Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Ravenscroft: new VILabs piano

SK

A fair amount of talk here, but good to hear more of the piano sample.

[video:youtube]

Hard to tell everything from a demo. Being really picky about personal taste: a few notes around an octave above middle C sound a little bright to me, but the rest of the piano sounds incredible. And I'm sure the tone knob can attenuate that.

If there was ever a time to use the term "game changer"... always great when technology gets a bump.

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The demos sound fantastic, but it thought that about True Keys, and have not been able to connect with the American Grand after purchasing. My application though, is strictly for live use, and I prefer mono for that.

I have an acoustic in my studio, and most of the commercial studios I frequent have pianos as well. So, I don't think I need what this excels at, which is the ability to record and then mix and match the mic perspectives.

Moog The One, VV 64 EP, Wurlies 200A 140 7300, Forte 7, Mojo 61, OB-6, Prophet 6, Polaris, Hammond A100, Farfisa VIP, ,Young Chang 6', Voyager, E7 Clav, Midiboard, Linnstrument, Seaboard

Wow. I am blown away by how balanced the Ravenscroft 275 sounds -- perfect for jazz! I've been using Pianoteq with the Yamaha YC5 add-on for jazz, but it's a compromise as that isn't my favorite piano sound for jazz but it simply works better for me than most Steinway emulations or sample sets or any of the other choices.

I grew up on several Mason & Hamlin baby grands in the family (we had Steinways as well but I preferred the bracing of the M&H and how the whole piano resonates as you play it, giving wonderful tactile feedback) and it's still my favorite for almost any genre but especially for jazz. This Ravenscroft comes the closest yet to that well-balanced sound that never goes too brilliant or honky whether playing softly or playing loud.

Even at $50, $150 is a bit much for me at the moment as I have spent more money in the past few months than in almost my entire life beforehand (I've also sold more stuff than ever, so on balance I haven't really put out that much cash, but the timing has often been tricky due to clearance time for received payments and super-short deadlines on many sales for virtual instruments or even hardware instruments).

Still, I'll have to make this happen, as there's only a few days left to the sale. And I didn't care for their other pianos all that much either, but that was from the demos as well as playing them in MachFive, so in my case I feel I can trust the demos in making my judgment (though Eric's is far better than the other ones -- he could probably make a kazoo sound like a violin!).

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

I meant to add that the biggest difference with Eric's demo may be judicious use of the sustain pedal; whereas I recall the other demos having more staccato style playing.

Many times a piano library falls down on staccato playing where it may shine when using the sustain pedal. This is also true of real pianos, however, and is why many artists prefer using different brands for classical vs. romantic for example.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

This sounds VERY interesting.....

The piano character seems to come across quite well in the video demos.

If this is the package I have been holding out for, I am completely unfamiliar and inexperienced with using software sounds of any kind.

So would someone mind telling me what I would need in addition to a laptop that would have enough power to run this? For whatever reason, the people at VI Labs do not provide this info on the website. I guess they assume that we would already know.

So I guess I need to know what type of interface cords I would need, or if I need a certain soundcard etc.etc.

I am kind of sick of trying out board after board only to find out that there really hasn't been that much improvement in most of them. I would like to have something that is really satisfying. There is some indication that this could be it.

Any help appreciated...

It's free; UVI Workstation, which is a sample playback engine that runs in standalone mode on your Mac or Windows desktop as well as in plug-in mode in an audio recording program. It should be fairly simple and straightforward to set up.

For those who own MOTU's MachFive, the slightly richer user experience of that sampler can be used as it is built atop UVI Workstation 9and indeed many of its factory patches were programmed by VI Labs).

Just to reiterate: this is NOT a Kontakt library so does not require purchasing additional software to run, unless I've misinterpreted their on-line specs/requirements.

VI does mention I lock on their tutorial video but I assume that ( or hoping) that the I lock is no longer relevant.

I seem to recall something on the video about the UVI workstation. So would that playback engine be required to run this?

I spoke to someone a bit further about this and it turns out that 4 gigs of RAM is the MINIMUM that can be run with this. Generally they are suggesting 8 GIG. WOW.

I am going to have to do some shopping around. Either that or I may have to settle for something less for now.

