Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

FREEBIRD!

MuzikTeechur

Hey, I want some freaking respect around here WHO in the hell knows what Freebird is? And what's all the fuss about it? Respect hear me

Ha ha ha ha ha

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Under those circumstances I'd stop playing, stop the band, and really berate the SOB from the stage. I'd give management about thirty seconds to pounce on him before doing so myself. I'm not sure how many of them it'd take to kick my ass, but four ain't enough. No matter how many there are, they usually run like hell when they see what happened to the first one.

I do not condone violent fights at all. Last time I heard about a bar fight, one man wound up dead and the one still alive is now serving time for murder. You can kill someone in a fistfight.

When we win the next one Freebird is going to be the new National Anthem. LOL!

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Well, I was hoping for some good discussion about a common problem.

I freely admitted that I was WRONG in saying what I said, but others decided to read more into the situation and insult ME.

The management was horrified about the drunken idiot. He WAS cut off and was asked to leave. I do not feel that I am "too good" for any bar, or for any patron. And, for the record I didn't directly insult the patron, I merely said that Freebird was attracting too many morons. Hey, if the shoe fits...

We do not play Freebird as a band, but as a musician I've played it about as many times as I've played "Mustang Sally," which is more than I could possibly count. Whether or not I could play it wasn't the point. It's how to diffuse an annoying patron, which I CLEARLY stated I had done poorly. No need to pile on more, you holier-than-though folks.

I do not write checks I cannot cash. I spent a total of 10 years in the U.S Marines, including combat in Iraq. I may not win the fight, but you'll wish you hadn't started it.

In the past when people like this have done this, we usually have said something like "We have a deal with Lynyrd Skynyrd [Guns 'n Roses/Grateful Dead...]; they don't play our tunes, and we don't play theirs" but I didn't say that this time.

Thank you to those of you who gave constructive thought and funny replies. Humor is usually the best answer.

Muzikteechur is Lonnie, in Kittery, Maine.

HS music teacher: Concert Band, Marching Band, Jazz Band, Chorus, Music Theory, AP Music Theory, History of Rock, Musical Theatre, Piano, Guitar, Drama.

Hey, I want some freaking respect around here WHO in the hell knows what Freebird is? And what's all the fuss about it? Respect hear me

Ha ha ha ha ha

Freebird is a 3-lead guitar wankfest. In the late 70's I was the keyboardist in a band that played it (and yeah, it was requested a lot), and other than the intro and a quick solo, I would have to endure 20+ minutes of "guitar playing."

The function of this type of behavior is attention. So the best thing you can do is ignore the dude. I realize this can be difficult.....

Learning theory 101: Any behavior that is reinforced will be repeated. By responding to this guy you provide attention (albeit negative attention), which reinforces the behavior. So the next time he goes out he will do it again.

Q: Why does a boy throw a rock in a pond?

A: To see the splash.

Don't be the splash!

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

.........I do not write checks I cannot cash. I spent a total of 10 years in the U.S Marines, including combat in Iraq. I may not win the fight, but you'll wish you hadn't started it....

To be blunt - it was probably this sort of "swagger" that got you into trouble in the first place (and that is not an insult it is an observation)...and here you are repeating it :idk

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

You just had a little lapse of judgement Lonnie, I totally get that it happens to us all. It's good management took care of the problem. You know this better than most, you can be the baddest mofo on the planet but some wise ass little shit pulls a piece and you're dead.

As one vet to another I'm glad it turned out to be no big deal and I'm really happy you made it back from that hellhole in one piece.

Bob

Hammond SK1, Mojo 61, Kurzweil PC3, Korg Pa3x, Roland FA06, Band in a Box, Real Band, Studio One, too much stuff...

Hey! Don't knock Freebird.... Al Kooper plays Hammond and Mellotron on it...

It could be worse... It could be Mustang Sally...

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

To the OP - I don't fault you a bit for putting those Beavises in their place, although it can be a bit risky. They were obviously being annoying on purpose, and probably trying to pick a brawl. When it comes to engaging hecklers I'm reminded of a good piece of advice I've gotten here; "Never wrestle with a pig. You both get filthy, and the pig enjoys it!" :laugh:

About 10 years ago I was playing with a jazz/smooth jazz band when someone near us requested Freebird, but in a good-natured, joking kind of way. We went into a reggae beat and sang the first verse/chorus in a Homer Simpson voice. They got a good laugh out of it, and didn't bother us with it any more! :laugh:

Other times when we get absurd requests, we would just say we don't know that one, but here's a song with a lot of the same notes in it...BTW, I also love the parakeet response! :cool:

><>

Steve

I do not write checks I cannot cash. I spent a total of 10 years in the U.S Marines, including combat in Iraq. I may not win the fight, but you'll wish you hadn't started it.

That's enough, tough guy. We're proud that you served our country, but this is skirting awfully close to TOS of this forum. And I'm not reporting you.

Humor is usually the best answer.

Indeed...

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

http://danwiencek.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/audienceFB.jpg

Friday I am going to a university symphony concert to see my boy play.

Do I dare???? He would love that. LOL!

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Well, I was hoping for some good discussion about a common problem.

I freely admitted that I was WRONG in saying what I said, but others decided to read more into the situation and insult ME.

The management was horrified about the drunken idiot. He WAS cut off and was asked to leave. I do not feel that I am "too good" for any bar, or for any patron. And, for the record I didn't directly insult the patron, I merely said that Freebird was attracting too many morons. Hey, if the shoe fits...

