Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New CP4 owners - what case?

timwat

I would have expected my retailer to tell me, especially since I had to order it (took 2 weeks) and the music rest (took 6 weeks) separately. You would think there'd be a "flag" on the CP Bag order form or somethin'.

The top cover handles are good for hoisting.

I think the biggest disappointment was that I had a custom Yamaha bag for my P90. It lasted for years, well padded, everything fit. Obviously they've cheaped out since those days.

Here for the gear.

• 2 months later...

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If you reach under the keyboard to grab the lower handle and use that to pull, the design is apparently unbalanced and the keyboard wants to tip over.

....They could have left the wheels off, it's that unbalanced. Awful.

Agreed - except I would removed the word 'apparently'. It's just unbalanced, plain and simple.

This case is crap - poorly designed and made with low-quality materials. Yamaha should be ashamed, especially considering they claim the CP-4 to be their best stage piano to date. It deserves better protection than this.

Mine didn't hold up under very light use.

It's unstable because the wheels are too close together. Placing the underside handle up higher might have helped a little.

I, too, was expecting a handle on the end opposite the wheels. That would have probably been better than putting it underneath.

With no legs on the bottom, you can't stand the case on end (e.g., lean it against a wall while opening a door) for even a second without it sliding away.

The loop handles on the side are too long, resulting in the case hanging too low and flopping around if you try to carry it with one hand. Shorter handles and thicker, stiffer material would improve stability.

Even better would be two handles on the side, about 1.5 feet apart. This would require two hands to carry it, which I'm sure some people would object to. However, it's much safer this way.

The zipper is low-quality and too light a gauge. After 5 or 6 uses, about 1.5" of the zipper track ripped away from the fabric, and one of the zipper sliders jumped off the track.

I emailed Yamaha support, and to their credit they promptly sent a replacement. However, I see no reason this one should last any longer.

Bob K

My web site

Anybody know how the Gator GK88 compares to that SKB case?

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

To answer the question in the OP, I use a Protech case I got back in 1997 that's much like the SKB case only simpler: no wheels. IMHO it's the perfect kind of case for this size & weight of keyboard, as long as you carry your own gear. I wouldn't use it in the band van. At 15 lbs it raises the 38 lbs to 53, but that's 17 less than with my 55-lb MR76 that the CP4 mostly replaces. I did have to remove the rubber feet, which would never be of any use anyway since I never put it on a table or shelf.

Since I'm still using the same case since 1997, obviously it's been a pretty reliable one. Of course, I have replaced the plastic Fastex buckles (which eventually broke, but I always had a hand on the hand-handle, so no problems) with steel D rings and carabiners, which will outlast me. I've also restitched the straps to the sides. The zipper pulls came off, replaces with a Twisty key ring:

http://d2pbmlo3fglvvr.cloudfront.net/product/full/3EGL9_AS01.JPG

Every keyboard player should have a sweing awl for strap repair:

http://d31snyb1jsf9xb.cloudfront.net/services/image.aspx/media/images-product/sewing-awl-kit-1216-00.jpg

A handle on the end would be a nice improvement. I've thought of adding one, but never have.

I can't imagine why anyone would thing handles on the top would be useful. What goes on in their heads? And really, it shouldn't take a genius to figure out that for ANY size/weight case, wheels should be at the extreme edges, for the obvious reason (stability).

Anybody know how the Gator GK88 compares to that SKB case?

I've got the Gator 88 key slim bag, originally for my MP6 which just barely fit in it. I haven't put the CP4 in it yet, but it's dimensions suggest it should fit a little more comfortably than the MP6. I havent seen the SKB case, but the Gator looks and feels sturdy with plenty of protection. (I guess I should probably check it before my first gig, eh?!) If you can get away with a soft bag and no wheels, this is a nice one.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/GKB88Slim

D-10; M50; SP4-7; SP6

I'm a fairly accomplished hack.

My experience of the Gator GK88 with previous stage pianos (I'm still struggling along with the Yamaha one for my CP4) was that the metal frame on the bottom made it relatively heavy, which added to the woes of moving around a 25kg piano (I would no longer consider _anything_ 20kg or over for gigging, I might add). Often I would be reduced to using the rear of my car as a pivot point to get the thing in and out.

The other problem with the GK88 is that for all its weight, the front and back are barely padded at all, making the piano susceptible to cosmetic damage even when in the case.

As I say, at the moment, I'm using the CP4 bag from Yamaha but I just carry it everywhere. I've given up with the wheels, and indeed might look into the practicalities of removing them altogether to save a bit of weight.

I don't know why we can't get cases which do the job adequately without being ridiculously over-engineered, over-large or heavy. By contrast, the gig cases for both my SK1 and SK2 are great heavy duty corded material on the outside, quality soft well-padded material inside. Feel like they'll last years (although Hammond lose a mark for the too-small outer pockets).

