Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Rockin' out on the organ: the next generation

hurricane hugo

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Not for nothing, but" can anyone place a youtube here, for comparison sake? I am not a rock aficionado.. So I would like to hear who these young original band guys were being overshadowed by, please! Lay it on me.

I never paid attention to uriah heap, and purple whatever... so to my naive ears, I thought these young guys were playing well, very well maybe!

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

I think you guys are being to harsh, this is some good head bangin' rock music!

The recording posted above isn't that great sound-quality wise; the studio version sounds much better to my ears.

[video:youtube]uQyII5C3sYQ

Thanks for hipping me these guys, Hugo :thu:

wow.. very interesting! Multiple vocals are much much better in the vintage Purple!

B3 is utilized more as well !

I don't think the drumming is better though. I could be mistaken though. That young drummer would have been cool with the older band, no?

Better guitar solo too.. ok I got !!

Thank you kas

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

I just very briefly listened to the young monsters studio version... it is more modern, recorded differently, reflective of the 40 year difference in recording.

But I am not so sure it had something that those older dudes "had - have". I like the older dudes better.

A looseness that I love in any kind of music, just about.

Plus the original guys we listened to, were NOT in optimal recording situation, right, that was LIVE, and they sound THAT good.

Thanks for education, I am late to this kind of music, but I am receptive to any kind of well played music, and those older dudes are badasses.

These guys are carrying on a tradition of heavy rock bands that use actual audible keys,something rare these days. Definitely a 70's throwback. I salute them. Maybe they're not trying to be Purple,Heep or anyone else specifically although making those comparisons is easy and nearly irresistable. Although I no longer play much of this kind of material,I was raised on it and it does my heart good to see young guys persuing it.

What we see here is honest playing going for the throat with no backing tracks,onstage dancers in their underwear licking the floor,sampled playback of other peoples recordings,etc. It's not easy to think of too many current examples of the ideal these guys are chasing. Yes,Purple set the bar very high,but as we've sadly seen,they can't live forever. At least Monster Truck isn't taking the much easier route of staging a tribute to mayonnaise and white bread. Good for them.

The thing with many of the 70s bands like purple, pretty much everybody in the band was a virtuoso level player. Nowadays i'd be hard pressed to name one virtuoso level player amongst all the young players of today. Decent soloist aren't a part of todays rock songs. And don't say its because its passé. I see ad after ad for bands seeking good soloists they just cant find them . At least not 20 year olds, and they don't want a 50 year old in their band.

FunMachine.

Monster Truck is a band from Hamilton Ontario.. About 45mins away from me. These guys are great.. wearing their influences proudly on their sleeves.

Jay

www.soundcloud.com/high-diving-act

www.yournewneighbors.com

www.mclovinmusic.com

Nord Stage 3 Compact, Korg Krome EX, Novation Summit, Roland RD88 & Edge, Spectrasonic Keyscape

I apologize for inadvertently creating any old band versus new band controversy. They are both excellent bands.

I can appreciate what Monster Truck is doing - real playing and singing, stripped back gear, ballsy loud, sense of commitment to their sound and delivery, organ in the mix, etc. That said, I played about 6-7 more of their videos and the fact that the guitar solos are "primal", the organ solos nonexistent and I heard little in the way of dynamic contrasts means that their show couldn't engage my interest for more than 2-3 songs. For all I know, everyone in the band could be a genius and I'm missing the point. Their live videos suggest that they are successful.

Now, regarding Uriah Heep (and I've even played Gypsy Queen long ago), aside from their skills and continued commitment, I can't help being distracted by thoughts about age appropriate haircuts and the Hawaiian shirt. (Okay, I get it if you actually live in Hawaii...)

I like that! They'd be better served, however, if the guitarist/singer just stuck to singing and they brought in another guitarist.

The studio cut is better.

There was a killer live video from Vancouver that I didn't use because of a bit of profanity at the beginning; I don't know how that goes over here, so I used the radio station session instead.

The thing with many of the 70s bands like purple, pretty much everybody in the band was a virtuoso level player. Nowadays i'd be hard pressed to name one virtuoso level player amongst all the young players of today. Decent soloist aren't a part of todays rock songs. And don't say its because its passé. I see ad after ad for bands seeking good soloists they just cant find them . At least not 20 year olds, and they don't want a 50 year old in their band.

Probably because the 20 year olds were playing video games like Guitar Hero instead of actually practicing a real instrument.

[video:youtube]

Mingo Fishtrap.

Lots of Organ here but not hitting you in the face with chops.

These guys have as much of "it all" that you are going to find these days.

Possibly my favorite band.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

...the youngster playing the B-3 held my interest much longer than the guitar centered band that began the thread.

I couldn't help but recall the video of an 11-year old Billy Preston making an appearance singing and playing a B-3 on Nat King Cole's TV show in the '50's after watching the video here.

I hope we see more of this kid.

Archived