Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New CP4 owners - what case?

timwat

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If I get one, my plan is to see if it will fit in the soft case for my SV1, which I think it will. If so, I'll be ordering another one of those, since that case has served me well. Just this past week it finally broke a wheel, after years of schlepping around two SV1s and two Privias.

Got a CP4 getting delivered soon. Was thinking of going wheeled soft case due to my typical intended usage. Gator's bag = interior height 6.0". CP4 listed height = 6.3"

What are you guys doing for cases?

I do not know about CP4, but CP5 has rubber feet that are almost 2cm tall, and yamaha counts that into total height as well. If CP4 has them - remove them and you will fit it into that Gator case.

Custom handmade clocks: www.etsy.com/shop/ClockLight

I bought this RoadRunner case, which seems to have the proper dimensions (the CP4 will be here next Monday!!):

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/road-runner-rr-xpress-keyboard-porter-sm88

I looked at the SKB case on amazon and thought it was too big: turns out, they were using the CARTON dimensions (?)!

Kurzweil PC4; Yamaha P515; EV ZXA1s

I have the SKB 88 narrow case with inline skate wheels. I don't know the model number sorry. It's a good case, but I feel the reduction in weight of the CP4 has been lost with the weight of this bag. I wanted a fusion bag but they aren't available here.

The CP fits well, with space for the rather large sustain pedal at the end. Lucky, as I doubt it would fit in one of the pockets. The only drag is the Yamaha music rest won't fit in the pocket....

www.dazzjazz.com

PhD in Jazz Organ Improvisation.

BMus (Hons) Jazz Piano.

my YouTube is Jazz Organ Bites

1961 A100.Leslie 45 & 122. MAG P-2 Organ. Kawai K300J. Yamaha CP4. Moog Matriarch. KIWI-8P.

Got a CP4 getting delivered soon. Was thinking of going wheeled soft case due to my typical intended usage. Gator's bag = interior height 6.0". CP4 listed height = 6.3"

It looks like you may have moved on to other options, but if for some reason you decide to go back to the Gator soft case, I would not sweat the .3" difference in height. When I was shopping for a soft case for my S90ES (which is 6 3/4" high), I found the Gator GK-88 SLXL, which seemed perfect except it's listed interior height is only 6". Fortunately I found someone-- probably on this forum-- who had the same combination and assured me that the S90ES fit "like a glove" in that case. He was 100% right.

dongna - thanks for weighing in.

Logic would seem to imply that 0.3" is a negligible difference with a soft-side case. So I called Gator in Florida to confirm...the guy I spoke to insisted it was a big deal, that it would eventually strain and tear the zippers, he would definitely not recommend it, etc.

Of course, he may have been simply following company policy so they don't set themselves up for accusations of approving "misfitment" or whatever, but he was so dang insistent I went the SKB route instead.

And Pale may be right, the whole argument may be solved by removing some rubber feet.

We'll see when the CP4 and the SKB case show up how the movie ends.

The SKB case doesn't appear readily available in the UK. The only shop selling it wants a ludicrous 350UKP for it! This is one of my fears about going for the CP4 - I'd end up with another of the pretty pisspoor Gator cases which makes it much less luggable and (from previous experience) doesn't protect very well (wafer thin walls, not much padding). By contrast, the Nord case is admittedly pricey but is much better padded and doesn't add a huge amount of extra weight.

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

Aidan - thanks for weighing in. The only Gator case I have is a hardshell w/ TSA latches (for the Nord Wave), so to hear your dissatisfaction with the Gator softside is revealing. Hopefully the SKB I have on order proves to have helped me dodge a bullet. Sorry they aren't as plentiful your side of the pond.

You may already realize this, timwat, but I think successfully using a Gator soft-side cases with an 88-key keyboard such as the CP4 boils down to one thing: are you the one handling it, or is anyone else? I don't really trust the case to bear any of the weight of my S90ES. The strapping, stitching, and zippers aren't up to it. I can get the case into and out of my car and up on it's wheels by myself. But if I have to actually carry it any distance, or go up or down stairs, for example, then I get help. There's no way the stock carrying strap would bear the weight.

