Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Had hand surgery yesterday

Gary75

After years of both steroid intervention and just living with my fingers locking up, I pulled the trigger yesterday and had hand surgery on my right hand.

All this stems from Type 1 diabetes which I have had for 30 years (39 now)

I could still play fairly well but it got to a stage where I was dropping things, not able to get money out of my pocket (some say I had this problem before hand issues) and it was a downer on life in general.

So anyway, my ring and middle finger were done at the same time yesterday. They did it under local. The needle into the palm to administer the anaesthetic was very painful and you are told not to pull your hand as it could permanently damage it. I had this warning when I was having steroid injections into the tendons a few years ago.

Next was the tourniquet. I was told most people have a tolerance of between 15-30 minutes before it becomes unbearable. When it inflated they began immediately and I was told by the surgeon that he could do these procedures in 15 minutes. I was fine and didn't feel a thing as he tackled my middle finger first. This was the lesser of the two problematic fingers and he released it after 15 minutes.

The ring finger was another matter. The locking was further down the palm of the hand resulting in me needing a vertical incision as the initial horizontal incision across the two fingers were not enough to get to the area affected. After 30 minutes the tourniquet became very uncomfortable and they had to release it. Thankfully after being told to repeatedly flex, still locking, more surgery, it finally got to a point where the lock up was no more! The whole procedure took 45 minutes and the surgeon was not expecting my tendons to have thickened that much and said it was the trickiest one he had done.

So, I'm now resting at home, hand elevated in a sling. I won't lie, it's painful!

I did get nervous when he told me he had to cut close to the nerves so he needs to make sure everything's ok feeling wise when I see him Tuesday. However, I have checked my finger ends now that the anaesthetic has worn off and I can feel everything ok.

I'm looking forward to having full hand function back again but of course I'd rather not have had to go through surgery. Any of you guys who are diabetic on here, may it be Type 1 or Type 2, make sure you keep your glucose levels as good as you can as it plays havoc with your connective tissues. And even more importantly for those of you guys the wrong side of 50 and maybe carrying extra weight, check your sugar level. There are so many older people walking around with Type 2 that don't know it.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Gary, glad to hear this seems to have gone as well as it could have. You've been on my mind since you told me about this upcoming surgery. Rest up and I have no doubt you'll soon be once more tickling those ivories (or plastics) to good effect. All the best, mate.

Yamaha: P515, CP88, Genos 1, HX1

Best wishes for a speedy recovery. Timely reminder for those at risk of Type 2. Reading recently that there are probably more people 50+ with Type 2 but undiagnosed than diagnosed. And diagnosed is running at 10% of the over 50 population.

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

Best wishes for a speedy recovery. I, too, recently had hand surgery, to fix arthritis in the basal thumb joint. General anesthesia, a cast for 6 weeks, and a lot of residual stiffness and pain which is getting better by the day. I'm back playing again, and it feels OK. Fingers crossed for both of us.

I'm not a diabetic, but I am an RN and I'm aware of a new inhalable mealtime insulin called Afrezza. Its primary benefit is not that it is inhalable, but that its action is so rapid that it doesn't linger after the carbs are gone. It should allow much better control of glucose levels and better Ha1c levels, and reduce the neuropathic consequences of DM. It's only been available for a month in the US, but early adopters are having great results. Search "afrezzauser" on youtube.

It is different in every way from a previous inhalable insulin called Exubera. I hope it isn't too long before it's available in the UK.

Gary,

I have had Type I diabetes for 37 years and developed "trigger finger", the term my doctor used for the locking of my fingers near the second joint, about five years ago. Since my diagnosis I have had steroid injections multiple times and in both hands. Finally, about three years ago, I opted for surgery on my middle finger of my left hand ( the splint made for some interesting conversations when my hand was elevated) and have since had no issue with that finger. The full use of that finger took me a few months, but when it came back it felt stronger. I have since had to return for steroid shots in my right hand and have just recently begun to have the early onset of tightning in the same hand. I may be forced to break down and have another surgery, but I continue to stick with the steroid injections as long as I get six months of relief. My surgeon prefers to put his patients under general anesthezia, so I did not have the same experience you had. I did briefly try chiropractor care, but the treatment was painful and left me not being able to practice for a few days after. I wish you all the best in your recovery and your diabetes care in general.

Bill

Nord Stage 3 Compact, Korg Kronos 61, Casio PX-5S, Yamaha DXR 10 (2)), Neo Vent, Yamaha MG82cx mixer and too many stands to name.

Hand problems! Every keyboard player's worst nightmare. Glad the op went well! Very best wishes for a full and speedy recovery. :)

This! I've had literal nightmares about mangling my hand. Best wishes for a full and quick recovery!

Moe

---

Yeah, nightmare stuff -- but it sounds like things went well for you, so I hope you don't have any BAD luck and that's all you'll need!

