Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Heads-up: SpaceStation keyboard amp is apparently back

I have a jazz gig tomorrow that calls for a good sounding acoustic piano sound out of my CP4. Preparing for the gig at home I tried the CP4 to the SS and it sounded very good but not great. So I tried hooking up the SS and an RCF TT08A a few different ways hoping to get the best of both worlds: high fidelity reproduction of the CP4 piano samples with the TT08A and the omnipresent sound of the SS. In the end, the rig sounded great with the CP4 into the SS, and the SS sub out into the TT08A. The SS was vertical on the floor with the TT08A vertical on top of the SS. The front speakers were in the same plane. The SS settings were all at noon and the TT08A was at full volume. Setup this way the TT08A was the dominate front speaker. It really sounded great. Looking forward to tomorrow night's gig!

Ok, both you and Dave Ferris are making me think about this way too much. What if I could get the amazing crispness of a high-end self-powered PA unit, but the amazing stereo fill of the SSv3?

Inquiring minds want to know. I have a FA12ac that could run off of the sub out of the SSv3. Damn -- now I want to try this!

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

Al, I hooked my RCF TT22a to the sub out, on the SS, the other day just out of curiosity. I placed the SS on top of the two way 12" cab. The RCF really functioned well as a sub, giving the sound more fullness in the middle and bass. I often use the 22A when kicking LHB, and that cab has unbelievable bottom to it.

I was too lazy to pull the CP4 out of its case so I did the test with the CP5 which is always set up in the studio.

I will try what you did with the 08A and see what I think.

I hate to say this, because I know you just sold your NS2, but after last night's quick hearing of Alan's NE3HP , with the Fazioli sample- tonally , the Nord might be a better match for the SS alone, then the CP4. Of course I'd have to hear the two keyboards side by side to make an honest judgement.

I still have my Electro 4D so I was able to play the Fazioli through the SS and agree that it sounds excellent. I struggled to control the sound because of the E4D's waterfall keys so I midi'ed the CP4 to the E4D and triggered the Fazioli with the CP4 keybed through the SS and, yes, it sounds and feels great, especially for chordal stuff. Still no seller's remorse on the NS2 HA88 for me as I was almost always distracted (rather than inspired) by the action.

Aspen, what type of wood is the ss3's cabinet constructed of?

The box is made of a high density MDF wood (very dense particle wood board), then covered in Tolex style material.

This material is acoustically dead, and IMHO it really sounds the best. The challenge for me was to get a loud 105+dB SPL from a very small footprint cab (under 1 sf), and the density of the MDF helps me achieve that. It is also just a bit cheaper than plywood, but then you need to brace plywood to get a similar low resonance FR. So then the cost to get the same acoustic performance is much more expensive with Plywood or an injection molded plastic (in small quantities anyway).

The down side is that MDF is a bit heavier that plywood or plastic. BUT it also helps me achieve great audio performance and keep the price point low.

Hammond A100 w/ 2x Leslie 122, Leslie 145 w/ combo pedal, Casio P5S, SS3, Groove Tubes SFX G5 cab + CPS/QSC RM4500 KB amp, 1955 Steinway 48" studio upright.

Aspen created an amazing product. It may not be everyone's cup of tea, but it's working damn well for me in many situations.

Tonight's gig was a small, hard-drinking bar. I was up against a loud guitarist, an enthusiastic drummer, and a horn section. Coupled with the Behringer sub, I had both volume and authority. At times, I had more presence than the bass player.

I had to be a bit thoughtful on just how much I cranked it.

Stereo sounds were killer: B3, chorus on EPs and APs, etc. I didn't suck. There was a bit of dialing in of AP sounds to get the crispness I crave, but I'm used to that now. My audience spies told me that they heard me clearly all night, and they said I sounded great.

Keep in mind, this was the band that I've always brought my stupendous FA12acs on poles. They were used to a rather outrageous keyboard sound. Nobody cmnplained that I was using the SSv3 rig. It took a lot less space, which was generally appreciated.

Best part was that the schlepping was minimal compared to my usual self-powered PAs on poles. Setup was 30 minutes, load out was 20.

Love it.

That being said, I'm toying with the idea of bringing a single FA12ac to augment the SSv3 vs the Behringer. I'm guessing it would cover both the bass and the high-end crispness I crave pretty well.