If you're the one handling it, and you know the limitations of the case, and can get help from another pair of hands if you need it, then it can work. If anyone else handles it, and they think they can manhandle the case or toss it around at all, then the case probably won't last very long (best case scenario) or your CP4 might get damaged (worst case scenario).

• 3 weeks later...
We have found that this is almost perfect as a soft case for the CP4:

http://www.skbcases.com/music/products/proddetail.php?f=&id=687&o=&offset=2&c=76&s=76#

Even though it says 76...the CP4, while snug, fits nicely.

If the outside pocket would fit the CP Rest, it would be perfect.

Just to update this little vignette - the SKB case that SupportGuy recommended above arrived last night. I can confirm the CP4 fits perfectly in there. It's a snug fit length-wise, about as close to a perfect fit as you'll get. The CP Rest fits easily in the case, although I'm going to use a towel to make sure it doesn't scrape the piano. This case has wood-reinforced top and bottom, which makes it far sturdier than the padded bag I'd used as a stopgap so far. It also makes it overall heavier, that's always the tradeoff. But I feel very secure with this wheeled case now. Off to my CP4 gig this evening.

So hey SupportGuy! Thanks very very much for the recommendation!

Tim

(postscript - the piano does indeed have substantial rubber feet that could be removed. All to say the Gator probably is a perfectly acceptable option, but I'll never know, and the Gator rep on the phone may want to rethink his responses...but that's not my fish to fry)

although I'm going to use a towel to make sure it doesn't scrape the piano. This case has wood-reinforced top and bottom, which makes it far sturdier than the padded bag I'd used as a stopgap so far.

Thanks Tim and Support Guy ( :wave: ) .

So you are laying the towel on top of the keybed while in the case ? And the CP music rest doesn't fit in the front/outside pocket ?

The site says 22.5 lbs. on the weight, so that puts it back at a more hefty 50 lbs. total. Probably a tad more then the NP2, in its less padded Nord case, then the SKB. Not a big thing for me although I wish the SKB had a strap on the back, in the middle of the case-like the Nord. That really makes a more stable center of gravity while wheeling it around.

When I get the CP4 and if I really dig it and its a longtime keeper, which I can't see any reason it might not be, I might bite the bullet and get a custom hard case by A&S here in N. Hollywood. Have to put Randy Romero to work for me one more time before she retires..lol.

A&S does some amazing things with the case materiel in reducing the weight, but it would be $$$ & still heavier then a soft case. But I wouldn't have to think about anything in transport...especially if I give it to cartage.

Dave - inside the SKB are two wide, padded velcro "safety belts to keep the board from moving around inside (cheaper than custom foam blocks). So I strap the CP4 in, lay the towel on top, put the CP rest on top. Would be more elegant if the CP rest fit in the external pocket, but alas...

Yes, all in it makes for a heavier load, and my arms are asking me, "Didn't you just negate the whole point of the 30lb CP4?" The good news is the protection is really good...and it's got wheels.

For the very short load ins, I may continue to use the Undercover bag I had made for my Kawai MP4 several years ago. It's a snug fit, but very minimally padded and no reinforcement. It's essentially a "scratch protector" and little else. I have a couple regular gig venues where that's all that's required, so recycling will be the order of the day for those.

• 1 month later...

I just received my CP4 ATA case. The upside is since it's a 76 key case you don't have all of the extra space that's necessarily in the case for an 88. You simply cut the foam to tighten things up. It's very high quality and heavy duty. The downside is it weighs 50 lbs. It only works because of the wheels, plus I have a trailer for transport. I'm sure I will end up using a soft case for non full band gigs. All in all, it's very nice and the price is good. YMMV...

http://www.audiopile.net/products/Cases/Keyboard_Cases/KB_series_cutsheet.shtml

Jim Wells

Tallahassee, FL

www.pureplatinumband.com

• 3 months later...

Probably best to keep this in the specific thread so I deleted my post in the CP5 thread.

Are you still using that EWI hard case you bought for it Jim ?

