Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Ravenscroft: new VILabs piano

SK

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply
what's left to do with the product?

Can't say for sure, but every new version they send me has been noticeably better. For example, on the last one they sent, (Ravenscroft 275#2) I had a small issue with the sustain pedal noise, and they wrote back immediately, said they agreed and would fix it in in the next update. There are also some issues being resolved with the web page and the posting of audio examples that have nothing to do with the library itself. I firmly believe this is worth the wait and then some.

BTW: I have another thread going where I'm trying to remember a Randy Newman song. I just posted a Soundcloud recording, and it occurs to me that (although I didn't do anything but load the "Close" position and go), I did use the most recent Ravenscroft Beta for the file. I don't think it will break any new ground. The demos that are already in this thread do a nice job of showing it off, but I figured someone might like to know.

Great playing and great piano sound, Steve. Can't wait to get my hands on Ravenscroft. The only software piano I've had is NI's Akoustik Piano, which I like. Unlike some of you here, I don't already own every soft piano known to man. So I'm hoping Ravenscroft can be my one and only.

check this out, on TK website:

Ravenscroft 275 VI is now ready! March 02nd, 2014

Great news! While we apologize for the delay in the release of the Ravenscroft 275 Virtual Instrument, we are happy to announce that it is finished and that all pre-sale orders will be delivered on March 4, 2014. New features and improvements have been added and required thorough testing before it could be released. It is now complete and is a piano virtual instrument we are all very proud of.

All pre-sale orders will be delivered on March 4th, and the pre-sale price will remain in effect until March 5th which will conclude our pre-sale period. We are also adding new audio demos and videos, so keep checking back as the days to come will be very exciting at VI Labs. Thank you to all those who have ordered and for your patience as we have made the Ravenscroft 275 Virtual Instrument one of the best virtual pianos ever!

Great news. T-minus 3 days and counting ... to get my fundage together at the pre-sale price.

Hardware:
Yamaha
: MODX7 | Korg: Kronos 88, Wavestate | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe | Roland: Jupiter-Xm, Cloud Pro, TD-9K V-Drums | Alesis: StrikePad Pro|
Behringer: Crave, Poly D, XR-18, RX1602 | CPS: SpaceStation SSv2 | 
Controllers: ROLI RISE 49 | Arturia KeyLab Essentials 88, KeyLab 61, MiniLab | M-Audio KeyStation 88 & 49 | Akai EWI USB |
Novation LaunchPad Mini, |
Guitars & Such: Line 6 Variax, Helix LT, POD X3 Live, Martin Acoustic, DG Strat Copy, LP Sunburst Copy, Natural Tele Copy|
Squier Precision 5-String Bass | Mandolin | Banjo | Ukulele

Software:
Recording
: MacBook Pro | Mac Mini | Logic Pro X | Mainstage | Cubase Pro 12 | Ableton Live 11 | Monitors: M-Audio BX8 | Presonus Eris 3.5BT Monitors | Slate Digital VSX Headphones & ML-1 Mic | Behringer XR-18 & RX1602 Mixers | Beyerdynamics DT-770 & DT-240
Arturia: V-Collection 9 | Native Instruments: Komplete 1 Standard | Spectrasonics: Omnisphere 2, Keyscape, Trilian | Korg: Legacy Collection 4 | Roland: Cloud Pro | GForce: Most all of their plugins | u-he: Diva, Hive 2, Repro, Zebra Legacy | AAS: Most of their VSTs |
IK Multimedia: SampleTank 4 Max, Sonik Synth, MODO Drums & Bass | Cherry Audio: Most of their VSTs |

Quick question. Can you load the VST on your boot drive and load the samples on another drive? I'm asking because I have a SSD as my boot drive that is getting full fast (thanks to Komplete dammit)(okay, and Trilian too).Actually I did that with Trilian. The samples are on a 2TB 7200rpm secondary drive. I think I did the same thing when I installed Komplete 9 but not quite sure yet. Haven't had much time to play with either.

