Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Ravenscroft: new VILabs piano

SK

OK.

I know Steve Nathan, Linwood, and SK will agree. That pretty much seals the deal for me. However, just for grins, I'd like to hear what you other guys are thinking.

Are you going to go for it too?

Tom

I'm not in. Sticking with Pianoteq. Happy with the Bluthner and the upright U4. I want play ability more than accuracy. That's just me. As alyways, YMMV. This piano definitely sounds like a bargain at $150.00 however. I can see how the whole world would want it.

:nopity:

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not going to buy just now either. I certainly think it's worth the money; but I already have all of the Ivory titles, so I'm not exactly hurting in the sampled piano department.

I'd rather spend money on the areas in which my studio is most deficient; so even if this VI Labs release is the best there is, it'll have to wait.

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

While I'm really enjoying True Pianos and Ivory II, I'm convinced that no sampled piano set is right for every situation. I don't have much experience with the modeled piano to make the same claim (demo only) but what I've heard shows me similar. IMO no matter how much tweaking is done we will always find that note or notes that don't seem just right for whatever reason; odd resonance in the sample recording, thin/muddy sound in some register, velocity mapping deficiency etc. And if you don't notice it yourself, someone will point it out to you in a magazine review or elsewhere. It's like enjoying a song for years...until someone points out the cowbell in the background. :mad:

Of course all of these products are perfect (and the best) until the next version comes out. Still, what's available is pretty damn good including those from VI Labs.

Hi! I've been playing for a couple of hours... I've downloaded the 4 rar files, expanded to a ufs file (32.6 GB). I've installed iLock Manager, UVI Workstation(x64), authorized in VILabs site and transferred the license to my computer via iLock.

The interface is clear and easy to understand. At first I was somewhat expecting a different sound but then I realized that I only had enabled the close mic position. When I enabled the other mic positions I was truly blown away! WOW!! I'm glad I pre-ordered it!

Now its time to tweak and try different configurations... I´ll be busy for a few days :-)

Tom, a piano sound is a hard thing to describe. I concur with everything Steve Nathan said, and what Linwood said about the Ruslan video. Near the end of that video, you can see he's honestly knocked out with the sound.

The main difference I hear in Vi Labs' stuff from other samples I've heard or used, is mostly in the presence and solidity of the sound. There are some beautiful pianos sampled out there but they sound more distant like a recording of a piano, not as much like one you're playing right in front of you.

About the Ravenscroft 275, I'll give you a full answer in two days or less.

OK. I'm downloading Ravenscroft275.part01.rar now. Three more parts to go.

I'm installing this stand-alone on my Windows 8.1 machine instead of my MacBook Air, primarily because of the file size.

This is my first VSTi and I'm looking forward to comparing it to the Kurzweil PC2X Triple-Strike, as well as the Nord pianos.

I haven't been too picky in the past - knowing that the hardware-based ROMplers have a limited amount of storage. Now I get to be picky! :evil:

Stand by while I finish the installation.

I'm going to the kitchen...

Anybody want a beer while we're waiting? :cool:

Thanks Steve!

Tom

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

I'm going to the kitchen...

Anybody want a beer while we're waiting? :cool:

sure Tom, I'll have one with ya!

Excellent!

OK. I've downloaded 4 of 4. Not sure what to do next.

Oh yeah... go back to the kitchen and get Dave a beer! :cool:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Hey Tom, enjoy! My quick review: no disappointments.

Everybody hears things differently and not everyone has the same expectations for what a good piano sound should be. With the Ravenscroft software, with mixing 4 mic positions and tone, timbre and velocity adjustments, its impossible to explore all the possibilities instantly. It has the potential to sound like a dozen different pianos... so it would be a mistake for anyone to judge this piano very quickly.

A thanks to the nice, patient folks at Vi Labs and to Steve Nathans honest impressions. A secret: after I pre-ordered it several days ago Vi Labs surprised me by kindly advancing me an earlier beta version of the piano, before final tweaks were applied. As much as I wanted to, I wouldn't say anything about it as long as the release date wasn't firm. Now that Ive played it for a while my impressions are solid, and happy to get todays release, the latest tweaked version everyone will have.

I can only speak about this as a pianist, not as a technician. What stands out to me, beyond the nice features/controls, is the consistent quality and responsive performance. Not just another sample that sounds like a piano... it sounds like a beautiful piano with its own tone and character. It's the same sound as in Ruslans video, with rich harmonics and resonance. When you play a really nice acoustic, you can bask in the sound of a single note. This sample is getting into that same territory.

Youll need a good action controller, good speakers/headphones, and adequate computing power to get the most out of this. The better the gear, the better it performs.

Some new features I like: the stereo widener/narrower with flip mode is a very nice effect. And the tone knob and new timbre shift can dramatically make the piano as bright or dark as you'd need.

The new room mics definitely add more realism and body to the piano, although I won't use much of it because I prefer a more closely mic'ed, intimate sound.

One unique thing is the effect the polyphony has on the various resonances. It adds a lot to the beauty of the harmonics, more than Ive heard from other software. The multiple layers of harmonics, pedal resonance, etc. can really be dialed in, and it just sounds better and better. Try turning up these parameters, max polyphony, etc. - youll hear the difference.

Haven't gotten to the muted strikes/silent strike stuff yet. I'll use this piano about 100% of the time (there was an instance where I kept a TK American piano on a recording because of it's solid, but less harmonic, sound.