The EWI got me thinking (again) about a custom case from A&S Cases here in N. Hollywood. It would be a total custom, probably not as heavy as the 50 lbs. like yours, but would be considerably pricier than EWI.

At the other end of the spectrum - I might take a chance on the Soundwear bag that Andi had mentioned in the CP5 thread.

It only weighs 3.8 kgs/8.3 lbs. I don't know if it offers the same protection as the SKB. It looks similar or maybe a higher quality then the discontinued Yamaha YBS-888 (not sure on that #) I used for the CP300 & CP5. It went as part of the deal when I sold the CP5.

There's no individual link but it's 002.29.13801 I've been told by a Soundwear rep it's $295 + $50 ship to the Ca. There's no US distributor.

http://shop2.ezentrum.de/3976358/AWrDLHkwKTwks6cGlV7T0XyIE0pnpT/4DCGI/ezshop?sTICKCOUNT=66717706&action=direktanzeige&artikelnummer=002.29&suchid=4125842&fromaction=showpa

The SKB is the cheapest new option. But I have an old Yamaha P120 custom case in my attic made by the great case company out of Indiana - Modern Case - who unfortunately are no longer in business. It's a soft/rigid case but no wheels. I'm hoping it fits the CP4 and that it will be a temporary solution until I decide on something permanent.

Dave, I'm still using it and it's still heavy as hell. I'm not sure how it could be made lighter, unless you went with 1/4". This one is 3/8" with laminate. Very nice. If you need minimal protection, with 1/4", you could go the Island Case/Ebay/Holbrook NY route. My guitar player just got one for his Rivera amd and it is very nice. You just need to select one of the upgraded models. Fast ship and pretty reasonable. That said, the EWI is much more rugged.

Jim Wells

Tallahassee, FL

www.pureplatinumband.com

• 2 months later...

So I ended up getting something last weekend for the CP4.

I drove out to Camarillo (and did some relaxin' ;) ) and got an older discontinued Yamaha YBB- 881 for $75 off of CL. This was originally made for the CP33.

I had used the YBB-880 for years with my CP300 & CP5. I included it in the sale of my CP5 two years ago. I knew the quality was good, for a lightweight bag.

So in spite of the extreme tight fit, and considering it was only $75 , plus part of me didn't want to come home empty handed after the 100 mile round trip drive - I took a leap of faith on it. The first thing to go will probably be the zippers, but if I can get a year to 18 months out of it , I'll be happy.

The seller had ordered the CP4 sight unseen and that the official Yamaha CP gig bag, that Aidan had posted about (https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2603861/Re_Short_review_Yamaha_CP4_40_#Post2603861 ) was included in his sale. So I got to see that first hand. The YBB 881 offers way more more substantial padding but at a compromised fit. It's actually more padded then my Nord gig bag for the NP2.

I guess I wasn't into the extra weight of the SKB 76, plus wasn't prepared to shell out over 300 bills on the Soundwear from Germany. If the zippers do fail on this YBB, I'll probably take another chance and just order the Soundwear though. I can't see adding another, almost, 20 lbs. with the SKB, while the soundwear is only 8 lbs.

Really don't understand why Yamaha discontinued these YBB bags. The form factor , size and padding are perfect. Just need a dedicated size for the CP4.

• 4 months later...
Case update/rant. I just received the new Yamaha CP Stage Series Keyboard bag. Around $120. I got this to use for local gigs when the CP4 would be transported in my SUV instead of the equipment trailer. It became too much work to pull the EWI ATA case at 55lbs. and load that into my SUV. So, I unpack the case, it's well made with wheels. Decent protection. Now for the bad. There are no handles on the end of the case, so there's nothing to pull with to roll it. There are 2 fabric handles on the top(over the keys) and one on the bottom, the purpose of which I am unsure. If you reach under the keyboard to grab the lower handle and use that to pull, the design is apparently unbalanced and the keyboard wants to tip over. Maybe someone else wants to weigh in in case I'm not seeing something. Bottom line, I'm keeping it because it is light and serves my purpose and I don't mind carrying instead of rolling it. They could have left the wheels off, it's that unbalanced. Awful. YMMV...