Hardware:
Yamaha
: MODX7 | Korg: Kronos 88, Wavestate | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe | Roland: Jupiter-Xm, Cloud Pro, TD-9K V-Drums | Alesis: StrikePad Pro|
Behringer: Crave, Poly D, XR-18, RX1602 | CPS: SpaceStation SSv2 | 
Controllers: ROLI RISE 49 | Arturia KeyLab Essentials 88, KeyLab 61, MiniLab | M-Audio KeyStation 88 & 49 | Akai EWI USB |
Novation LaunchPad Mini, |
Guitars & Such: Line 6 Variax, Helix LT, POD X3 Live, Martin Acoustic, DG Strat Copy, LP Sunburst Copy, Natural Tele Copy|
Squier Precision 5-String Bass | Mandolin | Banjo | Ukulele

Software:
Recording
: MacBook Pro | Mac Mini | Logic Pro X | Mainstage | Cubase Pro 12 | Ableton Live 11 | Monitors: M-Audio BX8 | Presonus Eris 3.5BT Monitors | Slate Digital VSX Headphones & ML-1 Mic | Behringer XR-18 & RX1602 Mixers | Beyerdynamics DT-770 & DT-240
Arturia: V-Collection 9 | Native Instruments: Komplete 1 Standard | Spectrasonics: Omnisphere 2, Keyscape, Trilian | Korg: Legacy Collection 4 | Roland: Cloud Pro | GForce: Most all of their plugins | u-he: Diva, Hive 2, Repro, Zebra Legacy | AAS: Most of their VSTs |
IK Multimedia: SampleTank 4 Max, Sonik Synth, MODO Drums & Bass | Cherry Audio: Most of their VSTs |

For many here, the question is: "What are you guys hearing that makes this so good?"

Compare what you hear in the Ravenscroft against the latest samples in the hardware instruments (please).

I'm just about curious enough to go ahead and order this, but I would really like to hear (from SK, Steve Nathan, Mark Schmieder, and Busch) what is it about this particular product that's so special?

Thanks!

Tom

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

It would be amusing to find that when released it is on par with all the other top line VSTi pianos...this whole thing seems to be quite typical of the hype cycle preceding most new releases (hardware as well) . Not on the forum, but from manufacturers and developers.

In a way I agree with Itgitc - I am hearing nothing that much different to other instruments. Just what is the "kicker" with this one (VILabs)?

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

I'm not sure it needs to be "better" than other VST pianos, just different enough to fulfill a particular role. I have started using Pianoteq live, and while it provides an amazing playing experience, way beyond most current hardware offerings, I would also like a VST that lends itself more to jazz: very crisp, with a clean/clear attack. From the demos, the Ravenscroft would appear to deliver on that front - at least it appears to be more suited than Galaxy Vintage D, for example, which was also in contention for me.

I was sold with Ruslan's demo. You can see his touch and hear the dynamics/response that they nailed and I can see/hear his connection to "the instrument" and the harmony is nice/clear/even.

Quick question. Can you load the VST on your boot drive and load the samples on another drive? I'm asking because I have a SSD as my boot drive that is getting full fast (thanks to Komplete dammit)(okay, and Trilian too).Actually I did that with Trilian. The samples are on a 2TB 7200rpm secondary drive. I think I did the same thing when I installed Komplete 9 but not quite sure yet. Haven't had much time to play with either.

no expert here.

FWIW, I just got my first SW piano program, Ivory II American D.

based on what I was told by experts, I put the application on my HDD boot drive, and the sample library (~ 45 GB's) on an SSD that I installed as a secondary storage drive on my laptop.

For many here, the question is: "What are you guys hearing that makes this so good?"

Compare what you hear in the Ravenscroft against the latest samples in the hardware instruments (please).

I'm just about curious enough to go ahead and order this, but I would really like to hear (from SK, Steve Nathan, Mark Schmieder, and Busch) what is it about this particular product that's so special?

Thanks!

Tom

To my ears, it just sounds better than the rest, richer, broader, more real. I also think it responds more realistically, not so much in the curves they're using, but in the quality of the samples across the dynamic range. Play it with a delicate touch and it sounds like it should, play it hard and it sounds right too. Somewhere in the middle? Same thing. It never sounds like your hearing samples of a higher velocity just being played back at a lower volume or visa versa, and it does this (to my ears) no matter how hard or soft I'm hitting the keys. Not sure how they've done this, but it works for me.

Of course, these are subjective observations. I know some folks will love this and others may hate it. I'm not here to tell anyone what to buy, just giving my opinion, and for whatever that's worth, this is now my go to virtual piano. I expect to use it the most. I'll still load their American Grand for some songs, their German for others. I'll still load one of my uprights when it's called for (though I was able to approximate a really nice "Barroom" sound with just the Sample Shift & Tone knobs). But this one will get the most use when I want the next best thing to a real acoustic.

