Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

FREEBIRD!

MuzikTeechur

Maybe it helps if you live in Georgia...

Freebird is a Southern Rock anthem, so of course you should play it as a REGGAE, with the fast part played similar to the fast part of Black Magic Woman. It works, it sounds great, just add it to your list and be proud of it.

And BTW, I even get jerks who ask me to play Freebird when I am playing my solo jazz piano gigs. And I do it because I am a bigger jerk than they are... it's the last thing they expect. :evil:

PS: I have also worked up a jazz piano version of Inna-Godda-Da-Vida. Same principle...

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I do not write checks I cannot cash. I spent a total of 10 years in the U.S Marines, including combat in Iraq. I may not win the fight, but you'll wish you hadn't started it.

That's enough, tough guy. We're proud that you served our country, but this is skirting awfully close to TOS of this forum. And I'm not reporting you.

How is this anywhere close to the TOS? BTW, I'm very proud of those that have served. Today is your day!

Jim Wells

Tallahassee, FL

www.pureplatinumband.com

It's disappointing that this forum of all places has digressed into a mindless display of internet bad-ass-ery like it has. This forum has usually managed to keep itself out of that gutter. However, this thread ... this thread has gone waayyy south. The fact that we're having conversation about whether or not it's appropriate to beat down a drunk patron clamoring for the band to play "Free Bird!" is ludicrous.

Sadly ... this hasn't been foisted on us by trolls. The "I'm such a bad-ass" chest beating coming from several of the forum's regulars is an embarrassment to us all.

The SpaceNorman :freak:

I agree... Either play it straight or make a joke out of it.

I used to play a hip swing cheesy lounge version of Freebird with a lot of "Hey there! You are lookin' good, You like to free your bird?"

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Don't worry , in a few more years there will be a generational shift and freebird will be ancient history. What you need to worry about is what annoying song hecklers will shout then.

Play Melancholy Baby! :laugh:

"I  cried when I wrote this song
Sue me if I play too long"

Walter Becker Donald Fagan 1977 Deacon Blues

Haven't had a request for Freebird in years. I thought all those guys died off :laugh:

My standard response for something like that is to say "Sorry we don't play that in here. But there's a band down the street at Zim's (or whatever club is down the street) that will. I suggest you go there."

But you can't ignore it, and you really don't want to insult the guy either. Most clubs these days are totally freaked out about confrontations, and Lonnie's response would have drawn the attention of the manager onto him in my current room. If it's a heckler, they want licensed security to take care of it. I've got stories... things are so different in the 21st Century...

The "Sure! $20 for the short version, and $50 for the long version" is pretty cool, but you might end up having to play it :freak:

With life resembling a Charles Bronson movie over here,...

Dude. What the hell's the matter with you?? It's a free country, you have choices. Move. And, don't give me crap about this excuse or that excuse. Just pretend your place burned down with everything in it, now you have no choice, you have to move so just do it. It's your life you're talking about here. Move somewhere nice, play some music and have some fun. Jeesh.

Bob

Hammond SK1, Mojo 61, Kurzweil PC3, Korg Pa3x, Roland FA06, Band in a Box, Real Band, Studio One, too much stuff...

I never played freebird in a band before, nor had a couple other members in my band. A couple had...a long time ago. We played a gig a couple months ago where this guy was yelling "freebird" all night. I assumed he was heckling us. I mean, it's kind of gotten to the point where when somebody yells "freebird", it's a joke. So we just ignored it and kept playing all night. Finally at the end of the night, he comes up with $100.00 and asks us to play freebird. We had never played it, but for $100, how hard could it be? Luckily, the sound guy was a musician who had played it before, so he's calling out chords to us through the monitors with his talkback mic. The crowd loved it.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Back in the day,(late eighties), the band I was in had a similar situation. We were playing in a pretty rough bar, doing our pop-synth driven stuff when some drunk started shouting out Bob Seger.

We were in the midst of doing a pretty hopping set of tunes to a packed floor and we said wed played his request soon. After a couple of songs and his continued shouting, we played Old Time Rock and Roll. The minute we finished, he began his shouting again..Bob Seger..play some Bob Seger!.

I cant remember what happened after that, but writing this reminds me of a BIGGER story that happened earlier that night as we set up. As we were carrying our equiptment in through the back door, there were two HUGE, burley dudes-one on each side of the door, watching us walk through.

My girlfriend was with us helping me carry my keyboards in and I knew as we approached the door, the good ol boys were going to making some rude comment and I was going to have to think fast. What they actually said left me speechless..

As soon as my girlfriend and I past them, one dude says to other you can have her, Ill take him. I about died and we both had a good laugh.. (of course this was understandable as I was dressed in the eighties coolest threads, and with the dyed blond, permed hair, why wouldnt he make that comment? ;)

These days too many bad buggers carry knives Pal.

Knives? Where I live people would laugh at anyone stupid enough to pull a knife. I'm not saying that as a joke. One thing I will never forget is a club owner telling the band "Don't take a break yet. Someone was shot in the parking lot and we need to keep everyone inside."

