Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Heads-up: SpaceStation keyboard amp is apparently back

Funny as hell though when somebody makes a fart joke in church.

I prefer actually farting in church... if I went to church.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

There was some distortion, especially in the first set. Vocals were the most obvious offender, though the organ farted and wheezed its way through the bandwidth whenever it accompanied vox. I trimmed gains and got a cleaner mix for the second set. (The issue could partially have been my little mixer, which wasn't really made to run a band through. If I'd known, I'd have brought my Onyx.)

Excellent post, thanks for sharing. I have done the "whole band" thing many times now and it really is amazing. The best feature is the way band members HEAR the same mix and just seem to play better too.

However, I also discovered the limitations of using a "less expensive" mixer to blend strings, VOX anad keys...too many channels pumping all at once seem to overload those "under $300" mixers and cause intermodulation distortion (IMD), where one channel's dynamic event can adversely influence another channel's clarity. And the proper gain settings and/or using a compressor can really influence the end result.

Originally I thought I had just hit the limits of my SS3 until I upped the quality of my mixer, (recently bought one of those of the new Yamaha MD series w/ compressors on each channel and dual internal stereo FX...great sounding preamps too. Man, that really made all the difference. And, no more farting (so no more fart jokes please).

As my father educated me in becoming "cool", he said;

"son, it's better to be a smart feller, than a fart smeller".

Words to live by....

Hammond A100 w/ 2x Leslie 122, Leslie 145 w/ combo pedal, Casio P5S, SS3, Groove Tubes SFX G5 cab + CPS/QSC RM4500 KB amp, 1955 Steinway 48" studio upright.

Now that the SS is back in my studio, after experimenting with different positions, I find, so far, I like it best leaned back against the wall against one of its top corners with the front and a side speaker firing towards me. The leslie sim really sounds impressive like that. Strangely enough it seems pretty stable in that position, probably due to its weight distribution but I may have to get some kind of amp stand for it for added stability. This incidentally is the same position I had it in during my first gig with it that I had posted about above, where everyone was raving about its sound. Of course YMMV depending on the room it is in.

Hammonds:1959 M3,1961 A-101,Vent, 2 Leslies,VB3/Axiom,

Casio WK-7500,Yamaha P50m Module/DGX-300

Gig rig:Casio PX-5S/Roland VR-09/Spacestation V3

http://www.petty-larceny-band.com

I've been using the SS3 for a couple of months and after an initial "learning phase", have been very pleased with the sound. My primary setup is a Roland A-88 running through a MacPro laptop with Synthogy Ivory II Steinway D, VB3 hammond plug-in, Main Stage 3 and Ableton live. I've also used the SS3 with a Nord C2 and Roland Fr3X accordion. For smaller venues, I've found that I can plug directly into the SS3 (solo piano, piano duo, organ trio). Played an organ trio gig in a small restaurant last week. The SS3 was in a corner - sounded great, bass was fat enough for the small room. For solo piano or duos, I position the SS3 at about a 45 degree angle to the wall. This maximizes the reflected sound and, as a result, I'm surrounded by piano with an overall level that doesn't overwhelm the listeners. I played a big band gig a couple of weeks ago where I plugged right into the SS3 and used the subout as a feed to the mains. Great out front and on stage sound - the sax section actually asked me to turn down. For gigs where I need more volume, I use a small Behringer mixer. First time I used it with a alt-country/rock band (keys, two guitars, pedal steel, bass, drums), one of the guitar players commented "that's an amazing little box". Also received complements about the SS3 after an outdoor gig with the country band. Since dispersion of the sound from the side speaker is an essential part of the SS3's sound, I picked up a couple of pieces of plexiglass (6"x 8") and using velcro, fashioned a pair of wings that I can attach to the SS3. Works great for outdoor gigs where there's no reflective surface. I've been thinking about getting a subwoofer, but have been satisfied with the SS3's range for small or medium venues and for larger venues, go for a good onstage sound with the SS3 and run the subout to the mains.

So I'd like to try putting my SS3 on an amp stand horizontally, with the side speaker firing down as many here seem to enjoy. But I really don't want another piece of hardware to carry in to the gig.

Has anyone tried one of these? It's the Standback--go to 2:25 on this video to see it in action:

At first it looks like it might not work, but then again--it might! And it weighs less than a pound and supports up to 80 lbs. Seems like the SS3 might be too wide, but then again it might work.

Doug Robinson

www.dougrobinson.com

yes, Cedar, people have noticed distortion on thicker patches.)

I was afraid of that.

I don't have a sub, but do have an Alto 110a around the house (http://www.altoproaudio.com/products/ts110a). I wonder if that could be a usable substitute for a sub.

Guess I'll just give it a try.

Until I master the MIDI setups (enabling me to use my CP4 as a controller of my Hammond xk1c), I am playing bass notes on the CP4, using the CP4's own patches. I therefore currently have two options for avoiding some of the distortion I noticed with thr SS (evidently due to heavy bass patches):

(1) Connect both keyboards into the SS (through a small mixer), and then send the sub signal from SS to the Alto (which is not a true subwoofer, but does handle lows well);

(2) Connect xk1C directly to the SS and CP4 directly to the Alto, avoiding the need for a mixer.

I will try both tonight, but I am curious if anyone expects one of these options to be superior. Option 1 allows for the stereo effect of both keyboards, but I don't think that matters if I am playing solely bass/pedal notes on the CP4. On the other hand, maybe option 1 helps the SS perform better?

(Before long, I will likely buy a subwoofer (and use CP4 as a controller frequently), so this is a somewhat academic question, but still curious).