We do not play Freebird as a band, but as a musician I've played it about as many times as I've played "Mustang Sally," which is more than I could possibly count. Whether or not I could play it wasn't the point. It's how to diffuse an annoying patron, which I CLEARLY stated I had done poorly. No need to pile on more, you holier-than-though folks.

In the past when people like this have done this, we usually have said something like "We have a deal with Lynyrd Skynyrd [Guns 'n Roses/Grateful Dead...]; they don't play our tunes, and we don't play theirs" but I didn't say that this time.

Thank you to those of you who gave constructive thought and funny replies. Humor is usually the best answer.

Dear Mr Marine... I live in a different world than you... different than most!. I have the at times maddening tendency to see at least 2 sides to any situation.

In your situation, I would see the 1. " smash these mofo's heads, curbside... 2. and also the club owners side.. 3. and the heckler'side side, 4. the non violent types, side, 5. the insurance ( bodily damage ) companies side, 6. the PC crowds side, 7. the other customers in the places side... 8. My girlfriends side. 9. A professional musicians side!! ( do not act unprofessionally do not take things personally ) , to name a few.

You cannot provoke people... it is a no no.. You must learn to turn the cheek. IF, if they are about to get violent, then and only then, do you place their heads in harms way.

Your rhetoric was faulty in this old man's opinion.

I am not a footballer piling on... I am agreeing with your frustration.. life IS difficult sometimes.. saying the word "moron" on mic IS provocative.. get real on that score.

You asked for interesting conversation... I hope this is a start in that direction.

http://danwiencek.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/audienceFB.jpg

^^^

This I would love to see.

I like:

'$20 in the tip jar for the short version; $50 for the long'

"Don't be the splash"

The idea of always giving the instigator(s) a way out / escape, without being shamed. A cornered animal is just that.

The majority of the time it's drunken patrons requesting Freebird. Many times they'll fade into the background when you give them something light and non-demeaning to chew on; they just don't want to have to think that hard. Telling the sound person that more 'Reverb' has been asked for sometimes works. If I do that the requestors often look at me as if I'm clueless, and they usually give up. And I've seen lead singers present the paid request option - which usually works, either way.

Putting someone in a position of pointed, public embarrassment is risky, and quite potentially terminal. Too many people not only carry knives, but handguns as well. At that point one could be ripped to the 'nth degree, and be a kick-ass fighter; no matter, firearm almost always trumps that. I do a fair amount of target shooting - pistol and rifle, and a firing gun is something I would not want to be on the other end of. It packs the ultimate punch, highly sobering at that.

Regarding the 'song': One band I played with came up with an innovative solution: They played the full, nine minute version of Freebird at the beginning of the final set. The mindset being: "Let's just get it out out of the way, and be done with it".

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

I think Lonnie already admitted that it was a poor choice of words. I've done worse. Recently. Nobody died. Folks barely got their feelings hurt. Management did the right thing. No problem.

I think you look at things from too many sides, Mr. Tee. I gave up that turn the other cheek stuff when I ran out of cheeks.

I do not condone violent fights at all. Last time I heard about a bar fight, one man wound up dead and the one still alive is now serving time for murder. You can kill someone in a fistfight.

I don't condone a lot of what I do, but sometimes I have to do it anyway. Sadly, I've probably had more combat this year than most. With younger, stronger, and more heavily armed opponents. Often outnumbered. I know the stakes and I'm grateful that I haven't had to kill anybody. Some of you may recall me griping about robberies last spring. The same SOB hit me again a few weeks ago. I left the car unlocked between loads, got distracted by a phone call, and got my car tossed for about $1000 in tools. It's highly unlikely that I'll get hit again by the same perp. But I didn't kill him.

With all this real warfare in my life, I'd probably have little trouble laughing off a drunken pest without resorting to mayhem on a good day.

--wmp

wmp all i have to say is ha ha ha ha You are a funny ( funny, in a GOOD way, ok in a GOOD way- not like Pesci sayin do I amuuuse you.. no not that way ha ha ) cat. I grew up around my share of bad guys, who were on varying degrees of this side or that side of the law.

i can dig a cat like you. I am ok with it. But I also admire Martin Luther King who said "I believe this belongs to you" referring to spital that was "deposited" on his person by an ignoramus. Takes more balls to refrain from toasting somebody, know what I mean? But I am glad we have characters like you too.

you are funny ha ha ha

I'm glad my life and death struggles amuse you. Enjoy it while it lasts.

Aside from not in custody, there is no right side of the law. Duck whenever you see it coming. YMMV and probably doesn't, but the cops around here are biggest criminals, thugs, and parasites in the hood. Pussies too. Real police work seems to frighten them. And they don't like hearing any of that any more than morons like being called morons. One might argue that they took no interest in my case because I'm a snarky bastid and I called them pussies, and much worse. But they do much the same if you're not a snarky bastid.

Being at war with the law enforcement industry while doing their job for them at the same time, pissing off the real bad dogs in the hood, is downright dangerous. Especially considering that I was way too old for this $#!t decades ago.

With life resembling a Charles Bronson movie over here, it's hard to imagine getting too worked up over anything at a gig that didn't put me or my gear in harm's way. But you probably still don't want to heckle me or provoke me. On a bad day I might go off.

Lonnie was looking for a more elegant solution. My first reaction before coffee probably wasn't the best. :)

--wmp

Archived