Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: UPS is really slipping

Steve Force

Peeps, beware of UPS--they are slipping Big Time. Horrible customer service, items going missing, and undue amount of breakage even though items are adequately packaged. Those assholes must be throwing the packages or letting them fall off of conveyor belts.

And this is just MY recent experience!

Steve Force,

Durham, North Carolina

--------

My Professional Websites

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I received a shipment via UPS recently that arrived in a box different from the one it left the business in. Luckily the contents were undamaged. The box made it to Indy, stayed on the truck for a day then took off for Chicago, spent the night there and then came back to Indy where it rested for the weekend before being delivered. I now use FedEx more often.

I've been a long time FEDEX man myself. There is a recent, disturbing, development though. Many web based businesses ship under the FEDEX imprimatur, but the packages are actually delivered by the US Postal Service. Yikes!

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

Hopefully these UPS occurrences are aberrations, and not a trend. IIRC, there was a serious delay issue through one of the UPS hubs - around the holidays; public apologies being issued for items not arriving for Christmas, etc.. I wonder if efforts at correcting the problem - i.e., picking up the tempo a bit - have effected the problems you guys have noticed. BTW, While UPS appeared to have the most serious problem - according to news reports, FedEx was having delay issues as well.

I've used FedEx, UPS, and USPS pretty much equally, over several years; and the rare occurrence of package damage has happened with all of them - with items I've shipped and received. I've only had to return / replace one received item; the same goes for items shipped. Guess I've been lucky - considering that's over a 30 year period.

All of these services move stuff at warp speed; I've witnessed it firsthand with UPS. First half of 1998 I worked p/t for the Chicago area UPS hub as a line voicer/ large package handler, and things flew - sometimes literally. That's why I over-package practically everything I ship. Was kind of a cool gig though: the mornings went fast, I lost weight, and I got to see the first Yamaha EX5's moving cross-country.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

FedEx has some sort of deal with the USPS where once it gets to your town, the local post office handles delivery the rest of the way. I think it's part of their FedEx Home service.

UPS has always been great for me, never any issues with deliveries at least not where I live now.

FedEx has always been a nightmare regardless of where I've lived.

I've left notes on the door with implicit instructions on where to find my super so she can sign for a package only to come home and find a "Sorry we missed you" door tag.

It's like they don't even try anymore.

Nord Stage 2 SW73, Kurzweil PC3LE7, Moog Sub 37, Alesis Ion, Rhodes Stage 73, Moog Werkstatt-01, Yamaha CP-300

-------------

Knock knock

Who's there?

Interrupting synthesizer

Interrup-MOOOOOOOOOG

I will say that UPS drivers seem to know their customers a bit more, or at least make an effort to personalize service....such as knowing your preferences on where to leave packages and stuff like that. My day job standardized on Fed Ex, but I ran into an issue with my biggest customer. They have basically a huge campus of multiple individual process plants. Fed Ex won't deliver anything to the individual plants, they take everything to Corporate, which is just offices. From there, corporate has to figure out where it's supposed to go then arrange for internal delivery to the appropriate plant. This can delay it by days, things can go to the wrong place, and things have been lost at the customer, and we had no recourse because the person at the plant had no idea who the person was who signed for it. UPS delivers to the proper end destination. In fact, they know by the purchase order number on the box where it should go because there's a location code embedded in the Po#, and UPS knows the building numbers.

Could it just be your local service center/driver?

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Peeps, beware of UPS--they are slipping Big Time... undue amount of breakage

I experienced partially crushed boxes quite often when I had my sign business. Usually the contents were OK (blank vinyl banners), but when UPS delivered my Korg digital recorder with the bottom of the box partially open... that was annoying. :rolleyes:

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

I worked at the main UPS hub here in Louisville as a loader. Working fast is more valuable than working carefully. Boxes get tossed around and dropped. Marking a box as "fragile" or "this side up" is totally pointless. When you have over 100 boxes coming down the line every minute, there's simply no time to give special treatment to any one package. The only thing on the box we looked for was the bar code that had to be scanned, and occasionally the zip code to confirm where the package was going. I was never told this directly, but it was generally understood that operating at max efficiency was worth the occasional customer complaint or damage claim.

With that said, from the customer side of things, I agree with what Dan said. The UPS driver that delivers to me when I order stuff is very good. He seems to know my schedule and does a great job knowing when and where to leave stuff if I'm not home, depending on what type of package it is.

I ordered a guitar from the US, for delivery to the UK. It didn't arrive on the appointed day. I drove up to my local UPS depot 25 miles away, to find out where it was.

