (#1); Roland Jupiter-80; Mackie 1202VLZ4; IEMs or Traynor K4

Home: Hammond SK Pro 73; Moog Minimoog Voyager Electric Blue; Yamaha S70XS (#2); Wurlitzer 200A

16 hours ago, jeffinpghpa said:

Upgraded Arturia V-Collection 8 to V9 for $99 Black Friday.  No brainer.  Arturia can take my money whenever they want.

I did that deal as well, mainly for the Prophets and CS80 V4.  Everything new (as well as the OP-X and SQ80) is way more CPU-hungry than the previous versions.  Augmented synths are totally unusable for me.

Hardware

Yamaha DX7, PSR-530, MX61/Korg Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1/Roland VR-760/Hydrasynth Deluxe/

Behringer DeepMind12, Model D, Odyssey, 2600/Arturia Keylab MKII 61

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 5/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX

1 hour ago, bill5 said:

Oh man that's on my someday list. You can hook them up to keyboards right?

Oh, you betcha.  You can plug pretty much anything with an audio output jack into one.

See brother Shaun Martin and his MiniMoog below.

dB

• Like 1

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

It's gonna be a very Merry Christmas around my house this year:

• ASM Hydrasynth Deluxe
  • Arturia V Collection 9 upgrade
  • u-He Zebra Legacy
  • Cherry Audio Stacks 3 (to grab GX-80 + all I didn't already have)
  • Upgraded Korg Collection to most recent version
  • Cinescape

I should be quite busy this coming year! Happy Holidays Everyone!

Hardware:
Yamaha
: MODX7 | Korg: Kronos 88, Wavestate | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe | Roland: Jupiter-Xm, Cloud Pro, TD-9K V-Drums | Alesis: StrikePad Pro|
Behringer: Crave, Poly D, XR-18, RX1602 | CPS: SpaceStation SSv2 | 
Controllers: ROLI RISE 49 | Arturia KeyLab Essentials 88, KeyLab 61, MiniLab | M-Audio KeyStation 88 & 49 | Akai EWI USB |
Novation LaunchPad Mini, |
Guitars & Such: Line 6 Variax, Helix LT, POD X3 Live, Martin Acoustic, DG Strat Copy, LP Sunburst Copy, Natural Tele Copy|
Squier Precision 5-String Bass | Mandolin | Banjo | Ukulele

Software:
Recording
: MacBook Pro | Mac Mini | Logic Pro X | Mainstage | Cubase Pro 12 | Ableton Live 11 | Monitors: M-Audio BX8 | Presonus Eris 3.5BT Monitors | Slate Digital VSX Headphones & ML-1 Mic | Behringer XR-18 & RX1602 Mixers | Beyerdynamics DT-770 & DT-240
Arturia: V-Collection 9 | Native Instruments: Komplete 1 Standard | Spectrasonics: Omnisphere 2, Keyscape, Trilian | Korg: Legacy Collection 4 | Roland: Cloud Pro | GForce: Most all of their plugins | u-he: Diva, Hive 2, Repro, Zebra Legacy | AAS: Most of their VSTs |
IK Multimedia: SampleTank 4 Max, Sonik Synth, MODO Drums & Bass | Cherry Audio: Most of their VSTs |

20 minutes ago, Michael Wright said:

Nothing at all glamorous, except everything in the studio runs off of the UPS. New batteries.

IMG_6266.thumb.jpg.5bdd30d80ff18e08f33b1bcffdc5f085.jpg

That's more convenient than when I was a SysAdmin for an ISP and our small server room had two of the refrigerator sized APC units.   I think each one had fourteen airplane batteries in dam those things weighed a lot.   Once a year we had a APC tech come test the units, the batteries,  replace whatever needed replacement.  PIA but when the power would go out we sure glad we had them.    We only had the APC's to keep the power going until our diesel generator kicked in. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Docbop said:

We only had the APC's to keep the power going until our diesel generator kicked in. 

My favo(u)rite story about why testing is fallible:

A company regularly tested their UPS services: battery backup for a few minutes to cover the time for the diesel genny to start up. Every time, they would turn off mains power to the server room, the UPS would switch to battery, the fuel pumps would start pumping diesel to the generator, which would generate electricity, and the UPS would switch back to that.

Then they had a real power blackout, not a test. The UPS switched to battery, the fuel pumps ... didn't start

They had wired the fuel pumps to the mains side, not the UPS side, of the supply. Of course it worked during tests.

Cheers, Mike.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, stoken6 said:

My favo(u)rite story about why testing is fallible:

A company regularly tested their UPS services: battery backup for a few minutes to cover the time for the diesel genny to start up. Every time, they would turn off mains power to the server room, the UPS would switch to battery, the fuel pumps would start pumping diesel to the generator, which would generate electricity, and the UPS would switch back to that.

Then they had a real power blackout, not a test. The UPS switched to battery, the fuel pumps ... didn't start

They had wired the fuel pumps to the mains side, not the UPS side, of the supply. Of course it worked during tests.

Cheers, Mike.

When designing new systems we'd ask the director of a department wanting a new system the Murphy's Law questions.... How many levels of Murphy do you want protection from and how many can you afford?     Amazing how when they see the price they are willing to risk more and more.

2x SSL SiX 500-series module.

Regulars will know that I've been jonesing for a while. Just took another quick peek and Long & McQuade had 'em for $409, $250 off list. The time had obviously come. Unfortunately, there's no stock anywhere in the country, so I'm just waiting to see when I get to pay the balance past the deposit. The plan, as it has been, is to incorporate these into a tidy 4u rack serving both stage and studio for a stereo/dual mono config of sonic goodness.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

IK Multimedia UNO Synth Pro, analog paraphonic synth.

https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/unosynthpro/index.php?p=info

Got a good deal on Amazon: € 412 incl. shipping (it's €610 on IK Multimedia website)

Just played a little yesterday night: I like the sound, very enjoyable the keybed (thanks God it has aftertouch!!!). Heavy and sturdy aluminum case. 5 pin MIDI plugs. Very easy to tweak despite the controls matrix (and I'm really not a synth guy).

I still haven't tried the arpeggiator... 

Looks like a great synth with quite a number of hidden gems...

UNO-Synth_PRO.png

• Like 2

My band: www.tupamaros.it
Our music:

Galanti Accordion + Voicelive Play | Roland FA-07 | GSI Gemini Rack | MIDI Drawbars controller (custom made) | IK Multimedia UNO Synth Pro | Roland VR-09 

Cherry Audio Synth Stack 3 bundle. 

Also bit the bullet and got a couple more subscriptions:

- UVI Sonic Pass subscription to try that stuff out.  Really like the Vintage Vault stuff as well as the KeySuite.

- PreSonus Sphere.  

Hardware

Yamaha DX7, PSR-530, MX61/Korg Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1/Roland VR-760/Hydrasynth Deluxe/

Behringer DeepMind12, Model D, Odyssey, 2600/Arturia Keylab MKII 61

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 5/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX

• 2 weeks later...