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

The Fazioli on the Nord sounded great through the SS amp ! Really an open, airy sound.

:2thu::2thu::2thu:

definitely my favorite... :D

gig: hammond sk-1 73, neo vent, nord stage 2 76, ancona 34 accordion, cps space station v3

home: steinway m, 1950 hammond c2

Did a jazz gig last night with my CP4 into the SS vertical on the floor and an RCF TT08A vertical on top of the SS. The TT08A was plugged into the SS sub out. It was a yacht club on the north shore of Long Island and was mostly carpeted. The deadness of the room knocked down the clarity of the my rig. It sounded very good but I think it would have sounded great if the TT08A was raised on a pole. Another lesson learned. I'm still trying to figure out what's best for jazz gigs that call for an authentic acoustic piano sound: SS / TT08A or two TT08A's? For any gig that requires a lot of organ (i.e., rock, blues, jazz organ trio) the SS is the clear winner for me.

2 gigs this weekend both were outdoor venues, very large stages and huge front support, the SS shined on both occasions with the 1200D sub and I had plenty of room to bump it up louder but was fine. Also used my analog wave form deflector (plexiglass) and worked like a charm!!!

Nord Stage 2 88

Korg M50

Korg KINGKORG

SPACESTATION V.3

Behringer Eurolive B-1200D PRO

Iowa Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Inductee

www.endlesssummertheband.com

That being said, I'm toying with the idea of bringing a single FA12ac to augment the SSv3 vs the Behringer. I'm guessing it would cover both the bass and the high-end crispness I crave pretty well.

I'd be real curious to hear your opinion on that.

Tim

KronosX, ssv3, Vpiano, fulcrum fa22ac, Rupert neve line mixer, tons of weird guitars, axe-fx ultra, a couple of nice tube amps (Elmwood and Carr)

Eventide Harmonizer

By now, steady readers of this >100-page novel know that I am an unabashed true-believer in Aspen's technology. But I just had to post that I am still in after-glow--yes, even after several hundred gigs using either the v.2 or v.3--from yesterday's gig experience.

Average sized venue, with 3' riser wood stage, high ceiling and FOH sound support and techie provided. I always keep my set-up for these sorts of gigs/venues consistent and simply. Cables from my SK1 into the v.3 then sub-out to my support amp (Promethean P3115 bass combo) then DI out of the back of that to FOH. Call me crazy but I prefer putting the v.3 on one side of me and the bass amp to the other side, both of them set about 4 feet behind me. I just like the way both my ears get engaged. I also asked the techie to put the keys in my monitor with the EQ at middling amounts for high and mid frequencies, and tad more for low frequency.

I thought I was sounding really good and was smiling all night long. After the gig, the sound guy says to me "I am not sure what you were doing, what your gear is about, or even exactly what we were running through to the house system, but just gotta tell you that I haven't had keys, especially Leslie-less organ sounds, sound that full or project that clearly ever before." Then he asked me to walk him through my gear and connections.

KB: Hammond SK1

Bass KB: Yamaha MX49

KB Amps: CPS SS3, linked to TurboSound IP300

Bass KB amp: Fender Rumble 500 combo

www.mikemickxer.com

www.reverbnation.com/mikemickxer

By now, steady readers of this >100-page novel know that I am an unabashed true-believer in Aspen's technology. But I just had to post that I am still in after-glow--yes, even after several hundred gigs using either the v.2 or v.3--from yesterday's gig experience.

Average sized venue, with 3' riser wood stage, high ceiling and FOH sound support and techie provided. I always keep my set-up for these sorts of gigs/venues consistent and simply. Cables from my SK1 into the v.3 then sub-out to my support amp (Promethean P3115 bass combo) then DI out of the back of that to FOH. Call me crazy but I prefer putting the v.3 on one side of me and the bass amp to the other side, both of them set about 4 feet behind me. I just like the way both my ears get engaged. I also asked the techie to put the keys in my monitor with the EQ at middling amounts for high and mid frequencies, and tad more for low frequency.

I thought I was sounding really good and was smiling all night long. After the gig, the sound guy says to me "I am not sure what you were doing, what your gear is about, or even exactly what we were running through to the house system, but just gotta tell you that I haven't had keys, especially Leslie-less organ sounds, sound that full or project that clearly ever before." Then he asked me to walk him through my gear and connections.

