Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: UPS is really slipping

Steve Force

FedEx can be confusing. FedEx Home, FedEx Air, and FedEx Business. All different. As someone said, FedEx home contracts out routes and tracking information always seems to be behind. If I have to use one I try to insist on FedEx Air.

I will say that UPS screwed me out of a small insurance claim, but I've had more damaged packages form FedEx.

This post edited for speling.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is also FedEx Express. At least around here there are FedEx Home delivery trucks. FedEx Home and FedEx Ground are run like franchises. Typically someone buys an area then hires drivers but they wear FedEx uniforms and are not a separate delivery company doing the deliveries for them.

USPS does not have any airplanes and relies on FedEx and UPS which are airlines. Some packages start at one and are delivered by another. You won't see anything going between UPS and FedEx but sometimes USPS gets there hands on FedEx and UPS packages. Sometimes FedEx or UPS will have a hand on USPS package shipping and/or delivering.

BTW, Those arrows on boxes that indicate "This Side Up" are not meant to insure that the box is kept in that orientation. They are there so no one opens the box upside down. If you ship anything that has to be kept in a certain orientation you are a fool using a general parcel service. None of them are set up to take that kind of individual care for packages.

Things are handled in mass volume as you should expect (i.e. conveyor belts, boxes quickly stacked against other boxes and often more than once as they are transferred to various trucks, some heavier boxes will come in contact with lighter boxes, things are handled roughly.....not necessarily mishandled but not treated as though they are filled with slumbering kittens. We have all heard about and/or experienced mishaps incurring loss or damage. This is shipping reality.

Side not: USPS is the absolute worst. No idea whatsoever where it is, if it still exists, and if so, when it will arrive...it just falls into an indefinite void.

When shipping UPS, I often use the UPS store, which is actually NOT UPS, it's a totally separate private business, which is a little misleading....but they are always very friendly, quick, and reliable, though VERY expensive (I try to make sure I use my own packing materials and don't have to pay for theirs).

Incidentally, that reminds me of another issue....shipping laptops. I work from home and my company is in Boulder, CO. So when it's time to get a hew laptop, IT has very specific instructions as to how to package the ok'd laptop, send next day air, they clone it to the new one,band next day air it back. Fed Ex says no, we won't ship a laptop that way. You HAVE to use our laptop carrier. But my IT says it MUST be sent like this (show them the instructions). Nope, won't do it. UPS will.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I find UPS tracking to be superior too. It must be different in the UK, but here, with a tracking number, I can go online and see exactly where it's been, where it is, and when it will arrive.

When my guitar went missing, I had a tracking number, and a location. The problem was, it wasn't at the location that the computer said it was at, and UPS didn't know where it was!

SSM

Occasionally, do something nice for a total stranger. They'll wonder what the hell is going on!

My issue is that I am the shipper and have to rely on the recipient to provide adequate documentation. Since generally they are eBay transactions the recipients are Pissed Off and will do little to support my damage claims--just give me back my money--asshole...

You know, I am very weary of eBay as well....

I feel for you Steve, you as a small time shipper, not as a recipient, are treated the same as GC etc, UPS, Fedex etc, expect that their shippers will eat the cost of any damage on arrival in the interest of maintaining customer goodwill.

Most of the responses here are from a receivers perspective. I dont sell much stuff and can therefore take the position that it is buyer collect on an as is, where is, basis. But with the eBay precedent dominated by businesses that position may not be sustainable. What is needed, but unlikely to happen, is that small shippers of gear and in particular second hand gear, need a reliable shipper and adequate hassle free refunds where the shipper stuffs up

MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

Though I haven't received any damaged shipment from either, I'll take UPS over FedEx every time.

If no one is home, UPS will either leave the package on the door step, back of the house or with a neighbor. If a signature is required, I can go to the local delivering terminal and easily pick up my package.

FedEx will often not leave packages on the door step and will never leave it with a neighbor. I've had to go the local delivery terminal and suffice it to say they are not set up for that AT ALL. Very cumbersome and painful experience. Their phone number is not even listed. To reach them via phone, you have to call the nationwide 800 number, then try to 'back door' into the local terminal.

As Dan said, UPS's website is freakin' awesome and contains accurate, up-to-date info.

When I contacted FedEx for instructions on how to pick up a shipment at the terminal I was told three different things by three different people. They don't have it figured out.

Greg

Kurzweil Forte, Yamaha Motif ES7, Muse Receptor 2 Pro Max, Neo Ventilator

USPS tracking is absolutely useless. I'm currently tracking a package being sent to me via USPS, and the best they can give me for the expected delivery date is sometime between Monday, February 10 and Friday, February 14. I guess we can at least eliminate two of those days, since it didn't come yesterday or today. The last update on its location was four days ago. :facepalm:

Thanks so much for "tracking" my package.

U...via USPS, and the best they can give me for the expected delivery date is sometime between Monday, February 10 and Friday, February 14.

Is it any wonder they're losing money??

Kurzweil Forte, Yamaha Motif ES7, Muse Receptor 2 Pro Max, Neo Ventilator

U...via USPS, and the best they can give me for the expected delivery date is sometime between Monday, February 10 and Friday, February 14.

Is it any wonder they're losing money??

losing $4 Million US Dollars a day 7 days a week

KLONK

:nopity:

USPS is the absolute worst.

Agreed. Four years ago, my company foolishly tried to use USPS for product shipments. Horrible service, useless tracking extra and effort on our part. We gave up and switched to UPS. Better service, excellent tracking, easier and less expensive.

Regarding recent UPS poor service: they're getting hit real hard with weather delays in some regions. This results in more employee stress and less attention-to-detail. Overall, UPS is king.

