Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT - What are you listening to right now?

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 hours ago, GovernorSilver said:

had no idea Michael McDonald toured with Edgar Winter

Here he confirms the names of his support musicians:  Edgar Winter (sax, keys), Robben Ford (guitar), Willie Weeks (bass), Brian Mann (keys), George Perilli (drums).  Practically an all-star band

Yard Act

Waxahatchee

Do I get the schizophrenic taste award for the day?

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

A FB post by drummer Tom Brechtlein asking about tunes kids would drive teachers crazy with doing desktop drums.   So I remembered the obvious one Wipe Out that everyone who thought they were a drummer would pound out on our desks.    There was another tune I couldn't remember the name of at the time, but we really had teacher going nuclear with because everyone in class would pound and clap the beat,  Surfer Stomp by the Marketts.    There was even this twisty hand and arm move all the girls would do.       Aw fun memories of Jr Hi School.

A song dealing with her various health issues at the time, including losing her voice and a cancer scare, "This weakening noise will fade softly to silence".

Stuff: Roland:SH-201/U-110/S-330/TR-626/M-48 Akai: miniAK/S6000 Yamaha:DX9/HS8/xs7 Korg:05R/W/AX10G Alesis: Vortex MK1 CME: UF70 classic V2/WIDI Behringer: DSP2024Px2/UMC204HD/101/340/D/03/8 ESI:1010e

Killin’ rendition of “Butterfly” from Robert Glasper and crew. Derrick Hodges + Chris Dave equal one of my favorite rhythm sections on the scene today.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Jazz is the teacher, Funk is the preacher!

12 minutes ago, GovernorSilver said:

I remember Rufus from when they first got going I was still into recording and they were doing some tracking at the Village and everyone was talking about them.   The big question was how do you pronounce her name.    Chaka tells them it's like saying "shocker" real fast.  <grin>.     Then the artist I roadied for his album release party was at the Whiskey and other act on the bill having their 2nd album release party was Chaka Khan and Rufus what a great weekend.    Then years and years later I'm working for that church I've mentioned before and guess who comes to our services now and then, yup Chaka Khan.   The church was having one of it special events on a Friday night and Chaka said she would sing a couple songs.  I'm on  the media team and were doing sound checks in the late afternoon and Chaka shows up to run down the tunes with the church house band.    She sits in the audience in the 2nd row and says I'm really tire I'll just sing from here.   So I run out get a mic and run it out to her, she says I don't need a mic I'm fine.     The band starts playing and Chaka leaning across a couple chairs and she is singing loud enough no mic was needed by anyone to hear her, so much power and Soul in her voice.     She left after that and came back rested for the event and everyone went home smiling after hearing Chaka.    

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1
  • Love 2

14 hours ago, CrossRhodes said:

Another gem from the Tiny Desk crew. Man, I’d love to work these shoots. Talk about a sweet day gig!

They used to have interns manning the cameras, with a seasoned pro supervising the interns, and another seasoned pro handling the audio engineering duties.  The interns were usually photojournalism or videography type majors fresh out of college or still in college.   Not sure how NPR does it these days.

Working at NPR in general was pretty sweet.

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

Keith Jarrett's Hymns & Spheres. Ohmigod, this. Portrait of the pipe organ as a young synthesizer. This is even more of a gem because it was his only foray into the instrument. I could hear this as a rare side project from any number of proggers, in the general area of Moraz, Paul Haslinger or Nick Magnus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aD9a_zBjTsI

"You seem pretty calm about all that."
 "Well, inside, I'm screaming.
    ~ "The Lazarus Project"