KB: Hammond SK1

Bass KB: Yamaha MX49

KB Amps: CPS SSv.3 linked to G-K MB110 or Promethean P3115

Bass KB amp: G-K MB800 (various cabinets)

NICE!!!! I don't know why, but for some reason when a sound tech guy asks for knowledge it makes me smile!!! maybe because they usually think they have all the answers already!!!!

Nord Stage 2 88

Korg M50

Korg KINGKORG

SPACESTATION V.3

Behringer Eurolive B-1200D PRO

Iowa Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Inductee

www.endlesssummertheband.com

Enthusiastic advocate of the SSV3 here. Just recently I took advice from some KC posts and purchased an amp stand:

https://photos.google.com/search/_tra_/photo/AF1QipOO94GViZ_50V6BIiKhfIokT779ZjD00wwn67rf

This amp stand is highly recommended. Cheap and handy. Unlike other amp stands it folds flat. As far as I can tell the SSV3 sound seems to benefit if it's raised from the floor a little bit. I get the best sound if the SSV3 is placed sharp angled to my ears instead of equiangular.

LIFE IS SHORT, GO GET THE GEAR YOU WANT ;-)

The deadness of the room knocked down the clarity of the my rig.It sounded very good but I think it would have sounded great if the TT08A was raised on a pole . Another lesson learned. I'm still trying to figure out what's best for jazz gigs that call for an authentic acoustic piano sound: SS / TT08A or two TT08A's? For any gig that requires a lot of organ (i.e., rock, blues, jazz organ trio) the SS is the clear winner for me.

Just futzing around in my studio, I put the TT08A on top of the SS and then tried the RCF on that short Yorkville pole that I posted about in another thread:

http://www.directproaudio.com/pro-audio-accessories/stands-truss/speaker-stands/yorkville-sks-02b-extra-short-tripod-speaker-stand/?gclid=CjwKEAjwm-aqBRD39YPqhbzthzYSJACFj-At-zSLqgliPisN1LMC1AiA9AFIB_6_nxk9L6cWmZOEFRoCYCTw_wcB

I think the overall sound was better with the short speaker pole.

Setting the SS on top of the RCF TT22A works better with regard to speaker placement. Of course I get more fullness with the 12" box. But at 53 lbs. :cry:

Definite improved sound with either RCF TT cabinet - 8" or 12"- but then you're back to schlepping 2 boxes which kinda defeats the whole purpose and convienience of going the stereo amp route - at least for me.

Dave, not sure if you get this benefit but for me the SS allows others in the band to hear me better and provides a more even sound across the listening space. This is why I'm trying to keep the SS as part of my solution for AP gigs. I really do notice better interaction with others in the band because they can all hear me better which make for a more enjoyable musical experience. Having said that, if it's a difficult schlep I'll be likely using one speaker.

Two very quick positive-comment stories about the SS3: played a gig on Saturday with a bass player I've done other gigs with. During break, he's hanging with another musician friend, I come over, we chat for awhile, bass player says to other guy, "Oh, yeah--can you believe the sound he gets from that little amp?" Other guy agrees, "sounds amazing," he says.

Then yesterday, setting up for a different gig, guitar player-bossman wants to run a line from key rig to his board. I've played with him before. I say, "Are you sure? I think we'll be OK [meaning, with no extra help from the mains at this one]." He says, "Oh, that's right, you have your amp. That thing really pumps!" (Then he took a line anyway, but still...)

Nice to bask in the reflected glory of the amp I play through.

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

I'm using the Spacestation as my stage monitor with the LA Philharmonic at the Hollywood Bowl this evening for Back to the Future, and it's working great! Our golden ears FOH engineer came by before this morning's rehearsal and was blown away by the box.

Cameras aren't allowed on stage, but if any YouTube videos surface later, I'm downstage right (behind the 1st violins), with the Spacestation directly behind me. :cool:

http://www.hollywoodbowl.com/tickets/back-future-concert-30th-anniversary/2015-06-30

Hi, all -

First post here. Thanks to this epic thread, I bought an SS sight-unseen (or -unheard) last week. Great service by Sweetwater, by the way - ordered it Tuesday, it arrived here in NYC on Friday so I was able to try it out on a gig Saturday night.

