Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New CP4 owners - what case?

timwat

I use the GATOR ATA Molded 88 Slim. Works great! http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/GKPE88SlimTSA

The internal height is listed as 6" and the cp4 is listed as 6.3". Doesn't that cause you any problems for you? (or for the cp4?)

Another question. What type of stand do you use? Anyone knows if you can buy legs or similar for the cp4?

Only a couple of weeks before I have my own cp4 :D

• 2 months later...

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If you're in Europe, I'd recommend the Soundwear 88 note bag available via Thomann.

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

I'm such a cheap a**. :laugh: I still have that Yamaha YBB881 bag that I've posted about many times in this thread. :blush:

It was made for the CP33 and I got it off CL for $75 2 years ago. The CP4 doesn't fit that well in it, you really have to futz with it to get the zippers to close.

There's a luggage store around here that I keep taking it in to have the zipper tabs and zippers replaced, and the bag restitched in places.

It's on my *should do* list to replace it. But it's almost like a little game with me at this point - how long can I make this pos bag last. But actually I guess it isn't a pos since it keeps hanging in there and offers adequate protection. But I'm pretty careful with my stuff.

And actually the music rest fits in the outside pocket, but barely. I would just go ahead with the Gator Slim but I'd really like that music rest to fit in the outside pocket. Wes said in an earlier post that it doesn't. :(

It appears that it would fit on the Soundwear bag. But again I'm being a cheap a** and lazy in taking care of this.

Oh forget it. I'll just get a Nord Piano 3 because I know the music rest (far superior to the plastic Yamaha) fits perfectly in the dedicated Nord bag outside pocket. :idea::crazy::keys:

• 2 weeks later...
How "transportable" is the CP4 using the Soundwear 88 bag?

I.e. is it possible to transport it on a bus?

Or os that practically impossible would you say? :-)

I'd say it depends how crowded the bus is, and if it has luggage stowage. Length is more likely to be an issue than weight, in some ways. Plus, what are you going to put it on/sit on when you get to the gig? I can't imagine carrying anything else at the same time on public transport.

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

FWIW, it is be possible to fit CP4 in a Gator ATA 76 hard case. That's way easier to transport than the 88 key ATA case. However, it requires some DIY tweaking. I have a Moxf 8 which is just a little too wide for the 76 key case. So, I took a kitchen knife and chopped off about 3/4 inch of the styrofoam in the other end of the case and voila, Moxf fits there easily. CP4 appears to be .5 inch wider than Moxf but the same trick should do it for CP4 too.

• 2 months later...
Answered my own question. I went SKB SC88-NKW, and will see how this works when they both turn up.

Ditto...just purchased it this weekend

I'm selling one of these in the classifieds here, BTW.

'57 Hammond B-3, '60 Hammond A100, Leslie 251, Leslie 330, Leslie 770, Leslie 145, Hammond PR-40

Trek II UC-1A

Alesis QSR

• 4 months later...
I recently picked up the SKB 1SKB-SC88NKW for my CP4, and it's pretty light, rolls well, and doesn't fall over like the Gator soft case I had for my last digital piano. It's a few inches longer that the CP4, which is annoying, but at least it not as long as the Gator case. It leaves some room for pedals. We'll see how well it holds up.

NY Steinway B, Yamaha C6X

Just a few thoughts on cases.

I'm not a fan of soft cases and bags, having damaged the corner of a Korg Triton in one some years ago.

When I bought the Nord Electro5HP a few weeks ago, I discovered that the SKB 4214W ATA hard case was actually slightly lighter than the dedicated Nord soft case. It's arrived, and I'm very pleased with it.

For my RD700nx, I've got a Gator slim ATA 88 hard case. My only complaint is that it has 1 centre handle for a combined weight of over 85lbs. Ridiculous. The P120 I used to own had a Gator case with 2 diagonally positioned handles on top which made it much easier to carry.

Yamaha YC73

Korg Kronos2 61

Yamaha CP88

Roland Jupiter 8

Roland JX3P

Roland D50

Barryjam - yep!

That said, I damaged my CP4 in one. I fell on the ice in -20 weather and smashed the piano between a concrete stair step corner and my body, right where it is least protected. The case shattered and the PCB holding the buttons cracked. Luckily we have an excellent Yamaha tech in the area (kenheeter) and my piano is good-as-new.

Unclejam, which case did you have last? The Gator GK88-SLIM I've been recommending fits the CP4 like a glove. How stable is the SKB 1SKB-SC88NKW standing on end? The GK88-SLIM is alright, but I wouldn't trust it in a windy area. FWIW I found the GK88, loaded with my DGX620, to be much less stable.

Wes

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

Barryjam - yep!

Unclejam, which case did you have last? The Gator GK88-SLIM I've been recommending fits the CP4 like a glove. How stable is the SKB 1SKB-SC88NKW standing on end? The GK88-SLIM is alright, but I wouldn't trust it in a windy area. FWIW I found the GK88, loaded with my DGX620, to be much less stable.

Wes

Wes,

The Gator case I mentioned was actually for my Roland NX700; I've only had the CP4 for a short time, so the SKB is the only case I've had for it. I don't know yet how stable it is standing on end with the CP4 in it, because the CP4 is set up to play next to my acoustic piano, but that's a very good question. It's plenty stable standing in the corner without the keyboard in it.

Interesting to know that the Gator you mentioned fits the CP4 so well. I also just read over this entire thread and see that I could have gotten the 76-key version of the SKB.

The reason the SKB stands on it's side in a more stable manner than the Gator I bought for the NX700 is the size and construction of the plastic runners. They are more heavy duty on the SKB, which keeps the case from tipping over on its side.