Has anyone tried one of these? It's the Standback
I went to Standback.net about 4 months ago, looked at the pictures and video and built my own. I used:

- nylon straps from a broken ratchet tie down strap

- heavy duty paint stir sticks from Lowes (3 @ .29/each)

- a cap from a can of paint; a plastic hockey puck is preferred

- small bolts with wing nuts

Took about 30 minutes or so to build. The wing nuts allow it to be disassembled in about 20 seconds and folded up in my gig bag.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

Has anyone tried one of these? It's the Standback
I went to Standback.net about 4 months ago, looked at the pictures and video and built my own. I used:

- nylon straps from a broken ratchet tie down strap

- heavy duty paint stirs from Lowes

- a cap from a can of paint; a plastic hockey puck is preferred

- small bolts with wing nuts

Took about 30 minutes or so to build. The wing nuts allow it to be disassembled in about 20 seconds and folded up in my gig bag.

Nice! I could never pay that price for what I see. How does it work?

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251

The issue I have is that the ELX112P isn't completely square on the back, it jets off into a 45 degree 2/3 of the way on the back of the speaker. Note the 45 degree cut in this picture:

pic

For completely squared back amps/cabinets, it works great. As I have it already adjusted, you simply unfold and setup the triangle (why a wingnut is preferred for quick assembly/disassembly), placed it behind the speaker, lay the amp on the straps and lean the amp back against the triangle. The hockey puck prevents the straps from sliding. Takes 30 seconds to setup.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

The Standback does not lift the amp/speaker up off the floor. Maybe that's what you want - the side speaker firing direct at the close floor. I'd be interested to know what people think about this. Do you want it very close to the floor or other reflective surface, or do you want the floor to be a foot or more away?

Do you think it would work well on this QuikLok speaker stand?

http://www.amazon.com/QuikLok-BS-313-Speaker-Stand-Black/dp/B003R7KU3K

I use a pair of these stands to get my QSC's up off the floor and tilted back. I got mine a few years ago for about 1/3 the price they're asking now on Amazon.

These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

Yeah, I was stunned at the price of the QuikLok stand now. I bought mine 5 years ago. I think they were $19 each, which is why I got them. The Gator stand looks like a much better deal at current asking prices.
These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

So I'd like to try putting my SS3 on an amp stand horizontally, with the side speaker firing down as many here seem to enjoy. But I really don't want another piece of hardware to carry in to the gig.

Has anyone tried one of these? It's the Standback--go to 2:25 on this video to see it in action:

The SS3 is 12" tall, so that looks too tall, I'd have to try one to be sure. But if you plan to leave one corner side on the ground, that should give more bass coupling...a good thing.

If this didn't work you could still just do the sideways thang but just tilted back against a wall...or against a sub, or tilted back against most any thing.

I have tried the sideways thang and believe it could have some advantages in a very tight club. Overall I like it upright with a small rubber tire chock wedged in the front just to give it a bit of "lift", and also this keeps it on the floor for the bass coupling.

Best thing is to try it all ways and let your ears be your guide.

Hammond A100 w/ 2x Leslie 122, Leslie 145 w/ combo pedal, Casio P5S, SS3, Groove Tubes SFX G5 cab + CPS/QSC RM4500 KB amp, 1955 Steinway 48" studio upright.

Earlier this evening I had the pleasure of hearing Dave Ferris on my Nord/SSv3 setup in a 1000+ seat auditorium. I walked around the room as he was playing some jazz standards, and found that both tone and volume were remarkably consistent regardless of where I stood, not unlike what I've been used to with the Bose L1 (but in stereo).

That was a nice sound check, and a lovely opportunity to hear a talented artist...

Thanks again Alan for letting me come in and try your stuff. The Fazioli on the Nord sounded great through the SS amp ! Really an open, airy sound. I miss my NP2 now... ;)

Alan was rehearsing with a fine local orchestra , the New Valley Symphony. They are playing a concert this Sunday consisting of the film music of Randy Newman.

Thanks for this report Dave, and the tease about Alan's gig this Sunday...but I must know; when and where! (I love Randy Newman)

If you will be playing out w/ an SS3 please keep in mind the CPS family page on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/810801589001231/

There is also great thread started right here on KC too for SS3 sitings (or should I say hearings?), so folks can come and hear for them selves: https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2669065/Anyone_near_have_Spacestation_#Post2669065

IMHO these are much nicer, and more meaningful experiences than just going into a Guitar Center to hear one, plus you are supporting a brother and live music!

IMHO these are much nicer, and more meaningful experiences than just going into a SWEETWATER to hear one, plus you are supporting a brother and live music!

corrected ... However it would be nice if GC had them too so more people could demo them!

Kurzweil Forte,Roland Fantom 6,Hydrasynth,Numa C2X, SpaceStation V.3, other stuffs

I have a jazz gig tomorrow that calls for a good sounding acoustic piano sound out of my CP4. Preparing for the gig at home I tried the CP4 to the SS and it sounded very good but not great. So I tried hooking up the SS and an RCF TT08A a few different ways hoping to get the best of both worlds: high fidelity reproduction of the CP4 piano samples with the TT08A and the omnipresent sound of the SS. In the end, the rig sounded great with the CP4 into the SS, and the SS sub out into the TT08A. The SS was vertical on the floor with the TT08A vertical on top of the SS. The front speakers were in the same plane. The SS settings were all at noon and the TT08A was at full volume. Setup this way the TT08A was the dominate front speaker. It really sounded great. Looking forward to tomorrow night's gig!