So, on to the first gig report. This was a 5-piece band (rhythm section, lead guitar, singer-songwriter also playing acoustic guitar) in a typical small NYC club, doing r&b/soul-flavored originals. With this band I play a mix of Rhodes/Wurly/B3, with one or two tunes using acoustic piano.

This was a tough set-up for a number of reasons:

- small stage so we were really crammed together

- typical NYC club situation with 5 bands in a row, each playing a 45-minute set, so very little time for set-up or sound-check - basically, 10 minutes to set up, then dial it in on the fly

- I just reworked my entire rig, ditching the Roland Fantom and Hammond XK-2 I have been carrying for years in favor of a Nord Electro 5. This was only the second gig I have used the Nord on, so I'm still figuring out the ins-and-outs of the keyboard

I was set up all the way stage left, with the SS just to my left, sitting on the floor and leaning back against the side wall at about a 45-degree angle. It was no more than 3' from me, so not ideal for hearing the spacious sound others have described, but I was able to hear myself very clearly, and it sure seemed like the rest of the band was hearing me as well or better than in the past. My fiancee was in the audience, and was also able to hear me very well (which is not always the case.)

I definitely need to try the SS in a bunch of other situations before a final verdict, but my initial reaction is that I am thrilled with it! Working in and around NYC, the logistics of carrying gear to and from gigs is a huge issue for me, and leaving aside issues of sound, this amp is less than half the size (and weight) of the keyboard amp I have been lugging for years. Between that and swapping two keyboards for the single Nord Electro, my load-in and load-out suddenly got enormously more manageable - so even if the sound of the amp is only AS GOOD as what I had before, it's still a huge improvement. I'm pretty confident that the sound itself is also a big improvement, so I am a very happy camper at the moment!

Big thanks to everyone who shared their extensive experiences with the SS - I'm really pleased to own one, and I have a feeling it will be a workhorse for me for a long time to come!

With all the talk about the $499 ev zxa1-90's and the $2000+ TT08A's sounding clearer and much more defined for ap patches, I'm thinking that a single ssv3 alone without a sub, on the floor, tilted against a wall (in a corner or not) will sound way more accurate for aps, than my current traynor k4, weight/size issues aside. Would most users agree with that assumption?

With all the talk about the $499 ev zxa1-90's and the $2000+ TT08A's sounding clearer and much more defined for ap patches, I'm thinking that a single ssv3 alone without a sub, on the floor, tilted against a wall (in a corner or not) will sound way more accurate for aps, than my current traynor k4, weight/size issues aside. Would most users agree with that assumption?

I have the SSv3. I gave away my "stereo" Traynor K4.....

KronosX, ssv3, Vpiano, fulcrum fa22ac, Rupert neve line mixer, tons of weird guitars, axe-fx ultra, a couple of nice tube amps (Elmwood and Carr)

Eventide Harmonizer

Hi, all -

First post here. Thanks to this epic thread, I bought an SS sight-unseen (or -unheard) last week. Great service by Sweetwater, by the way - ordered it Tuesday, it arrived here in NYC on Friday so I was able to try it out on a gig Saturday night.

So, on to the first gig report. This was a 5-piece band (rhythm section, lead guitar, singer-songwriter also playing acoustic guitar) in a typical small NYC club, doing r&b/soul-flavored originals. With this band I play a mix of Rhodes/Wurly/B3, with one or two tunes using acoustic piano.

This was a tough set-up for a number of reasons:

- small stage so we were really crammed together

- typical NYC club situation with 5 bands in a row, each playing a 45-minute set, so very little time for set-up or sound-check - basically, 10 minutes to set up, then dial it in on the fly

- I just reworked my entire rig, ditching the Roland Fantom and Hammond XK-2 I have been carrying for years in favor of a Nord Electro 5. This was only the second gig I have used the Nord on, so I'm still figuring out the ins-and-outs of the keyboard

I was set up all the way stage left, with the SS just to my left, sitting on the floor and leaning back against the side wall at about a 45-degree angle. It was no more than 3' from me, so not ideal for hearing the spacious sound others have described, but I was able to hear myself very clearly, and it sure seemed like the rest of the band was hearing me as well or better than in the past. My fiancee was in the audience, and was also able to hear me very well (which is not always the case.)