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

If you're used to the Roland (I used to own the RD700GX) or Casio 'ivory feel' then the Yamaha equivalent does feel more glossy. In practice, I've never found them slippery enough to be a problem.

Yeah, I played the NX in shops a few times and it was definitely the same key finish feel as the GX, which some might admittedly prefer. The upside would seem to be that the Yamaha material doesn't seem as vulnerable to getting dirty and gritty as the Roland keys, about which there has been a bit of debate in the past.

I just strap that pitiful excuse for a gig bag upside down on my wheeled X-stand (I've fashioned it to serve as a dolly when folded up). So the bag's wheels are facing the sky, and the Yamaha logo is upside down. A fitting insult I think.

Regarding the OT slippery keys. I'd way rather have keys my fingers don't stick to during higher humidity gigs. In the past, I've used sprays (finger ease, Pledge) and Wet Wipes. Frustrating as hell.

Here for the gear.

This. Looks like crap in the picture, and you're probably thinking "this guy's nuts" (which may be an entirely accurate assessment), but here's why:

Having an aversion to rolling keyboard cases (I saw a friend's broken keyboard end cap mounts a few years ago and started wondering about the vibrations and door-threshold-jars inflicted on keybed parts, solder points and board circuitry), and consequently having an even greater aversion to unnecessary case weight since no-wheels = carry, I've been using and having good luck the last several years with cases that have 1) as durable exterior material as I could find with 2) soft interior material, 3) decent padding and 4) sturdy sewn-in handle straps long enough to go over shoulder (NOT flimsy snap-on shoulder straps). Basically - just a nylon-covered layer of fitted padding.

There were not many bags available that would properly fit a S90ES, and I settled for a bag on eBay that was so inexpensive (a definite advantage to buying a low-tech non-wheeled bag) that I figured I could replace it annually if it fell apart and still come out ok. After using it a few times though, I liked it so much though that I bought one of the same manufacture from the same seller in the size suitable for my CP33. Now, over 6 years later with 6-15 uses per month between them, both bags are still going strong and the keyboards still don't have any transport-related blemishes (some dandy bruises though inflicted on stage by geetar and bass players oblivious to the arc of their swings).

After using the CP33-size bag for my P105 and CP4, I recently began what I figured would be a fruitless search to find a new bag of the same construction from the same manufacturer ("if it ain't broke," right?) to have 2 to use between those 3 boards. Was happy to find it (at an understandably higher price, given the years) here. Other sized bags of the same material/construction are available from this seller as well.

If you're wondering about the feasibility of always carrying rather than rolling (unless in places you can cart), to me, the shoulder-length straps are the key. With a shoulder pad (something like this) placed on the straps, you can comfortably carry a 35-50lb. keyboard under-arm with extra support (and some shoulder weight redistribution) by cupping your hand underneath - leaving one hand free to open doors and fend off drunks. Carrying this way also makes it easier to be careful to avoid bangs passing through stairways and doorways, etc., making a moderate amount of padding sufficient.

Oh - and to further reinforce "this guy's nuts," being cheesy picky about gear appearance (even the cases), I removed the small brown label and ironed on two Yamaha patches I had (fooled people into thinking these are Yamaha cases numerous times) - recently found a new emblem for the new case here.

I just noticed this, which looks like a similar lightweight bag with straps the right length to facilitate shoulder-carry (slightly higher price, but no cheesy ironing required).

Kawai KG-2D / Yamaha CP33 S90ES MX49 CP4 P515 / Hammond SK1 / NS3 88 / NS3Compact

QSC K8.2s K10.2s KSubs / SoundcraftUi24 / SSv3 / GK MB112 MB115 MB210 Neo410

We have found that this is almost perfect as a soft case for the CP4:

http://www.skbcases.com/music/products/proddetail.php?f=&id=687&o=&offset=2&c=76&s=76#

Even though it says 76...the CP4, while snug, fits nicely.

If the outside pocket would fit the CP Rest, it would be perfect.

I just thought I'd chime in on this bag. I've used it for almost exactly a year and it's falling apart. Granted I used it on probably 160 load ins in 2014, but I'm bummed about this thing dissolving before my eyes. I think I'll have to go hard case for the next iteration. Probably should have done that sooner.

The side handle ripped almost immediately, followed by the length wise rubber handle, and now the wheels which are starting to come off. The inside is becoming shredded and starting to spew plastic splinters into the case.

http://bobbycressey.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/CP4-Case-Jacked-Handle-2.jpg

http://bobbycressey.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/CP4-Case-Jacked-Handle.jpg

http://bobbycressey.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/CP4-Case-Jacked-Wheel.jpg

http://bobbycressey.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/CP4-Case-Shredded-Interior.jpg

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

Only hard cases. That case is one year.