NY Steinway B, Yamaha C6X

• 3 months later...
This is an update to my previous post:

I ordered the new Gator Pro Go case and it fits the CP4 perfectly. The model I ordered was the G-PG-88SLIM, so it's a little snug lengthwise, but not as snug as the Yamaha CP4 case. The music rack does fit in the outside pocket. I tried the GK-88 SLIM and it was a good fit but it added 22 lbs to the keyboard, and the music rack did not fit in the outside pocket. The Pro Go looks well made, zippers look good, handles are riveted in, and there is a shoulder strap for carrying short distances. The back pack straps are probably useless for me on a keyboard this size, I would probably fall over backwards. The only drawback is that there are no wheels. This is ok for me since I load everything on my Rock-n-Roller anyway. Let's see how this case holds up under the rigors of gigging.

Thanks for the info! I picked up this exact case today for my CP4 and it's fantastic. Have you found yours to hold up over time given how tightly the CP4 fits inside?

Mine has held up fine. I only use it when I am personally handling the keyboard. Use ATA for trailer. Adds a little heft, but totally worth it.

Jim Wells

Tallahassee, FL

www.pureplatinumband.com

• 1 month later...

So, I went to put my CP4 in the Yamaha YBB-881 bag ( made for the CP33) for the gig tonight and the zipper totally failed.

As I've written on this thread I've probably put as much into repairs on the bag as I paid for it so it's time to get something more substantial.

For the tonight and two more gigs this weekend, I have an older A&S hard custom case for my S90 that I had to pull out of the attic. It's an anvil type but lighter weight (30 lbs.) being made of hex plastic. It's actually a good fit with not too much overlay, inside and out. However total weight with the CP4 is now 68 lbs. :cry::pop:

So what's the verdict on the best soft case for the CP4 ? The contenders appear to be :

Gator Pro-Go Series G-PG-88 Slim XL

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/GPG88SlimXL

Gator GK-88-SLIM

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/GK88Slim?adpos=1t2&creative=175691172152&device=c&matchtype=e&network=g&gclid=CjwKEAjw8IXMBRD8grLxi5ql5E4SJACD1

Gator molded case. Considered it but my A&S hard case is actually 2" shorter and only 2 lbs. heavier then this.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/GTSA88Slim

SKB 1SKB-SC88NKW

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/766699-REG/SKB_1SKB_SC88NKW_Soft_Case_for_88.html

Road Runner RXP15KB

http://roadrunnercases.com/rxp15kb/

Soundwear 29138 - over $300 with ship from Germany last time I checked.

http://www.soundwear.com/en/?page_id=181

Does anyone use this Fusion bag ? They are supposed to be good quality from what I've heard.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1129617-REG/fusion_bags_f3_25_k_12_b_keyboard_12_gig_bag.html

From what I can gather the Soundwear is the best quality although the most expensive getting one here in the US.

I'm wondering if the newer Gator Pro Go series are of equal quality ? - but they don't have wheels like the Soundwear.

I dolly almost all the time but for short distances the wheels are nice to have.

I'm happy with Gator GK-88-SLIM . I pack myself. Local gigs. No flying. It can "just" fit in between the handles of a larger RockNRoller Dolly, sitting on top of monitors and rack (an XL wouldn't be able to do that).

Barry

Home: Steinway L, Montage 8

Gigs: Yamaha CP88, Crumar Mojo 61, A&H SQ5 mixer, ME1 IEM, MiPro 909 IEMs

Dave, I recently purchased this one.

Thanks Peter. Do you know the external length off hand ?

Gator doesn't seem to publish the exterior specs on the Go Pro bags and that particular Gator GKB-88.

I'd like to stay around 57-59 " on the external length if possible.

Here's the standard 88 Go Pro but it's listed as 51.50" length and the CP4 is 52.44 ". So unless someone has used this one and it scrunches in there , length wise, it looks like the XL Go Pro is the one.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/GPG88Slim

Still happy with my GK-88-SLIM. It's starting to show its age. But it is in and out of the van with organ and PA on a very regular basis.

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

Dave, I recently purchased this one.

Thanks Peter. Do you know the external length off hand ?

Gator doesn't seem to publish the exterior specs on the Go Pro bags and that particular Gator GKB-88.

I'd like to stay around 57-59 " on the external length if possible.

Here's the standard 88 Go Pro but it's listed as 51.50" length and the CP4 is 52.44 ". So unless someone has used this one and it scrunches in there , length wise, it looks like the XL Go Pro is the one.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/GPG88Slim

I was a little concerned with length cause it appeared the GKB-88 was a bit smaller, but there were enough people here who said it fit so I got it. It fits without having to stretch bag, no matter what the measurements say. I also got it for $90 at the time.

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251

I still use the GK-88-SLIM when I am handling the board myself. It adds to the weight, but the wheels help. Also, the inside straps are great for securing the keyboard. Mine had held up really well.

Jim Wells

Tallahassee, FL

www.pureplatinumband.com

I have the GK88-SLIM. The CP4 fits quite nice and I really don't even need to use the inside straps. The outside is getting worn thought, especially the zippers. I've had to replace the zipper tabs and now the material holding the zipper is starting to tear on the corners.

I'm looking more closely at the Fusion Keyboard #13.

https://www.fusion-bags.com/collections/keyboard-gig-bags-for-76-88-keys/products/f3-keyboard-13-gig-bag

I really like the fact that the external length is just over 58"..and it has wheels.

The only problem is that it's listed as "sold out" on the site. I have message in to see when they will be back in stock.

I and a few others here are Fusion users and fans. They are excellent cases, very well made, and from what I've seen a considerable step above what is offered here in the US.

The one I have for my Kurz Artis is small enough that I don't need wheels, but based on the quality of my model I would assume that the wheeled ones would be of very high quality.

Archived