I definitely need to try the SS in a bunch of other situations before a final verdict, but my initial reaction is that I am thrilled with it! Working in and around NYC, the logistics of carrying gear to and from gigs is a huge issue for me, and leaving aside issues of sound, this amp is less than half the size (and weight) of the keyboard amp I have been lugging for years. Between that and swapping two keyboards for the single Nord Electro, my load-in and load-out suddenly got enormously more manageable - so even if the sound of the amp is only AS GOOD as what I had before, it's still a huge improvement. I'm pretty confident that the sound itself is also a big improvement, so I am a very happy camper at the moment!

Big thanks to everyone who shared their extensive experiences with the SS - I'm really pleased to own one, and I have a feeling it will be a workhorse for me for a long time to come!

if you want to really reduce your city load-in/out schelpp factor, look at this case. SSv3 fits it like a glove and with its (ss3) top handle its easy in/out of case. unless you're already loading all your gear on a cart or something.

GPA 720

I think you can get it somewhere else for $10 or so less if you want to webshop around. I think someone mentioned B&H photo...

The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

if you want to really reduce your city load-in/out schelpp factor, look at this case. SSv3 fits it like a glove and with its (ss3) top handle its easy in/out of case. unless you're already loading all your gear on a cart or something.

GPA 720

I think you can get it somewhere else for $10 or so less if you want to webshop around. I think someone mentioned B&H photo...

Thanks, Dave - I actually already have a folding dolly that I use. I can fit a keyboard stand, the SS, and a bag of cables on that, and the Nord goes in a gig bag with backpack straps. SO what used take 3-4 trips to and from the car to load in or out, I can now do in a single trip (or on the subway when necessary.)

I am thinking I may need a cover for the SS, though. I normally don't bother with amp covers, but the open side panels make me a little nervous - I would hate for something to get in there and poke through the side speaker by accident!

...I'm thinking that a single ssv3 alone without a sub, on the floor, tilted against a wall (in a corner or not) will sound way more accurate for aps, than my current traynor k4, weight/size issues aside. Would most users agree with that assumption?

I would agree whole-heartedly. I've owned a K4 since shortly after they came out and have been quite happy with it -- not so much for its sound, but for its features and convenience. I've owned the SSV3 for a little over a month now, and the K4 will be on the market shortly (I wanted to get a few gigs under my belt before totally making the switch.)

Live: Yamaha S70XS (#1); Roland Jupiter-80; Mackie 1202VLZ4: IEMs or Traynor K4

Home: Hammond SK Pro 73; Moog Minimoog Voyager Electric Blue; Yamaha S70XS (#2); Wurlitzer 200A

GPA 720

Dave, is there much extra room in the top of that case? Just wondering if there would be enough space to set a Mackie 1202VLZ mixer -- which is 2.6" tall -- on top of the SSV3.

Home: Hammond SK Pro 73; Moog Minimoog Voyager Electric Blue; Yamaha S70XS (#2); Wurlitzer 200A

GPA 720

B&H is selling those for $95 today !!!!!!

SpaceStation V3,

MoxF6,PX5S,Hammond-SK2,Artis7,Stage2-73,

KronosX-73,MS Pro145,Ventilator,OB DB1,Lester K

Toys: RIP died in the flood of 8/16 1930 Hammond AV, 1970s Leslie 145, 1974 Rhodes Stage

GPA 720

Dave, is there much extra room in the top of that case? Just wondering if there would be enough space to set a Mackie 1202VLZ mixer -- which is 2.6" tall -- on top of the SSV3.

I think so but not sure. look at the interal dimensions on the case vs the ssv3 ... the top is not rigid, only the sides and bottom are. i'd guess you can but ... ymmv, no warranties are expressed or implied by any idiotic thing I post :)
The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

GPA 720

I think so but not sure. look at the interal dimensions on the case vs the ssv3 ... the top is not rigid, only the sides and bottom are. i'd guess you can but ... ymmv, no warranties are expressed or implied by any idiotic thing I post :)

Thanks! According to their respective specs, there should be 2 inches of clearance above the SSV3. Since the top of the case is cloth, maybe it will stretch to allow that extra 0.6 inch... Might have to give it a try. That cover that came with my SSV3 (I bought mine used) doesn't provide much protection.