Wes

And great post. I think my Gator GK88 (not GKB) is probably more durable from he looms of that pic.

I don't know it fits -- but I'll caution you that the GK series is curved at the corners, so if the CP4 takes up the full width AND full length, it won't fit. But if it's a couple of inches short of the inner case dimensions in either directions, you're golden.

I just thought I'd chime in on this bag. I've used it for almost exactly a year and it's falling apart.
Do you cart that yourself, or does it go in the band van? (Or do you have such a rig that your own car is pretty much the same as a band van?)

I probably wouldn't use a case like that if I were still gigging with CP70 and Rhodes. I used flight cases back in those days. Today, the CP4 slides between passenger seats and front seats in my minivan, and at age 57 I expect my old Protech to last until I no longer have a keyboard heavy enough to need it. It's held up well enough this last 17 years. Admittedly I'm not a road warrior like you!

The problem with the end handle doesn't surprise me. One reason I haven't bothered putting one on mine is because it'd have to be done carefully to be rugged enough, even for my pretty careful use. I haven't quite come up with a concept that I like.

I don't know it fits -- but I'll caution you that the GK series is curved at the corners, so if the CP4 takes up the full width AND full length, it won't fit. But if it's a couple of inches short of the inner case dimensions in either directions, you're golden.

The inner width of the Gator is listed at 18 inches and the CP4 width is 14 inches so it should fit!

'57 Hammond B-3, '60 Hammond A100, Leslie 251, Leslie 330, Leslie 770, Leslie 145, Hammond PR-40

Trek II UC-1A

Alesis QSR

My CP4 comfortably fits in the Gator case I own. And according to an email from Sweetwater, their sale items this President's day include Gators (though I don't know what kind).

Which specific Gator case do you own?

'57 Hammond B-3, '60 Hammond A100, Leslie 251, Leslie 330, Leslie 770, Leslie 145, Hammond PR-40

Trek II UC-1A

Alesis QSR

Which specific Gator case do you own?

I was afraid you were going to ask that. I don't remember at the moment and am at work, but I'll try to remember to look tonight.

edit: Did a quick search and might have found my bag:

http://www.gatorcases.com/p/111196-509/gk-88-slim

edit again: I take it back. That's not mine, though what I have is very similar.

I just thought I'd chime in on this bag. I've used it for almost exactly a year and it's falling apart.
Do you cart that yourself, or does it go in the band van? (Or do you have such a rig that your own car is pretty much the same as a band van?)

Back of my Prius. Not a 'road warrior' necessarily, just driving all over SD and greater Southern California for gigs. Just a whole lot of jerking on the handles to get the thing in and out of the car.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

Cedar, was yours made for a 76 key or an 88 key board? Does it have wheels? Do you recall looking for a "slim" case?

Wes,

I do not recall looking for a slim case, but since there is ample room I assume it was made for 88 keys. It does have wheels. I didn't search around at all, but just picked the case that was available at my local Guitar Center (which incidentally just closed).

• 3 weeks later...
I bought this RoadRunner case, which seems to have the proper dimensions (the CP4 will be here next Monday!!):

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/road-runner-rr-xpress-keyboard-porter-sm88

I looked at the SKB case on amazon and thought it was too big: turns out, they were using the CARTON dimensions (?)!

NoLights, please let me know how this panned out for you. I see that the height spec for the case is 5.75" whereas the CP4 is 6.34." Does it fit OK? I'm looking for a case that's under 10 lbs. and this looks like it could be the best choice.

I've ordered the SKB SC88NKW, that I believe timwat & polkahero did. Good/bad reviews? Bobadoshe had some gnarly looking pics of an skb semi-rigid. I'm hoping that one was the 76-key case. I don't intend on relying on the wheels. It does have the ability to add a shoulder-strap, which is good. Somewhere I think I read someone had a bad experience with the built-in straps messing up the keys.

Imported from the CP4-1st Impressions thread ...

this one instead. It's longer but weighs the same as the 76-key case. It's a narrow design which is nice but still plenty of room for the CP4. Good luck!

• 1 month later...
I recently purchased a Yamaha CP4 and also made the mistake of ordering the dedicated CP4/40 Gig bag. I wish I had read people's comments before as this bag is really terrible. Extremely tight fit, almost no padding or protection and the wheels are a joke with no handle at the opposite end. Fortunately I managed to return the gig bag as 'unfit for purpose'. However I have now purchased a Soundwear case with wheels from Thomann and it is a much better product. It is well-padded, a good quality bag and good fit and the wheels actually work without the keyboard wobbling and it even has a handle at the other end! The large pouch also just fits the music rest (which the official Yamaha case did not) so all in all I am very pleased with it. It cost slightly more but seems a least twice the quality. This is a link to the product http://www.thomann.de/gb/soundwear_stagebag_88.htm

Archived