Their answer? "We don't exactly know, there's no reason that it shouldn't be here."

Not exactly what you want to hear about your $5000 guitar.

Luckily, it turned up in one piece, two days later.

SSM

Occasionally, do something nice for a total stranger. They'll wonder what the hell is going on!

The problem is they will not PAY for occasional damage. I understand speed, efficiency, and six sigma (striving for 100% perfection/zero error) and that it is virtually impossible to achieve; however, own up and pay! Why must I be the one to eat your fuckup, UPS? I am tired of it.

Steve Force,

Durham, North Carolina

--------

My Professional Websites

The UPS driver that delivers to me when I order stuff is very good. He seems to know my schedule and does a great job knowing when and where to leave stuff if I'm not home, depending on what type of package it is.

Back in the "good old days" our UPS driver was excellent. He was around for a few years... then took an early retirement. :facepalm:

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

The problem is they will not PAY for occasional damage. I understand speed, efficiency, and six sigma (striving for 100% perfection/zero error) and that it is virtually impossible to achieve; however, own up and pay! Why must I be the one to eat your fuckup, UPS? I am tired of it.

I've received restitution for damaged packages from UPS on a couple of occasions. I've personally never had an issue in that regard, but it is QUITE the pain in the ass.

My issue is that I am the shipper and have to rely on the recipient to provide adequate documentation. Since generally they are eBay transactions the recipients are Pissed Off and will do little to support my damage claims--just give me back my money--asshole...

You know, I am very weary of eBay as well....

Steve Force,

Durham, North Carolina

--------

My Professional Websites

I've received restitution or damaged packages from UPS on a couple of occasions. I've personally never had an issue in that regard, but it is QUITE the pain in the ass.

PITA isn't an issue? Seems a bit contradictory.

It takes guts to admit you work at their hub. It can't be pretty.

--wmp

The issue I have with FedEx is that they use subcontractors, and you never know who they are, and FedEx will not take responsibility for their actions. For example, awhile back I ordered new blinds, which were shipped FedEx. They were reported as delivered but they weren't delivered here. When I called FedEx I asked them to call the driver (which UPS will do). I then learned that that weirdo shaped packages are delivered by a third party (not FedEx, and not the USPS). The person on the 800 line told me there was no way for FedEx to contact the delivery person because it was a third party and it was out of their hands. I was very disappointed in how they refused to take any responsibility at all for the situation. The blinds turned up two days later. I missed the driver so I didn't get to her what his story was. About a month later when I ordered more blinds, and the exact same thing happened - blinds arrived two days after the reported delivery date. I'm gonna guess that the subcontractor receives an incentive for on-time delivery, so they mark everything as delivered on-time but actually deliver stuff whenever they damn well please. Say what you want about UPS, but the package never leaves their possession.

I've had very good luck with the USPS too. Priority Mail is usually cheaper than UPS or FedEx ground, and from coast to coast takes 2-3 days, as opposed to 7 for UPS and FedEx. Never had anything lost. Big ticket stuff gets insured through stamps.com. I do all my international shipments USPS International Priority. USPS tracking is still inferior, but it's gotten a lot better in the past year or so.

I find UPS tracking to be superior too. It must be different in the UK, but here, with a tracking number, I can go online and see exactly where it's been, where it is, and when it will arrive.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Could it just be your local service center/driver?

UPS is my business lifeline. For the past 3 years, I average 4 100 pound shipments per week. They are incredibly 100% consistent here in California.

For my shipments out side CA, I have no gripes. Any delays are weather related. The few claims I have are quickly reimbursed.

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

I've received restitution or damaged packages from UPS on a couple of occasions. I've personally never had an issue in that regard, but it is QUITE the pain in the ass.

PITA isn't an issue? Seems a bit contradictory.

It takes guts to admit you work at their hub. It can't be pretty.

What I mean is that I've never had an issue with an item damaged in shipping that UPS refused to reimburse me for. The pain in the ass part just goes along with having to replace anything that's broken.

I worked at UPS a number of years ago. Past tense. The job itself is grunt work, as you'd expect, but was a good job, honestly. They give health benefits to part-time workers (in fact, I knew many people who worked there part-time solely for the benefits), and if you're a college student at the University of Louisville they have a program where they'll help pay off your tuition. That's how I ended up working there, actually.

I recently received 3 seperate UPS shipments on time no issues to Dallas Texas.....
Montage 7, Mojo 61, PC-3, XK-3c Pro, Kronos 88, Hammond SK-1, Motif XF- 7, Hammond SK-2, Roland FR-1, FR-18, Hammond B3 - Blond, Hammond BV -Cherry

Archived