On the other hand....my guess is that it is fairly amazing sound wise. 8 gig of RAM should certainly should provide some sonic detail, which we are generally missing in some of the commercial products.

LX88, I believe that means 4G is enough to run the program properly - 8 or more is optimal. It shouldn't be a problem with 4G.

This will probably come with a lite version as well, like their True Keys does. In TK, if you load the lite version the sound quality is the same, but you don't get the half pedal/una corda.

4 gig computers are fairly common and afforadble. Because this would be my first plunge into software, I don't want to dump a bunch of money into the total cost. Not until I am sure that a laptop or desktop solution makes sense to me.

As I said, I am tired of chasing new boards only to get not that much improvement.

I could live without half pedaling probably. I just want a good accurate, natural sound

I just want a good accurate, natural sound
Then it depends on your purpose. If it's just for recording and playing the piano at home, it's easily achieved, and you know what you need.

If you want to take it live to gigs, it depends on how accurate a sound you want (could be big bucks for the best sound system to fully/faithfully reproduce it.) From the display in the videos, Vi Labs used Focal 6 BE monitors - pricey, flat, reference quality. Fortunately, it should also sound good with less.

I would probably spend a lot of time at home practicing on it at first.

My guess is that a lot of people use it for recording too.

It's always been a bitch for me to get a good live sound on a digital AP with speakers. Then 9 times out of 10 you can't run stereo on a large stage - the sound people don't know what to do with it.

So I would start by playing at home with phones, and take it from there.

I ordered this to run on my i-mac. I just bumped it to 16 gb so there should be no problem there. I plan on using it in the studio and am eyeing up the VPC 1 to run pianos at home. Just gotta liquidate some gear for a new purchase!

"I  cried when I wrote this song
Sue me if I play too long"

Walter Becker Donald Fagan 1977 Deacon Blues

It would be great if somehow you could download

this for a short trial period to see how it sounds on equipment you have on hand. Is this not possible?

Perhaps someone else will tell me why I'm wrong, but this is a nearly 40 gig sample library. That's gotta make it hard to offer a "demo" version that shows anywhere near it's true measure.

You're not wrong, Steve. :)

Most (all?) multi-gig sample libraries don't offer trials.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Most (all?) multi-gig sample libraries don't offer trials.

Which is why Pianoteq does. wink

Pianoteq is not a sample library. It's physically modeled and requires very little space in comparison.

I ordered it last night after reading more testimonies on the piano forum (I forget what it's called; I only ever look at it via Google searches). I will be very surprised if it doesn't satisfy, even though so far I haven't liked any piano sample libraries (especially Ivory and EWQL) except surprisingly the Sampletekk stuff (which Nord uses as well).

My feeling is it is different enough from the pianos that Pianoteq models that I won't find it redundant with that VI. Also, as I mentioned earlier, it is rare that a piano VI does equally well at staccato and sostenuto playing, and with Pianoteq I use a fair number of different models (program-dependent) rather than sticking to the Steinway model or any of the other models exclusively.

Something I noticed immediately while listening to Ruslan's demo is that I could hear the sound of the notes interacting with the body of the piano. The air and the wood are audible. For me, that's an essential component to realism, and I haven't heard any other piano samples capture it as convincingly as this does.

Something else I noticed is that the mid-range sounds particularly mid-rangey. Is that a characteristic of the Ravenscroft sound?

I hear the same thing. It sounds to me like mostly richer harmonics in the samples, and then the room mics would add some of that air/wood quality.

The mid range is pronounced - I'm glad it is. Vi Labs said the piano has an "edgy" sound... perhaps that means "lively". Maybe someone who has actually played the acoustic can chime in... I've only heard it in the demos.

I've played the acoustic Ravenscroft...

It's a stunningly beautiful looking piano, but the sound of it is much smaller than its physical size. It *sounds* and *feels* small, almost muted.

it's kind of like sitting in a sports car that looks like a ferrari, but when you drive it, it drives like a Kia.

I really wanted to like it because I like everything about its backstory. But sadly it's just no competition for the established brands. :idk

I really wanted to like it because I like everything about its backstory. But sadly it's just no competition for the established brands. :idk

which established brands exactly are you referring to? :idk

all of them really :idk:

obviously steinway, but also yamaha, baldwin, the major european brands... the usual suspects.

Archived