Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New CP4 owners - what case?

timwat

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes Bob I totally agree with all your points about the official CP4 bag and that Yamaha should be ashamed about it. I am so pleased that the shop I purchased from gave me a refund (not the return postage of course). I never actually saw the product until it arrived in the post and was pretty shocked when seeing it. I stupidly assumed that ordering the official bag would be a safe and sensible decision. Anyway the Soundwear bag (I think the official Kawai MP6 case is the same bag with a Kawai badge) is excellent.

I now have three gigs a rehearsal under my belt with the CP4. I've been keeping it in my Gator GK-88.

This bag works well and is pretty durable. I'm hard on stuff. The first one I had blew a zipper tab at 51 weeks and Gator sent me a whole bag (via the vendor).

There is plenty of room in this bag. You can put an FC-3 and an FC-7 at either end of the piano, and stash your cables in the front pocket.

Wes

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

Would the gator gk76 fit the cp4?

Nope, I already tried this! The SKB SC76KW which is similar to the Gator will work but it's a really tight fit, enough to make the CP4 difficult to remove from the case.

'57 Hammond B-3, '60 Hammond A100, Leslie 251, Leslie 330, Leslie 770, Leslie 145, Hammond PR-40

Trek II UC-1A

Alesis QSR

• 1 month later...

I'm done with my horribly shredded 76 key SKB case. I'd upgrade to the 88 but I like the shorter length of the 76.

Before I go any buy something, does anybody have a fresh perspective on the matter? Any rad new case people are using?

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

I replaced the tab on my zipper on one side of the Yamaha YB881 bag that I've been using. Cost me all of $6. The case seems to be holding up fairly well, but I could see the either of the two zippers failing at any time. It's also a bit of a hassle having to scrunch the CP4 into a bag that was designed for the larger CP33.

I only paid $75 + a schlep out to Camarillo and back for it. So I kinda feel I've almost got my money's worth out of it in just short of a year. Optimally, I'd feel good if it did last the rest of this year.

I'll probably take a leap of faith on the Soundwear case , that's been mentioned here several times, when the YB881 bites the dust.

I bought the Road Runner RR Xpress Keyboard Porter Sm88 Regular case. It's light, is a tight fit, and offers basic protection. I bought this case to replace the case I had, which is Gator Cases GK-88 SLIM Keyboard Case. The Gator case offers better protection but is also heavier. I switched to the Roadrunner case because I don't need the extra protection (i.e., I move the CP4 myself) and wanted to reduce the weight. I'm going to sell the Gator case, just haven't got around to posting it yet. If you're interested please send me a PM. It was only used once, is in brand new condition, and I have the box and packaging that it was shipped with.

FWIW -

I am having good luck with those Gator 'Tupperware' style "ATA" cases. I had an S90 in an old one where the carry handle popped off. Gator said it was a known problem that had been fixed and they sent me a replacement handle and it has been problem free since replacing the handle years ago. I just got another one with my Kronos. They are around $400 but if you buy boards from Kraft Music they will provide them bundled with a purchase of a board priced together at street price for the board alone. My Sweetwater rep acts like he doesn't like it but he matches the bundle deal for me. They are light and seem to work well with no zippers to go bad. Only 1 pound heavier than the GK rigid cloth covered cases.

I will need a new case soon for the XK3c. I have one of those Gator GK-76s and the fabriic is beginning to tear and wear out.

Here is the a 88 slim. The 76 may work.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/GKPE88SlimTSA

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

GK-88 slim is 21 pounds ( rigid nylon cloth cover case with wheels). It seems the weight differential between the two line rises as you get longer.

My GK-76 is starting to go bad. I go it on 6/24/13 according to the invoice. It has had hard 2 years put on it. I got it because the original case for my XK3c was a 55 pound Anvil style case and I aint the man I used to be.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

• 7 months later...

Follow up -- I got sick of using my GK-88 because it's just too wide for my van. I prefer to use the side doors.

I bought a GK-88-SLIM Saturday and took it to a gig this afternoon. It fits in my van perfectly (Pontiac Montana SV6 - it goes in sideways through the sliding doors!) ... and fits the CP4 perfectly!

http://i.imgur.com/EyNr9qh.jpg

The slight weight reductions is a nice bonus. Now I can keep my rehearsal board in my GK-88. Swapping cases all the time sucks.

Wes

• 1 month later...

Sadly, no. I keep the music rack in its package, which goes in my Pelican case next to my powered speaker.

BTW, the store ordered me a CP33 music rack, is this the right rack for the CP4? It works fine, but the bottom of the rack is about 1/4" higher than the surface of the piano.