Thanks Steve, just one question, if you know it...has there been any word on if the Ravenscroft will do away with *that* hardware device? Not starting any whys or wherefores just asking is all.

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Excellent - then this will be on the shopping list I think. Your last comments about the way it plays across the entire keyboard now has me convinced.

Thanks Steve,

Dennis

Thanks!

Tom

Tom, a piano sound is a hard thing to describe. I concur with everything Steve Nathan said, and what Linwood said about the Ruslan video. Near the end of that video, you can see he's honestly knocked out with the sound.

The main difference I hear in Vi Labs' stuff from other samples I've heard or used, is mostly in the presence and solidity of the sound. There are some beautiful pianos sampled out there but they sound more distant like a recording of a piano, not as much like one you're playing right in front of you.

About the Ravenscroft 275, I'll give you a full answer in two days or less.

OK. I've got this old Kurzweil PC2X with D-Bon's favorite: The Kurzweil Triple-Strike piano samples!

Hi D-Bon. :wave:

I'm OK with the action on this board, so I'm thinking that if I use it as a controller with Ravenscroft, I'll be better off for it.

I've got the Nord Electro 3 HP, but that's primarily for transporting to gigs, jams, etc.

I'm OK with the variety of grand piano samples that Nord offers, but as excited as you guys are about Ravenscroft, I'm thinking that it will put any and all of the Nord samples to shame. Right?

So, for $150 USD I can pair the Kurzweil PC2X with the Ravenscroft and be in digital piano heaven.

Does anyone here see my logic?

It's $150 for a really nice replacement for the Triple-Strike.

...seems like a no-brainer to me.

I know Steve Nathan, Linwood, and SK will agree. That pretty much seals the deal for me. However, just for grins, I'd like to hear what you other guys are thinking.

Are you going to go for it too?

Tom

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

I really like how this sounds, but I really can't justify it since 99% of my playing is live. Did I say I really like how this sounds?

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

OK. I've got this old Kurzweil PC2X with D-Bon's favorite: The Kurzweil Triple-Strike piano samples!

Hi D-Bon. :wave:

I'm OK with the action on this board, so I'm thinking that if I use it as a controller with Ravenscroft, I'll be better off for it.

I've got the Nord Electro 3 HP, but that's primarily for transporting to gigs, jams, etc.

I'm OK with the variety of grand piano samples that Nord offers, but as excited as you guys are about Ravenscroft, I'm thinking that it will put any and all of the Nord samples to shame. Right?

So, for $150 USD I can pair the Kurzweil PC2X with the Ravenscroft and be in digital piano heaven.

Does anyone here see my logic?

It's $150 for a really nice replacement for the Triple-Strike.

...seems like a no-brainer to me.

I know Steve Nathan, Linwood, and SK will agree. That pretty much seals the deal for me. However, just for grins, I'd like to hear what you other guys are thinking.

Are you going to go for it too?

Tom

Same here - except swap out the Kurz for a yammie moxf :)

My controller is a motif too. I've been involved in a few things where Ruslan played the keys on the stuff this year. He's a great player. When I saw his hands hit it, I was sold. My only problem is the demo license runs out on my uad 610's and the Maag this week. Not sure which monkey will win this one.

Hi Tom! :wave: What'cha drinkin'?

I've decided it's 'Be Nice to Kurzweil' year. Now that they have a super new piano sample, my lambasting is over. :thu:

I think you should pull the trigger on the Ravenscroft. :cool:

Hi Tom? :wave: What'cha drinkin'?

I've decided it's 'Be Nice to Kurzweil' year. Now that they have a super new piano sample, my lambasting is over. :thu:

NOooooooooo!!! :taz:

How could I have graduated from triple-strike hell had you not let me in on the secret, Dana? Everything was copacetic. Then you opened my eyes to the glory of fleeting DP audio goodness, provoking my intellectual curiosity until my wallet screamed to be released from being imprisoned in my back pocket thus allowing my entrance into the wonderful world of the VSTi!

I can only imagine... Without your lambasting and constant reminders, it would be a day without sunshine. Toads and lizards would rain from the sky. Dave Ferris would go back to playing through a Roland KC. Joey D would renew his contract with Magnus. Eric would take to wearing nothing but a dirty T-shirt to corporate gigs. And SK would dress only in a tuque and a smile & constantly be repeating, "Eh?"

Errrr, thanks Dana.

Oh...

Maker's Mark. Neat. :cool:

Archived