As for Freebird, and easy out is to tack a Freebird jam on the end of another song. Three chords and a lot of solo. Have fun with it and make sure the keyboards get a turn.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

These days too many bad buggers carry knives Pal.

Knives? Where I live people would laugh at anyone stupid enough to pull a knife. I'm not saying that as a joke. One thing I will never forget is a club owner telling the band "Don't take a break yet. Someone was shot in the parking lot and we need to keep everyone inside."

As for Freebird, and easy out is to tack a Freebird jam on the end of another song. Three chords and a lot of solo. Have fun with it and make sure the keyboards get a turn.

They wouldn't be laughing for long , because a knife attack is faster than gun within about 40ft.

Especially when you don't know it's coming.

Brett

You guys need a different booking agent or something. St. Louis regularly competes with Detroit for the most dangerous city in the US, yet in my 22 years playing bars, there has never been a stabbing or shooting at a gig. I've seen lots of fights, but extremely rarely does it involve the band.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Been there a number of times...agree.

I sooo miss living in Boston...not. :o

I can't wait to say that. :thu:

From what I keep hearing , you wouldn't want to get a flat tyre in Detroit :).

Brett

Steinway L, Yamaha Motif XS-8, NE3 73, Casio PX-5S, iPad, EV ZLX 12-P ZZ(x2), bunch of PA stuff.

Yeah....it cracks me up when I hear a bunch of...."Mustang Sally? Freebird? Oh hell no, I'm WAY too much of a sophisto muso to waste my musical spirit on THAT...." If you play music in a bar, entertaining drunks, I don't think it's beneath you....at least in my opinion. You really should get over yourself and play the dang thing....you ARE taking the money......aren't you?

Yeah....it cracks me up when I hear a bunch of...."Mustang Sally? Freebird? Oh hell no, I'm WAY too much of a sophisto muso to waste my musical spirit on THAT...." If you play music in a bar, entertaining drunks I don't think it's beneath you....at least in my opinion. You really should get over yourself and play the dang thing....you are taking the money......aren't you?

+1000

This is the argument in my band, as well as many bands, on a regular basis. It's a cover band...your job is to entertain. Original band...do your thing. But covers are covers. If you think you're somehow more artistic and more respectable because you only play what you deem cool, you'll next be on one of the thousands of threads on here complainingthat there are no gigs and you can't make any money.

Dan

... St. Louis regularly competes with Detroit for the most dangerous city in the US, ...

About 20 years ago the rural county that I call home had the highest per capita murder rate in the country. A citizens group formed a court watch and started logging cases where criminals, mostly drug dealers, were dismissed. They fed the information to the FBI and it worked. The mayor, county clerk, city police chief, and a judge got busted for drug trafficking and racketeering. It made national news and the founders of the watch group are still going around the country, teaching citizen groups how to form a court watch. Quite a big deal for a town that has finally grown to 2500.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Well St. Louis is a little bigger than 2500 and our problems grow much deeper. For one, it's one of the few cities in the US where St. Louis City is NOT in St. Louis County...the City is it's own county, but all the residential neighborhoods are in the county. SO when they do per capita crime statistics...all of the Baseball, Football, and Hockey games are in the City, as well as many nightclubs and restaurants, even though technically the city population is like 350,000 in a metro area of more like 2.5 million. So crimes on 2.5 million are divided among 350k residents. If the city was in the county, then it would make more sense.

Also, I've been on juries in the city. They are stupid lenient on crime for reasons I can't explain - they've all been victims. Cops are at their wits end arresting these guys over and over again. Gangs are a huge issue. Nobody really gets busted for anything. My car was stolen, they found it with 4 people in it. The driver got charged with "tampering" whatever the hell that is, never showed for court, and that was the end of it. The other 3? no charges. Apparently they were using it to go buy drugs. One was caught trying to write a check from my checkbook. No charges. A year later they recovered work demos at a house they raided. No charges.

If any of that happened in a small town, I guarantee they'd throw the book at them. It's just kind of normal and no big deal here. And the cops and mayor want to buy drones. Really? Drones? What are you going to do with them? how about actually PROSECUTE the folks you catch first?

Sorry, rant over.

Dan

Yeah....it cracks me up when I hear a bunch of...."Mustang Sally? Freebird? Oh hell no, I'm WAY too much of a sophisto muso to waste my musical spirit on THAT...." If you play music in a bar, entertaining drunks, I don't think it's beneath you....at least in my opinion. You really should get over yourself and play the dang thing....you ARE taking the money......aren't you?

to all youall who THINK ( illusorily ) you are too good for ANY damn song: this is for you... both barrels.

BE A freaking pro OR get the hell OUT of the music business.. leave room ( by getting out of the part time music biz- aka "I am picky "pro" - I am entitled musician) for the pros in this world who understand how the goat eats the cabbage aka: have both oars in the water.

Thank you very much for that, areafive one recording.

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

Archived