Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Thoughts on Signature Lines - Listing Gear?

CEB

Well that was the problem 9 years or so over at Harmony-Central. It became so divided between guys that gigged out and guys that were "owners". So much so that most old school guys gigging/sweating it out in the clubs and venues eventually migrated over here. With all the new users I wonder if this place will end up that way?

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Logic Pro Help forum requires users to list the computer, OS and version of Logic they use in their sig files to help with trouble-shooting, it's convenient because then you don't have to remember to fill in the info when you ask a question.

I have a lot of gear, some of it is pretty cool, and some of it isn't particularly. Some of it gets used on gigs, some of it gets used in my studio, and some if it is stored in my garage. A sig file listing all of it would be kind of long and pointless, but, then again, most of my posts are already anyway.

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

A sig file listing all of it would be kind of long and pointless, but, then again, most of my posts are already anyway.

Not true! Your reviews of new music are much appreciated, by me at least, and I'm sure by others.

It never occurred to me that by listing gear I was putting myself in a category of contemptuous people. It still doesn't.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

I know far too many 'players' that are actually 'owners' that couldn't find their way past the presets of the gear they own.

Do I know you Sven??

Guilty as charged. Although I do go a little past the presets. I've only ever gigged at small local clubs, an intermediate player. I've been tempted to list my gear but for me it feels too much like bragging. I have/have had all the major classics, CP70, Hammond, Rhodes, etc. My current rig is a PX5s, XK1c, SSv3, all thanks to you guys! I have them because I love the way they sound. Now if only I could live up to them (gonna start lessons, again, @55). And I'm single again, so when the next best thing comes along, I'll probably get it.

To CEB's original point, I agree. It does complicate searching, another reason why I don't list gear.

sparetime

To CEB's original point, I agree. It does complicate searching, another reason why I don't list gear.

It's not perfect, but if you use the internal search and select the "in subject" radio button it should not include sigs in the search. I have had some varied results using this, but it is another option to try if you are getting a lot of sigs in your SERPs.

With a 200 character max on sigs there is an automatic limit on how much gear anyone can list. Just changed the font size on my sig - love the trial and error game finding a supported smaller font size. works for anyone interested.

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

I don't get the search issue. I just searched 'mainstage site:forums.musicplayer.com' browsed the first 4 pages and all that comes up are posts, with one sig from a post back in 2010. Maybe the bots have got smarter at ignoring sigs.

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

I don't get the search issue. I just searched 'mainstage site:forums.musicplayer.com' browsed the first 4 pages and all that comes up are posts, with one sig from a post back in 2010. Maybe the bots have got smarter at ignoring sigs.

Try 'mainstage synthmaster site:forums.musicplayer.com'

I'm not trying to "advertise" what I have, just hopefully provide a basis for trust when I post about the gear. On that basis, I've reduced the point size of my sig, rather than remove it.

Yamaha: Motif XF6 and XS6, A3000V2, A4000, YS200 | Korg: T3EX, 05R/W | Fender Chroma Polaris | Roland U-220 | Etc.

Doesn't Google or the HTML spec itself provide a way to mark a HTML element as not to be indexed? Unfortunately not. See here

Life is subtractive.
Genres: Jazz, funk, pop, Christian worship, BebHop
Wishlist: 80s-ish (synth)pop, symph pop, prog rock, fusion, musical theatre
Gear: NS2 + JUNO-G. KingKORG. SP6 at church.

Try 'mainstage synthmaster site:forums.musicplayer.com'

Anyone who searches that string would be well pleased with results :)

The 8pt sig makes for a much more elegant forum.

Agreed. Looks very nice.

I always like seeing gear in sigs. I have been able to get some good advice when asking someone directly who owns the piece of gear I need help with. Likewise, I've been asked directly when someone sees a piece of gear in my sig line that they need help with.

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

Agreed. Looks very nice.

I always like seeing gear in sigs. I have been able to get some good advice when asking someone directly who owns the piece of gear I need help with. Likewise, I've been asked directly when someone sees a piece of gear in my sig line that they need help with.

Agree with all the above...I got nothing much down there to brag about spending a lot on anyway! How does one shrink the signature? I don't see any font options for it..at least on "My Stuff/Profile."

Hammonds:1959 M3,1961 A-101,Vent, 2 Leslies,VB3/Axiom,

Casio WK-7500,Yamaha P50m Module/DGX-300

Gig rig:Casio PX-5S/Roland VR-09/Spacestation V3

http://www.petty-larceny-band.com

How does one shrink the signature? I don't see any font options for it..at least on "My Stuff/Profile."

(left square bracket)size:8pt(right square bracket) then insert your list, and end it with (left square bracket) /size (right square bracket)

Here for the gear.

:thu:

here a screen grab of how I did my sig, including the color.

If you go to your Profile Edit page and click on the UBB Code, it will open up the posting FAQ. About half way down you'll see an entry about UBB code. Open that ans it will show you the various codes. As far as size, I have found 8pt is the smallest it allows, and 20 pt is the largest.

When using UBB code, each character you type in the sig box, including the code, counts against your 200 character total.

Eg. if you have a 200 character sig line, you cant add UBB code to it.

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh58/escaperocks1/ubb_zpsqxzdhb3o.png

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

I saw several gear lists when I first found this place several years ago and thought it kind of neat to see what tools are used. 'Thought I'd like to share where I'm coming from as a keyboard player (stuck in the 80's and 90's for the most part). Most of my gear is right at that age where it is both too old and not old enough to be worth much. But I love my rig and the noise that can be coaxed and crafted with it. My list is not definitive, but shows the gear used most often. I love talking shop and like to see what other forumites might own should I need advice and think it too trivial to start a new thread.

Thanks for showing how to reduce the font size, David and drawback. Very cool.

Yes, David and drawback, much appreciated!

I am a bit concerned about thieves looking this stuff up from the list, but they are spread out in 4 different practice spaces....carrying the Hammonds could prove challenging!

Hammonds:1959 M3,1961 A-101,Vent, 2 Leslies,VB3/Axiom,

Casio WK-7500,Yamaha P50m Module/DGX-300

Gig rig:Casio PX-5S/Roland VR-09/Spacestation V3

http://www.petty-larceny-band.com

Any chance you can just order the music rack for your piano?

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

I like reading about gear everyone is using and it gives me more insight to where anyone might be coming from... like so many of you have mentioned already - and I like the idea of shrinking the font size on my signature - but I'm not getting the desired result - looking for how to enable UBB code if that is not enabled, but unable to figure it out... help!! thnxx!!

gig: hammond sk-1 73, neo vent, nord stage 2 76, ancona 34 accordion, cps space station v3

home: steinway m, 1950 hammond c2

I changed mine today. After seeing this thread and thinking about it, it just didn't make much sense. I think I did it originally because it was a pretty common thing in the forum.

I've written plenty of gear posts, but lately I'd like to see the forum focus more on playing. To help drive that, I've focused my signature on what I'm listening to, what I'm working on, and what my main axe is (a little mention of gear isn't a bad thing).

Sundown

Working on: The Jupiter Bluff; Driven Away

Main axes: Kawai MP11 and Kurz PC361

DAW Platform: Cubase

Hard to describe how much you practice and play in your sig.

Kawai KG-2C, Nord Stage 3 73, Electro 4D, 5D and Lead 2x, Moog Voyager and Little Phatty Stage II, Slim Phatty, Roland Lucina AX-09, Hohner Piano Melodica, Spacestation V3, pair of QSC 8.2s.

Archived