Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Do you play different on the internet ?

Theo Verelst

I mean with all these strange chaps around, trying to jot down and try out every of your licks up to the last most obscure one, why would you make a music video, or share some stuff with your world wide vague acquaintances/friends/fellow music interessees.

Of course I have an opinion about what I'm listening to right now, how I want classical harmonic theory to elevate the levels of modern jazz playing, and also about how to deal with the normal internet rules and the special cases.

Frankly, I can't say I've put anything up to the top of my abilities on the internet, except for some science, and maybe some filming/graphics, and in fact one or two soundware downloads. All of my public, worldwide web music stuff is up to some standards I feel are sufficient, and most IMO are interesting, but none are really like on the edge of my seat, heavily studied and prepared, and flowing with the electricity of inspiration. Of course you'd have to take my word for it that that is by choice...

Also, I actually really like listening to pro and hobby level works made available on the web, so I sure take it serious, and have a serious sense of pride when I publish something, no misunderstanding about that!

How about that, you feel offended by people publishing some music they made, or do you all feel it's cool ?

Theo V.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I play differently when I'm recording. Or at least, I sure hope so, after hearing the results!

Part of the problem is that my head's in a different space when recording. I want every phrase to sound the best that phrase has ever sounded, and as a result, it's the opposite. This, despite recording pretty frequently in my home studio since 1979. At least I'm not as bad as I used to be. And oh yeah, that click track: why does it keep changing speeds while I'm recording?

But, once I've recorded something, I do like to post it. That's just the fun of sharing.

Even worse than recording audio would be recording a video. Yikes, the horrors!

I play poker differently on the internet than in a live game.
Yeah, that internet guy, he has all those tells.

I'm still trying to figure out what Swaggart chords are.

What are Swaggart chords and were was this referenced? Don't you have a TV evangelist called Swaggart? There's a Jerry Lee Lewis connection. Can't be arsed googling him until you tell me I'm on the right lines.

And "the right lines" - that's not a dig - I remember he got into hot water for something but I seriously cannot remember and don't care if it was girls or coke or money laundering ...

What are Swaggart chords?

I'm the piano player "off of" Borrowed Books.

When I had a weekly, internet collaboration / arranging gig it was all too easy to experiment more with parts and sounds. Granted I tried not to waste time - especially when working directly with my collaborator, but when our scheduled time was over - and I had additional parts to record and send on to her - I tended to spend more time crafting parts than I did when hired to do an actual, physical session. It's different online, you don't feel the pressure from the other side of the glass - which I guess is both a good thing, and a bad thing..

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

I mean with all these strange chaps around, trying to jot down and try out every of your licks up to the last most obscure one, why would you make a music video, or share some stuff with your world wide vague acquaintances/friends/fellow music interessees.

hmmm.. sounds like the plot for a summer blockbuster..

http://oi41.tinypic.com/2yzeji1.jpg

:laugh:

I kid because I love! :wave:

Internet collaboration is fun. I was able to do a number of projects playing a bit over my head, because I could take my time, practice a stanza, record that stanza, and move on to the next. I'd never have been able to play at the same level if I had to do it all in one go. And yeah, I know about recording multiple takes and comping, and sometimes I did that too.

It was silly, sometimes, how many hours I spent recording a 4-minute part!

Most of that was shortly after I moved here to NC. Then I met musicians in the area, and don't do much of that any more.

The people I recorded with played their best, best I can surmise, as did I. But that red light ( red recording light so no one opens a door to the studio mid recording duh ) is inhibiting. We often did things without overdubs. Back in the tape days when I actually recorded with RIchard Tee.

May I make a prediction, yes, no, ? I predict someday culture will look back at recording with click track, in a similar way to how we will look at eating cows, or smoking . We will wonder what were they thinking!

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

What are Swaggart chords and were was this referenced? Don't you have a TV evangelist called Swaggart?

He picked up hookers in New Orleans, so maybe Swaggart chords have a Professor Longhair-type vibe to them. Jimmy Swaggart was the guy who famously cried "I have sinned" on TV. And boy, that cat really knew how to sin. :laugh:

What are Swaggart chords and were was this referenced? Don't you have a TV evangelist called Swaggart?

He picked up hookers in New Orleans, so maybe Swaggart chords have a Professor Longhair-type vibe to them. Jimmy Swaggart was the guy who famously cried "I have sinned" on TV. And boy, that cat really knew how to sin. :laugh:

Here is some of Swaggart's playing. Sound like Jerry Lee Lewis? Yep... they are cousins and would play piano together. :)

[video:youtube]

They all look like they're having such a blast! :laugh:

I'll have to send that clip to an old roommate, the one who used to call me stone fingers.

Next time you're accused of loitering on a piano bench, lay some of that on 'em. :thu:

--wmp

Allan - you're moving us away from the point here and I've read your posts for a few years ... you know your rootless demented thirteenths so any chance ... Swaggert chords?

Good on all of the above, especially those 'Swaggart chords'.... Heck, I've even got a few, fermented 11ths in my bag o' tricks.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

They all look like they're having such a blast! :laugh:

I'll have to send that clip to an old roommate, the one who used to call me stone fingers.

Next time you're accused of loitering on a piano bench, lay some of that on 'em. :thu:

HA! Yeah definitely not as animated as Cousin Jerry.

Good on all of the above, especially those 'Swaggart chords'.... Heck, I've even got a few, fermented 11ths in my bag o' tricks.

Help me - why would I write it as a fermented 11th not a dessicated 5th?

Back on-topic: I actually understood most of the OP's post.

- "why would you make a music video?" For all sorts of reasons. If someone steals my licks (OK my lick), I'm flattered.

- "Frankly, I can't say I've put anything up to the top of my abilities on the internet". This goes back to @LearJeff's comment about playing differently when recording. I've been playing live since I can't remember, and don't get nerves on stage. Put me in a studio and turn the red light on, and the butterflies return!

- "you feel offended by people publishing some music they made, or do you all feel it's cool ?" Depends on the music. If it's an offensive song (racist, for example) then I would be offended. If it's someone on a Yamaha PSR limping through Superstition in E (with their right hand), then I'll pass, but I'm not offended.

Cheers Mike.

Archived