Wes

Yes it does. I upgraded to the CP4 from the CP33 and used the same music rack. You may need to bend the metal prongs from the music rack inward a little bit. Actually, it was more like squeezing the metal prongs toward each other, but it does fit.

Yamaha CP4

Yamaha Motif XF7

My older Yamaha YB881 bag that I've written about multiple times in this thread is barely hangin' on. I've spent almost as much dough having the zippers repaired as what I did on the case - $75.

Plus it's always a pia, after the gig, trying to scrunch the CP4 into a case specifically fit for the CP33.

So call me crazy, but I'm again thinking about spending some big dough and having a custom hard case made by A&S here in N. Hollywood. After 21 months, the CP4 is definitely a long term "keeper" so it would be nice to have a case (that holds the music rest) that I can just kinda *chuck* (actually I'm very easy on my stuffso that's a very light and sensitive chuck ;) ) into the back of my new Forester, and not have to worry about anything. I still have a custom case for my S90 they made me in the early 2000s. It's in great shape, but a bit oversized for the CP4.

Yes, I'll add probably 25-30 lbs. to the weight , but it's not like I'm gigging every night. Plus I'm not getting my monthly money's worth at the La Canada Y/gym, so this would be a little upper body cross training. :D

Other option of course would be the Gator slim, or that German Soundwear case myself and someone else posted about earlier in this thread. But I kinda like supporting the locals with A&S. :cool:

I suspect you could put the music rack into the GK-88-SLIM if you just laid it on top of the padded straps or something. I haven't tried, because I don't need to.

The wheels are sure handy on it.

Is there a place to purchase a Soundwear keyboard case in the US? My Yamaha has torn the zipper for the second and last time. It will be Soundwear or the GK88 Slim.

Jim Wells

Tallahassee, FL

www.pureplatinumband.com

• 3 weeks later...

This is an update to my previous post:

I ordered the new Gator Pro Go case and it fits the CP4 perfectly. The model I ordered was the G-PG-88SLIM, so it's a little snug lengthwise, but not as snug as the Yamaha CP4 case. The music rack does fit in the outside pocket. I tried the GK-88 SLIM and it was a good fit but it added 22 lbs to the keyboard, and the music rack did not fit in the outside pocket. The Pro Go looks well made, zippers look good, handles are riveted in, and there is a shoulder strap for carrying short distances. The back pack straps are probably useless for me on a keyboard this size, I would probably fall over backwards. The only drawback is that there are no wheels. This is ok for me since I load everything on my Rock-n-Roller anyway. Let's see how this case holds up under the rigors of gigging.

Yamaha CP4

Yamaha Motif XF7

Is there a place to purchase a Soundwear keyboard case in the US? My Yamaha has torn the zipper for the second and last time. It will be Soundwear or the GK88 Slim.

Jim, not as far as I know. I've always been in contact with Anke Zächelein at Soundwear sales dept. at : info@soundwear.com He has always replied within 24 hours.

It's the Soundwear 2.29.138.01. It's 8.3 lbs and a year ago it was $295 + $50 ship. Also posted here:

I hav chosen the Soundwear 29138 for my CP4

http://www.soundwear.com/en/?page_id=181

Size: 138x35x16

Perfect fit!

It has wheels but i just carry it under my arm.

Did you get something ? How is it working ?

This is an update to my previous post:

I ordered the new Gator Pro Go case and it fits the CP4 perfectly. The model I ordered was the G-PG-88SLIM, so it's a little snug lengthwise, but not as snug as the Yamaha CP4 case. The music rack does fit in the outside pocket. I tried the GK-88 SLIM and it was a good fit but it added 22 lbs to the keyboard, and the music rack did not fit in the outside pocket. The Pro Go looks well made, zippers look good, handles are riveted in, and there is a shoulder strap for carrying short distances. The back pack straps are probably useless for me on a keyboard this size, I would probably fall over backwards. The only drawback is that there are no wheels. This is ok for me since I load everything on my Rock-n-Roller anyway. Let's see how this case holds up under the rigors of gigging.

Thanks. Please keep me posted on how it holds up. I would kind of prefer wheels for short moving around a stage area , where my Magliner Gemini Jr. dolly is too big to fit. But it's a definite possibility. :)

Unbelievably my Yamaha YB881 bag, for $75 off CL, is still holding up. Probably due to the fact I'm not gigging that muchwhat a concept ! :laugh:

Dave, I bought a Gator Gk88-Slim. It adds weight, but it has wheels and is very sturdy and well made. Velcro straps secure the keyboard inside.I'm happy with it. Bear in mind, for all but fill in gigs my CP4 lives in an ATA case, which is too heavy to deal with solo. Hope you are well!

Jim Wells

Tallahassee, FL

www.pureplatinumband.com

Archived