Jim Wells

Tallahassee, FL

www.pureplatinumband.com

I have this case and love the many handles. The wheels work but you have to use two hands which I didn't expect to do when I bought it. The wheels should of been spread to the very edges.

I use the wheels but probably would of liked it lighter without them.

It's not great but it works for the few jazz gigs I'm currently playing. I always wanted a case with name of keyboard, so it fills that need. It's too bad the 38lbs keyboard is 43lbs with case.

bottom line - not the worst music investment I've made.

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251

I'll give you my story in back and forth emails from Yamaha Canada. Pardon the length of this post but it might be interesting to some. My original email to Yamaha Support was on a web form, so I don't have the actual words I wrote, but they're virtually the same as what you've stated, Jim. Also I purchased a music rest which of course doesn't fit the gig bag pockets.

Yam to Me: Thank you for your Yamaha inquiry.

You mentioned you purchased a Yamaha Bag for your CP4. Was it the CP4STAGE bag? This bag is currently FREE of charge when you purchase CP4STAGE. Details are at www.yamahapromos.ca.

You mentioned that the bag you have is not sturdy enough? This bag is not a meant for light usage.

Regards

Me to Yam: I just clicked on the link for the promotion and I didnt see anything for the CP4 Stage Bag being given away free with purchase of the piano.

I ordered the stage bag separately from Long & McQuade in Vancouver. The price was around $100. I also ordered the music stand separately and it cost me around $40.00. It does not fit in the Stage bag.

The instability I was talking about has nothing to do with light or heavy use. The wheels are simply set too close to the centre of the end of the bag, so the bag rocks side to side when you pull it. The pull handle is made of loose strapping material (not a luggage handle) that twists from one side to the other when the bag wobbles, so pulling the bag as it is intended to be pulled, could sprain my wrist.

Then I emailed a pic of the bag:

This is the bag I bought. Notice that the wheels are set toward the centre of the bottom of the bag. For a 40lb instrument packed inside, the wheels should be set on the side edges, like a suitcase. Also note there is no reason in the world that the zippered pouches werent made a little wider so they could hold a CP Stage music rest.

Yam to Me: Sorry to misunderstand your previous inquiry about the bag you purchased. The design can't be changed. The bag was no designed to accommodate a music rest. You could try placing the music rest in the bag underneath the piano. The free bag is placed under the synthesizer tab.

Regards,

Me to Yam: I know this particular design cant be changed, but in order to improve a product or accessory, someone in the company needs to know so it can be improved upon in the future.

When Yamaha decided to produce a music rest which would fit all their CP pianos, then it stands to reason that the designer of their gig bags would include a pocket for that music rest. Also, the placement of the wheels are downright dangerous in transit.

These are points which I was trying to bring to someones attention in the hope that they would be corrected in the future. This is why I sought out a customer comment form on YCs website. Usually a marketing department is where customer feedback is gathered and sent along the corporate chain until it reaches someone who can affect change and improvements. I didnt want to hear that I could have got the bag for free. I expected to hear that you will pass this information along in the name of customer service and satisfaction with your products and accessories.

By the way, placing the music rest in the bag underneath the piano will cause the metal spurs to scratch the piano. This is why a pouch large enough to accommodate the music rest is necessary. I dont care if its outside the bag, under the lid or on the bottom of the bag. Yamaha designed the music rest, Yamaha commissioned the design of the gig bag. End of story.

Yam to Me: I am the Marketing Manager for CPSTAGE and our Synthesizers. I will inform Yamaha Japan about your concerns as I am involved in product development, sorry I did not mention that in my previous email. All concerns from customers get back to Yamaha Japan with reference to the products that manage. The bag design will not be changed for many years - if we even make another version. As I mentioned before the music rest was not put into consideration when the bag was designed. I was mentioning that the bag was available for free so that you might want to acquire it.

Regards,

:freak::facepalm::deadhorse:

Here for the gear.

What could be the purpose of the handles on the top, near the pockets? Thanks for the response. I thought it was me. It also would have been nice to know it was free...

Jim Wells

Tallahassee, FL

www.pureplatinumband.com

Archived