I have some loss of sensation in my left pinky and half of the adjacent ring finger due to cubital tunnel syndrome (same thing as carpal tunnel, but in the elbow). You know the part of your hand that tingles when you bang your funny bone? That's it, and it tingles just a bit all the time. I find it doesn't impair my piano playing at all.

On guitar, it's a closer call; articulation requires more sensation feedback than piano. Fortunately, I'm in the lucky zone. If I were a beginner, the lack of sensation would hamper learning proper finger placement. If I were much better, I might need the sensation to handle more subtle stuff, or to constantly refine new techniques. As it is, I don't suck any worse than I did before, so it's all good!

Besides my wish for a complete and speedy recovery, I just want to add that in December I decided to totally give up white refined sugar, and have switched to Stevia/Truvia/Via natural sweetener. I used to put 2 teaspoons of sugar in my coffee x 5 mugs per day (at least). It took me no time to adjust to the difference in taste, and I feel that I am being proactive in staving off diabetes. Something to consider.

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

Besides my wish for a complete and speedy recovery, I just want to add that in December I decided to totally give up white refined sugar, and have switched to Stevia/Truvia/Via natural sweetener. I used to put 2 teaspoons of sugar in my coffee x 5 mugs per day (at least). It took me no time to adjust to the difference in taste, and I feel that I am being proactive in staving off diabetes. Something to consider.

^^^Switched on guy. To see why diabetes is rife worldwide , all one has to do is glace at what is in peoples grocery trolleys at the checkout.

O.P , I gather you would rather have hand surgery than do that Gypsy gig? :)

Brett

I'm cringing and my heart is racing just reading about this. Hope that you come out of this ten times better than you went in (at least).

I'm going to have nightmares tonight for sure.

Carl

Marzzz, a keys-playing friend had surgery to release that a couple of years ago. He is very pleased with the result.

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

I'd love to reply to individual posts but as I'm typing drafts on my iPhone left handed with one thumb, it would take me from now to eternity.

Thank you all so much for your well wishes. I don't post very often because there are far more qualified players than me to offer advice and opinion, but I do visit here multiple times every day and i enjoy the reading immensely.

I still have my left hand middle finger to have done later but this was the biggy getting my right hand done.

It's nearly 48 hours post surgery and my other half says the exposed ends of my fingers have become less swollen. I'm on antibiotics as a matter of precaution as diabetics are more prone to infections.

Once again thank you so much for your well wishes both as fellow keyboard players and as decent human beings :)

Me: "But Doctor, will I be able to play the piano when I recover?"

Doctor: "Of course, I don't see any reason why not."

Me: "Great -- because I never could play the piano but I always wanted to!"

Left hand middle finger -- very important, especially while driving.

Seriously, very sorry to hear about your hand issues and the surgery needed, but glad to hear it seems to have gone well. Hope your recovery is quick, painless, and most of all, gives you back your dexterity.

D-10; M50; SP4-7; SP6

I'm a fairly accomplished hack.

Marzzz, a keys-playing friend had surgery to release [Dupuytren's contracture] a couple of years ago. He is very pleased with the result.

I still have a ways to go, as it is forming but I can still straighten my finger; it currently burns a little when I am doing push-ups. The biggest problem for me will be forced downtime not just for keyboards and guitar, but work as well (and I am self-employed).

local anaesthetic - how was that to watch?!? :facepalm:

here's wishing you a full and speedy recovery - the idea of losing hand function is nightmarish...

I stopped eating carbs/sugars 5 years ago, all kinds of inflammation went away fwiw...

gig: hammond sk-1 73, neo vent, nord stage 2 76, ancona 34 accordion, cps space station v3

home: steinway m, 1950 hammond c2

Uummm , try watching your own eye surgery under local like I did , back in 2007 - terrifying and awful. The pain after the numbing agents wore off later was a shocker.

The worst part was the initial needle into my eyeball after the numbing drops....

Brett

I've had a hand surgeon tell me that I should look into joint replacement for both thumbs. I have osteoarthritis in the base joint on both thumbs. There is no cartilage left on either joint. I move the thumb, and I can feel the grinding. No kind of shots help. About the only thing that does is Mobic, a prescription nsaid. I take that for the arthritis in my back, and my left hip, and it helps the thumbs as well.

When the doc said surgery, I said No F-in Way. Besides, playing piano actually makes the pain ease off.

I was diagnosed type 2 diabetes some time ago. I'm trying to get it back under control. as I really didn't pay that much attention to it for a while. I have a daily oral med, and a weekly injectable med. The injectable has a side effect of potential weight loss. At my heaviest I was @ 360lbs. The weight has been coming off slowly, and steadily, and this morning I was down to 289. Has helped my blood pressure, and it should start affecting the glucose levels.

To B3Boy - Here's hoping that the recovery time goes smoothly, and you have full restoration of movement.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

Archived