End of 'mini-review'. I don't think anyone who loves acoustic piano will be disappointed with this instrument. The quality and the extra effort Vi Labs and Ravenscroft spent on it shows.

Boy I am not sorry I have this VI in my hands. Happy as heck and have not even adjusted much at all. Despite a less than stellar controller, I think I can forget I am not playing the real thing. :)

"I  cried when I wrote this song
Sue me if I play too long"

Walter Becker Donald Fagan 1977 Deacon Blues

Sending a PM, Tom.

Thanks Steve.

I'm up and running now, but getting a little latency running Windows 7 Presonus Firebox drivers on Windows 8.1 in compatibility mode.

I wonder if I change my buffer settings from 512, if that would help?

Thanks!

ITGITC: Are you using the ASIO driver? You shouldn't have any noticeable latency. You could search the forums for solutions or you could nag the manufacturer to release better drivers...

Forum mates: WOW!!! This VSTi really rocks! It really raised the bar for sampled piano libraries. I'm so glad I pre-ordered it. The sound and playability are topnotch.

For now, the only let down that I could find is that it doesn't take advantage of multicore cpus... but then again, this could be a matter of time. I'm still tweaking around and experimenting different settings and for the most of them, when trying, I simply loose the track of time. Yes, its that good!

Most certainly - 512 is way too high. Latency generally disappears around 128, and your firebox should let you go down to 64, or perhaps even less.

General rule of thumb for setting buffer size - find the number at which you start to hear pops and crackles, and go one level above. So if you begin hearing pops at 32, 64 should be ok. If you're using more plugins, then its safer to go higher.

Enjoy your new piano sound, Tom! :thu:

- Guru

This is really what MIDI was originally about encouraging cooperation between companies that make the world a more creative place." - Dave Smith

ITGITC?: Sampled pianos are resource hungry beasts. I don't know your rig specs but they need a fast CPU, loads of RAM, really fast HDDs (preferably SSD) and a proper soundboard.

I agree with Ashville.Guru, you should try the lowest buffer size that doesn't trigger pops and crackles.

Your soundboard seems to be good enough for the job. If you are experiencing problems you could try contacting directly the VILabs support. From my experience, they are super fast to reply to costumer inquiries.

Most certainly - 512 is way too high. Latency generally disappears around 128, and your firebox should let you go down to 64, or perhaps even less.

General rule of thumb for setting buffer size - find the number at which you start to hear pops and crackles, and go one level above. So if you begin hearing pops at 32, 64 should be ok. If you're using more plugins, then its safer to go higher.

Enjoy your new piano sound, Tom! :thu:

- Guru

Guru - I appreciate your advice.

512 is the default setting. I'll try 128, and then 64.

The Presonus Firebox driver was written for Windows 7. Although I'm using the compatibility mode for Windows 8.1, I doubt this would cause any problems since Win 7 and Win 8.1 are so similar. Right?

ITGITC?: Sampled pianos are resource hungry beasts. I don't know your rig specs but they need a fast CPU, loads of RAM, really fast HDDs (preferably SSD) and a proper soundboard.

I agree with Ashville.Guru, you should try the lowest buffer size that doesn't trigger pops and crackles.

Your soundboard seems to be good enough for the job. If you are experiencing problems you could try contacting directly the VILabs support. From my experience, they are super fast to reply to costumer inquiries.

mfiadeiro - thank you!

The current build includes a quad core intel i5 3570K (3.4 GHz) with 16 GB of RAM.

There are two SSDs in it. However, the piano files are on my (internal) Western Digital Black 7200 RPM 2 TB drive.

----

SK - thank you for working with me past midnight to get this up and running. I was too tired to listen to the pianos though. Everyone in the house was in bed. I'll print the manual and try again tonight.

You sent me the links below. Unfortunately, I saw the YouTube installation video but did NOT find the text (or that link to Ravenscroft Installation). Hmmmmm... Perhaps I was tired and overlooked it.

RAVENSCROFT INSTALLATION TEXT & VIDEO:

http://www.vilabsaudio.com/index.php?route=information/information&information_id=13

Windows RAR extraction app:

http://www.rarlab.com/download.htm

Again - thanks everybody!

Tom

Anybody try this in mono and/or through powered speakers (ie...for live use, not studio monitors)?
Moog The One, VV 64 EP, Wurlies 200A 140 7300, Forte 7, Mojo 61, OB-6, Prophet 6, Polaris, Hammond A100, Farfisa VIP, ,Young Chang 6', Voyager, E7 Clav, Midiboard, Linnstrument, Seaboard

My laptop runing Windows 8.1 has an i7-3635QM, 12 GB of RAM, 1TB SSD and a Infrasonic Amon usb sound board. I've configured a power profile optimized for live music (keep the cpu running at high frequency, disabled indexing and antivirus scanning, etc.). I don't perceive any latency lags and only ran into problems when testing glissandos in continuous sustain pedal down after enabling all available bells and whistles (all 4 simultaneous mic positions + una corda + half pedal + muted strikes...) And that was due to a CPU bottleneck...

But, for me, the most important aspect is how it sounds and plays. The tone and dynamic response are fantastic! I still have to try and experiment more configurations but I don't think I would change my current opinion: this is really a "primus inter pares".

Kudos to the VILabs team and to Michael Spreeman (creator of the physical piano). Well Done!

Archived