Steve Coscia

My point is that UPS is slipping; meaning, I held them in the highest regard. You all start eating financially their carelessness and I an sure you will change your tune.

As far as I'm concerned, they've always been a PITA. Thoroughly uncooperative when trying to re-route a package or schedule a pick-up at one of their warehouses.

My point is that UPS is slipping; meaning, I held them in the highest regard. You all start eating financially their carelessness and I an sure you will change your tune.

As far as I'm concerned, they've always been a PITA. Thoroughly uncooperative when trying to re-route a package or schedule a pick-up at one of their warehouses.

They are a typical huge corp. They are too big to be all things to all people. Thus they slip on individual requests, individual transactions.

They have the various UPS franchise/retail stores. ( here in CA). Those stores are organized to do all the hand holding, individual services to consumers.

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

Side not: USPS is the absolute worst. No idea whatsoever where it is, if it still exists, and if so, when it will arrive...it just falls into an indefinite void.

When shipping UPS, I often use the UPS store, which is actually NOT UPS, it's a totally separate private business, which is a little misleading....but they are always very friendly, quick, and reliable, though VERY expensive (I try to make sure I use my own packing materials and don't have to pay for theirs).

Incidentally, that reminds me of another issue....shipping laptops. I work from home and my company is in Boulder, CO. So when it's time to get a hew laptop, IT has very specific instructions as to how to package the ok'd laptop, send next day air, they clone it to the new one,band next day air it back. Fed Ex says no, we won't ship a laptop that way. You HAVE to use our laptop carrier. But my IT says it MUST be sent like this (show them the instructions). Nope, won't do it. UPS will.

their tracking is minimal. as far as point a to B, it is only an estimate.

I do a lot of 1st class, Priority and media mail.

Priority service is flawless in the US. Something like $5 for a 2 pound item ( 9" x 12") and $12 for next size larger.

1st class is also flawless. $3 or less to send something ( under 16 oz) to anywhere in the US . Received in 2 or 3 days pending bad weather.

Media mail is slow slow but a great bargain for sending heavier text books. If I went UPS for a 5 lb textbook, it would be $20, for ground ( 3-4 days). With USPS media that would be $5 , more like 5 or 6 days.

Some of you know USPS is not established to be a for profit corporation. The losses are somewhat due to various pension, union obligations. USPS has also greatly cut back on staff, reduced hours of prior FT people, basically its a difficult work environment.

So if you expect perfection and speed 24/7, USPS may not work for you. But it is still a great bargain, if you can take a step back

[70's Songwriter]

Monday I post that I have received more damaged boxes from FedEx than UPS.

Tuesday this is on my porch when I get home from work.

http://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/bb477/Frankensynth/WP_20140211_001.jpg

http://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/bb477/Frankensynth/WP_20140211_002.jpg

http://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/bb477/Frankensynth/WP_20140211_004.jpg

Two bath robes and a Logitech Harmony Smart Control. Luckily the dent was on the side of the box with the robes. UPS really knows where to damage boxes. :)

Monday I post that I have received more damaged boxes from FedEx than UPS.

Tuesday this is on my porch when I get home from work.

http://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/bb477/Frankensynth/WP_20140211_001.jpg

http://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/bb477/Frankensynth/WP_20140211_002.jpg

http://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/bb477/Frankensynth/WP_20140211_004.jpg

Two bath robes and a Logitech Harmony Smart Control. Luckily the dent was on the side of the box with the robes. UPS really knows where to damage boxes. :)

or was it amazons ( ?) choice of flimsy boxes.

I shipped over 10 star wars light sabers as gifts last December. These are over 3 feet long, very narrow and easy to break in half. I used narrow reinforced 4 foot boxes for the toys and made sure they did not rattle around. UPS handled every light saber perfectly- no breakage.

If I used a flimsy box, I am sure they would have gotten trashed. But why be part of the problem when you know how a shipper works ?

[70's Songwriter]

They have the various UPS franchise/retail stores. ( here in CA). Those stores are organized to do all the hand holding, individual services to consumers.

No, they aren't. They are an additional fee franchise "Value-Add" that only makes the initial drop off easier. They will *not" back shipments, unless they package for you at an exorbitant price. I avoid them and go straight to the depot. Helps that I live in a Major city.

Steve Force,

Durham, North Carolina

--------

My Professional Websites

No, they aren't. They are an additional fee franchise "Value-Add" that only makes the initial drop off easier. They will *not" back shipments, unless they package for you at an exorbitant price. I avoid them and go straight to the depot. Helps that I live in a Major city.

yes, and you can negotiate with them( the retail stores). They will give you 20% off, just for asking.

Since I do a lot of volume, I get a large discount.

[70's Songwriter]

20% off of what? UPS Shipping? I get better than that having an account. I am not criticizing the stores--they perform a service.

yeah. The franchise stores. If someone has a simple ground shipment. They walk in, franchise store says $50. Ask for a discount. They will likely take off up to $10.

And I have an account, so everything is automatic, big discount. Scan, ship, get my receipt, done.

[70's Songwriter]

or was it amazons ( ?) choice of flimsy boxes.

My guess is they had that box on the bottom of a stack and it collapsed under the weight. It looks like it caved in rather than taking a hit.

20% off of what? UPS Shipping? I get better than that having an account. I am not criticizing the stores--they perform a service.

yeah. The franchise stores. If someone has a simple ground shipment. They walk in, franchise store says $50. Ask for a discount. They will likely take off up to $10.

And I have an account, so everything is automatic, big discount. Scan, ship, get my receipt, done.

Cool. thanks.

Steve Force,

Durham, North Carolina

--------

My Professional Websites

Archived